Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Dieselgate politics aside, how reliable are the final generation VW diesels? I'm thinking of getting a fairly boring but comfortable wagon that will run until the expanding sun swallows the earth. My dad's 2001 TDI Jetta has run like a clock with fairly minimal work to over 200k miles but I understand the dieselgate models have a much more complicated emissions system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

CornHolio posted:

I've been thinking about replacing my Challenger, now that it's pushing 75k miles. I love it, it has a big V8 and a 6-speed but I don't drive it in the winter and it's a little cramped on long car rides for my backseat riders.

Wouldn't be until next year at the earliest, maybe even never... but if I did, I'd like to know what I'd buy.

Proposed Budget: Under 40k should do it, I hope. Preferably under 35k.
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Wagon
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, year round, road trips. No towing.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) I want something fun to drive while also pleasant to live with. I'd like a manual transmission but I'm aware that's going to be pretty impossible in a modern wagon, so I'm OK letting it go. AWD would be nice, though I'd get snow tires for the winter. I don't care about any kind of autonomous stuff beyond standard cruise control - ideally I wouldn't get any lane detection, radar cruise, or self-driving stuff, but I'm aware it's 2021 and that may be hard to avoid. Basically a fun-to-drive wagon is what I'm looking for. I'm in Indiana by the way.

I have driven a Volvo V90 and it's pretty high on the list. I don't care much for the drivetrain, though. I don't think it was a T5 that I drove, so maybe that would make things better. Still a big fan though, just don't know how they hold up, and there isn't a Volvo dealer near me. Closest one is maybe 60 miles.

I also really like modern Audis. I don't know much about them other than they're pretty, though.

Modern BMWs and Mercedes don't really do anything for me (and I used to be a big BMW fanboy too). I've driven modern BMWs and they're nice enough, so they're not off of the list, just not high.

I drove a Buick Regal TourX and I loved the functionality but it drove like hot garbage. I was really disappointed because I really liked it otherwise.

Anything else I'm missing? Any suggestions out of those? I think the thing that scares me the most out of all of them is the complexity - my Challenger has an iron block fairly low-tech V8 and a manual, and not much else in terms of drivetrain complexity. I feel confident driving it long distances knowing that even for a Dodge, I don't have to worry much about breaking down. I don't feel as confident in any of those other vehicles.

Your Challenger will be more reliable than a modern Volvo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z_RSz64LC0&t=410s

I would suggest a Kia Stinger GT. The Stinger is a sportback so it will give you wagon-like practicality for hauling people and things, the 6-cylinder Hyundai/Kia products have been reliable, AWD is available, and a Stinger GT definitely comes in under budget. You won't be disappointed by the straight-line performance of the Stinger, and the chassis holds up too (the Stinger's development lead was also the former chief engineer for BMW M.)

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I am looking to retire my 2009 Civic for a fully electric commuter vehicle. I will be keeping MY WIFEs 2012 civic until we can swing a PHEV SUV. My daily commute is 60 miles.

From my googling and youtube adventures it seems like the Leaf, VM Golf and maybe the Niro? I am trying to stay under 25k, and I live in Minnesota.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Looking to buy my first vehicle, which coincides with a move to an area that regularly sees snow and ice for 6 months of the year (in Canada, Northern Alberta). Looking for something under 15,000 and have been keeping an eye on used vehicles for a bit now, just looking to get some ideas for vehicles to focus in/avoidIdea would be to get something with AWD or at least FWD, SUV, Truck or Van to help with trips down the larger city for large grocery and other trips. Towing not important to me, Reliability however is.

Unfortunately for me the combination of current vehicle market and the current month makes this likely a bad time to buy but I’m going to need something within the next few months, any input would be welcomed!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Coolwhoami posted:

Looking to buy my first vehicle, which coincides with a move to an area that regularly sees snow and ice for 6 months of the year (in Canada, Northern Alberta). Looking for something under 15,000 and have been keeping an eye on used vehicles for a bit now, just looking to get some ideas for vehicles to focus in/avoidIdea would be to get something with AWD or at least FWD, SUV, Truck or Van to help with trips down the larger city for large grocery and other trips. Towing not important to me, Reliability however is.

