Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

stev posted:

David Mitchell was on this week's RHLSTP and confirmed he's never going to do Taskmaster, basically because he'd be too poo poo at it and wouldn't enjoy being poo poo. Which is a drat shame.

While he seems like someone that’s great and you’d want him on Taskmaster the show really isn’t setup for his brand of humor and his personality. He needs quick witted back and forth conversations with people and he also seems like a much more level headed cool analytical person. He wouldn’t be much fun I don’t think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

The NZ has had contestants getting naked more than once wheres I'm sure I recall a UK contestant commenting that during their filming they were warned against it (as in workplace rules protecting production staff). UK NZ has only sailed close to nudity; such as the careful stage management of Little Alex Horne sitting in the cake.

Rhod Gilbert did worse things to Alex in his season.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What has Britannia come to when you can't have your mate's knob out for a laugh

surely fixing that is worth some shortages of basic goods

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Disappointing Pie posted:

While he seems like someone that’s great and you’d want him on Taskmaster the show really isn’t setup for his brand of humor and his personality. He needs quick witted back and forth conversations with people and he also seems like a much more level headed cool analytical person. He wouldn’t be much fun I don’t think.

He'd be a good replacement for Alex if that would ever happen

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Too many tasks with complex scoring in this series, I feel. The tasks themselves may be entertaining to watch, but all the talk about different parameters that affect the score puts a bit of a damper on the pace of the show.

On the plus side, I really enjoy Victoria's gradual resignation to the nature of the show. I expect her to either completely submit to Greg's authority or start launching into incoherent shouting bouts over scoring very soon.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That prize task was great, the short thrillers were fun, and the 'Copy Alex' task was visual insanity.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah 'copy Alex' was great. He seemed so pleased with himself for learning that little dance. It should have just been scored by Greg deciding who got it closest though.

I get the feeling Alex was sick of no one working out his little tricks so just decided to spell it out for Morgana. I'm surprised they didn't make more of that in the studio.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Belated comment on episode 2 but "working out Alex' tricks" reminded me: thought it was a shame no one just took their camera helmet off when they worked it out.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I need that Copy Alex track.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

stev posted:

Yeah 'copy Alex' was great. He seemed so pleased with himself for learning that little dance. It should have just been scored by Greg deciding who got it closest though.

I get the feeling Alex was sick of no one working out his little tricks so just decided to spell it out for Morgana. I'm surprised they didn't make more of that in the studio.

The fact that Morgana built an absolutely terrible bridge with the materials made it all the better.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
This is the best season in years.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
There are some tasks that you know are going down as classics, bound to appear in the internation versions in the near future. Silent cocktails from Series 10 was one I had banked (and it did appear last week on Danish TM). I think Copy Alex is the safest bet so far from this series.

Speaking of things we're seen before, the bridge task was a remix of a classic from season two. I think the Channel 4 series have done a good job in that respect of finding ways to bring some of the old favourites to a wider audience, while still being distinct enough for long term fans to appreciate (another Series 10 example: team watermelon eating). Sand bridge brings interesting things into play - like rewarding a genuine sand bridge over the other efforts. Right call, Greg.

Also, although Victoria hasn't had the best run of episode scores, each time she's won a task she's been utterly overkill on it. The clinical, precise tasting on last week's doggy bag task, copying Alex very precisely. Just needs a few of those to fall into the same episode.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I think the genius move for doing the copy Alex task would be to just start copying him when he first starts demonstrating. Doing it along with him twice is going to be a far better way to remember it than just watching

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Terminally Bored posted:

Overall I have to say I'd rank it somewhere in the middle of all the series; good but not great. It's better than the first C4 series but so far probably a slight drop on 11. Too many tasks are still lacking the effortless brilliance of the earlier series, or indeed what TMNZ is currently coming up with.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

Of UK only? Maybe, of the literally two years exactly, because season 7 would like a word if you go past that.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Overall I have to say I'd rank it somewhere in the middle of all the series; good but not great. It's better than the first C4 series but so far probably a slight drop on 11. Too many tasks are still lacking the effortless brilliance of the earlier series, or indeed what TMNZ is currently coming up with.

This is how I feel so far. This seasons been solid but I haven’t been as sold on it as others. It probably doesn’t help that series 11 was so killer on personality and Taskmaster NZ season 2 was so great on tasks and personality. I cannot praise TM NZ 2 enough on having simple tasks that felt so so fresh.

Disappointing Pie fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 9, 2021

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Not really a fan of the tasks that boil down to “make a short film”. They take up a ton of time and are never really that good or funny. Plus it’s like 50% of the work is done by the show editors and not the person.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

drunken officeparty posted:

Not really a fan of the tasks that boil down to “make a short film”. They take up a ton of time and are never really that good or funny. Plus it’s like 50% of the work is done by the show editors and not the person.

