Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

NotNut posted:

I need some non-prescription colored contacts for a party on Saturday, so I couldn't order them online or they'd arrive too late. Are there any brick and mortar chain stores that would sell them?

Any costume stores near your house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

NotNut posted:

I need some non-prescription colored contacts for a party on Saturday, so I couldn't order them online or they'd arrive too late. Are there any brick and mortar chain stores that would sell them?

Where do you live buddy?

Also, what’s your costume?

Such Fun fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 5, 2021

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Is there a good brand for paper shredders? My ideal would be something I could just stick a big stack of pages into without having to take the staples out of the corners and walk away without it taking so long to shred it overheats. Every shredder I look at seems to have reviews like "you can actually only put in one page at a time" or "if you put a stack in it will still feed it through one page at a time" or "started a small fire in my office". I just want to destroy boxes of old documents without having to babysit the stupid thing. :(

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Everett False posted:

Is there a good brand for paper shredders? My ideal would be something I could just stick a big stack of pages into without having to take the staples out of the corners and walk away without it taking so long to shred it overheats. Every shredder I look at seems to have reviews like "you can actually only put in one page at a time" or "if you put a stack in it will still feed it through one page at a time" or "started a small fire in my office". I just want to destroy boxes of old documents without having to babysit the stupid thing. :(

Not what you're asking, but consider checking out if local copy stores have shredders. If so, they're probably industrial size and durability, which sounds like what you need.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Everett False posted:

If it's a one time thing, consider calling one of those companies who brings a truck with a shredder on it and charges you by the box. It may cost a couple hundred dollars but the alternative if you want something that will chew through paperclips and stack of pages will cost a whole lot more.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Everett False posted:

Many localities have public shred events, you may have heard about them and assumed they were some kind of guitar contest but they're not

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Unfortunately it's for work, so we need to have normal access to a shredder and then a couple of times a year I do a big purge. I don't mind pulling off paperclips, but taking the staples out of a year's worth of files is The Worst. Sitting there and removing staple after staple and then carefully arranging pages into stacks of 6 because that's as much as the manual shredder can handle at a time... :negative:

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Get the best one from Costco for routine use. If/when it breaks down then return it using their lifetime returns policy and get a new one.

Then for your 1-2x a year when you do the big purge just pay one of those shredding companies to come take it and shred it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Is there an idiot's guide to phone plans? Specifically for AT&T. I've got their starter unlimited but I only really use a gig a month and my phone is mostly for phonecalls or light web browsing. I'm thinking of downgrading but they're all "you will lose 5G" and... does that matter?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Organza Quiz posted:

Any costume stores near your house?

I tried Spirit Halloween and they didn't have any. I guess I can check other costume stores.

Such Fun posted:

Where do you live buddy?

A city.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Everett False posted:

Unfortunately it's for work, so we need to have normal access to a shredder and then a couple of times a year I do a big purge. I don't mind pulling off paperclips, but taking the staples out of a year's worth of files is The Worst. Sitting there and removing staple after staple and then carefully arranging pages into stacks of 6 because that's as much as the manual shredder can handle at a time... :negative:

It's for work? Make the case to whoever makes purchasing decisions that you're better off hiring a shredding company to take it all away for you, rather than have you sit there pulling staples out by hand. I'd bet it's a better use of your time (and the company's money spent on that time).

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is there an idiot's guide to phone plans? Specifically for AT&T. I've got their starter unlimited but I only really use a gig a month and my phone is mostly for phonecalls or light web browsing. I'm thinking of downgrading but they're all "you will lose 5G" and... does that matter?

Not really, 4G is perfectly fine for light web browsing, you probably won't miss 5G.

Vanant
Mar 27, 2010

NotNut posted:

I tried Spirit Halloween and they didn't have any. I guess I can check other costume stores.

A city.

If you have malls in your city I've seen them in places like Spencers and Hot Topic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

In the phrase "kicking arse and taking names", what is the name-taking about? Are you recording the names of the people whose arses you've kicked? Why?