Unfortunately for me the combination of current vehicle market and the current month makes this likely a bad time to buy but I’m going to need something within the next few months, any input would be welcomed!

Prius with snow tires.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Thanks to all you jerks I bought a Prius. It's great for something that isn't stick shift, feels like a drat spaceship to drive with the adaptive cruise control. We are going to sell two other cars so hopefully the "getting hosed buying a used car in this market" will even out in the wash. It's incredible that the insurance for a 2018 Prius is less than for a 2010 Kia Forte.

AI has now talked me into buying a Miata and a Prius so I don't know what's left on your bingo chart.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I think you just need a brown diesel station wagon and you’ll complete the trifecta

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

I think you just need a brown diesel station wagon and you’ll complete the trifecta

We would also accept an RX7 with a giant wing.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Or a right hand drive Japanese import, that works too

moana
Jun 18, 2005

luminalflux posted:

Or a right hand drive Japanese import, that works too
okay, I went and searched for "yellow" and here's my next car, I love it already: https://www.duncanimports.com/used/Nissan/1987-Nissan-Be-1-5e42140f0a0e0ae85f1750cfb33ee76c.htm

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Get this: wood paneling

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Internet Explorer posted:

Get this: wood paneling

inside n out

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

adaptive cruise control really is awesome for the most part, although it can be embarrassing if your car brakes really hard when somebody is making a turn they're obviously going to clear but the car just sees something with a massive speed delta and slams the brakes. I learned pretty fast to cancel it if somebody decides to turn

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I have Ford’s new hands free (on certain roads) driving thing and for the most part I’m just happier using regular adaptive cruise and steering myself. Fords lane keeping wanders inside the lane and rides the edges a little too much for me a lot of the time. It’s probably great driving 80 through Nebraska but 80 in Nevada near the sierras it’s less stellar imo.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Of the 2.5 jeeps owned to keep one running.

kri kri posted:

I am looking to retire my 2009 Civic for a fully electric commuter vehicle. I will be keeping MY WIFEs 2012 civic until we can swing a PHEV SUV. My daily commute is 60 miles.

From my googling and youtube adventures it seems like the Leaf, VM Golf and maybe the Niro? I am trying to stay under 25k, and I live in Minnesota.
Staying under 25k and buying a new EV is pretty tough. The Leaf is the only one that gets under 25k new and that's with the tax rebate. The Niro EV and e-Golf are closer to 40k, 32.5k with the tax rebate.

The Chevy Bolt and the Hyundai Ioniq can get there with dealer rebates but there was a big recall on their traction batteries so I would avoid them for now.

If buying used there's many more options but the important thing to keep in mind is range and weather. If it's just a city commuter then a range of 50 should be fine, but that's 50 miles in good conditions. In cold weather you can lose up to 15% of range because the battery has to use power to warm itself up to be useful and because running the heat uses more power than A/C.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 2, 2021

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Of the 2.5 jeeps owned to keep one running.

Staying under 25k and buying a new EV is pretty tough. The Leaf is the only one that gets under 25k new and that's with the tax rebate. The Niro EV and e-Golf are closer to 40k, 32.5k with the tax rebate.

The Chevy Bolt and the Hyundai Ioniq can get there with dealer rebates but there was a big recall on their traction batteries so I would avoid them for now.

If buying used there's many more options but the important thing to keep in mind is range and weather. If it's just a city commuter then a range of 50 should be fine, but that's 50 miles in good conditions. In cold weather you can lose up to 15% of range because the battery has to use power to warm itself up to be useful and because running the heat uses more power than A/C.

Thanks, I’m buying used not new

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

kri kri posted:

Thanks, I’m buying used not new
I re-read your post and saw you live in Minnesota. If possible be ready to install a level 2 home charging station that runs off 220volts. That way you can be sure you can fully charge at home, and your car's cabin can pre-heat while plugged in and not eat up battery range. Most EVs have that function, either through an app or through the EV info and climate control menus.

