Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Love Stole the Day posted:

I read in a blog post recently that the easiest strategy to retire at 40 is to join a few almost-ready-to-IPO companies and sell the equity eventually. By that logic (not that I'd know from experience) A sounds good but if you really believe that B will IPO after a year then hopefully A will still respond to your job application if it doesn't actually happen anyway.

The easiest strategy to retire at 40 is to get a high paying tech job with liquid stock and save a reasonable amount. You might make more by joining a company on the verge of IPO, but your also taking a risk that there is a liquidity event within your timeframe and the stock increases in value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I flagged a Glassdoor review because the job title didn't exist and they declined to remove it lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i believe the phrase "if you're not paying you're not the customer you're the product" had a basically specific genesis in one specific post on metafilter by bluebeetle like a decade ago. but it applies to glassdoor and it applies hard

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

bob dobbs is dead posted:

spans 3 orders of magnitude ime. 6 hours to 5 months

This is my experience. I had a recruiter reach out to me, balk at my base/TC #'s to get me interested in a move, but submit me to the role anyway.

2 months later they sent me a rejection letter, and I'm going, "uh, you called me..."

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Applying through a website is such a waste of time. I've burned out of the application process so many times in the past. This time I optimized for connecting with recruiters and I got initial interviews with 32 different companies without a single application. All but a few were scheduled within days of the initial contact.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

sim posted:

This time I optimized for connecting with recruiters and I got initial interviews with 32 different companies without a single application. All but a few were scheduled within days of the initial contact.

Can you go into more details about this? Most of the recruiters I've contacted often tell me to submit an application on the website anyway.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Armauk posted:

Can you go into more details about this? Most of the recruiters I've contacted often tell me to submit an application on the website anyway.

Yeah I had a couple that asked for that, but by and large I just gave my resume to the recruiter and they handled the rest. I followed this guy's advice: https://egghead.io/talks/egghead-how-social-media-can-land-you-your-dream-job. Note that I do have 12 years of experience with frontend dev, so your mileage may vary depending on how hot the market is for your particular skillset.

My LinkedIn was already detailed and up to date and I already had over 500 connections. However updating my photo, header image, title, and then turning on "looking for work" just opened the floodgates. I can't remember if it was in that video, but I heard that responding quickly to every message also helps boost your profile in LinkedIn searches, so I made sure to do that, even if I was just declining them.

If it was an external recruiter and I hadn't heard of the company, I responded with my list of criteria: remote-forever, $xxx base salary, 401K, etc. That filtered out a lot of bad jobs/recruiters. It really started to snowball once I started interviewing. I was able to be more strict about filtering and for anything I was interested in, I let the recruiter know that I was already interviewing with multiple companies and looking to make a decision within the next two weeks. That sped up the process and I was able to get interviews booked immediately.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

^ yep 100% this

Also, pick a specialty and "SEO optimize" your LinkedIn profile. If you want an SRE position you drat better well have python, go, kubetnetes and prometheus on there. If you are a backend dev, C++, java python postgres, redis, maybe even rust. Front end... Uhh, angular, react, node? If you go look at the stack exchange most popular languages rankings that should give you an idea of what people will be hiring for soon

If your profile mostly just lists ruby and a bunch of other 2012 era technologies (nagios, ansible, mysql, memcache) you might consider a full makeover, hardly anyone is optimizing for that. I haven't interviewed anyone with php or perl on their resume in years and years

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Hadlock posted:

^ yep 100% this

Also, pick a specialty and "SEO optimize" your LinkedIn profile. If you want an SRE position you drat better well have python, go, kubetnetes and prometheus on there. If you are a backend dev, C++, java python postgres, redis, maybe even rust. Front end... Uhh, angular, react, node? If you go look at the stack exchange most popular languages rankings that should give you an idea of what people will be hiring for soon

If your profile mostly just lists ruby and a bunch of other 2012 era technologies (nagios, ansible, mysql, memcache) you might consider a full makeover, hardly anyone is optimizing for that. I haven't interviewed anyone with php or perl on their resume in years and years

Ruby's niche, but if you have it you're a god amongst code school grads.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

kayakyakr posted:

lol this is true

downside is you're probably working in a rails shop with all that entails

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

kayakyakr posted:

... Is that gonna make me more money than a Google job? Ruby is my favorite among any language I've worked with.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lmao

