Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

I hate pooping in coveralls. Stopped wearing mine after they got sloshed with rolling headwater.

I can tell your at sea time is limited, haha. The solution to this problem is that you roll your coveralls inwards as you pull them down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I got 12 months of sea time out of 42 month of total activated time and not once did anyone teach me how to poo poo in a storm wearing coveralls.

Not surprised really.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

I got 12 months of sea time out of 42 month of total activated time and not once did anyone teach me how to poo poo in a storm wearing coveralls.

Not surprised really.

You get so used to rolling in the coveralls it becomes one smooth motion as you prepare to use the facilities. I guess no one thought to bring it up to you because you were already fairly high rank before you went out to sea, right? Like it might be a tip I tell the slick sleeve reporting to the boat, not a second class.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Crab Dad posted:

I hate pooping in coveralls. Stopped wearing mine after they got sloshed with rolling headwater.

How dare you besmirch a fine naval tradition

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

King of Bees posted:

How dare you besmirch a fine naval tradition

I guess you could even say it helps you prepare for the crossing the line ceremony. Are you a trusty shellback Crab-dad?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

The best one is when someone just straight up pissed all over the deck and you plop your coveralls directly into the puddle

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Reading this knowing I wore flight deck pants and a jersey out to sea :smug:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I guess you could even say it helps you prepare for the crossing the line ceremony. Are you a trusty shellback Crab-dad?

Nah only toodled around from Italy to the Red Sea.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I was so happy when they issued everyone on the ship flight deck pants and a jersey, even us idiots down in the computer shack. I think it was because they somehow had a massive surplus of them or something, cause I saw loving everyone wearing them instead of coveralls. poo poo was so comfy even in the gulf.

I think I still have a couple pairs of BDU pants from that in a drawer somewhere, they also issued us rigger belts because reasons. poo poo was awesome, no need to worry about belt buckles getting tarnished or anything. Our Suppo must have been a wizard or something, or it was end of fiscal year and he decided to outfit an entire ship's force with org wear to keep the pot of money flowing the next year.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 25, 2021

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I got scared, and made sure my certificate was safely tucked away in my closet.

It will be proudly framed and displayed in my idiot man cave some day along side the original Form 4 of my DD-214.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Unfortunately my certificate was damaged and lost....

Uniform chat, I do want to say that the thin black turtleneck thing that may or may not still be a uniform item, it came out with the blue NWUs, is excellent for skiing. It is the only uniform item I till regularly wear after being out for almost a decade. It is stretchy too which is helpful since I put on some weight.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It’s staticky as hell and I hate poo poo around my neck. One size does not fit all with a 18” neck.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

It’s staticky as hell and I hate poo poo around my neck. One size does not fit all with a 18” neck.

Is it the same one they have used for the last decade or so? Mine does not seem very staticy, but I don't think I ever wore it shipboard I just wear it for an under layer skiing. Maybe an anti static fabric softener might help?

I have the opposite problem, I have a pencil neck, and that actually always caused me problems with the PFA, because if you have to get roped and chocked you really need that massive neck.

You wouldn't happen to know the name of the turtle neck would you or how I might be able to buy one online? I obviously can no longer get to a NEX.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

IncredibleIgloo posted:

You wouldn't happen to know the name of the turtle neck would you or how I might be able to buy one online? I obviously can no longer get to a NEX.

I still have mine for the winter months along with my NWU pants and parka for work. :v:

If you go onto Amazon and just search "mock turtleneck" it'll pop up.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

I still have mine for the winter months along with my NWU pants and parka for work. :v:

If you go onto Amazon and just search "mock turtleneck" it'll pop up.

Important thing to note is that the mock turtleneck is a thick, double knitted jersey fabric, like women's leggings basically. You can probably get a similar effect out of a thermal base layer.

Speaking of which, I need to dig out my mock turtleneck and make sure I have it for winter. That thing is amazing for windy cold weather.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 25, 2021

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

uniform pooping chat posted:

Using a non-urinal toilet with a one piece flight suit can definitely be a pain, since we have a enough room to move around in the P-8, I know quite a few people who just take their suit off and take care of business. Some guys have started using 2 piece flight suits, which definitely help there, but the cuts so far on the 2-peices are a little too loose, so even the guys who are in good shape who use them look like they're wearing a maternity blouse.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Using a non-urinal toilet with a one piece flight suit can definitely be a pain, since we have a enough room to move around in the P-8, I know quite a few people who just take their suit off and take care of business. Some guys have started using 2 piece flight suits, which definitely help there, but the cuts so far on the 2-peices are a little too loose, so even the guys who are in good shape who use them look like they're wearing a maternity blouse.

Every woman I know in the Hornet community got their flight suits tailored. They always look like poo poo at issue because they're only designed for men. Even after half a century (at least) of women flying in the Navy.

