Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

STOP GIVING LEGAL ADVICE

What everyone else in this thread forgot and thus failed the exam for is that the guy's actual question was 'how do I sever myself from this situation from as quickly as possible'.

Fake death, leave country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Don’t delete the texts.

I am a lawyer.

This is legal advice.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
As your attorney I advise you to take a hit from the little brown bottle in my shaving kit

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I've kinda got you caught in a catch 22 now, which is my favorite nj based ska band (pre 2000 only).
I don't have anything interesting to say about the texts, but I will argue that for being an acoustic soft rock album of ska songs, Streetlight Lullabies is surprisingly good

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phil Moscowitz posted:

As your attorney I advise you to take a hit from the little brown bottle in my shaving kit

This is good advice.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Phil Moscowitz posted:

https://southpark.cc.com/video-clips/5d8mkw/south-park-bag-of-vision

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
So I live in PA now, near Philly, and it appears that everyone ignores the speed limits on some of these pikes to the tune of 20+mph over. This is awesome, and I love it. I am a bit worried about tickets, but I have yet to see a cop pull anyone over..

I remember seeing in this thread that you can grab a lawyer on retainer to handle that poo poo for you if they do, however.

I'm not going to say I pretend to know what retainer means, but I had some questions.

1. Is this a real thing? I can just pre-pay a lawyer some money to get me out of speeding ticket trouble?

2. What is the scope of the help? This is what I think I've got a mostly cartoonish understanding of, the idea that having this imaginary lawyer is a get out of jail free card. I'm assuming I can't just drive however I want and see no consequences- I don't have "gently caress cops" kind of money.

3. Assuming this is a real thing, what kind of lawyer should I look for and how much would I expect to pay? Can someone explain in stupid person terms how the process would work?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The true traditional meaning of retainer was that you would pay a law firm to remain available for you to use . In other words they would not take other clients that may conflict with you. You would still have to pay them for the work they do

Another more modern sense of retainer is just a deposit for work to be done in the future. Lawyers usually want this to make sure they get paid

Speeding tickets in Pa are not something you normally “fight”. The state troopers will win. They aren’t that expensive either if you are nice to them and admit that you were speeding . Don’t go above 80 in a 65

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

80 in a 65 (Statie 80) is generally considered the line when the state troopers begin to care about how fast you are going

And then over 70 in a 55

Watch out for construction zones

Some parts of highways out west are 70 mph limits and it’s like the autobahn

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The pa legislature may give local cops radar soon tho and then we are all hosed . Might as well stop driving if that happens

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
IIRC, the number one way police can actually improve safety in a community is by enforcing traffic laws universally instead of just selectively enforcing against minorities as a pretext for a search.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Nice! posted:

IIRC, the number one way police can actually improve safety in a community is by enforcing traffic laws universally instead of just selectively enforcing against minorities as a pretext for a search.

(This never happens)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

(This never happens)

Actually funny enough when I lived in Newtown, PA the cops there never cared about speeding. Also in Bucks County apparently the yellow line is a suggestion vs a hard rule. lol

Now the one thing they were big on was DUI and sobriety checkpoints. Any issues with that notwithstanding, I always thought that was a far better use of resources then ticky tacky speeding stuff.

I’d say even 75 can get the state troopers attention, but that was before the turnpike speed increases. I was so annoyed I drove the speed limit on the trip back and forth and boy was I popular. Of course one dude who honked at me and went around me got pulled over down the road shortly after. lol

My general rule is avoid anything crazy and keep pace with traffic, and never be the fastest person fwiw.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 8, 2021

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Thanks for the tips, everybody. I've been keeping pace with traffic and then look down to see um doing 65 in a 45 on the Pottstown pike, so wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get pulled over all the time and hit with multiple hundreds of dollars in fines.

Does having a punisher american flag sticker help lower my chances of a ticket?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Actually funny enough when I lived in Newtown, PA the cops there never cared about speeding.

Local police can’t use radar in pa

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

euphronius posted:

Let’s just say it was pretty obvious that it wasn’t a priority. The entire time living there I don’t think I saw single person ever pulled over for speeding.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think you are understanding me. It’s not a priority because they can’t do it (unless they are following you).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Actually funny enough when I lived in Newtown, PA the cops there never cared about speeding. Also in Bucks County apparently the yellow line is a suggestion vs a hard rule. lol

Yeah to be fair I don't actually have much observation on speeding by itself.

The three charges I do see systematically enforced against poor people, but not against anyone else, are

1) Simple possession of marijuana ("I smelled weed! so I can search all your poo poo and arrest you and tow the car you've been living in")

2) "unlawful carry of a firearm" ("it's illegal to have a gun in your car if it isn't in the glovebox unless you're a licensed fee paying concealed weapons permit holder. You aren't, so we're confiscating your gun. Getting guns off the streets")

3) "failure to stop on police command," a local city ordinance that is almost certainly unconstitutional and only ever enforced against black or poor people. (not a traffic ordinance, just a pedestrian ordinance).

In each case, any given cop might let any one of those charges slide vs. any given potential arrestee, but collectively, they're only ever enforced against the poor/brown.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah to be fair I don't actually have much observation on speeding by itself.

The three charges I do see systematically enforced against poor people, but not against anyone else, are

1) Simple possession of marijuana ("I smelled weed! so I can search all your poo poo and arrest you and tow the car you've been living in")

2) "unlawful carry of a firearm" ("it's illegal to have a gun in your car if it isn't in the glovebox unless you're a licensed fee paying concealed weapons permit holder. You aren't, so we're confiscating your gun. Getting guns off the streets")

3) "failure to stop on police command," a local city ordinance that is almost certainly unconstitutional and only ever enforced against black or poor people. (not a traffic ordinance, just a pedestrian ordinance).

