Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

papa horny michael posted:

To say that Biden hasn't accomplished anything in the face of the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 just reveals that you are being unserious, in my opinion. This was the most expansive and progressive legislation passed in at least a decade and if you think it hasn't effected peoples' lives you should try telling that to any parent who has been receiving the monthly child tax credit. As far as the tedious relitigating of 1400+600 != 2000 (which used to be probatable, I wish it still were), approval of the American Rescue Plan was high among both Democrats and Republicans when it passed, so I think most normal people understood the plan was always for them to receive $2000 cumulatively. Despite the insistance of some to bring it up as a cudgel against their posting enemies, the data shows that it did not read as a promise broken to the average voter.

And that's why Biden's popularity is at an all time high!

Maybe these guys are right and we're wrong...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Dreylad posted:

cspam-modded notwithstanding, disability discourse is just forever going to fail. it's too broad a category to ever be meaningful, someone's mental illness or trauma is different than my quad-amputee buddy, and they have fundamentally different experiences and political priorities even if they agree on a surface level idea of progressive values

disabilities are not a monolith

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Is "idiot" cancelled? I know it has been tried

tumblr kiddies tried doing that with basically every synonym for moron because historically those usually started out as official or medical terms for the mentally disabled

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I don’t think anyone needs to worry about the republicans stealing the 2024 election given all the effort Biden and Harris are putting in to make sure a Republican wins outright

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

i cant believe that guy won at trial and beat 8 counts, wow. that video saved him from the jury. not from the cops who beat him of course

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Excelzior posted:

disabilities are not a monolith

they are when they're used as a shield. you can't be a white guy anymore and say whatever you want , so you need something to hold up as a defense when someone else attacks you

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

They're frantic little babies who have to be constantly coddled and know that big strong daddy cares for them and loves them and kisses them and also that daddy is sexy because their brains are so small they can't differentiate between a loving moron who fails at everything and a sex icon.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

I'm sorry but this is pretty sexist. Replacing "a" with "x" isn't inclusive since "x" is related to the "xy" chromosome pair. This indicates that it is a woman's place to stand behind a man since "x" defines female features while "y" defines make features.

I'd prefer the term "y'πll" since it's more inclusive.

punk rebel ecks has issued a correction as of 22:48 on Oct 7, 2021

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Catpetter1981 posted:

Probably because Democrats have full control of the government and can raise the debt ceiling (or in the analogy ignore the demand to shoot the hostage) anytime they want. If the US defaults it's clearly both parties' fault. Republicans for wanting it to happen and Democrats for not using their majority to keep it from happening.

So the analogy is more like
GOP: "since you won't let us eat that baby we demand that you let us take a hostage and shoot him"
Democrats: "oh god ok we're sorry please don't yell, we'll bring you a hostage and let you shoot him, will you like us then"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

pointing out that the democrats are currently in power is doing a doomerism and hell, probably an ableism too

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

acab, :d2a:

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

ram dass in hell posted:

DV is a little Goebbels idiot mother fucker and it's absolutely insane that anyone takes a single thing that fascist goober says seriously or gives him more respect than a worm

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/Kschwenky/status/1446226329725243394 lmfao

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

why would the us was to train up kill squads in taiwan

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Because it worked so well in Afghanistan.

lmao Taiwan is so incredibly first world and demilitarized there's no way you'd get some sort of civilian guerrilla resistance.

otoh I'm not convinced that the PRC has much of a stomach for extended war either, they are also a nice fat content developed nation, and it's not as if their troops have spent the past twenty plus years stuck in imperial quagmires and overtraining their special forces to be bloodthirsty killing machines

China vs. Taiwan will be missile spam. If it does lead to infantry combat, it'll be the urban version of PLA and Indian military border patrols happy slapping each other in the Himalayas. The Yemen Civil War except both sides are Saudi Arabia

Maximo Roboto has issued a correction as of 22:57 on Oct 7, 2021

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I'd rather not imply people are nazis just because they're pedants.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Lol

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1446093076515237889?s=20

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

affordable access to human rights

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
who has that interview of yang posting borderline black pilled poo poo? it was posted here a few days ago

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I swear, there's more and more similarity between Trumpists and the accelerationist American left (read: insane online people, not the progressives who are currently serving). Both groups would happily watch the country crash and burn (and millions of people hurt/dead) to own the libs. One of the main differences at this point is only one group can win elections.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

skipmyseashells posted:

who has that interview of yang posting borderline black pilled poo poo? it was posted here a few days ago

https://www.andrewyang.com/blog/g3snyneafaf817fkkdsvpnf7w611w4

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

ex post facho posted:

I swear, there's more and more similarity between Trumpists and the accelerationist American left (read: insane online people, not the progressives who are currently serving). Both groups would happily watch the country crash and burn (and millions of people hurt/dead) to own the libs. One of the main differences at this point is only one group can win elections.

yeah, death 2 america

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm reminded of one of my favorite quotes, "Marxism does not acknowledge the importance of the individual in history."

