Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I just want to see him finish breaking all of James' records because Matt continuing to dunk on him is great.

This but without breaking Ken's record, which seems unlikely since he plays a less risky, more consistent game than James did.

Crush James, but leave Ken on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He has to continue performing at this level for about as long again as he already has to beat Ken, which seems like a big ask

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
What's the likelihood of him becoming a Chaser or being roped into some other game show in the future? After TOC of course

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Ken needs to use every tool available to him as host to sabotage Matt before his 74th game.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Wow these three not knowing Ricky Martin was in Menudo and two of them not knowing about the 1906 quake

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

CPColin posted:

Wow these three not knowing Ricky Martin was in Menudo and two of them not knowing about the 1906 quake

The quake was easy but I'd be lying if I knew anything about Menudo.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Some excellent wrong answers in the first round today, but ew at Matt wearing one of those shirts where the collar is a different color

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

It’s always annoying to see people give wrong responses to gimmick categories, and most of the time they forget the gimmick. The writers make it way easier by constraining the answer-space, and yet people still blow it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

mlnhd posted:

It’s always annoying to see people give wrong responses to gimmick categories, and most of the time they forget the gimmick. The writers make it way easier by constraining the answer-space, and yet people still blow it.

To be fair, it's a hell of a lot harder to keep track of gimmicks when you're chasing Matt around the board and skipping between categories. I always figured that if I went on TV I'd take care of any gimmick categories first before I forget about them.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
https://twitter.com/t0m3k71/status/1445225763112947714?t=2cbdU780xrgMhgGdM2H4Bw&s=19

https://twitter.com/AmodioMatt/status/1445251925222596609?t=A7uct_u7HgVe9auXZ7sH1A&s=19

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Matt's hip and his haters are just a bunch of stick in the mud.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Okay I'm starting to like this guy more. Also tonight's final jeopardy was way to easy with that hint.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
What is "Meet me in St. Louis 🍑"

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I blind guessed the FJ answer Thermidor, from the French Revolutionary calendar and I feel like a golden god.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I had absolutely no idea and guessed "Regalia" which probably isn't french at all and doesn't actually mean "Reg" (gift) + "Helios" (sun).

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I guessed Chaudcadeau because I had no goddamn clue other than knowing the french words for hot and gift.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Why did FJ go from a $200 Teen Tournament clue for the past few weeks to something that would maybe be a triple stumper in the TOC? Did Matt win too much money early in the week and this is their reaction?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Why did FJ go from a $200 Teen Tournament clue for the past few weeks to something that would maybe be a triple stumper in the TOC? Did Matt win too much money early in the week and this is their reaction?
LOL I was thinking that "An Apple a Day Keeps the Doctor Away" to "Thermidor" was such incredible difficulty whiplash.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Remember when Trebek had to address the audience that the FJ clues have not been obscenely difficult for a week straight and then that episode was a 200$ clue question for FJ?

They cheeeeaaat.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It’s the third-party lawyers that choose the categories and clues for the whole show from a giant list given to them by the writers, IIRC.

Still, that was a really hard clue that was also not written the best. I got it, but I am French.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I thought spelling wasn’t an issue in final? Or is it an issue if the spelling adds an extra syllable?

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Douchebag posted:

I thought spelling wasn’t an issue in final? Or is it an issue if the spelling adds an extra syllable?

if it changes the sound it's an issue.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

mennoknight posted:

if it changes the sound it's an issue.

Ok thanks, explains tonight’s Final.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I have apparently been pronouncing that word wrong my entire life.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

No you haven’t. The judges are wrong. That’s a normal pronunciation in my dialect.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
It was also completely irrelevant.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I got Thermidor, but it was entirely by coincidence. I've been listening to part two of the Sandman audiobook that Audible did, and one of the chapters in it, named 'Thermidor', takes place in revolutionary France in the month of Thermidor. If I hadn't listened to that story the day before I'd have been stumped.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There were two clues in the Thermidor game where they should have asked for more info. The President who went back to Braintree in 1801 (Matt answered Adams, it could have been John or John Q) and the 1991 Grammy clue where Matt answered “Cole” (it could have been Natalie or Nat King).

Not calling Matt out here because I’m sure he would have gotten them both if he’d been promoted for more info, but they were both situations where he should have been prompted to give more.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I got the Thermidor clue right away. :shrug: It's pretty funny when people in this thread get mad about clues that are UNFAIRLY HARD because they didn't know the answer.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Zebra? WtF! That was a $200 level fj :psyduck:

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Iron Crowned posted:

I thought Zebra :shrug:

I assume when Matt eventully loses, there will be a spike of new posts which will by its nature spoil the loss. Was there a way to prevent this or it'd be impossible due to how it's aired? I don't remember too well the thread around James' loss.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I've resigned myself to the fact that it's going to be impossible to avoid spoilers for Matt's eventual loss. The show airs really early in some markets, I think around noon, so even if it doesn't get leaked before airing, it will still be out there very early in the day.

Even if you avoid this thread I guarantee there will be articles all over the Internet, including from major new organizations, that will either flat out spoil it or put out articles like: "No spoilers, but you may want to watch Jeopardy tonight! *wink, wink*", which is exactly what happened the day James lost. I'm pretty sure I got a push notification from AP News or a similar organization on my phone a half day before it aired where I live.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Well, luckily Jeopardy is a game show and not prestige television.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

packetmantis posted:

I got the Thermidor clue right away. :shrug: It's pretty funny when people in this thread get mad about clues that are UNFAIRLY HARD because they didn't know the answer.

I knew the answer and that doesn't change that it's much more difficult than say the Who Framed Roger Rabbit one or an apple a day keeps the doctor away. People were commenting on the weird gulf in difficulty between clues.

Iron Crowned posted:

See like tonight's. That's a 200 dollar Biology or Zoology category clue.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 9, 2021

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

packetmantis posted:

Well, luckily Jeopardy is a game show and not prestige television.
True,the fact is Jeopardy is barely above stuff like TMZ or court shows in the landscape of TV to the general public due to being in the wasteland of daytime programming. The needle probably doesn't normally move for superchamps and ratings until a 20 game streak mininium. Matt seeing 6 hosts plus the gong show behind the scenes skews things a bit though.

I know it'll likely be spoiled 5 different ways before airtime when it happens and definitely by the New York Post. I wasn't sure if we could talk about the proverbial elephant in the room beforehand or until everyone on the forum that started Slender Man (a J! 6 question today) could have seen it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I think there's a fair chance it will stay relatively under wraps now that Richards is gone. He was notorious for spoiler promos amongst other, more nefarious things.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Richards wasn’t in charge when James had his original run though and that was still spoiled including with a leaked screenshot of the scores at the end of double jeopardy

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

HookShot posted:

Richards wasn’t in charge when James had his original run though and that was still spoiled including with a leaked screenshot of the scores at the end of double jeopardy

There was that whole King James website too...

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
That website was weird. Did James or someone else create that?

As much as I'd think that everyone will want to compare Matt to Ken, James and Brad, I'd try to separate him from the others for now & not because he's the reigning champion. I'd like to think the GOAT invitational was the grand finale of both Alex and Harry Friedman and anything after being a transitional era (elongated due to the botched handoff) until a new EP and full time host are locked down. Unrealistic of course given the situation and negligible change in structure but the comparisons wastes more energy and time than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Island Nation posted:

That website was weird. Did James or someone else create that?

He claims it wasn't him but it 100% was him. It was up and ready to go before his run even began.