In each case, any given cop might let any one of those charges slide vs. any given potential arrestee, but collectively, they're only ever enforced against the poor/brown.

Many of my criminal clients in Florida started from pretextual stops. One guy got pulled over because 1 of 2 taglights was out on the car. It was dusk at the time. The sun had barely set and it was still light out. I was able to get the pot possession charge dismissed because that's not a valid reason for a traffic stop.

The number one reason people get pulled over around here is driving while black. And then every black person smells like weed to cops, so they get searched. They rarely get cited. The people who actually get cited are usually car crashes or extremely excessive speed.

I found more on what I was talking about earlier. More traffic enforcement leads to less automobile crashes. More traffic enforcement, though, is also disproportionately targeted at minorities. Some groups have proposed that routine traffic enforcement be removed from police entirely and be handed off to a different unarmed agency as a method to fix both issues. Red light cameras and average speed cameras do not have the same decrease in accidents as active traffic enforcement, though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mr. Nice! posted:

Many of my criminal clients in Florida started from pretextual stops. One guy got pulled over because 1 of 2 taglights was out on the car. It was dusk at the time. The sun had barely set and it was still light out. I was able to get the pot possession charge dismissed because that's not a valid reason for a traffic stop.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of pretextual stops too, often where cops are clearly lying on their own bodycam ("we pulled you over because your rear lights weren't working" *rear lights of the car are clearly illuminated in the officer's bodycam footage as he is speaking*), but generally those were drug-informant stops where the real tipoff it was pretextual was the five separate cop cars all rolling up on some poor dude within five seconds of each other and immediately going "the reason we stopped you was [obvious lies], can we search your vehicle?"

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
As bodycam use becomes more and more prevalent, is it coming up in cases more often? It is a technology that I feel has been sorely needed for a very long time - it's a form of accountability that is the real-world equivalent of CovenantEyes for cops. For instance, when the footage of the Laundrie/Petito traffic stop came out, I spent the first few minutes just ogling the fact that there was a permanent record of the interaction for review, instead of merely an officer's recollections combined with another officer's recollections.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Bodycam footage doesn't stop cops from lying even when faced with video that contradicts their testimony. See, e.g. the Jaleel Stallings situation.

This is exactly my point. But then the I-am-not-a-defense-lawyer part of me says that an officer's dishonesty even in the face of contradictory evidence can cast doubt on their whole testimony in the eyes of a jury (or a judge at an evidence hearing).

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 8, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

D34THROW posted:

As bodycam use becomes more and more prevalent, is it coming up in cases more often? It is a technology that I feel has been sorely needed for a very long time - it's a form of accountability that is the real-world equivalent of CovenantEyes for cops. For instance, when the footage of the Laundrie/Petito traffic stop came out, I spent the first few minutes just ogling the fact that there was a permanent record of the interaction for review, instead of merely an officer's recollections combined with another officer's recollections.

Bodycam footage doesn't stop cops from lying even when faced with video that contradicts their testimony. See, e.g. the Jaleel Stallings situation.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I have been summoned

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

blarzgh posted:

I have been summoned

There's a great joke about you being a crossroads demon here, but I'm too lazy to find it. In other news, the Lawyer in My Life (LML) just won their first very important case. They've had a rough year--apparently it's been "raining bodies"--so I thought something to mark the occasion might be nice. It seems like a nice bottle of scotch occasion, but they don't drink, so I need alternative ideas. How do you show a lawyer you love them?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Brennanite posted:

There's a great joke about you being a crossroads demon here, but I'm too lazy to find it. In other news, the Lawyer in My Life (LML) just won their first very important case. They've had a rough year--apparently it's been "raining bodies"--so I thought something to mark the occasion might be nice. It seems like a nice bottle of scotch occasion, but they don't drink, so I need alternative ideas. How do you show a lawyer you love them?

So you and Vinnie are finally getting married?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Alchenar posted:

What everyone else in this thread forgot and thus failed the exam for is that the guy's actual question was 'how do I sever myself from this situation from as quickly as possible'.

Fake death, leave country.

Ah, the YOSPOS-approved nuclear option: fake your death and move to Belize.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Brennanite posted:

If alcohol and weed are’t options, buy them metroid dread.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Brennanite posted:

How do you show a lawyer you love them?

Pay your bill

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

If alcohol and weed are’t options, buy them metroid dread.

Honestly this. It's really fun!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you jump higher in the new Metroid?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

How do you jump higher in the new Metroid?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

Pay your bill

I think this lawyer is actually loving them pro boner

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

I thought you could only sleep woth clients on sprcial occasions, like when they're really really cute

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Foxfire_ posted:

I don't have anything interesting to say about the texts, but I will argue that for being an acoustic soft rock album of ska songs, Streetlight Lullabies is surprisingly good

i really like streetlight manifesto, is this related?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

euphronius posted:

don't trust this man, he can't figure out how to double jump

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

Wouldn't that make it payment in kind instead?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Austen Tassletine posted:

Wouldn't that make it payment in kind instead?

Depends on how you do it, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

i really like streetlight manifesto, is this related?
It's not a very good joke, but :thejoke:. (It's an album of the lead streetlight manifesto guy doing non-ska covers of catch-22/streetlight songs)