Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You have tiered missions given out by the traders, they're really minimal but they're a lot better than nothing at all. Gives you some goals and agency beyond simple collection of resources and avoiding death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Vib Rib posted:

Doesn't 7D2D also not have an end goal? The only one I remember was in a mod.

It doesnt have an overarching goal but it does have Trader given missions that get harder after X amount.
Level 5 (I think) has you searching for an item in the skyscrapers, or clearing one out.
I forget, its been awhile since I did them.

e:fb new page

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
7dtd basic end goal is to work toward surviving every day 7. It have trader mission to earn reward and most house/poi are mini dungeon instead of generic house.

The game is also minecraft, so you can lego fortress, giant statue of yourself, or physic based trap to mess with zombies.

I guess the game could use some more unique anti-fortress zombie to spice things up.

It could also end the game like State of Decay when you win by freeing zone from bosses.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Now that I think about it, I would like 7dtd end game to be liberate and maintain liberation from x amount of zone/biome from local superboss with unique gimmicks. It would take advanatge of the game system and give incentives for players to build a local fortress on each zone at certain advantages terrain. The fortress would specifically be build to creatively deal with the boss’ gimmick. Then blood moon night could a quest to guard a liberated zone.

Boss example such as:
Frozen Juggernaut in snow biome being immune to knock back and take less from
explosive. So you have to use more land based trap and pitfall to kill it before it reach the fortress.

Burning Juggernaut that can torch anything on fire, so you have to build fortress out of nonflammable material or in the artificial lake.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Vib Rib posted:

This was something I had to figure out rather than ever being told: there is a path through each POI that doesn't require breaking doors or walls.

Really cool thing here - there are pretty much always lights on the path that you are "supposed" to follow. There will be a torch, or a yellow flashlight, or a lantern, etc. If you ever get lost, double back to the last light, then go forward to the next light. There are also frequently little hidden bits of goodies in the walls or the ceilings that you can reach with some clever demolition or frame building, but you never need to do that to get to the end.

It's one of my bigger issues with mods though - some mods, like Darkness Falls, will randomly lock doors and make following the intended path much more difficult for no adequate reason, and a lot of community POI designers never got the memo on how the vanilla POIs are designed with that lit path in mind.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

If a POI gets reset from a quest or timer, or if you find one you already know, you can just dig in to the one correct outer wall or go backwards up the secret escape hatch and go straight to the treasure room! The game literally won't even try to stop you, like Flesh Forge said it's totally okay with it. I adore it.

Totally. It's a bit funny sometimes to go backwards, "oh, yup, that looks like it's supposed to be a jump scare... oh, that's a breaking floor..." etc.

I'd love for there to be spoilage of food bringing in new preservation methods/usage for fridges +/- usage for stoves as a prettier/more effective campfire. I'd like the trader quests to mean something. I know each trader has their own items they're focused on, but better imo would be establishing trading routes between traders meant they both would have those items. I'd like for the traders to have NPCs to interact with (a hunter NPC who you can pay to show you a bear den that spawns one of those quests in the woods, things like that) and who get more numerous/better interactions when you do more stuff for the trader.

But as it is, it's a load of fun and well worth the $.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Dirk the Average posted:

It's one of my bigger issues with mods though - some mods, like Darkness Falls, will randomly lock doors and make following the intended path much more difficult for no adequate reason, and a lot of community POI designers never got the memo on how the vanilla POIs are designed with that lit path in mind.
Yeah! I got pretty far in Darkness Falls before I realized what felt so off about it. Couldn't put my finger on it till I saw the pattern. Even pre-existing POIs were suddenly way less fun to navigate and everything felt messier and less structured. The focus on random locks really upset the flow of things.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
I posted this in the management thread but I guess this is more of a survival game technically speaking.

Anyone still playing Space Engineers? I know it's technically an old game but I just got it and wow I've been blown away by the mechanics and everything you can do in the game. Love games that let you custom engineer stuff to make resource gathering easier and easier (other than just tools or prefab buildings that just do everything faster as you level or whatever).

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
There was a thread long ago but I've not kept up on it in a while. Honestly I can't believe it's still being developed.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
FYI, Subnautica: Below Zero is now available on Gamepass.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Trivia posted:

There was a thread long ago but I've not kept up on it in a while. Honestly I can't believe it's still being developed.