And yeah, with used you will have more options.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so i was originally gonna buy a car earlier this year but decided to hold off. today i was met with the extremely pleasant news that my idiot brother got in a (car accident with my car). fortunately he's okay but the car has been pretty much destroyed, so now i have no choice but to get a new car.

but it seems he picked an incredibly lovely time to do such a thing because i guess there's a chip shortage or something and everything is super pricey now? are there any good options at this point? i'm even willing to buy a cheap used car if possible.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Budget? Location? Requirements? Use case?

The one piece of good news is that your insurance will probably pay out more than it otherwise would because of the market being so crazy.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

KillHour posted:

Budget? Location? Requirements? Use case?

$17k at the most (for new)
$5k at the most (for used)
I'm in Los Angeles
Just looking for some reliable, controls well, and i'll mainly be using it for very local minor things (groceries, errands, etc.)/.

quote:

The one piece of good news is that your insurance will probably pay out more than it otherwise would because of the market being so crazy.

my car is (was?) a 2004 nissan sentra. think i'll get much at all from something that old?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have more a financial question (life question?) than car choice.

Is a Tesla a good choice for me?

So, I'm thinking of Tesla. Well, I've always thought about a Tesla. Even when I bought my new Bolt last year. And that Bolt has served me well, going on multiple short (<5 hour one way) road trips. However, minor things annoy me. The slow charge speed, the laggy infotainment. But it's a great car, it's fun to drive.

And then the recall last month. Suddenly learned mine was a (race chance but still) fire hazard. And it was less the recall one mine and more than the entire range was borked. Why am I trusting GM? So I got bored and looked at trades for it if I ever wanted to jump. And I plugged my Bolt into Tesla's site. Turns out they're giving me only a few thousand less than I paid. And then I looked at financing for a M3LR. The monthly payment was... high, but not bad.

And this is where I'm at. Quick rundown of my finances. I don't make much. After tax, health insurance, and 401k, I make ~$1600 a month. My house is paid off. I have enough in the bank to buy the M3 outright after trade if I needed to. Not have a lot left but it is possible. My utilities (including internet and cell) are ~$200 a month. I tend to spend ~$900 or so a month on stuff. I can cut that down by cutting out a bunch of after work junk food that I don't need. And not eating out every single day, or at least not going all out on my lunch break.

I guess what's killing me is that the M3LR is what I consider my end goal car. Idk about forever car, but certainly one that'll last maybe a decade. One that I don't compromise on. And is still practical.

I guess what I'm asking is, I have the means to afford a car I've always wanted. But should I actually follow through with it

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

You don't say how much the Tesla payment will be. The key factor is the extent a change in circumstances, losing your job or getting sick, will make the car unaffordable. If you are in a good place financially and it will fulfill a dream, I think go for it. I did the same thing, nice car, 1/5 of my post tax and pension income.

I don't quite understand a model 3 being anyone's dream car, but you do you and the resale values are good.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

I'm in Los Angeles
Just looking for some reliable, controls well, and i'll mainly be using it for very local minor things (groceries, errands, etc.)/.

my car is (was?) a 2004 nissan sentra. think i'll get much at all from something that old?

New at that budget, you're pretty much just looking at a Hyundai accent, or KIA Rio, maybe a Forte with the right incentives.
Or Nissan sells a cheap Versa if you love Nissan for some weird reason.
Used, you could maybe stretch for a decent used Prius, but honestly just get a Corolla.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

You're going to only find the absolute worst of the worst at that budget. It's pretty much a situation of "get anything as long as it's in decent shape."

quote:

Looks like they go for 4-6 grand depending on features and mileage. They also have to cover tax on it. Can you add that to your budget to get you in something less than 10 years old?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 7, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KillHour posted:

You're going to only find the absolute worst of the worst at that budget. It's pretty much a situation of "get anything as long as it's in decent shape."

This. $17k barely gets you into new cars, $5k used cars in the current market are a crapshoot.

