Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The feedback setting sends that operator's output into its own modulation input, as if the algorithm had an additional operator going into that one with the same freq & envelope settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am so stoked right now, you have no idea.

RYMCast lets you rip any patch from a Sega Genesis track. So naturally, I had to pull the bass patch from Green Hill Zone. It's one of my favorite bass instruments ever. It has just the right mix of bassiness, brightness, and punch, and I love it to death.

When I ripped it and tried it out, though, it sounded...wrong. It felt muddy and muted, and I wasn't sure what went wrong. I tried adding a high pass filter and all sorts of fuckery with a 5 EQ, but nothing got close, and I still had no idea what the difference actually was.

So I clipped the ripped patch and a snippet from Green Hill Zone in Audacity, and compared their spectrums.

Mine:

Theirs:

That didn't make any sense. This was the exact patch used in Green Hill Zone, and it sounded perfectly normal in RYMCast (and I've certainly never emulated the game before but I'm told it's normal there too). How come it sounded different when I used it?

Looking at the spectrum, I noticed that there was more emphasis on frequencies around 2kHz in the original patch, and more around 1kHz in the ripped patch. I was reading FM Synthesis of Real Instruments earlier today, and according to that text, if frequencies other than the fundamental harmonic show up in the spectrum, that's because a modulator put them there. Considering that the patch sounded muddy and not bright or "spiky" enough, what if the problem was with one of the modulator's ratios?

Every ratio was set to 1.0 except for the topmost operator, the one with feedback. That one was set to 10. I bumped it up to 15, and wouldn't you know, it started sounding very familiar. Spectrum analysis backed me up:

Mine, higher ratio:

Theirs:

But it wasn't quite there. Clearly, the ratio was somehow loaded incorrectly when importing the patch, so just bump up the ratio for more brightness, right? Problem is, the maximum ratio on the YM2612 is 15 - you can't go any higher. But there's got to be a way to fix it, and here I got curious. Since this is a matter of ratios, what are they supposed to be?

I would be hosed if it wasn't for the fact that RYMCast's patches are just plain XML, thank god. That let me check what the ratios are in the file, and:

code:
OP1 MULTIPLIER: 0.666667
OP2 MULTIPLIER: 0.0333333
OP3 MULTIPLIER: 0.0333333
OP4 MULTIPLIER: 0.0333333
Dividing 1 by 0.0333333, we get 30. Multiplying all these numbers by 30, we get our expected ratios:

code:
OP1 MULTIPLIER: 20
OP2 MULTIPLIER: 1
OP3 MULTIPLIER: 1
OP4 MULTIPLIER: 1
Waaaaait a minute. :thunk:

Yup, RYM2612 doesn't properly interpret ratios from its own patch format! The operators are supposed have a ratio of 1:1:1:20, but it gets imported as 1:1:1:10 instead. I have no idea why.

So, I need to get an effective ratio of 1:1:1:20 while still working within the 15-ratio maximum. That's simple: just drop it by half instead, and set a ratio of 0.5:0.5:0.5:10.

Mine, corrected:

Theirs:

:slick:

This patch has been my white whale for years. I've always wanted to play around with it. And now, I have it. and I spent way too much effort trying to get it

Here's a comparison of the different patches: original, raw ripped, 1:1:1:15, 0.5:0.5:0.5:10.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

For example, for a bass guitar, knowing that there's a beginning percussive "chk" part when the bass is first struck, then a relatively quick decaying high-resonance part (what is resonance?), then a long-term sustaining resonant part that stays at roughly the same level, then finally an ending part that decays quickly from medium resonance to silence. (Interestingly enough, his assessment matches up with the ADSR of a bass guitar. hmmmm :thunk:)
I think in this context the word "resonance" is basically used as substitute for "vibration" - of the string.

For a piano, you have something called "sympathetic resonance" which means that an open string at say, C4 will start moving when you play a C3. This happens for octaves but not for other notes.