You can still hear the slap of that rake echoing a hundred years later and it is the funniest loving thing.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

ex post facho posted:

That's right bitch

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Bringing up the 2000 dollar check lie is probe-able lmao

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

yeah, death 2 america

really queer Christmas posted:

That's right bitch

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think the bigger issue is that the American Rescue Plan, in addition to the $1400 direct payments, also raised the EITC amount, increased the Child Tax Credit and some other related tax credits, extended and increased unemployment benefits while also exempting much of the amount from tax, extended an increase in food stamp benefits, gave hundreds of billions in aid money to state and local governments, gave over a hundred billion dollars to schools, gave tens of billions to rent assistance and low-income energy aid programs and public housing and homeless aid programs, over a hundred billion for various COVID related healthcare programs, bailed out pensions for 10 million workers, 100% subsidized COBRA, and more.

If someone is saying that all of that is meaningless because the direct payments weren't $2000, and that it would literally be better if it hadn't been passed at all, then you have to wonder about where their priorities really lie.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'I need rent money'

'WE GAVE BILLIONS TO SCHOOLS IN NEW YORK!!!!'

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Still can’t believe Andrew yang of all people wrote this

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

'I need rent money'

'WE GAVE BILLIONS TO SCHOOLS IN NEW YORK!!!!'

"I have $40,000 in medical debt"

"WHY DO YOU WANT POOR KIDS TO STARVE TO DEATH?!"

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
agree w/hypothesis that fancy Pelosi = pick

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

100% subsidized COBRA

NOTE: You are not eligible for the premium assistance if you are eligible for other group health coverage (for example, through a new employer or spouse) or Medicare.

The COBRA premium assistance provisions in the ARP apply only to premiums for coverage from April 1, 2021 – Sept. 30, 2021.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUw8cN6R8o0

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Cpt_Obvious posted:

They're frantic little babies who have to be constantly coddled and know that big strong daddy cares for them and loves them and kisses them and also that daddy is sexy because their brains are so small they can't differentiate between a loving moron who fails at everything and a sex icon.

Wait is this about Biden or Trump

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

libs be like "why is everyone unhappy with the captain of this sinking ship? he gave such a powerful speech about how we should remain calm and offered everyone a free drink coupon."

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm sorry but this is pretty sexist. Replacing "a" with "x" isn't inclusive since "x" is related to the "xy" chromosome pair. This indicates that it is a woman's place to stand behind a man since "x" defines female features while "y" defines make features.

I'd prefer the term "y'πll" since it's more inclusive.

it seems this typeset does not support blackboard notation. very problematic

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean, the eviction crisis stuff isn't exactly making me feel comfortable about the economy to be fair. Absolutely hilarious if you think that opinion polls on the economy have anything to do with the actual reality of the economy though.

The weirdest part of the Biden presidency is how people keep making up stuff to attack him with when there's so much actual real stuff to get mad at him for.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
there's so much real stuff to get mad about! I just happen to dismiss nearly everything as fake stuff, but oh I promise you real stuff exists and boy am I steamed about it with you!

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

skipmyseashells posted:

Still can’t believe Andrew yang of all people wrote this

It's more Yang when you read it in conjunction with his blog post about leaving the Democrats two days later.

Andrew Yang posted:

You can’t solve the problem, so talking assumes the role of solution. Right before he left office, Justin Amash, a Michigan congressman, said, “I’m seeing all of these campaign ads right now, and everyone’s saying, ‘I’m going to do this, I’m going to do that’ . . . No you’re not. You’re not going to do that, because you have no power to do it. The system is not designed to allow you to do that.” It’s much easier and more compelling for a politician to say, “I’m going to fight for each and every one of you!” than “there’s not much I can do about that one.”

also Andrew Yang posted:

Now that I’m not a member of one party or another, I feel like I can be even more honest about both the system and the people in it.

The key reform that is necessary to help unlock our system is a combination of Open Primaries and Ranked Choice Voting, which will give voters more genuine choice and our system more dynamism. It will also prevent the spoiler effect that so many Democrats are concerned about, which is a byproduct of a two party system with a binary contest and simple plurality voting.

I believe I can reach people who are outside the system more effectively. I feel more . . . independent.

[snip]

Breaking up with the Democratic Party feels like the right thing to do because I believe I can have a greater impact this way.

Am I right? Let’s find out. Together.

Is the system designed to allow him to do that? We'll find out. Together.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Pamela Springstein posted:

Amy change will inevitably inconvenience someone, some group, some company's bottom line. thus we should do nothing.
Amy Change for President.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Probably Magic posted:

I'd rather not imply people are nazis just because they're pedants.

that's fine, i will do it. they're pedants in slavish devotion to defending the honor and objectives of a white supremacist fascist who rapes people and is doing at least 2 ongoing ethnic cleansings. they're lil goebbels.