I'm assuming $5k is your cash budget and $17k involves financing? Is there a reason you don't want to finance a used car?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I'm not sure I'd trust elon musk any more than GM.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

knox_harrington posted:

You don't say how much the Tesla payment will be. The key factor is the extent a change in circumstances, losing your job or getting sick, will make the car unaffordable. If you are in a good place financially and it will fulfill a dream, I think go for it. I did the same thing, nice car, 1/5 of my post tax and pension income.

I don't quite understand a model 3 being anyone's dream car, but you do you and the resale values are good.

After trade I'd be paying $400 a month. And I mean if we're taking actual dream cars, then I'd want a Taycan. But a Model 3 is actually attainable in my life and has what I need

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Where should I be posting my ads for selling my cars? Autotrader? Facebook marketplace? Craigslist? It's been a while since I sold a car.

edit: also thanks yall, now my husband wants to buy an AZ-1

moana fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 7, 2021

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

moana posted:

Where should I be posting my ads for selling my cars? Autotrader? Facebook marketplace? Craigslist? It's been a while since I sold a car.

My old boss said Carmax offered him a good sum above a dealer. Private will almost be higher i would imagine but you also add hassle. After selling random poo poo on craigslist I will never use it again, too many creeps. i think carvana buys cars too¿

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I'd go to all of the internet buyers first (Carvana, Carmax, Vroom, etc) and whoever gives you the bet offer, that's now your worst case number. I'd probably just list on FBM, Craigslist wants $5 and I got absolutely no traction there last time around.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

moana posted:

Don't do that get a Cappuccino instead.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

moana posted:

We recently sold one through NextDoor. Any of those should work.

If it's not a special snowflake that only 5 people in the country might be interested in, then any general forum will do.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You should put them on BaT as a joke.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

New at that budget, you're pretty much just looking at a Hyundai accent, or KIA Rio, maybe a Forte with the right incentives.
Or Nissan sells a cheap Versa if you love Nissan for some weird reason.
Used, you could maybe stretch for a decent used Prius, but honestly just get a Corolla.

at this point, i'd be legit happy with any of those. but the reason i was asking was cause aren't even those cheap ones having their prices skyrocket cause of the chip shortage?

KillHour posted:

Looks like they go for 4-6 grand depending on features and mileage. They also have to cover tax on it. Can you add that to your budget to get you in something less than 10 years old?

the numbers i gave were probably best case scenario, but yeah i can add a few extra thousand if need be

IOwnCalculus posted:

This. $17k barely gets you into new cars, $5k used cars in the current market are a crapshoot.

I'm assuming $5k is your cash budget and $17k involves financing? Is there a reason you don't want to finance a used car?

i'm not opposed to it, but CAN you get financing for used cars? i thought you could only do that for new?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

i'm not opposed to it, but CAN you get financing for used cars? i thought you could only do that for new?

The overwhelming majority of used cars are purchased with a loan. This is completely normal.

(I'm not saying it's a good thing, but I'm saying its normal)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Interest rates are typically a bit higher for used cars

But it’s not going to be more than buying a new car (theoretically, unless that used car is worth pretty close to new)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You can get a pretty nice used Prius for under 20 grand and it will last forever (or 350k miles, whichever comes first). Do that.

I like credit unions for used car loans. My local one has crazy low rates that nobody can ever seem to match (currently 1.99% for used up to 60 months and new up to 72 months), but if you need a recommendation, PenFed is pretty good and are available country wide. You just need to stick $5 in a savings account to be a "member"

https://www.penfed.org/auto/used-auto-loans

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 7, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I don't know about where you are, but around my area (Ontario, Canada) you can't get a loan*** for a used car thats more than 5 years old.
Or you couldn't as of several years ago. Might be different now/ where you are, but you might want to check that out.

*** From a legit bank or credit union. I'm sure Vinnie's payday loans and pasta will give you a 19.99% loan for that 6000 dollar 2001 Hyundai Excel

E: Also, 17k for a used car will probably actually get you something better than a 17k new car.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 8, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Edit: misread

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KillHour posted:

You should put them on BaT as a joke.

I heard it takes months to get listed on BaT these days, their queue is that long