Detuning: If you have an even ratio - B modulates A and B's frequency is twice as high as A's (ratio is 2:1), then you get a very clean and stable sound. If you choose an odd ratio (3:1, 5:1), you get something that's more interesting. If you choose a ratio that's not an integer - i.e. 2.7647:1 the sound gets quite a bit of motion and starts to sound inharmonic. However, this effect may lessen again when using halves - i.e. 2.5:1. This means that if you want subtle motion in your sound (and in each component), you can choose to add a little bit of detuning; if you have 3 operator pairs and you all give them different detunings, you'll get a warbling sound.

The levels matter in such a way that it just gets a lot less subtle when you turn them up. Keep in mind that the levels can be controlled by velocity and their amounts don't have to be equal. This gets interesting when you get a 2x3 or 3x2 structure - each "layer" can react differently to a velocity, so if you whack the key like it owed you money you could emphasize that percussive "chk" but leave the core tone relatively intact.

As for knowing how to program FM patches: I think someone got an oscilloscope and a nice spectrum analyzer and worked backwards from that. I'm reasonably certain that there's some kind of Fourier series approximation formula or so.

But yeah, think in layers/components.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

If you can shoot Inphonik support an email about that, seems like a pretty fixable bug and well worth letting them know about. I haven't noticed it yet, and would even have said for sure it gets the game sounds right into your DAW based on what I used it for. Sounded straight out of the Genesis to my ears, but my ears are not as precise as a spectrum analysis.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

I am so stoked right now, you have no idea.

RYMCast lets you rip any patch from a Sega Genesis track. So naturally, I had to pull the bass patch from Green Hill Zone. It's one of my favorite bass instruments ever. It has just the right mix of bassiness, brightness, and punch, and I love it to death.

When I ripped it and tried it out, though, it sounded...wrong. It felt muddy and muted, and I wasn't sure what went wrong. I tried adding a high pass filter and all sorts of fuckery with a 5 EQ, but nothing got close, and I still had no idea what the difference actually was.

So I clipped the ripped patch and a snippet from Green Hill Zone in Audacity, and compared their spectrums.

Mine:

Theirs:

That didn't make any sense. This was the exact patch used in Green Hill Zone, and it sounded perfectly normal in RYMCast (and I've certainly never emulated the game before but I'm told it's normal there too). How come it sounded different when I used it?

Looking at the spectrum, I noticed that there was more emphasis on frequencies around 2kHz in the original patch, and more around 1kHz in the ripped patch. I was reading FM Synthesis of Real Instruments earlier today, and according to that text, if frequencies other than the fundamental harmonic show up in the spectrum, that's because a modulator put them there. Considering that the patch sounded muddy and not bright or "spiky" enough, what if the problem was with one of the modulator's ratios?

Every ratio was set to 1.0 except for the topmost operator, the one with feedback. That one was set to 10. I bumped it up to 15, and wouldn't you know, it started sounding very familiar. Spectrum analysis backed me up:

Mine, higher ratio:

Theirs:

But it wasn't quite there. Clearly, the ratio was somehow loaded incorrectly when importing the patch, so just bump up the ratio for more brightness, right? Problem is, the maximum ratio on the YM2612 is 15 - you can't go any higher. But there's got to be a way to fix it, and here I got curious. Since this is a matter of ratios, what are they supposed to be?

I would be hosed if it wasn't for the fact that RYMCast's patches are just plain XML, thank god. That let me check what the ratios are in the file, and:

code:
OP1 MULTIPLIER: 0.666667
OP2 MULTIPLIER: 0.0333333
OP3 MULTIPLIER: 0.0333333
OP4 MULTIPLIER: 0.0333333
Dividing 1 by 0.0333333, we get 30. Multiplying all these numbers by 30, we get our expected ratios:

code:
OP1 MULTIPLIER: 20
OP2 MULTIPLIER: 1
OP3 MULTIPLIER: 1
OP4 MULTIPLIER: 1
Waaaaait a minute. :thunk:

Yup, RYM2612 doesn't properly interpret ratios from its own patch format! The operators are supposed have a ratio of 1:1:1:20, but it gets imported as 1:1:1:10 instead. I have no idea why.

So, I need to get an effective ratio of 1:1:1:20 while still working within the 15-ratio maximum. That's simple: just drop it by half instead, and set a ratio of 0.5:0.5:0.5:10.

