Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Fever peppers come way too early in the game imo, you've not even got a base up before the game hands you infinite food, water, and heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My problem is that I'm finding all of the blueprints drastically out of order. I have all of these upgrades for a 'prawn' and I'll be hosed if I know what one of those is. Solar power isn't cutting it but I can't fit the bioreactor anywhere in my base and I don't know how to make aerogel for a thermal reactor. I finally managed to get a moonpool but i apparently need something else to make my seamoth upgrades, so the moonpool right now is just3 a garage that loses power every night. The real problem with all of this is that I am very bad at navigation even in games with maps and I'm stuck with a compass and my own stupid brain because, get this, it's been ten loving hours and I still haven't found the blueprints to make beacons.

Also I'm stressed out because I have space dysentery or whatever my mystery disease is, and the planet is under quarantine. Which hits a little different than it probably did in 2014. Also watching the building unfold into a cannon and shoot the friendly space-folks who were coming to rescue me was a real bummer.

Edit: also I started my base apparently right where a group of Gasopods live so I'm being assaulted with yellow acid 24/7

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 8, 2021

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Bring a cutter to the Aurora and follow the signs that say <- Prawn Bay.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

YggiDee posted:

My problem is that I'm finding all of the blueprints drastically out of order. I have all of these upgrades for a 'prawn' and I'll be hosed if I know what one of those is. Solar power isn't cutting it but I can't fit the bioreactor anywhere in my base and I don't know how to make aerogel for a thermal reactor. I finally managed to get a moonpool but i apparently need something else to make my seamoth upgrades, so the moonpool right now is just3 a garage that loses power every night. The real problem with all of this is that I am very bad at navigation even in games with maps and I'm stuck with a compass and my own stupid brain because, get this, it's been ten loving hours and I still haven't found the blueprints to make beacons.

Also I'm stressed out because I have space dysentery or whatever my mystery disease is, and the planet is under quarantine. Which hits a little different than it probably did in 2014. Also watching the building unfold into a cannon and shoot the friendly space-folks who were coming to rescue me was a real bummer.

I know, isn’t it amazing!
:allears:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Let's be clear that I am enjoying myself but it's very infuriating. Also gently caress those teleporter dudes. They need to CHILL.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

YggiDee posted:

Let's be clear that I am enjoying myself but it's very infuriating. Also gently caress those teleporter dudes. They need to CHILL.

Just wait until you hear their broadcasts... :stare:

My most stressful moment was searching the Degasi base that was 500m underwater, and those crabsquids that almost wrecked my ride out of there. I left at first without the tablet, and then realized I had to go back.

Felt like a disaster movie where the protagonist BARELY survives.

This game is real good poo poo, man.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I finally find a loving beacon and it only gives me half of the blueprint?!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I love the whole Sunbeam scene.
And that feeling as it unfolds.

YggiDee posted:

You're lucky on that one since most items take 3 pieces to scan.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

YggiDee posted:

Look around that area, stuff tends to spawn in clumps, there’s probably another one nearby.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Just got the first one as it was on sale and gonna try to play it in VR - is there anything I should do?

Apparently play it on a gamepad rather than the VR controllers and install some patch, is there anything else?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Okay I do have a genuine complaint and that's its a Survival Game so I'm expected to be confused and have no idea what's going on a lot, but I can't always tell what is a Weird Expected Situation from a Weird Glitch.

One of my camera drones is 9000 meters away. I'm pretty sure that's past the confines of the map. Also I got one of those radio distress signals for pod 7 and it never appeared.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

Also I got one of those radio distress signals for pod 7 and it never appeared.

I don't remember Pod 7 in particular, but specific locations are not provided for every pod. I think that sometimes you have to figure out location from the message text.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

YggiDee posted:

Okay I do have a genuine complaint and that's its a Survival Game so I'm expected to be confused and have no idea what's going on a lot, but I can't always tell what is a Weird Expected Situation from a Weird Glitch.

One of my camera drones is 9000 meters away. I'm pretty sure that's past the confines of the map. Also I got one of those radio distress signals for pod 7 and it never appeared.

There are no confines of the map. Not hard-coded that you'd run into, anyway.

(You'll be killed long before you get there)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

YggiDee posted:

They removed a bunch of nav point becons that used to be in the game at the behest of Early Access players who had the map essentially memorized.