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

EVOO keeps delivering.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:shrug: I like Ruby’s expressiveness and it’s my go-to tool for scripting and sketching. With this new job though I’m gonna be working in Real Non-P-Langs so maybe I’ll find a new home.

it could be clojure :v:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ima tell you writin clojure all day erry day for close to a year now, that the fuckin stack traces just remain continually poo poo

everything else has been great tho

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i didn't know google used clojure

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My last rejection was because I came across as being very jaded (despite personally working very hard to be upbeat) so I think I'm putting my job search on ice and legitimately considering therapy because I think that's a level of strange that's outside of my own self control.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Achmed Jones posted:

i didn't know google used clojure

it's only a matter of time before google clojures all it's apps

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
ruby /is/ having a bit of a renaissance with the work done via shopify and stripe to dramatically improve the tooling around the language. chris seatons work in the community is also a singular boon and we should expect material advances in runtime perf through his work.

i don’t think it’d be unreasonable to bet that ruby becomes more mainstream and python becomes more niche as time goes on, which would’ve been an awful bet even a few years ago.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What are some deficiencies in Python culture there that would cause it to lose ground? I am curious for the sake of understanding my blind spots.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What are some deficiencies in Python culture there that would cause it to lose ground? I am curious for the sake of understanding my blind spots.

truffleruby has had its gil whacked

not much else that ruby has that python doesnt

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FamDav posted:

i don’t think it’d be unreasonable to bet that ruby becomes more mainstream and python becomes more niche as time goes on, which would’ve been an awful bet even a few years ago.

Can you go into more detail on this

I haven't heard much about Ruby since about v2.3 and we were only just starting to roll out rails 5 apps when I left that shop in...2016?

Looks like Ruby 3.1 is coming out before year end, and they're on to Rails 6 already

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Midwest oldie here, and I can't recall the last time I've seen Ruby on a resume (maybe 2018?), and it's challenging to find someone that doesn't have Python in their toolkit in 2021. That goes for oldies and all the intern/recruiting events I'm part of. I'd be shocked if Ruby/Python switched roles, but crazier things have happened.

Unrelated, I'm having the "I've flipped my bit and am making a change - let's discuss if that means I stay here or go" talk with my director today. Wish me luck.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 8, 2021

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Hadlock posted:

Can you go into more detail on this

I haven't heard much about Ruby since about v2.3 and we were only just starting to roll out rails 5 apps when I left that shop in...2016?

Looks like Ruby 3.1 is coming out before year end, and they're on to Rails 6 already

Ruby 3.1 and Rails 7 both come out this year.

They had a big push to speed up MRI for Ruby 3. They did pretty good. Rails apps gained 20% and non-rails gained something like 50-100%.

Here's the reason for the switch in Ruby vs Python: Ruby was the language of choice for startups back the 2000's and early 2010's. What are those startups doing now? Well, they're maintaining a legacy ruby codebase. So Ruby is now the language of mature businesses, and startups have moved on to other weird stuff.

If Ruby cycles back to being the new hotness, it will be because 1) the Ruby community is still amazing (there's a gem for that), and 2) some of the newest Rails features "return joy to programming", in that they bring the front-end back to Rails while making it run more like Phoenix on Elixir. I feel like Ruby has settled in as the #5 language, well ahead of php and the niche languages (go, elixir, etc), but behind Python, Java, C#, and JS.

Of note: code school grads seem like they're still 50% Rails, 25% Node, 20% Python, and 5% Other.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

sim posted:

Yeah I had a couple that asked for that, but by and large I just gave my resume to the recruiter and they handled the rest. I followed this guy's advice: https://egghead.io/talks/egghead-how-social-media-can-land-you-your-dream-job. Note that I do have 12 years of experience with frontend dev, so your mileage may vary depending on how hot the market is for your particular skillset.

My LinkedIn was already detailed and up to date and I already had over 500 connections. However updating my photo, header image, title, and then turning on "looking for work" just opened the floodgates. I can't remember if it was in that video, but I heard that responding quickly to every message also helps boost your profile in LinkedIn searches, so I made sure to do that, even if I was just declining them.

If it was an external recruiter and I hadn't heard of the company, I responded with my list of criteria: remote-forever, $xxx base salary, 401K, etc. That filtered out a lot of bad jobs/recruiters. It really started to snowball once I started interviewing. I was able to be more strict about filtering and for anything I was interested in, I let the recruiter know that I was already interviewing with multiple companies and looking to make a decision within the next two weeks. That sped up the process and I was able to get interviews booked immediately.