Mine, corrected:

Theirs:

:slick:

This patch has been my white whale for years. I've always wanted to play around with it. And now, I have it. and I spent way too much effort trying to get it

Here's a comparison of the different patches: original, raw ripped, 1:1:1:15, 0.5:0.5:0.5:10.

good effortpost thank you

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

^^ no prob :3:

Holy poo poo there’s so many goddamn synths out there.

I do want something physical, just cause it’s easier to jam on. A DAW is great for when it’s time to commit, but I’m getting pretty sick of mashing zcbbbbzfvxgnnnn. Plus I want an excuse to set up a little workstation.

Probably just something simple for now. Something cheap, monophonic, typical subtractive synthesis. There’s always the Microbrute and my friend has one and I found it to be pretty okay.

Edit: also, it’d be phenomenal to have something that could record snippets or something, so I don’t have to get up out of bed to record something in Renoise when I inevitably come up with something while I’m trying to get to sleep. Any intro synths that sound like a match for that?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 8, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I don't have anything to add, apart from some appreciation for the discussion taking place. Thanks for sharing, everyone. It's fascinating reading, and I'm learning quite a bit from y'all.

Eta

Pollyanna posted:

Intro synth question snipped
This part I might have some thoughts to share, if not a recommendation. I can speak a bit about my rookie rig, but might need a bit to compose my thoughts.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 8, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

It's pretty good, actually. Video Guy's advice pretty much breaks down to the following:

1. Identify the different parts, which he calls "layers", of the sound you're trying to make. This benefits from becoming intimately familiar with the sound of whatever instrument you're trying to replicate. For example, for a bass guitar, knowing that there's a beginning percussive "chk" part when the bass is first struck, then a relatively quick decaying high-resonance part (what is resonance?), then a long-term sustaining resonant part that stays at roughly the same level, then finally an ending part that decays quickly from medium resonance to silence. (Interestingly enough, his assessment matches up with the ADSR of a bass guitar. hmmmm :thunk:)

2. Come up with your own algorithm based off of the parts you identified. For example, for a bass guitar, you'd need to combine at least four oscillators:

• The first, "chk" part would need to be percussive in some way, so that suggests at least one modulator and one carrier, with the modulator getting feedback. (Don't ask me how I know this, Video Guy just said that's the case for percussion.)
  • The second, decaying resonant part would need to be resonant with some brightness, which Video Guy says also calls for feedback. (I disagree, you can totally get brightness without feedback.) That also implies one modulator and one carrier, with the modulator optionally getting feedback.
  • The third, long-lasting resonant part is pretty constant and takes the form of any typical bass patch, so anything other than a simple sine wave is enough. One modulator, one carrier.
  • The final, quickly-decaying sound apparently doesn't need to be anything more complex than a sine wave, which I don't understand - isn't it meant to go from somewhat resonant to not-resonant? That would imply a resonance matching part 3. Am I making it too complicated? Regardless, he says it only needs one carrier.

Which results in this algorithm:

3. Pare your algorithm down to something reasonable. That algorithm above, for example, isn't available on a 6op let alone a 4op. So, you'll have to condense it somehow. I'm not sure how to do this, myself, but Video Guy does this:

• Part 1 ("chk") and part 2 are nearly identical, so they can be combined if you're willing to meet halfway on the desired feedback. So, combine "chk" and part 2 into one stack. That brings us to 5op, which is doable on the DX7 but not the DX11 or OPN line.
  • Part 4 is very simple, being characterized entirely by a quick decay on a static, non-evolving sound. It doesn't actually add much to the sound other than it representing its quick decay once you let go of the key. This can be rolled into part 3 by just defining a quick release decay on part 3. That brings us to 4op, which basically any FM synth can handle.

Which results in Algorithm 5, which I'm sure you've seen before:

And indeed, if you load up Algorithm 5 and set all the operators to an initial state, it does sound bass-y right out of the box. It seems like a good fit!

So now we have one percussive, highly resonant 2op, and one moderately resonant, quick-release 2op. Easy enough.