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Tiggum posted:

In the phrase "kicking arse and taking names", what is the name-taking about? Are you recording the names of the people whose arses you've kicked? Why?

I believe you're creating a list of future asses to kick.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

NotNut posted:

A city.

Try Fest og Farver, they're all over Denmark.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Everett False posted:

I can relate. I'm scanning stuff for a FOIA request. I hate hate HATE when I meticulously take the staple out of a stack of papers, feed it into the scanning machine, and then it turns out whoops there's a random paperclip buried halfway through the stack holding like 3 pages together and the machine jams and grinds to a screeching halt. WHO DOES THAT?!?!?;

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Everett False posted:

I just tear the pages off the stapled stack 6 or so at a time. Like a stack of post-it notes.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

What is this plant?

It came as a weed with a little cactus from Ames in 1992 -- just a single tiny sprout. The cactus died, but the weed's thrived. Now it's enormous, but I've not the slightest clue what it is. Mostly smooth, but it does have small spines here and there.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Does anyone actually like Ziggy? Has anyone here ever laughed from a Ziggy?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

Elaine's boss Peterman, in the television sit-com series Seinfeld, canonically likes Ziggy.

I would ask the same question of maybe half of the entire funnies page though. Who the hell is reading Family Circus and thinks it's good?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Which are the best services to use for selling random poo poo I don't want anymore? I tried eBay recently and the experience loving sucked. Never used fb marketplace or Craigslist or any of the apps but I want to move poo poo asap

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

alnilam posted:

Elaine's boss Peterman, in the television sit-com series Seinfeld, canonically likes Ziggy.

I would ask the same question of maybe half of the entire funnies page though. Who the hell is reading Family Circus and thinks it's good?

Heathcliff better be included in the "good" half here.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

regulargonzalez posted:

The only Ziggy thing I ever liked was his 1982 Christmas special.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

regulargonzalez posted:

alnilam posted:

They're zombie strips -- they've been around for decades, their creators are long dead, and the people currently drawing them don't dare change up the winning formula. You can't really say that a lot of people actually like them, but there's a large contingent of old people (who, let's be honest, are the only ones still subscribing to newspapers) who scream bloody murder if anything that's been around that long would dare to go away. So it's these moribund old strips that usually come out at the top of the reader surveys.

But some of us appreciate the art form, and the comic strip world is bigger than the zombie strips everyone knows. In fact there are some out there that are actually pretty good. So come to the newspaper comic strip thread, we post all kinds of strips, good and bad, from the present day or anytime in the last century or so. And come to think of it, nobody's currently posting Ziggy...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953606

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I've Googled and haven't found any good answers: I neither have nor want a Twitter account. Recently, Twitter keeps popping up a message to ask that I log in; it used to just do this the first time I went to the store in a day, but now it's doing it for all sorts of threads/pictures every time I click on them, and when I click the "gently caress off" option, it backs me out to the previous page. So, I created a Twitter account just to browse using a bullshit email address, and it immediately locked down the account "for security reasons" and it's demanding I put in a phone number to login. Free numbers provided by various websites don't work.

All of this is to ask: is there an easy way for me to browse Twitter without giving Twitter my phone number?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

I've Googled and haven't found any good answers: I neither have nor want a Twitter account. Recently, Twitter keeps popping up a message to ask that I log in; it used to just do this the first time I went to the store in a day, but now it's doing it for all sorts of threads/pictures every time I click on them, and when I click the "gently caress off" option, it backs me out to the previous page. So, I created a Twitter account just to browse using a bullshit email address, and it immediately locked down the account "for security reasons" and it's demanding I put in a phone number to login. Free numbers provided by various websites don't work.

All of this is to ask: is there an easy way for me to browse Twitter without giving Twitter my phone number?

If you’re using a phone to browse you’re probably sol, but you should be able to browse it on desktop without logging in.