Even knowing where they are, I was also constantly reminded how bad the draw distances can be for anyone who doesn't "Hey wasn't there a life pod down here the last three times I've played this? Maybe they moved it *pop in at the last second* Ah..."

One greatest hits stand out I sympathize with is everyone in this thread alone swinging by to ask "Hey I ended up at the final plot location, but somehow missed the penultimate plot location With the key to get in here" because of those changes.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 8, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm just gonna say that the penultimate location was loving massive and literally the only point of interest in the area other than the large hostile thing. I went in unspoilered with the cyclops, took my sweet time to finally mine some of that new material while fending off the locals, and constantly had in the back of my mind "be sure to go visit that that thing you can see in the distance before going back up".

So what I'm saying is ya'll are blind.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Why do I randomly take damage when I exit the Seamoth

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

YggiDee posted:

Why do I randomly take damage when I exit the Seamoth

If you get out above a speed which is barely above actually stopped, you risk showing up in front enough of the Seamoth that it bumps you and stops from the contact.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
On my first playthrough I missed a good chunk of the later part of the game because I glitched down into the ground and fell into a final area.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
:doh: ...I've been running myself over

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Luckily/sadly in BZ the Truckster is so slow that it doesnt hurt.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

YggiDee posted:

:doh: ...I've been running myself over

One of us
One of us

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Speaking of draw distance, how bout that mountain island, huh?

I get that it's in the fog but like.... That poo poo doesn't show up until I'm essentially RIGHT THERE.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
On the plus side, when your Seamoth gets trapped inside the island terrain then it can be used as a free beacon.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

withak posted:

On the plus side, when your Seamoth gets trapped inside the island terrain then it can be used as a free beacon.

Yes. "Free"...

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I get that it's in the fog but like.... That poo poo doesn't show up until I'm essentially RIGHT THERE.

If you know what you're looking for, the clouds hiding the island are stupidly visable ... and don't render through the water surface effect.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

People's first instinct when presented with an ocean is to head for land. It's an anti noob measure to keep people from soft locking themselves out of the shallows resources. As Ardeem says, once you know that an island is there to be seen the disguise in the skybox might as well be a beacon.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Played for a few hours. It took a while for me to learn to stop picking up titanium and wreckage. I built several floating storage lockers. Finding enough silver for all the important stuff was annoying and it still is annoying, but at least I know to look for sandstone deposits now. It took longer than I liked to be able to craft the compass, despite finding the blueprint very early.

I actually reloaded some of my earlier saves to deliberately undo "progress". One of which was the timed distress call, which I didn't want to do because at that point I had no habitat tool, no rebreather (still don't!), no seamoth (still don't!) and no safe way to get down to the pod 300 m down. (My initial "brilliant" idea of a floating air pump and pipes was going to take a LOT more pipes than I cared to make.)

I've built a habitat almost underneath the escape pod, partly because the first one I attempted to build at a cliff edge was 60 m away and it took me a while to find it again. When I play again, I'm going to look for more silver ore so I can get the Rebreather, which I think will let me swim deeper without issue.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Played for a few hours. It took a while for me to learn to stop picking up titanium and wreckage. I built several floating storage lockers. Finding enough silver for all the important stuff was annoying and it still is annoying, but at least I know to look for sandstone deposits now. It took longer than I liked to be able to craft the compass, despite finding the blueprint very early.

I actually reloaded some of my earlier saves to deliberately undo "progress". One of which was the timed distress call, which I didn't want to do because at that point I had no habitat tool, no rebreather (still don't!), no seamoth (still don't!) and no safe way to get down to the pod 300 m down. (My initial "brilliant" idea of a floating air pump and pipes was going to take a LOT more pipes than I cared to make.)

I've built a habitat almost underneath the escape pod, partly because the first one I attempted to build at a cliff edge was 60 m away and it took me a while to find it again. When I play again, I'm going to look for more silver ore so I can get the Rebreather, which I think will let me swim deeper without issue.

Some hard earned wisdom: beacons. If you go somewhere, beacon it. If you build an outpost, beacon it. If you think a direction looks interesting or dangerous or you're passing by an entrance to something or wreckage or whatever, beacon it. Leave home with four or five or more beacons, come back with zero, build more beacons. You can turn the HUD icon off in the PDA, control icon type/color, etc. so just go nuts. If you've extracted all possible value out of a beaconed location pick it up and then beacon something else.