Still being developed, they are actually fixing things, also breaking other things. Subgrid inertia issues were addressed but your engineer's right hand holding an invisible welder when empty. Stuff like that.

I'm playing a game with a pile of mods. Took a long time before I even left the earth-like and I'm building up my mining bases on the moon while rolling around on a Rover which is based on a ship I stole, then modified, from the Air Traffic mod.

There's an encounter modpack that adds a bee faction.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Canuckistan posted:

FYI, Subnautica: Below Zero is now available on Gamepass.
It's also currently on sale on PSN if you're a filthy console-haver like myself.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Another Icarus beta weekend is coming up, it was scheduled this week to introduce the new desert biome, but that has been pushed back 2 weeks (as have all the other beta weekends), in favor of something idfferent. It sounds like arctic biome wasn't actually finished for the last beta weekend so they're putting out a finished version, with additional enemy types and some extra terrain that was missing last time. They do say that there's a mission this weekend, but it's supposed to occupy the entire weekend and only involves interacting with crashed satellites on the map, so it's not clear whether they actually have a mission system or they just added 3 POIs to the map and the marketing puffery is talking about it as a mission.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

30.5 Days posted:

Another Icarus beta weekend is coming up, it was scheduled this week to introduce the new desert biome, but that has been pushed back 2 weeks (as have all the other beta weekends), in favor of something idfferent. It sounds like arctic biome wasn't actually finished for the last beta weekend so they're putting out a finished version, with additional enemy types and some extra terrain that was missing last time. They do say that there's a mission this weekend, but it's supposed to occupy the entire weekend and only involves interacting with crashed satellites on the map, so it's not clear whether they actually have a mission system or they just added 3 POIs to the map and the marketing puffery is talking about it as a mission.

I guess they called it earlier in the thread that this game was rushed and overly optimistic with its development goals.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So just to be clear, Icarus's whole main gimmick still isn't implemented/playable right? The one where you go to space between outings and do upgrades and stuff?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

So just to be clear, Icarus's whole main gimmick still isn't implemented/playable right? The one where you go to space between outings and do upgrades and stuff?

You can go back to space (there's just no reason to), outings are timed (because the servers shut down at the end), and you can upgrade your character. Until now there has been no reason to return to space and no missions that you're ostensibly doing on the ground. They're acting like that changes this weekend, because there are three POIs to visit, spread across the entire map, but it's not clear what you can do there or what you get for doing it or if there's any point. The "mission" still ends at the end of the beta weekend.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey Rust Console edition get a new update (at least for the Series X), 4.37 GB. Which considering the game is I think only a seven gig download is a sign of a lot of improvements or they just can’t do small patches for some reason.

Edit: looking at the what’s new, it seems they did do a lot of fixes.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

30.5 Days posted:

You can go back to space (there's just no reason to), outings are timed (because the servers shut down at the end), and you can upgrade your character. Until now there has been no reason to return to space and no missions that you're ostensibly doing on the ground. They're acting like that changes this weekend, because there are three POIs to visit, spread across the entire map, but it's not clear what you can do there or what you get for doing it or if there's any point. The "mission" still ends at the end of the beta weekend.

That's rough because the high concept is really interesting. I was very excited to have a more casual mission-based survival game I could gently caress around with with friends that was more focused on maximizing efficiency in timed runs. That kind of gameplay loop seems like it would make for a fun friday night with beers, rather than Ark or Conan or Valheim "Hey do you guys want to commit to six to eight weeks of constant grinding and basebuilding?"

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Hey Rust Console edition get a new update (at least for the Series X), 4.37 GB. Which considering the game is I think only a seven gig download is a sign of a lot of improvements or they just can’t do small patches for some reason.

Edit: looking at the what’s new, it seems they did do a lot of fixes.

I could point you to the ARK method of file size bloat.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HelloSailorSign posted:

I could point you to the ARK method of file size bloat.

Is it worse then Warzone?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Is it worse then Warzone?

I have no idea what Warzone is or what issues it has, but ARK's now at 100GB file size. I think it was 60GB a few years ago?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

HelloSailorSign posted:

I have no idea what Warzone is or what issues it has, but ARK's now at 100GB file size. I think it was 60GB a few years ago?

