Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
marvelous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Just had a friend point out that the biggest event in the sabbat calendar, the palla grande, means a big ball, not a big ball.

blood ball: it's like blood doll, but all the blood is stored in the balls

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Arivia posted:

blood ball: it's like blood doll, but all the blood is stored in the balls

That sounds extremely uncomfortable.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Just had a friend point out that the biggest event in the sabbat calendar, the palla grande, means a big ball, not a big ball.

"Well I'm upper generation, high society
Caine's gift to ballroom notoriety..."

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Was watching a recent vampire thing and got thinking: where does the oWoD idea of "generation" come from? I mean I understand it logically as like, decent from Cain, but I can't think of it being used in like any other vampire fiction. Old vampires are almost always portrayed as frightening and powerful, and there is the whole "kill the head vampire and all the vampires he created die" thing, but that's about it. I don't think I've seen anything be like "Oh, your sire is a thousand years old? You're OP as gently caress then." Usually the new childe of a thousand year old vampire is just as dumb as any other neonate. Is it an Anne Rice thing? I never read her and only saw Interview once a while ago.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Digital Osmosis posted:

Was watching a recent vampire thing and got thinking: where does the oWoD idea of "generation" come from? I mean I understand it logically as like, decent from Cain, but I can't think of it being used in like any other vampire fiction. Old vampires are almost always portrayed as frightening and powerful, and there is the whole "kill the head vampire and all the vampires he created die" thing, but that's about it. I don't think I've seen anything be like "Oh, your sire is a thousand years old? You're OP as gently caress then." Usually the new childe of a thousand year old vampire is just as dumb as any other neonate. Is it an Anne Rice thing? I never read her and only saw Interview once a while ago.
I think it is genuinely novel to V:tM, and that previous works may have had a general idea of older vampire = more powerfuller (and Anne Rice had an important role for the original vampire in her works) but Generation as a sort of embodied form of inherited power seems pretty distinctive.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Yeah, I'm not sure if Vampire Blood Quantum was a thing before WW either. The closest was 'your sire is ancient, and therefore can teach you many things' in a few novels as far as I know.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I think there's a pretty obvious line of descent—heh—from Rice's Queen of the Damned (1988) and the concept of Generation. The curse is strong and unbearable in the OG vampires, literally they can't stop just killing people they're so hungry, until they figure out that turning other people disperses and dilutes the curse. They also possess such potent blood that it empowers and enthralls those who drink from them. Lestat spends most of the novel getting wrecked on Ancient Egyptian Queen blood. The Queen is pretty uniquely potent in the story, but there's still a fairly clear indication that the oldest vampires as a group are more physically and mystically powerful than their descendants.

So on top of Generation, we've also got blood bond, and Middle Eastern-ish origins for vampires here. Not that they're exactly the same, Masquerade didn't just lift stuff directly and unedited from Rice, but it's hard to believe it wasn't close to an A->B relationship of inspiration.

There's even a parallel to diablerie, as the Queen who is the Ultimate Original Vampire obviously is too evil to not kill, but killing her would also kill all vampires. The two women she abused back in Ye Olde Nile days who cursed her in the first place and were some of the first set of turned vampires, solve this by drinking all her blood and becoming the new head vampires. I can't remember if they sort of share it, or if it's just one of them that gets it.

Hell, the "I'm so ancient and powerful my skin is literally like marble" Fortitude Discipline is right there in the book too.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Oct 7, 2021

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

It's kind of interesting then that it's relatively unique to a role playing game, considering RPGs are often very much about The Numbers Going Up and your characters eventually getting swole enough to punch God in the face. Maybe it's a response to that-- a worry that playing V:TM that way is Badwrongfun and that having a rule like "no amount of XP will make you able to kill a methuselah" will stop that before it happens.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
OWoD was extremely all about making sure you knew that there's exactly one right way to play the game and playing any other way was wrong and shameful. I've been reading some of the old books and the number of sidebars filled with petulant whining and passive-aggressive insults over wanting things like game stats for NPCs is astounding.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Digital Osmosis posted:

It's kind of interesting then that it's relatively unique to a role playing game, considering RPGs are often very much about The Numbers Going Up and your characters eventually getting swole enough to punch God in the face. Maybe it's a response to that-- a worry that playing V:TM that way is Badwrongfun and that having a rule like "no amount of XP will make you able to kill a methuselah" will stop that before it happens.

Probably also part of the punk aspect that faded away when Vampire became more a game of intrigue within the Camarilla than anarch neonates versus the Camarilla establishment. If old vampires are the machine to rage against, they have to be oppressive. If you're to rage against that machine, then they also have to wield enough power that you can't just brush them off as irrelevant grouches.

I tend to think they overshot the mark.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

OWoD was extremely all about making sure you knew that there's exactly one right way to play the game and playing any other way was wrong and shameful. I've been reading some of the old books and the number of sidebars filled with petulant whining and passive-aggressive insults over wanting things like game stats for NPCs is astounding.