Like TVS said about having to disrobe every time you go to the bathroom, just another unacknowledged tax on being a woman in the Navy.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
if you give a poo poo about how working uniforms look you are part of the problem

the only considerations should be practicality, durability, and cost

bring back inport coveralls

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

IncredibleIgloo posted:

https://www.mynavyexchange.com/navy-nwu-mock-turtleneck/12840623
these things own and I still wear mine in winter
e: hm I guess you can buy stuff from the NEX website after separating, but not uniform items?

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 26, 2021

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gray Matter posted:

e: hm I guess you can buy stuff from the NEX website after separating, but not uniform items?

Which removes 99% of the reason to shop at the exchange, because often enough stuff actually isn't cheaper at the NEX.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Gray Matter posted:

Now that I have the link maybe one of the retired folks I work with can order it for me and I can pay them. That might work out well.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

Which removes 99% of the reason to shop at the exchange, because often enough stuff actually isn't cheaper at the NEX.

tax free and the coupon days with 10-50 off your purchase can be pretty decent

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

tax free and the coupon days with 10-50 off your purchase can be pretty decent

The little scratch off percent discounts don't apply to online purchases, so anyone who didn't get commissary privileges after separating has no reason to shop there. They still mail me the little scratch off cards, though.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
I just bought a KitchenAid stand mixer from the NEX and it was cheaper than out in town. Then the clerk assisted in finding a pretty nice scratch-off discount for 25%. That was a fantastic way to end Labor Day weekend. Generally, NEX prices aren't cheaper, but on occasion they are, so if you can get it there, it's worth the while to check.

Back to uniform chat, I just picked up new some Bulwarks. I need to get the majority of them tailored, because who makes things for average-sized women? I did end up buying some of their women's coveralls too and from a size perspective, the large seemed like it would fit better based on their charts. They're still big, but they do have an additional side pocket that the men's ones don't appear to have. I think they brought the price down too because when I first saw them in April, they were about $50 more expensive than the comparable men's version.

I've love a comfortable, well-fitting two-piece that engineers could actually wear inside their spaces like the CG has. Instead, we just have to have silly green uniforms that make no sense.

Hell, the British officer we have up here even made a joke when he first taught us that we were all dressed like trees. He's not wrong.

Also, DH school was/is difficult and I am looking forward to moving onto CHENG-specific stuff.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
The CPO mess remains untainted (such as it is) for another year!

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
I've been out for almost 2 years now but I have a question regarding a friend of mine who I believe is being lied to, to get him to reenlist.

Basically he's an E-5 corpsman who went to IDC C school and dropped out back in march. He signed an obliserv stating he will extend until November of this year. According to him this was the only extension he signed, no reenlistment at the time.

He was getting ready to get out until his chain said he has to reenlist or he may lose VA and GI bill benefits. He claims he spoke to the detailer who said the same thing and allegedly at legal he spoke to paralegals and NC's, NOT an actual JAG who said the same. I've tried to get more details out of him but he either doesn't know or doesn't understand, all he says is "they said I owe time for school and if I just got out the navy will push back and that might happen(possibly losing benefits)". This statement doesn't make sense to me at all, I'm under the impression the only way you can potentially lose benefits is through a discharge that is OTH, Admin or BCD or whatever. It seems they are claiming he needs to make up the time he spent in IDC school before he dropped even though the only thing he signed was the obliserv which is about to end. He has mentioned some document that they showed him that supposedly backs this up but he doesn't know what it was. He's not the type to question something like this but it doesn't sound right to me.

I may be wrong but this all sounds pretty suspicious to me. They are saying he has to reenlist for at least 2 years. I don't know much about the C school side of things and I imagine there's even more I don't know about the IDC program but I just wanna make sure that there isn't something hosed up going on.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Virginia Slams posted:

I've been out for almost 2 years now but I have a question regarding a friend of mine who I believe is being lied to, to get him to reenlist.

Basically he's an E-5 corpsman who went to IDC C school and dropped out back in march. He signed an obliserv stating he will extend until November of this year. According to him this was the only extension he signed, no reenlistment at the time.

He was getting ready to get out until his chain said he has to reenlist or he may lose VA and GI bill benefits. He claims he spoke to the detailer who said the same thing and allegedly at legal he spoke to paralegals and NC's, NOT an actual JAG who said the same. I've tried to get more details out of him but he either doesn't know or doesn't understand, all he says is "they said I owe time for school and if I just got out the navy will push back and that might happen(possibly losing benefits)". This statement doesn't make sense to me at all, I'm under the impression the only way you can potentially lose benefits is through a discharge that is OTH, Admin or BCD or whatever. It seems they are claiming he needs to make up the time he spent in IDC school before he dropped even though the only thing he signed was the obliserv which is about to end. He has mentioned some document that they showed him that supposedly backs this up but he doesn't know what it was. He's not the type to question something like this but it doesn't sound right to me.