I sort of agree - though there have been plenty that turned out great. I think tasks that just tell the contestants "be creative and funny" tend to be the most likely to fall flat on their face.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, in theory a bunch of comedians would be good at coming up with a funny and creative script but professionally they're gonna be more used to having weeks to write and refine something like that. Alan Davies' film there had all the dramatic energy of a nine-year-old playing with his bath toys.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Interviews with contestants are back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOkSpwqyVQA

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Paladinus posted:

Interviews with contestants are back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOkSpwqyVQA

Ok that's an incredibly annoying song. Not at all like the Horne Section podcast.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Guz is easily one of the top contestants ever.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Heavy_D posted:

Also, although Victoria hasn't had the best run of episode scores, each time she's won a task she's been utterly overkill on it. The clinical, precise tasting on last week's doggy bag task, copying Alex very precisely. Just needs a few of those to fall into the same episode.

Her and Alan are my favorites this season. Alan seems to be stumbling through each task, without much ambition to really win but having a good time vs. Victoria's gumption. She may be doing not-so-great point wise, but she's a delight on the show.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Another Coren head-accessory on Only Connect tonight

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
How are US people watching this? Just VPN? I found the first 2 episodes of season 12 but either he hasn't put out any more or they're blocked.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Beerdeer posted:

How are US people watching this? Just VPN? I found the first 2 episodes of season 12 but either he hasn't put out any more or they're blocked.

If we're talking about the same channel, check their community tab.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

oh jay posted:

If we're talking about the same channel, check their community tab.

Oh cool! Cheers!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Sweden is franchising this as best in test and its loving hilarious! Will ofc watch this as well!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCkfa9ygKNU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Things I didn't realized that I missed during Taskmaster NZ
  • Greg Davies chewing the scenery
  • The way Alex plays around with the english language

One thing I didn't miss
  • Greg Screeching 'Little Alex Horne' in falsetto.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've seen it said and I think it might be right that it suits Taskmaster NZ to have a somewhat more sedate taskmaster, to balance the contestants being so insane. I think Jeremy could improve some on his interactions with them but if the host was at the same level as Greg it might just be too much.

Paul's 'completely overwhelmed by these maniacs' vibe plays against the NZ contestant style pretty well too.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 14, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Jaguars! posted:

• Greg Screeching 'Little Alex Horne' in falsetto.

I think thankfully he's scaled back a little on this. A couple of seasons ago it hit a pretty ridiculous level.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Oh dear, doesn't look like this is the week Victoria mounts her comeback...

Foreign Taskmaster roundup: If you like seeing original tasks, this is a good week to be watching Kongen Befalen and Stormester (with qualification). On the Norwegian side we had:

Prize: Best thing made for you by a family member

Build the best cabin indoors. You cannot destroy anything.

Very necessary instruction on KB, and created some unexpected jeopardy

Put things in order. Time starts now.
This task came with six objects and a specific solution: the names of the objects started with the Danish numbers one, two, three, four, five, six e.g. sextant

Build a boat for Olli. The boat will be launched in an hour. Best boat wins.

Live: Complete the race as slowly as possible. You must not fall off your [child-sized] bike.

That's a full episode with no direct translations of UK tasks.

Stormester treated us to the following:
Convince this Swede that you are the most famous person on Stormester. Everything you say must be true.

Hide the coconut from Mark. The coconut must be inside the square.
The square marked out a room-sized patch of a sandy horse-riding course. It's fairly similar to hide the aubergine, but the difference in location combined with the indivisibility of a coconut made it feel distinct.

Make an original re-creation of a landmark event. It must be made from dairy products.

Build a birdhouse from the board by completing these three processes:
- Divide it
- Fasten it
- Make a hole for the bird
Use a unique tool for each process. If you use the same tool as another contestant you will both be disqualified.

The only qualifier is that those tasks are not as original as they look, they just haven't appeared on UK Taskmaster before. The first and the last task came from earlier series of Kongen Befaler, and the dairy products task is only a slight variation on one from Bäst i Test (where the film had to be a horror trailer instead of landmark event).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Are those available on YouTube? The nz ones seem to come and go

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Doesn't seem like new episodes get regularly uploaded to youtube, but someone's put Season 1 of Kongen Befaler up there recently with the subtitles attached, so there's a way to see a bit of it right now.

New episode! I like how Greg has an ongoing bit where he attributes increasingly unflattering quotes to Alex. Guz caught on to that in an early episode and piled in with one of his own, which was a nice bit of contestant-taskmaster bonding.Wasn't blown away by any of the tasks this week but still good fun, and Victoria did demonstrate again that when she's good at a task, she crushes it by about 150%.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
This (S12 E4) may be the best one I have ever seen.
Haven't laughed as much in ages.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think if Greg and Alex got tired of being the main characters of Taskmaster, Victoria and David Mitchell should take their places respectively.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I want Morgana to win but I’ll be happy as long as Desiree doesn’t.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Victoria is a perfect Taskmaster contestant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
As someone who also can't ride a bike, I fully empathise with Victoria, but at the same time, like Greg, I hoped for more hopeless floundering. Loved the little special task element in the team task.