4. Determine the envelopes for your modulators and carriers. The envelopes for the carriers are straightforward, since they characterize the volume of the sound:

• Carrier 1 (op1) needs to be punchy and therefore both immediately come online and reach max, and quickly reach a moderate resonance. It also needs to remain at roughly the same level before quickly silencing on key-off. op1 gets a quick attack rate, a relatively quick decay rate, a moderate sustain level, and a quick release rate.
  • Carrier 2 (op3), due to its role as both a percussive sound (old part 1) and a long-lived moderate resonance (old part 2), will need to evolve in an identical manner to op1 over time. op3 gets the same envelope as op1.

...but I'm less sure about the envelopes for the modulators, which characterize the evolution of the resonance of each part over time.

At this point, we'd have to go back and think about the sound of a bass guitar again. If we listen to it, it starts from dull (for a split second), then quickly reaches spikiness, then mellows out over a period of time before completely going away once the sound fades out. I like to do something silly and actually try and replicate the sound with my own voice, and a bass guitar sounds something like "puh-ehhh-ahhhhhhhh-ooo".

So it's kind of like the carrier waves' envelope, with a slightly longer attack rate, longer decay rate for sure, and what appears to be a similar release rate. Video Guy concurs, but extends the release rate a little in comparison.

• Modulator 1 (op2) needs to be somewhat punchy and therefore both come online relatively quickly and reach max, then moderately taper off to a moderate resonance. It also needs to remain at roughly the same level before somewhat quickly silencing on key-off. op2 gets a somewhat quick attack rate, a moderate decay rate, a moderate sustain level, and a somewhat quick release rate.
  • Nothing about Modulator 2 (op4) suggests that it should behave any differently - at least, as far as I can tell - so we can just use the same envelope as op2.

Which leaves us with these envelopes:

5. Figure out your feedback (on op4 in our case). I have no idea what feedback even does or why we use it, so I'll just defer to Video Guy here. In the case of the bass patch, the feedback will provide a percussive element to stack 2. We want a decent amount of percussion for the "chk", but not so much that we lose out on all the resonance after it in stack 2. Video Guy splits the difference and sticks feedback at something like 50%.

6. Finetune. Now you can sit down at your synth and press buttons.

This step differs from patch maker to patch maker, and it's where you get to be picky about envelopes and levels and such. You're basically improvising this step. The patch by this point is pretty good already, and just needs extra bells and whistles and personal touches. This is where having a clear mental picture of the sound you're looking for, as well as a clear understanding of FM synth basics, becomes particularly important.

With your algorithms, envelopes, and feedback programmed, tweak:

• Frequency ratios (think about the harmonics of the sound and how you want it to look on the spectrum view, then explore :shrug:)
  • Detunes (tune each operator slightly differently to try and even out the coverage of the harmonic range - this is where the spectrum view is REALLY handy)
  • Total levels (carriers should be straightforward but the modulators are a mystery to me, sorry)
  • Envelope parameters (finicky bullshit)
  • Whatever else you feel like (as long as it doesn't deviate too far from the plan)

---

And then, you'll have a decent-sounding patch! I think.

Some questions I still have:

- What exactly is "resonance" in this case? How do we characterize it?
- What exactly does detuning do? IME it seems to even out the harmonic range from a few high peaks to a lot of moderately sized peaks, and is what provides "full" sound.
- How do total levels matter on modulators, and what am I trying to achieve with them?

have you thought about writing a book?

that was intense.. but excellent .

my hydrasynth has unusual FM synthesis, and i’m not sure i can acheieve all of that but maybe close.

Also that was the best view into the mindset of creating a patch with FM. better than the video. wow

one question you asked : why detune? just coz if the oscillators are slightly out of tune from each other it makes the sound much wider and more massive. adds movement.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

My entire fm philosophy is "gently caress with things until I get a uk bass sort of sound" and I can say I've reached this point easily enough.