Call of Duty: Warzone was over 200gb at one point.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Do you have all expansions and extra maps downloaded because ARK is like 300GB for me, albeit with a few mods.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Private Speech posted:

Do you have all expansions and extra maps downloaded because ARK is like 300GB for me, albeit with a few mods.

Nah that's just default download, I don't have it installed at the moment.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Christ, I tried going back and starting a new game of medieval dynasty but I just don't have it in me. I played for a little over 20 hours way back in Early access and had a fairly large village but I forgot how laborious basically everything is in this game. I could be wrong but it feels like they made the hammer swing about twice as slow as it did before so constructing a building is annoying as hell between the slow swings and having to contend with encumbrance while holding 8 logs. Possibly you can get upgrades that make it go faster but I probably won't be finding out.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

explosivo posted:

Christ, I tried going back and starting a new game of medieval dynasty but I just don't have it in me. I played for a little over 20 hours way back in Early access and had a fairly large village but I forgot how laborious basically everything is in this game. I could be wrong but it feels like they made the hammer swing about twice as slow as it did before so constructing a building is annoying as hell between the slow swings and having to contend with encumbrance while holding 8 logs. Possibly you can get upgrades that make it go faster but I probably won't be finding out.
You can choose Customize in New Game to turn off weight system, infinite stamina, and Fast Crafting that finish all in one loop.

There are skill that let you swing faster later.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh nice, maybe I'll check those settings out. I do like the game it's just a few of those things that really put me off of it.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Trivia posted:

Is that because there's like a better spiritual successor that everyone's migrated to? Feels like such a unique take on voxel crafting so I'd love recommendations on anything similar.

REDjackeT posted:

Still being developed, they are actually fixing things, also breaking other things. Subgrid inertia issues were addressed but your engineer's right hand holding an invisible welder when empty. Stuff like that.

I'm playing a game with a pile of mods. Took a long time before I even left the earth-like and I'm building up my mining bases on the moon while rolling around on a Rover which is based on a ship I stole, then modified, from the Air Traffic mod.

There's an encounter modpack that adds a bee faction.

I haven't tried anything modded, can you recommend any?

Also haven't tried online play. Is it all toxic griefing PVP or can you find chill servers?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I thought Medieval Dynasty was more about going out in the woods and starting from scratch like most survival games, didn't realize there'd be so much going back and forth between existing villages.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can't have an RPG without fetch quests

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Oysters Autobio posted:

Also haven't tried online play. Is it all toxic griefing PVP or can you find chill servers?

There are chill places but I don't generally play online. Not sure where to check outside of the discord server for Splitsie, a SE youtube/streamer guy.

As far as mods, it depends on what you want to do. You do need to enable Experimental Mode in the game settings. You don't need to restart your world to add mods or flip into experimental mode.

If you want enemies you need Modular Encounter Systems, like maybe start with Air Traffic and Surface Occupation for stuff that you can poke. Abandoned Settlements is another easier one. Reavers aren't actually THAT bad and the MES mod has a system where you need to have enough stuff built up before the harder stuff spawns.

I've used some of the AQD mods like the QoL set (which comes with a bunch of other mods) and the Conveyor Expansion mod. I've also used some of Alright's mods like the Frames which just adds some truss-like blocks.

The two scripts I use generally are Isy's Solar Alignment which is some easy to set up solar/oxygen farm solar tracking and Automatic LCDs which requires more setup/config and you NEED to bookmark the guide but it's great for printing a ton of useful info on LCD screens. You do need to have Experimental Mode on and change your world settings to allow scripts, then plop a Programming Block down and load the script into it.

Some general QoL stuff/things I won't play without:

Build Vision lets you change settings on blocks by looking at them and copy-paste to similar blocks

Sneaky Sounds lowers the volume on tools and the weather effects

The Paint Gun makes it easier to repaint certain blocks that might be partially covered by other blocks

Hud Compass does just what it says

Edit;
The bees - I have not tried them yet as I am currently on the moon and they might be atmosphere only?

The Moon

REDjackeT fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 8, 2021

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Vib Rib posted:

I thought Medieval Dynasty was more about going out in the woods and starting from scratch like most survival games, didn't realize there'd be so much going back and forth between existing villages.

