Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

So hit up walmart's and GameStop's at opening tomorrow for the amibos and hope they have them in stock? Do we have a bricklink?

Edit: what a dumb snipe. Here's some Nintendo power covers.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

EMMIs so far feel like a punishment for going into the areas that are most fun to explore.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

bladeworksmaster posted:

You’re really close to the end now, keep on and you can do it!

Wanted to say thanks for the encouragement, I took a look at a guide and saw how little I had to go so powered on through this morning despite the powerful temptation of Metroid Dread sitting right next to me.
Clear time 3:39, 49%. :yeah:

Time for Dread.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I like how this cover just has her in a pose that screams, "Whoa, kid! Put down that Game Informer and get an OFFICIAL NINTENDO POWER MAGAZINE!!"

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Hrist posted:

I like how this cover just has her in a pose that screams, "Whoa, kid! Put down that Game Informer and get an OFFICIAL NINTENDO POWER MAGAZINE!!"

drat I just googled. Game Informer has been around since August 1991.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I’m Jerry Bowling

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Awesome cover

Here's a few pages from the Nintendo Power Super Metroid comic featuring Samus and her bounty hunter friend Houston blasting the gently caress out of some aliens:
https://twitter.com/VGArtAndTidbits/status/1165616042829393921?s=20

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Ten more minutes :f5:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

time to hunt some metroids

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Like a bunch of other people I decided I'd replay Super Metroid before Dread came out. Final results:

Clear time: 3:07
Item collection: 84% (11 energy tanks, 3 reserve tanks, 175 missiles, 50 super missiles, 45 power bombs, and every beam/suit upgrade)

Not bad for not having played it in 15 years or so! I could've even gotten sub-3 hours if I hadn't been an idiot and tried to get into the wrecked ship and hosed around in Maridia after getting power bombs.

I do have to say a lot of the jumping stuff feels clunky though. I remember seeing some other people who played it recently saying wall jumping sucked, ad I was like "Man I remember wall jumping being pretty simple." Nope, I mean in theory it's simple but I wasn't able to pull it off consistently at all. Space jumping also feels incredibly bad, with weird timing and not to mention trying to change directions while space jumping often led Samus to popping out of space jump and going into crouch pose, which was very frustrating. Also, I had a hell of a time trying to hit grapple beam points a lot. Nothing wrong with the game on that though, that's just all me being bad with timing, though the worst one is that one block point you have to grab to get to the Maridia boss.

Anyway I'm ready for Dread, woooo!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Time to Dread it up, see you guys when I finish.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Yessss time for the next mission :banjo:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

:getin:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

more art please but like more hosed up and less symmetrical

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is anyone else having trouble getting this to unlock? Assuming it was supposed to unlock now?

Edit: nvm just unlocked

ExtraQuiet
Apr 25, 2016

by Shine
i had the wrong time zone. i set a new timezone, reset, and it unlocked

bye for now

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So....

It's fine? No weird Other M poo poo going on?

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Okay the E.M.M.I.s do NOT gently caress around. If you make a mistake, you are caught.

There is a tiny, tiny, window of escape if you can counter at the right time.

Died like 8 times them then in the first 50 minutes

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I died a good couple times but I thought that might just be because I was tired

also can someone drop an answer in spoilers regarding whether the game eases off on the cutscenes anytime soon? They're not bad but gd

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Ah, that new Metroid feeling. Can’t wait to play more in the next few days!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Less than an hour in and I'm already confused as to where I should be going :v:

So far I like the way it controls and the music!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

ZeeBoi posted:

Ah, that new Metroid feeling. Can’t wait to play more in the next few days!

The last time I had that feeling it was 2010 and it sucked

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wooooooooow E.M.M.I. zones are terrifying.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

this game feels insanely good to play

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

The EMMI stuff is just a forced stealth section, it's kind of annoying and not that interesting.

It would be cool if you could fight them and make them lay off for a minute or two, even if it took a ton of missiles or something.

vvvv this game feels much harder than any other 2d metroid I've played. enemies do huge damage, it's clear they really want you to engage with the parry mechanic to regain your health

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 8, 2021

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
This is my first Metroid game and I'm starting to suspect I'm not very good at Metroid games but I just got the charge beam and I'm having a good time.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Augus posted:

this game feels insanely good to play

It looks so good on a TV too. This is legit one of the most impressive looking games I've seen on Switch. What a blast! It may supplant Fusion as my favorite 2D Metroid.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

The last time I had that feeling it was 2010 and it sucked

Well now is the time to heal.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

It's 1am, I need to stop playing. poo poo gently caress nah

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

One thing that kept loving me up in the EMMI areas is not being able to grab onto a ledge or properly bounce off a wall so then it catches up to me a little more.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Protip: when you get to a place with a fan that seems to stop you from proceeding, you are in the right place. Don’t be like me and spend hours backtracking assuming you missed some upgrade.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Man going into EMMI zones keeps filling me with dread.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ojetor posted:

The EMMI stuff is just a forced stealth section, it's kind of annoying and not that interesting.

It would be cool if you could fight them and make them lay off for a minute or two, even if it took a ton of missiles or something.

vvvv this game feels much harder than any other 2d metroid I've played. enemies do huge damage, it's clear they really want you to engage with the parry mechanic to regain your health

Everything drops health constantly, and 4/5 times the game overs are just a formality that means you lose a minute or two. Especially if to an EMMI. I wouldn't call the game "hard", but you will get a dozen or two game overs.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
If anyone's still looking for the Special Edition or Amiibos, they just popped up available on Target.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

who the gently caress keeps letting sakamoto write these

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I'm only in the first area but I really like how it weaves safe areas in and out of EMMI zones, really keeps you on your toes

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ojetor posted:

It doesn’t really feel like a stealth section to me tbqh. when I’m in an EMMI zone I’m not hiding and waiting and observing patrol routes, I’m moving towards the exit as quickly as possible

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
45 minutes in and I’m having fun. Feels like Metroid. So far the challenge for the EMMIs is mostly finding the way out, you just gotta keep moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

someone better post a nice scan of the art book i swear!