Seriously, they're the next best thing to a minimap which is a mod but it should be a second playthrough mod not a first one.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
There's nothing wrong with gathering loads of titanium. You'll need a lot of it eventually.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Definitely get that rebreather going, visit new life pods as you get them prompted and it’s time to start looking for giant wrecks in the red grassland areas. Don’t be afraid to use an air pump and a bunch of pipes to help you explore a wreck. You get like five pipes for like 1 or 2 titanium, it’s easy to set up.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cartoon Man posted:

Definitely get that rebreather going, visit new life pods as you get them prompted and it’s time to start looking for giant wrecks in the red grassland areas. Don’t be afraid to use an air pump and a bunch of pipes to help you explore a wreck. You get like five pipes for like 1 or 2 titanium, it’s easy to set up.

that’s how i explored the jellyshroom cave super early so i could suicide run getting the multi purpose room blueprint

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

star eater posted:

that’s how i explored the jellyshroom cave super early so i could suicide run getting the multi purpose room blueprint

Lol never thought of that, I usually scan it on the island.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I already have a few beacons set up at places. I do have a question about base-building. It seems that adding more components onto a base decreases its hull strength. So I should only make single rooms or small bases? How do I mitigate that?

I made a bunch of Titanium ingots, but I don't seem to have much use for those yet.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Hull reinforcements add +7 and you can slap them on the outside of hallways and some rooms. The tip for making ridiculous big bases with glass windows everywhere usually just means "somewhere offscreen there's a bunch of straight hallways with reinforcements out the wazoo"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Hull reinforcements add +7 and you can slap them on the outside of hallways and some rooms. The tip for making ridiculous big bases with glass windows everywhere usually just means "somewhere offscreen there's a bunch of straight hallways with reinforcements out the wazoo"

That, or you just resign your glass hallway'd base to have reinforcements in all of the hubs and moonpools (if you can even put them in the moonpool, can't recall).

Those reinforcements go a LONG way.

I realize this is kind of what the post I'm quoting is saying, but my point is, I recommend focusing your windows on the hallways, rather than making a room have windows everywhere. I feel like you get to see more that way.

And I don't mean 'put a window in your hallway', but rather 'build glass hallways.'

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 8, 2021

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

I already have a few beacons set up at places. I do have a question about base-building. It seems that adding more components onto a base decreases its hull strength. So I should only make single rooms or small bases? How do I mitigate that?

I made a bunch of Titanium ingots, but I don't seem to have much use for those yet.

If you've already made lots of ingots, I would advise...not to build any more for the time being.

And the only real practical way to increase hull strength is the hull reinforcement panel. 3 titanium, 1 lithium, +7 hull strength.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Bulkheads too, if you haven’t found them yet.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

You need lithium for hull reinforcement. A cheaper method is to install bulkhead doors but they give less hull strength.

Lithium is found in the deeper areas of the game. Though there’s an easy way to get a ton: the weapons platform island has a cave with tons of easy to pluck lithium, diamonds, and gold. But it’s full of spiders, so get stabbing!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

You need lithium for hull reinforcement. A cheaper method is to install bulkhead doors but they give less hull strength.

Lithium is found in the deeper areas of the game. Though there’s an easy way to get a ton: the weapons platform island has a cave with tons of easy to pluck lithium, diamonds, and gold. But it’s full of spiders, so get stabbing!

The Repulsion/propulsion cannons make fighting spiders actually fun, and I love it.

With the knife, ehhh... You're really reminded about how little combat was a priority of focus for this game (which is fine, it didn't need to be).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Alctel posted:

Just got the first one as it was on sale and gonna try to play it in VR - is there anything I should do?

Apparently play it on a gamepad rather than the VR controllers and install some patch, is there anything else?

I don’t think anyone else answered this but you’ve basically got it. Gamepad is the most sensible controller, and absolutely install the vr mod, which does things like putting the PDA further away than “attached to the tip of your nose.” After that, it should be pretty smooth sailing.

The game is pretty stunning in VR, in my opinion, and the sense of scale is so much more impactful.