Yes, how dare you want to spend anything less than 20 hours writing up NPCs and specific setting information. What are you, a normie? :v

The most useful thing a game can do is provide a bunch of basic stat blocks so that you can just pick the one you need to throw at your players when they do something crazy. I’m not even talking monster manual. Just entirely generic sets of blocks with basic descriptions to make it easy to just improvise without accidentally killing someone for dumb imbalance reasons.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jhet posted:

Yes, how dare you want to spend anything less than 20 hours writing up NPCs and specific setting information. What are you, a normie? :v

The most useful thing a game can do is provide a bunch of basic stat blocks so that you can just pick the one you need to throw at your players when they do something crazy. I’m not even talking monster manual. Just entirely generic sets of blocks with basic descriptions to make it easy to just improvise without accidentally killing someone for dumb imbalance reasons.

I'll never forget how absolutely mindblowing it was to read the advice on antagonist design in VtR's Chronicler's Guide and just having it say "use similar numbers to your PCs, add a few for the stuff they're especially good at to challenge the players." I'd pretty much only read 3e D&D before that, realizing there were ways to create challenge that weren't following pre-existing class/level/challenge charts was looking into a whole new world.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yawgmoth posted:

Although of course the favorite is still Aberrant and the sputtering outrage of "You want to play THE AVENGERS?"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Although of course the favorite is still Aberrant and the sputtering outrage of "You want to play THE AVENGERS?"
And then had a couple of groups that were basically that. But no yo ucan't play them. Shut up.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Writing this remains one of my favourite moments of open development: http://theonyxpath.com/the-end-of-screw-you-hippie-game-design/

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arivia posted:

I'll never forget how absolutely mindblowing it was to read the advice on antagonist design in VtR's Chronicler's Guide and just having it say "use similar numbers to your PCs, add a few for the stuff they're especially good at to challenge the players." I'd pretty much only read 3e D&D before that, realizing there were ways to create challenge that weren't following pre-existing class/level/challenge charts was looking into a whole new world.

Yeah, it's really an experience that opens up so many more options for the game you're running. I understand why monster manuals exist, and they can be really useful. Unless you use them to say that only those exact things exist in the world, and then it's limiting in the other extreme. A good game should give you all the tools you need to play and run a game and that includes ways to make good antagonists to balance the game to challenge the players. Not give you all the precise rules for every situation necessarily*. Not give you limits on your story, or limits on a player's experience. If you want that, there are hundreds of great video games out there to play. And yeah, no more screw you hippie game design please. That stuff was always terrible. And for a game all about the counter-culture punk and raging against the machine, original WoD was very controlling in how you were allowed to do that. I was really happy when the nWoD stuff started coming out and it opened up so many options.

Saying that, my group is playing a game from the late 80s/early 90s right now and there's none of that "play this way, or lolsnope" game design in it. It's still very cumbersome in a lot of ways, but it's 30 years old and still plays really pretty well.

*I don't count wargames as part of this. Those went a different evolution and that's fine, but they're not role playing games in the same way.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

So the sabbat book is legit introducing paths of enlightenment?

*edit*

Game update: the chronicle is slowly grinding to a close, the Syndicate is busy taking over LA, the anarch movrment is collapsing into petty infighting, the cotorie is starting to fall apart after decades of working together...

And my malkavian has repurposed a defunct Weinermobile to serve as his pirate radio station as he works towards letting his "main" personality/conciousness slip into the Cobweb along with the elder that's been mentally femdomming him since the 50s, letting the pirate radio personality free to Wolfman Jack his way around the WoD.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 8, 2021

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Unsure whether to post this here or in the GM advice thread, but it's a WoD question he here goes.

Over the coming christmas period I'm planning to run a few sessions of WoD games, probably Mage and Vampire, to give my players a chance to see some systems other than D&D. The players have expressed interest in these so they seem like good bets. I've never actually ran games in the settings before and I'm a little worried about running vampire.

Rather than beating about the bush, I'll just ask: how do you handle the need to feed on humans without basically making it sound like the players are doing metaphorical sexual assaults every night?

One of my players is a sexual assault survivor, and I'd like to have an idea of how to allay concerns they might have when I talk to them about it, as well as allay some of my own concerns about hurting them inadvertently. I really love the setting and I've always wanted to run it, but when I sit down and think about the reality of running a game I'm deeply concerned about sounding like a creep if I have to narrate the feeding process. Do you just elide over it and say something like "you spend some time among the kine, and drink your fill", or is there a way to handle and narrate it that doesn't sound like it has deep Unfortunate Implications?

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Honestly if you think someone might be uncomfortable you can just skip it. I used to do feeding scenes only if players are in some kind of emergency and imho outside that "you spend some time among the kine, and drink your fill" seems fine.
It also depends on what your players want to do. Some themes like "descent into monsterhood" or "keeping ties with your mortal life" kinda want you to at least put some focus on feeding, as it is important to the mood of the whole thing. If your team wants to do "cloak and dagger/investigation" or "play politics while looking fancy" it can be ignored.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Feeding scenes are something you should do a few times just to set tone. It's a good way to establish how characters tick and what their norm is but once you get that down it should be glossed over there after so long as things are normal. When there's a chance something could go wrong, then you pay attention to it again especially if you can make it dovetail with some other plot point you want to hit.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

This is all good advice, I just want to tag onto this and say to talk to your player! Ask them about how much detail they want to go into, what they feel comfortable with, and what the things you're worried might trigger them are, and work with them to come up with what feeding scenes should look like from there.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

If you're a Nosferatu without the right disciplines the way you feed matters a lot. Ditto if you're a Giovanni or one of the other bloodlines/clans with unusual restrictions. If you're a Toreador, assuming you're willing to slum it, the way you feed is walking into a bar and walking out again with a mortal wrapped around your finger.

