Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Godholio posted:

It is Sphere. I don't blame anyone for not seeing the film...but the book is good.

Saw the movie first, read the book on deployment. Book was better.

If you're going to watch dusty 90s scifi horror, just watch Event Horizon again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Eh, I did not like the ending at all, what with it being a second cousin of the awful "my third wish is that none of this had ever happened."

Barely teenage me preferred Congo. The book, not the movie. The movie was just godawful.

Congo the movie rules except for the talking ape parts (like I mean the literal talking).

I mean good lord man, how can you not love this scene? Delroy Lindo is fantastic!

https://youtu.be/8fbGbPwKbQA

poo poo I could probably do a review longer then movie about why I love it. lol

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Barely teenage me preferred Congo. The book, not the movie. The movie was just godawful.

You come into my house, on this, the day my Dog graduates from medical school, and speak such vileness on that Tim Curry classic?

Amy Good Gorilla. Congo Good Movie.

(I actually love Congo because it's such a fun romp of insanity)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I mean good lord man, how can you not love this scene? Delroy Lindo is fantastic!

Its a great scene but even Delroy Lindo and Tim Curry can't rescue the movie. They completely whiffed my favorite parts of the book (the long, claustrophobic buildup to their arrival in the lost city that was occasionally interrupted by gorilla attacks). Also the monster gorilla costumes looked like poo poo.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Eh, I did not like the ending at all, what with it being a second cousin of the awful "my third wish is that none of this had ever happened."

Ugly, ugly gorrila, go away!

Edit: beaten like Richard

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Congo is one the the greatest bad movies of its generation

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's a complete waste of Bruce Campell, is what it is.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
bruce Campbell would never be in a terrible movie!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfgWw43Fcuw

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Milo and POTUS posted:

bruce Campbell would never be in a terrible movie!

but if he was it would be awesome

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

When I was young my dad had Congo on laserdisc and we loved it. It was a great movie then, riding on the cuffs of Jurassic Park it’s animatronics and effects were good, and the comedy was good too. I recently watched it with my wife and kids, like two months ago, and it just really exemplified how different movies are these days. We expect so much more out of movies now, and get arguably a lot more visual and a lot less mental out of them at times. Trying to fit Congo into the current movie meta is just not possible, and it makes it stink to high heaven. But back when it came out? It was good times. It’s weird how much expectations in film have changed.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I've neither seen nor heard of Congo, but after those clips it's now on my queue for the weekend.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cugel the Clever posted:

I've neither seen nor heard of Congo, but after those clips it's now on my queue for the weekend.

Wait until you see how easy it is to easily decoy MANPADs! :shepface:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

hobbesmaster posted:

If no other ship is reporting a collision what are the options other than a seamount?

id say it depends on how close it is to one of the fake islands the chinese have built in the area. and if it might be another spot they are trying to build one.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Oh man, I forgot about the ugly gorillas literally exploding when getting shot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I agree with all of this.

Congo should've been a dark thriller, not...that.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The eyeball scene hosed me up real bad as a kid.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Bruce Campbell loved that effect according to the collectors magazine I had at the time!

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Oh what luck, they added Congo to YouTube's free movies last week.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Oh man, I forgot about the ugly gorillas literally exploding when getting shot.

Well let's see how well you do vs a laser beam meant for space communications (or drilling i don't remember) with a diamond the size of your fist crammed into it. What do you mean the size of a raw uncut diamond doesn't amplify its destructive power? Have YOU ever killed inbred carnivore guarddog apes? I think not good DAY sir

Edit: i do like how in that era of movie making the more delicate and experimental a piece of technology the more you beat the piss out of it the more it will magically do the thing you want it wasnt made to do

Stravag fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 8, 2021

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Stravag posted:

Edit: i do like how in that era of movie making the more delicate and experimental a piece of technology the more you beat the piss out of it the more it will magically do the thing you want it wasnt made to do

This.. is how we got astronauts to the moon.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Stravag posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEkOT3IngMQ

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Wasabi the J posted:

The eyeball scene hosed me up real bad as a kid.

Same. It’s the only scene I remember after 25ish years.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Cole I think we're just the same person

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I only remember the hippo attack and xenonorph sentry-gun scene from Congo, that and Tim Curry saying Zinj. I don't even remember Bruce Campbell being in it. I'm still out sick, I think I need to rewatch it today.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Speaking of Bruce Campbell, October 15th will mark the 40th anniversary of the release of the classic Sam Raimi movie The Evil Dead. Bruce stars as Ash Williams, a kind of hapless everyman thrust into a demonically-tinged nightmare that can only be solved by total dismemberment (as is usually the case.) I figure I'd bring this up now because I figure by the 15th, this thread will have moved on to discussing the new revelations of how Trump sought to overturn the election by releasing genetically modified Brown Recluse Murder Hornets into Congress.

Anyhow, the Evil Dead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL6mioAlpJk

The first one, which grew out of the 1978 short Within The Woods, had some unique camera tricks and really attempted to be a "serious" horror movie in terms of gore and the overall atmosphere. It also had a, uh, unfortunate love scene involving a horny demonic tree. The sequel, Evil Dead 2, was kind of a sequel-remake to the first Evil Dead movie, and was the first notable time that Raimi and Campbell really found their "splatstick" formula of excessive gore employed in a kind of tongue and cheek way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIJTvEo4N4Q

This was followed by Army of Darkness, which completely abandons any pretense of being a horror movie and is instead full of over-the-top dialogue and action scenes to boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or3okI_mad8

If you've never seen any of these and are looking for a fun little popcorn movie experience, I'd recommend starting with Evil Dead 2 and marathoning straight through to Army of Darkness.

xpostin' this and shamelessly plugging the Spooky Season thread.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The sequel, Evil Dead 2, was kind of a sequel-remake to the first Evil Dead movie, and was the first notable time that Raimi and Campbell really found their "splatstick" formula of excessive gore employed in a kind of tongue and cheek way.