So it seems LinkedIn does most of the work here.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Yes, absolutely. I've connected with a few recruiters via Twitter or directly through email, but LinkedIn is by far the most useful tool (that I've used) for getting interviews.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i never learned python well because i was doing perl poo poo circa 2003 and then i got a job as a student that used ruby. rails wasn't available yet on our architecture so we rolled our own thing, but I ended up doing ruby for the next few years and then went to grad school and didnt program much, and then got a job at a rails shop. now i do infosec poo poo and nobody cares what language terrible one-off scripts are in

anyway does ruby have equivalents for numpy, pandas, and scapy these days? what about jupyter poo poo? i didnt see python start overtaking ruby for webdev until ML became the new hotness so everybody that wanted to do a toy project got their feet wet there.

big lost opportunity for the ruby community IMO. scapy was really important to me but is pretty niche; not having good numpy/pandas replacements was really bad though

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Achmed Jones posted:

i never learned python well because i was doing perl poo poo circa 2003 and then i got a job as a student that used ruby. rails wasn't available yet on our architecture so we rolled our own thing, but I ended up doing ruby for the next few years and then went to grad school and didnt program much, and then got a job at a rails shop. now i do infosec poo poo and nobody cares what language terrible one-off scripts are in

anyway does ruby have equivalents for numpy, pandas, and scapy these days? what about jupyter poo poo? i didnt see python start overtaking ruby for webdev until ML became the new hotness so everybody that wanted to do a toy project got their feet wet there.

big lost opportunity for the ruby community IMO. scapy was really important to me but is pretty niche; not having good numpy/pandas replacements was really bad though

There are a number, yes. There's always a gem for that.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

don't give me that, there's a difference between a good gem and a gem that someone shat out five years ago and hasn't updated since. please name names if you know and can recommend some, because i did a lot of searching circa 2018 and they were pretty much all trash

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theyre all still trash and not even close to numpy / scipy / all the other poo poo python has functionality

if you're still plugged into rubyland they would tell you if they had anything better for anything numeric than python. they dont

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 8, 2021

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Achmed Jones posted:

don't give me that, there's a difference between a good gem and a gem that someone shat out five years ago and hasn't updated since. please name names if you know and can recommend some, because i did a lot of searching circa 2018 and they were pretty much all trash

*shrug* that has been an issue with ruby gems being old. but also math doesn't change and a lot of those old gems that haven't been updated in years still work just fine.

If I was working in Ruby with something like this, then I would find something that would do the job. If I was creating something new, then I probably wouldn't touch it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

kayakyakr posted:

*shrug* that has been an issue with ruby gems being old. but also math doesn't change and a lot of those old gems that haven't been updated in years still work just fine.

Tell me you don't work in scientific computing without telling me that you don't work in scientific computing.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah even places all in on Ruby like Shopify still use Python for all their DS&ML with a smattering of Go for pipeline work.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

kayakyakr posted:

If I was working in Ruby with something like this, then I would find something that would do the job. If I was creating something new, then I probably wouldn't touch it.

oh ok you were blowing smoke then

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah even places all in on Ruby like Shopify still use Python for all their DS&ML with a smattering of Go for pipeline work.

yeah that was the state of things last i looked too. dang. oh well

i expect that ruby'll eventually get good packetcrafting (if it doesn't have it already) for metasploit reasons if nothing else

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Worth noting in this conversation that Guido is working full time at Microsoft on improving speeds for Python at the moment, I'm not sure of what all progress is being made but I personally find it difficult to imagine Ruby rising from the grave.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I can absolutely see a wave of blog posts about Ruby being super good now.

Kinda like Perl 6 :v:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Crystal seems cool

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

kayakyakr posted:

a lot of engineering work has gone into the python data ecosystem across performance, features, and ergonomics, and this has been true for a long time. pandas made data analysis in Python easier and more popular, but it could only be built thanks to numpy already existing

I think some of that work wouldn't be necessary with a more performant language (not Ruby unfortunately) but that aside there's a lot happening in data land, and niche languages in that domain will get further left behind in terms of overall usability

though JRuby with Cascading is or was a thing, so there's always opportunities for the sufficiently motivated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

cum jabbar posted:

Crystal seems cool

Well now that Steve Klabnik is angry at Amazon about Rust, we need to find some other esoteric language to hype to the moon - so why not?