I didnt realize operator in ableton is fm until recently, so I've effectively been doing fm synthesis for a decade

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Are there any options for a midi USB XY pad to use with Ableton, I guess like the Korg Nanopad, but just the XY pad part? There seems to be the Nanopad, and stuff like the Kaosspad, and I guess some midi controllers with XY joysticks, but does anybody make something that is just an XY touchpad with midi over USB?

If there's nothing like that, anybody have hands experience with the Nanopad2? Does the XY touchpad work well in Ableton?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I freaking wish there was. You can make your own from a touchpad but I didn't, I just use the Nanopad 2. To use it as an X/Y I MIDI-assign the X and Y separately to the appropriate parameters, I don't know if there's an easier way than that but it works great for X/Y pad usage this way in whatever application I've wanted to use it for.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Agreed posted:

I freaking wish there was. You can make your own from a touchpad but I didn't, I just use the Nanopad 2. To use it as an X/Y I MIDI-assign the X and Y separately to the appropriate parameters, I don't know if there's an easier way than that but it works great for X/Y pad usage this way in whatever application I've wanted to use it for.

Thanks. So the Nanopad 2 at least works as I'm hoping, and I can just plug it in and control the Ableton XY pad feature? It seems like that's what it should do, and that seems like it would be awesome in Ableton, but some googling revealed some people complaining about configuring the Nanopad2. Do you just midimap the two axes in Ableton?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I wish I could help with that particular question but I don't use Ableton. It has not had any trouble assigning for any of the other stuff I've used it for, including a bunch of standalone applications and in Reaper, but I don't know about that in particular. I would wonder why, though, I am pretty sure it is deriving its functionality from being a class compliant MIDI device as it is configured. You turn off the pad's tuning mode and enable the X/Y midi function in the software, I think, it's been a few months since I set it up and I haven't opened the software since so it's a little fuzzy y'all. But it's just an editor from their site that lets you adjust the pad values etc. and one of the things you can change iirc is how the pad works. Set it up right and it should work fine, I would think, unless there is a specific bug I don't know about.

I like their NanoKontrol2 also, for as tiny as it is it is very handy when used with the Mackie control surface emulating stuff you can install for Reaper. Makes it just work as you'd want it to out the gate.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
This week was good for burning down some of the synth fixing & modding to-dos on my list:

1. Main voice board swap on Prophet-10 with proper/repaired board (mine was in the range of Prophets with the two capacitors populated on the board that shouldn't have been, and affected high-end frequency output)
2. Prophet-10 keybed mounted and secured with screws to floor of chassis
3. MUSE installed in Minimoog Model D reissue
4. New wood cheeks swapped on to Prophet-6 desktop module replacing somewhat beat up cheeks
5. Grey Matter E! card in the DX7IIFD

I still have some older other pending repairs on the bench (or more accurately, on the stack), but felt pretty good about getting these cleared off the deck.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

McCoy Pauley posted:

Are there any options for a midi USB XY pad to use with Ableton, I guess like the Korg Nanopad, but just the XY pad part? There seems to be the Nanopad, and stuff like the Kaosspad, and I guess some midi controllers with XY joysticks, but does anybody make something that is just an XY touchpad with midi over USB?

If there's nothing like that, anybody have hands experience with the Nanopad2? Does the XY touchpad work well in Ableton?

There's the ROLI Lightpad. I've even written some apps for it. Be aware that the company is a startup; they are rebranding focusing on more beginner hardware instead.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Been really enjoying this NTS-1 a lot over the past couple days since I assembled it, boy is it a hoot. I've tried using the librarian but it wasn't working, but it was with an old Windows 7 computer that has problems with its USB connectors anyway, so I'm holding out hope that when I actually connect it to a Windows 10 machine it will properly work. As much as I've enjoyed it it won't be right without that.

But I've been Floyding out over here bigtime, just with this tiny box.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

petit choux posted:

Been really enjoying this NTS-1 a lot over the past couple days since I assembled it, boy is it a hoot. I've tried using the librarian but it wasn't working, but it was with an old Windows 7 computer that has problems with its USB connectors anyway, so I'm holding out hope that when I actually connect it to a Windows 10 machine it will properly work. As much as I've enjoyed it it won't be right without that.

But I've been Floyding out over here bigtime, just with this tiny box.