It is ultimately a violation though, there's no equality so there's no consent. If it's hard for the players to separate themselves from the undead monster they're playing Mage might be a better game.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeah, the effects of having to violate innocent people regularly or die is a big part of Vampires whole deal. I try and do a feeding scene for each player in the first session or two just to set the tone, and then down play them for the most part afterwards.

A PC struggling against violating others as just the most expedient way to feed is some Vampires 101 stuff.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Basically, feeding is a metaphor for kind of abusive or coercive relationship. The thing is though there are an almost unlimited number of ways humans can be lovely to each other, so you can try and find a metaphor that isn't so painful for your player. If you have a friend who had religion used to justify some kind of abuse, having a character who runs a cult where they convince mortals they are a blood god is probably not a great idea (unless, of course, they wanted to explore that intentionally.) If you had a friend who had to sell plasma to pay rent, having a character who's rich and bribes blood banks for bags of blood might not be a great idea. But maybe if you have those two at the table they'd be okay with switching it up, and if not there's still a thousand other ways you can explore the lovely parasitic relationships vampires have with humans. Basically talk to your players, tell them they shouldn't be comfortable with feeding scenes but that you have no intention of provoking their trauma either, and work with them to find a way that they're ick-ed out by but not re-traumatized by.

I think V5 has something called "feeding styles" which might offer some examples. I personally really enjoyed the feeding scenes in "VtM: Night Roads," a text-game that offered a lot of examples for a lot of different ways to feed in a number of sometimes rather extreme situations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Digital Osmosis posted:

I think V5 has something called "feeding styles" which might offer some examples. I personally really enjoyed the feeding scenes in "VtM: Night Roads," a text-game that offered a lot of examples for a lot of different ways to feed in a number of sometimes rather extreme situations.

They do. One is called 'Consensualist' who only feed if given permission to do so (which I think is not unlike the Salubri's old weakness) but while it might take a load off one's conscience you're also violating the Masquerade like every time you do it, so there's room to play around if you like.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

They do. One is called 'Consensualist' who only feed if given permission to do so (which I think is not unlike the Salubri's old weakness) but while it might take a load off one's conscience you're also violating the Masquerade like every time you do it, so there's room to play around if you like.

In 20XX it's probably far easier to just tell people it's just something you're really into rather than telling them vampires are real.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
To echo others, feeding can as easily be a back-alley mugging or a landlord coming around to collect rent as it could be some other exploitative exchange. Vampire is a big game and contains multitudes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

With Obfuscate, you can just slip in and put the bite on while they're asleep, although this is its own flavor of traumatizing.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Nessus posted:

With Obfuscate, you can just slip in and put the bite on while they're asleep, although this is its own flavor of traumatizing.
Havana Syndrome real

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Thanks all for your advice. :) This is definitely something I'm intending to talk to the player about first before we do anything and it's perfectly plausible they'll have absolutely no concerns at all (or equally, something they don't want to even consider, meaning I drop Vampire as an option), but I wanted to have some views from experience first so that I have some suggestions of how to approach it if we need to handle it carefully. I'll be taking direction on this from that player, I just didn't want to put all the onus on them to come up with a workable solution.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Defenestrategy posted:

In 20XX it's probably far easier to just tell people it's just something you're really into rather than telling them vampires are real.

The instant you start draining blood and it's better than any drug or sex they've ever had they're probably going to realize you weren't lying.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Defenestrategy posted:

They have that one, too! It's called like Scene Queen/King I think, where you have your cute little nascent blood cult. Fun!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

The instant you start draining blood and it's better than any drug or sex they've ever had they're probably going to realize you weren't lying.

Surprise they're just really into it too and soon Cosmo is running an ad for top ten ways your man loves to get bit on wrist.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/TheOnyxPath/status/1446645637987160068

There's a Venn diagram I didn't think I'd find myself in the center of, but sure, why not.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Every game I've been in that has lasted more than three sessions has had a humor style very akin to MST3K so this is less surprising to me.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Time for some brand synergy!!

Vampire scenario based off of Samson vs. The Vampire Women

Changeling: the Lost scenario based off of Manos: the Hands of Fate

Mage scenario based off of Merlin’s Shop of Mystical Wonders

Werewolf scenario based off of… wirrwilf wharwulf wuurwelf Werewolf.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
The many shadow names of David Ryder

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

You definitely have the makings of a goofball Hunter campaign in The Final Sacrifice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021
"This episode of MST3K brought to you by 'It Came From Beneath The Sea.' Play out your own Atlantic Rim or Devilfish adventure with fine Onyx Path products!"