The funny thing is that it's basically just like how "I'm going to move to the woods and live off the land" worked irl.

Oh, maw, paw, and little Gebedia are moving out west. Gonna homestead, live off the land, all on our own. Well, maybe we'll sell some of our lumber to buy tools. Aw, Gebedia got sick, better get a doctor. Oh no, there are bandits around! Maybe we should live a bit closer to our neighbors. And then you get a village.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Oysters Autobio posted:

Is that because there's like a better spiritual successor that everyone's migrated to? Feels like such a unique take on voxel crafting so I'd love recommendations on anything similar.

It's largely because, like many sandboxes, there's no overarching PURPOSE to build towards. As a sandbox to play with friends it's pretty fun. If your goal is to build big ships or bases, then cool. But after a while you realize there's no purpose to anything you build. Hell, even making a really cool ship is pointless because there's little if anything to do with it. Plus it takes AGES to fix the thing after it gets battered.

The most fun I had with the game was starting on a planet with a friend and getting to space. It felt kinda like Kerbal Space Program but in 3D. We had a big complicated ship made with staging and everything. It was easily the best experience I had in the game, and that was because we a had a PURPOSE: Get to space to find platinum to bring back to make X so we could then do Y.

But the whole thing falls apart once you get situated in space. After that there's no progression.

Also it's hell on your system unless you've got a beefy rig.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I've always hated the combat in Space Engineers, mainly because everything feels overtuned. It's almost always over in five seconds and those five seconds can represent hours of work being vaporized. And don't get me started on how loving bad on foot combat is, those dlc campaigns they added are cool, if not for the fact that every turret in them can 2-3 shot you, instantly fires as soon as you come into view, fire like 50 shots a second and are extremely bullet spongy.

I usually played with mods to make ship weapons significantly less damaging and armor stronger so combat can actually last a perceivable amount of time and 10x'ing player health so I could actually tell I was being shot at before I died, and it still felt bad.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Trivia posted:

It's largely because, like many sandboxes, there's no overarching PURPOSE to build towards.

But the whole thing falls apart once you get situated in space. After that there's no progression.

I had that issue. Adding in some hostiles and the AQD Vanilla Ore Distribution mod helped. The ore spawn mod means you get the basics and cobalt/mag on the earthlike but need to go to other planets to get silver, gold, plat, and uranium AND buries large nodes farther underground (gold,plat,ur are 400m+ deep). I wanted an excuse to build drilling platforms basically. I also added the defense shield mod to maybe help combat out, but I need platinum, which is on Mars, but I'm still building stuff on the moon and haven't shipped my gold back or built a jump-capable ship yet.

Dig.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CuddleCryptid posted:

The funny thing is that it's basically just like how "I'm going to move to the woods and live off the land" worked irl.

Oh, maw, paw, and little Gebedia are moving out west. Gonna homestead, live off the land, all on our own. Well, maybe we'll sell some of our lumber to buy tools. Aw, Gebedia got sick, better get a doctor. Oh no, there are bandits around! Maybe we should live a bit closer to our neighbors. And then you get a village.
Sure, I'm not trying to critique the historical accuracy, I'm just saying that wasn't how I imagined the gameplay loop worked to such a degree.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Just wanted to say, drat that's a nice looking rig!

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Just wanted to say, drat that's a nice looking rig!

They are a little annoying to put together, but they fixed some of the collision boxes so you can have tightly packed pistons and subgrids with way less jank.

I've lost count on how many of those I've built across two main saves. Must dig.

The most recent update further tweaked subgrids and physics and also made the inertial dampeners actually work with subgrids most of the time instead of never.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
At least space engineers gets better when you start making builder ships/docks. But the netcode for that kind of game kinda sucks to the point where I started not enjoying it very quickly.

Had some fantastic voyages to space though. Dug out our entire starter base, strapped rockets to the bottom, docked it on our space base and did it all in secret, so it was a big surprise for the group I was playing with.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the netcode got mostly fixed a few years ago but by that time it was already an old and mostly forgotten game

and yeah, the way to do combat in space engineers is to first build an automated ship factory, manually repairing damage is stupid, just fill your factory with raw ores, load up a blueprint, wait a couple minutes and get a new one