I may be wrong but this all sounds pretty suspicious to me. They are saying he has to reenlist for at least 2 years. I don't know much about the C school side of things and I imagine there's even more I don't know about the IDC program but I just wanna make sure that there isn't something hosed up going on.

As long as he served 36 months and gets an honorable discharge he has 100% of his GI Bill. As far as his contract he should be able to find all the paperwork on his OMPF online and it should have the relevant paperwork regarding his actual contract and maybe his IDC C School.

Paging Chief DustyNuts to the thread.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

As long as he served 36 months and gets an honorable discharge he has 100% of his GI Bill. As far as his contract he should be able to find all the paperwork on his OMPF online and it should have the relevant paperwork regarding his actual contract and maybe his IDC C School.

Paging Chief DustyNuts to the thread.

So he sent me a picture of what they were talking about it, there is a thing called a payback computation table.

Milpersman page 470 says this:
C. Payback for disenrolled members
members who are disenrolled from

-service schools A, C, and F
-Special programs NF, AEF and ATF 6-year obligor programs or
-5-year obligor programs
Shall have their obliserve adjusted under this article, provided they have no accepted accelerated advancement. Such adjustment will be referred to as payback.

it then says to refer to chart 10 J

But 10 J says the chart only applies to NF/AEF/ATF program disenrollment which would not apply to him. There is no other chart for payback besides for those 3 programs. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding and he does fall under that chart despite is saying he doesn't, he received 25 weeks of instruction which would be 17 months of payback if for whatever reason that applied to him.

After that there's administrative procedures that are supposed to take place after someone drops from one of those programs to adjust their extension by adding on the "payback".

K. admininstrative procedures. Upon receipt of approval from NAVPERSCOM (PERS-811), CO's or officers in charge will make sure that the new extension agreement is executed, the old extension is agreement cancelled.

But considering his PRD and EAOS both still match November of next month which is what his original extension was, I can only think of a few scenarios.

Either this instruction does not apply to him at all and he's being mislead either purposely or because he's got idiots telling him the wrong things.

OR

It applies to him and whoever(the CO) was supposed to adjust his extension to add on the payback because he dropped out but did not do so. So maybe they caught it way too late and are trying to cover for themselves by getting him to reenlist because they dropped the ball?

Sorry if this is long and rushed but they are apparently really pushing this poo poo on him in a hurry. He wants to get out and I don't wanna see him spend another 2 years hating his life because he got bad info.

Virginia Slams fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 6, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

it could be very possible that the "re-enlistment" paperwork he's talking about isn't re-enlistment at all but is rather the proper extension due to his obliserv of 17 mos.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

it could be very possible that the "re-enlistment" paperwork he's talking about isn't re-enlistment at all but is rather the proper extension due to his obliserv of 17 mos.

I don't know how that didn't occur to me as I was writing that. I guess that is a strong possibility but I still have yet to find the chart that supposedly dictates pay back for non NF/AEF/ATF disenrollment, if it even exists. I've searched the entire milpers manual now several times and keep coming up empty. I've found older documents that state go to XXX document to find it but it then that document references going back to the document that sent me there in the first place, just going in circles.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think IDC school would definitely have an obliserv that would kick in after dropping out. It’s a significant school, and your friend’s drop from the course means that someone on a ship is now missing his relief.

It sucks for him, for sure, but it also sucks for the person he was supposed to replace. Now they’re stuck on station longer or a ship is going to be temporarily gapped an IDC.

I would still keep searching and hopefully dustynuts can come through and clarify 100% whats up. If he is required to sign an obliserv for dropping and refuses, he will either go to mast followed by an adsep with an adverse characterization or will just proceed straight to the latter option. That’s what they mean by losing benefits. Sticking around sweeping somewhere for another year and a half if probably better than getting a general OTH or something.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Just call a private practice military lawyer a few hundred bucks is worth possibly two years of your life

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Just call a private practice military lawyer a few hundred bucks is worth possibly two years of your life

Empty quoting this, a few hundred bucks might mean a huge loving difference.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1446183511875072001?t=THuDOrXCzA0NZSWwiwwiIA&s=19

Can PACFLT ships stop hitting things?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
i wonder if it was a man made object that was struck

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
South China Sea so

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
China now deploying underwater antitank hedgehogs as nextgen anti-submarine warfare.

11 injured reported so far so not too terrible.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Look at this guy hating on naval tradition.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

M_Gargantua posted:

China now deploying underwater antitank hedgehogs as nextgen anti-submarine warfare.

11 injured reported so far so not too terrible.

Injuries are all minor, felt like being in a loving car crash though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I bet, 9000 tons doesn't stop easy. Glad you and everyone are mostly alright.