Here's the reminder to install the korg driver, have as little else plugged in to USB as possible, and to plug the nts1 directly into your computer (avoid hubs).
Both going through a hub, and having a midi keyboard plugged in caused me issues separately while trying to use the librarian.
Hopefully that works for you. They're great little boxes, even just for the fx.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Martytoof posted:

I paid mpcstuff a bunch of bucks for the upgraded pad stack and it’s SO MUCH BETTER. It feels like my MPC One in feedback now, tbh, which I always liked. Also replaced a bunch of the sloppy plastic buttons and now everything feels super tight.

Since it’s October I thought it would be fun to go with a spoopy halloween themed setup but it’s not really jiving with me as much as I thought. Whenever I can justify spending a few more bucks I’ll grab something less “wacky”, or maybe I’ll forget about it and just stick with what I have, who knows.

Did a DIY upgrade to the tired green LCD screen too. Didn’t pay mpcstuff for this but ordered a screen from china for thirty bucks and made the cable myself. It was super easy and the difference is striking. Light night and day. Feels like a brand new machine.

Anyway, hardware swaps aside this thing is SO MUCH FUN. It’s EXACTLY what I needed to get my workflow in order. I’ve been experimenting with tracks so much more than I ever did with the One, mainly because there’s not a metric ton of stuff for me to menu dive. It’s not lightweight or basic, but it doesn’t feel like everything I touch is leading me astray into a deep dive of options or possibilities. That’s not a bad thing per se, unless your personality is the kind that will take that detour and just stop making music for the next two hours.

I want to say it’s perfect. Even the fact that it’s CF and USB1 is turning out to be good. It’s keeping me from loading up a hundred sample packs and idly flipping through them, and making me work with a more limited subset, both because I can’t fit a ton on a 2gb card and because it takes a year and a day to load them over USB (and I can’t find my CF adapter at the moment).

I dunno, all around this has to be one of the best investments I made in my creativity in a long time.

After you spend some more time with it, you should return to the one and see if it's changed your workflow to the point that the one makes more sense

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Google Butt posted:

After you spend some more time with it, you should return to the one and see if it's changed your workflow to the point that the one makes more sense

I have a strong suspicion it has already made the workflow feel more familiar and natural, but I also think it will have trained me to hate the touch aspect of the interface even more than I did when I was just learning. I am seriously over the moon with how I can do everything on the 1K with a combination of the shift button, pads, data entry wheel, and F-keys.

Apropos of nothing:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 10, 2021

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

:eyepop:

WHAT?!

Please tell me that’s Dr. John Chowning’s dissertation or something.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have no idea, sorry to disappoint, just something I found on imgur randomly :q:

Synths and Synthesis MkII: The waveform is changed by tickling

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
After a sort of synth nerd jam session last week I'm trying to work out a bit more of a live setup. I'm getting rid of my OP-Z and getting a Wavedrum, planning to sort of move between Wavedrum and Seaboard for the next get-together. It's also getting me to finally learn how to use my Launchstation in Bitwig, which is great because it was just gathering dust up until now.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Tickling is such an apt word for fm modulation lol

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

So Math posted:

There's the ROLI Lightpad. I've even written some apps for it. Be aware that the company is a startup; they are rebranding focusing on more beginner hardware instead.

They straight up went bankrupt. I don't think anyone should expect their previous products to be sold or supported at all moving forward.

B33rChiller posted:

Here's the reminder to install the korg driver, have as little else plugged in to USB as possible, and to plug the nts1 directly into your computer (avoid hubs).
Both going through a hub, and having a midi keyboard plugged in caused me issues separately while trying to use the librarian.
Hopefully that works for you. They're great little boxes, even just for the fx.