Vanant
Mar 27, 2010
If you're on desktop clear Twitter's cookies from your browser, that'll shut them up for a week or so (and then delete them again). You don't have to be logged in.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

On desktop I hit ctrl+f5 whenever the message pops and it reloads without it. Super annoying but no logging in.

edit: Is there a thread for favorite redtext? A really good one always makes me laugh.

Everett False fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 7, 2021

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

dustin.h posted:

What is this plant?

It came as a weed with a little cactus from Ames in 1992 -- just a single tiny sprout. The cactus died, but the weed's thrived. Now it's enormous, but I've not the slightest clue what it is. Mostly smooth, but it does have small spines here and there.

Rhipsalis aka Mistletoe Cactus?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I currently have TSA Pre-Check and want to get Global Entry. When I get Global Entry will it renew my Pre-Check so they expire at the same time, or will they be out of sync?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Thanatosian posted:

Yes, there is!

https://nitter.net/about

quote:

Nitter is a free and open source alternative Twitter front-end focused on privacy. The source is available on GitHub at https://github.com/zedeus/nitter

No JavaScript or ads

All requests go through the backend, client never talks to Twitter

Prevents Twitter from tracking your IP or JavaScript fingerprint

Uses Twitter's unofficial API (no rate limits or developer account required)

Lightweight (for @nim_lang, 60KB vs 784KB from twitter.com)

RSS feeds

Themes

Mobile support (responsive design)

AGPLv3 licensed, no proprietary instances permitted

Nitter's GitHub wiki contains instances and browser extensions maintained by the community.

Basically, you just replace the "twitter.com" part of the url with "nitter.net".

Sometimes it gets rate limited, but there are lots of mirrors to choose from.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Klowner posted:

Which are the best services to use for selling random poo poo I don't want anymore? I tried eBay recently and the experience loving sucked. Never used fb marketplace or Craigslist or any of the apps but I want to move poo poo asap

This is going to be kinda dependent n your area but OfferUp and FB Marketplace are the two fastest places to sell stuff for me. If I put something up on OfferUp I’ll have it sold in an hour or two.

Craigslist is fine but it’s kind of a relic of the past. Mobile-first buy/sell apps are where the normies are now.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FCKGW posted:

This is going to be kinda dependent n your area but OfferUp and FB Marketplace are the two fastest places to sell stuff for me. If I put something up on OfferUp I’ll have it sold in an hour or two.

Craigslist is fine but it’s kind of a relic of the past. Mobile-first buy/sell apps are where the normies are now.

cool thanks

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

regulargonzalez posted:

Yes. I like Ziggy. It's the mix of absurdity and the utterly resigned way Ziggy reacts to the constant malice and misfortune that befalls him. He doesn't know why his life is like this, but he knows he can't change it. I don't think it really works if you just read one strip by itself, but if you read it daily it grows on you.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Human Tornada posted:

Rhipsalis aka Mistletoe Cactus?
That looks right, thank you. Almost thirty years and I've never known.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

So the USB ports on the back of my PC are better than the ones on front, for some reason. Does a USB hub turn one back usb port into multiple back usb ports, or should i plug it in the front?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Mescal posted:

So the USB ports on the back of my PC are better than the ones on front, for some reason. Does a USB hub turn one back usb port into multiple back usb ports, or should i plug it in the front?

It's possible that your front port is USB 2, and the back are USB 3 (are the back ones blue on the inside where the front is white?). IF SO (assuming it's not because something's wrong with the front), it's up to the hub:

• A USB 3 hub plugged into the back will output USB 3
  • A USB 2 hub plugged into the back will just output USB 2
  • A USB 3 hub plugged into the front would be restricted to USB 2

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

What's a good as hell brand of frozen pizza?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

You know those images that make it into photoshops a lot that's like, a drawing of some weird monkey creature riding on some weird screaming yeti creature and sinking its claws in and drawing blood, and sometimes it says Seasons Greetings? What's that from, what's the story?