An old high school memory - friends and I were watching Evil Dead 2 in my mom's basement. I was told it was a Bruce Campbell movie, so my idiot brain decided that Bruce Campbell was the name of the character coming in to save everyone at the end. My dumbass had to be told that Bruce Campbell is the actor's name and he's playing Ash in the movie.

Bubba Ho-Tep is underrated.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The first one should be watched, but not first. It's one of those "this movie is really bad, let's drink (or get high I guess?) and watch.

Funkysock
Aug 8, 2011

Clapping Larry

hobbesmaster posted:

If no other ship is reporting a collision what are the options other than a seamount?

My money is on whale attack like the whaleship Essex. "In the Heart of the Sea" is a good, if grim, book about it.

Also, the Ash vs. Evil Dead series is a pretty good successor to the Evil Dead movies, IMO.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Just read about the essex. Those motherfuckers killed over 300 tortoises. Combine that with the fact that they were whaling, makes 8 survivors too many.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

facialimpediment posted:

An old high school memory - friends and I were watching Evil Dead 2 in my mom's basement. I was told it was a Bruce Campbell movie, so my idiot brain decided that Bruce Campbell was the name of the character coming in to save everyone at the end. My dumbass had to be told that Bruce Campbell is the actor's name and he's playing Ash in the movie.

The originals are great but the 2013 remake was a weird joyless slog without any Campbell or Raimi charm.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

I'm seeing people dance on Twitter about "Trump is Broke" because some documents released by the House Oversight Committee indicate the D.C. Trump International Hotel experienced a net loss of $70 million while he was president.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/08/politics/trump-hotel-dc/index.html

quote:

Trump's income from the Trump International Hotel reported in public financial disclosures dating from 2016 to 2020 totaled more than $156 million, the committee said Friday.

But in that four-year period, Trump's DC hotel actually suffered a net loss of more than $70 million while he was president and had to be loaned more than $27 million from one of Trump's holding companies, DJT Holdings LLC, from 2017 to 2020, according to hotel financial statements the committee obtained.
More than $24 million was not repaid and was instead converted to capital contributions, the committee said.

I mean I'm not a money numbers talker, but it seems like you would want to be showing losses all the time or defer losses from a bad period across the next three. If the hotel was taking-in money hand-over-fist, wouldn't you expect the business to find way of funneling that off to other parts they wouldn't have to pay tax on?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Speaking of Bruce Campbell, October 15th will mark the 40th anniversary of the release of the classic Sam Raimi movie The Evil Dead. Bruce stars as Ash Williams, a kind of devastatingly handsome and suave everyman

Small error I corrected for you there

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Lake of Methane posted:

I'm seeing people dance on Twitter about "Trump is Broke" because some documents released by the House Oversight Committee indicate the D.C. Trump International Hotel experienced a net loss of $70 million while he was president.

It's also because he got booted from the Forbes 400-richest list that he actually cares about, plus Deutsche Bank's general shadiness involving a loan break given to him regarding that hotel. Don't really think about it too hard, especially when it comes to twitlibs basically saying HAH, GOT HIM NOW. So just giggle that he couldn't even be competent at getting bribed.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

What's great is how much of Evil Dead comes through parts of Raimi's Spiderman 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz-17z44F6g

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lake of Methane posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/08/politics/trump-hotel-dc/index.html

I mean I'm not a money numbers talker, but it seems like you would want to be showing losses all the time or defer losses from a bad period across the next three. If the hotel was taking-in money hand-over-fist, wouldn't you expect the business to find way of funneling that off to other parts they wouldn't have to pay tax on?

Half of Trump's poo poo before he took office was tax tricks to make it look like a profitable business was losing money so he never actually paid taxes. He literally bragged about it on the campaign trail

part of that is loaning yourself money so imaginary debt occurs

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Terrifying Effigies posted:

What's great is how much of Evil Dead comes through parts of Raimi's Spiderman 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz-17z44F6g

Man I haven't seen that movie in a long time, I need to revisit the trilogy before no way home comes out. I remember parts of 3 were better than the whole, if only the studio had left him alone. Never saw either of the ASM movies either, might as well get those out of the way.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
its trivial for businesses to lose money while being wildly profitable, its just that the IRS is too busy chasing people who might have earned $7 more than the maximum for claiming the EITC

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

facialimpediment posted:

Truth. Seriously, worth the watch if you've never seen it.

Bruce was also in a Jim Carrey movie some 15 years ago but it's a bit role overacting for film sequence shown in the movie, The Majestic. So like, 2 minutes of campy relief while Jim Carrey is being largely sad and confused for 2 hours. Best 2 minutes of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ugh

Thread worth reading

https://twitter.com/bykenarmstrong/status/1446505198516535297?s=20

https://twitter.com/bykenarmstrong/status/1446506352608567300?s=20

https://twitter.com/bykenarmstrong/status/1446508171388854284?s=20