Lol my second one (after I RMAed the first with the faulty USB) has also stopped even showing up as a USB device. This could be related to my kid knocking it off a table, but I'm starting to also think that they may just have garbage USB connectors or something. I'm pretty tempted to try soldering a new one in and seeing what happens.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hey, BTW, anybody have any experience with Zeppelin Design Labs? They are offering an optical theremin kit that looks great, and a couple DIY synth kits kinda similar to the nts-1.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/573261...WxoC6hAQAvD_BwE

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I think I’m going to re buy the TR-8

I really miss it. The gated reverb and side chain effects are really good and I need an 808 again

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Bought a sampler from a goon it still had various permutations of the It is Wednesday My Dudes that the previous owner had been playing with.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

A MIRACLE posted:

I think I’m going to re buy the TR-8

I really miss it. The gated reverb and side chain effects are really good and I need an 808 again

Get a TR8S

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
FYI, you owe it to yourself to get a Roland System-1. It may be the first synth I own that I may sell off but it sounds way better than you'd expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMPvdA-01tM

That pad just after 3:15 with the random LFO is basically the entire reason I bought mine.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 11, 2021

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

That has four voices right? If you sell it post it here again

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what do people think about the digitone. I am extremely intrigued by it.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

echinopsis posted:

what do people think about the digitone. I am extremely intrigued by it.

It's awesome. You can have a lot of fun just dialing different sounds and sequencing on the thing, and while I can't say I fully understand the mysteries of FM synthesis, it's really easy to adjust parameters and see/hear what you're doing until you arrive at something you like. And you can get a wide range of sounds, including lots percussion that let you basically use the thing like a groovebox to lay down drums and then synth over them. Elektron's sequencer, with parameter locks, is really powerful -- the DN having only 4 tracks sounds like it would be limiting, but you can use the sequence and p-locks in creative ways to create tracks with a lot going on. And it just feels good to use -- the screen is excellent, the controls are well made and responsive, and the whole thing is built like a tank.

There are obviously lots of videos people doing interesting things with the DN, but I particularly like Ivar Tryti's stuff -- he has some good instructional videos that are really helpful for learning how to create bass, leads, drums, etc. I watched all his stuff when I first got mine and it helped me wrap my head around what the DN could do.

Bottom line is that the digitone is awesome, and you should get one.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Get the keyboard because they’re the only company still brave enough to do the side by side layout. You can put the soft kb on the module side at a different octave, I use it like pedal bass :3:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I like my Digitone. It's not a super in depth implementation of FM (which is fine by me) but it's fast to use plus the elektron workflow is great.

E: If you're ok with buying used guitar center usually has them at the best price for a used one.

net work error fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 11, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The difficulty of FM synthesis (afaict) really boils down to the difficulty of understanding the role of harmonics in synthesized sound, how those harmonics determine the timbre of an FM sound, and how to sculpt the harmonic range of an FM sound over time using the algorithms and envelopes on an FM synth.

None of that is simple :gonk: you basically have to know the harmonic sculpture of the sound you want to make…which also means you have to know what sound you want to make. It’s just a lot easier to say “ok I’ll have a bell for the lead, a bass guitar for the bass, a vwoop for the pad, etc etc” and use the preset patches, cause nobody but the most hardcore composer thinks that hard about their instrumentation.

Also the “using the algorithms and envelopes” part is equivalent to the most bizarre and complicated chisel you’ve ever seen, so it’s Calvinball for all intents and purposes. FM synthesis is more like discovery than engineering.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I fuckin love FM synthesis and am about to get that Plogue yamaha vst

Discovery is what makes music music for me!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
drat I want one.

They're about $1800nzd and I can't see any on the 2nd hand market at the moment.

If I could get it for around $1000nzd I would, and that's about the second hand price, but I doubt many people around the world are prepared to ship to nz, and I'd have no idea what to check to trust it wasn't a scam or broken etc.

Maybe one will pop up on the second hand market soon.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

The digitone was pretty great for sequencing my little drum machine I had at the time too. You get four midi tracks so I had them all on the same channel and used them as mute groups

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like I need just one more thing that can make sound and is easily accessible.

what’s it like for “live” stuff? like does it require lots
of hunched over diving in menus or can you whip up a quick sequence and dial in the sounds on the fly pretty easily?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
If you can afford to spend several hundred dollars on a sequencing device and you don’t have a basic iPad you should get one, ideally one with a USB port but even a basic one with Lightning for like $250 works wonders as a controller