Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

deep dish peat moss posted:

Always address collectives of people as "y'all"

My remote team is in Arkansas and this is not only acceptable but 100 % preferred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I had a manager who bragged about refusing to recycle trash. He proudly stated that having to take out more than one bin/bag was too much for his baby bitch rear end. He was such a lazy rear end that he was proud of the fact that he couldn't muster up the strength to carry more than one thing to the trash and thought that was a point of strength for his loving bitch rear end.

Boohoo, you gently caress. e: he framed this mentality as him being overly "manly". I got so loving sick of this rear end in a top hat talking about his failures in life as if he was "manly" for it.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 8, 2021

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

kntfkr posted:

My remote team is in Arkansas and this is not only acceptable but 100 % preferred.

Y'all're not gonna believe this.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Lazyfire posted:

So does having a pretty cool job make things easier when you get dumb questions? I make a weird variety of fermented items and always say if my wife gets a job where I can't work remote that I'll start doing mead/pickles/kimchi professionally. I would rather answer a billion questions about my mustard recipe than anything about my current job. At that point you are talking semi-hobby in my mind, rather than work stuff.

I don't mind answering questions. I'd just rather not get them while I'm running around trying to get things done at the right time the process, or worse, in the middle of trying to fix a major issue.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Batterypowered7 posted:

Sometimes they say " 'ppreciate you!" instead of "thank you", and it freaks me out.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

kntfkr posted:

Sometimes they say " 'ppreciate you!" instead of "thank you", and it freaks me out.

Have a blessed day.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Have a blessed day.

An obstetrician I used to do transcription for would always end her dictations with this and it was really nice to hear someone acknowledge that there was a human typing it

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pyrtanis posted:

An obstetrician I used to do transcription for would always end her dictations with this and it was really nice to hear someone acknowledge that there was a human typing it

I used to do a lot of phone work and it was creepy how in a lot of the country it is just assumed everyone is Christian and they have their own weird little catchphrases. Every time I heard it I would picture Brian Blessed bellowing and it made it a little more tolerable.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Catastrophe posted:

I had a manager who bragged about refusing to recycle trash. He proudly stated that having to take out more than one bin/bag was too much for his baby bitch rear end. He was such a lazy rear end that he was proud of the fact that he couldn't muster up the strength to carry more than one thing to the trash and thought that was a point of strength for his loving bitch rear end.

Boohoo, you gently caress. e: he framed this mentality as him being overly "manly". I got so loving sick of this rear end in a top hat talking about his failures in life as if he was "manly" for it.

I genuinely appreciate how bent out of shape you are about this beta male who convinced himself he was an alpha.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
My current boss tells me I shouldn't take the political climate too seriously and that I need to realize that "neither side is trying to help you".

But he also listens to Alex Jones and considers him a reasonable source of information.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
One time I mistyped "best regards" as "best retards" and no one noticed.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Jelly posted:

My current boss tells me I shouldn't take the political climate too seriously and that I need to realize that "neither side is trying to help you".

But he also listens to Alex Jones and considers him a reasonable source of information.

You're never going to become a swole alpha dog if you don't buy his supplements.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
STOP MESSAGING ME IN TEAMS TO SAY YOU SENT ME AN EMAIL.

I KNOW.

I GOT THE NOTIFICATION.

I READ THE EMAIL.

SHUT UP.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Escape From Noise posted:

You're never going to become a swole alpha dog if you don't buy his supplements.

Are those photos just taken like ten minutes apart with different lighting?

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Batterypowered7 posted:

When I start saying stuff like this my old boss would be like "Wow you just got really Southern".

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He probably ran around the Infowars building once and/or ate a big ol' bowl of chili in between.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Local Weather posted:

When I start saying stuff like this my old boss would be like "Wow you just got really Southern".

Obviously once people become comfortable with "y'all", it can start to be used in the singular.
Then, in order to emphasise plural usage, one can resort to "all y'all".
This raises the eventual spectre of "all all y'all", etc.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Work sent out a new training program, quite nicely done, mostly clear, then in the assessment you have to say you'll do something expressly forbidden by that same training in order to pass. Skills!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I KNOW.

I GOT THE NOTIFICATION.

I READ THE EMAIL.

SHUT UP.

I just can't get over how teams constantly has popups come up right over messages I'm typing to other people. And if I click X to remove them another one just pops up in its place! Gaaaaah (my fault for maximising it but it's such a busy program I need the whole screen to see whatever bullshit it is trying to show me so I don't miss any single thing and cause the entire global business to collapse)

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It says 45 days later right in the image. You think Alex Jones would make stuff up for profit?

Escape From Noise posted:

I don't mind answering questions. I'd just rather not get them while I'm running around trying to get things done at the right time the process, or worse, in the middle of trying to fix a major issue.

I'll never not be amazed at how little awareness people have around stuff like this. I think part of it comes from most people not having jobs where timing is incredibly important and so they have expectations around being able to just ask anyone a question when it comes to mind.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Atopian posted:

Obviously once people become comfortable with "y'all", it can start to be used in the singular.

The lawyer at my old job is a Dutch guy and he was thrilled to learn of "all y'all". When I said "gently caress all y'all" he was like "wow yeah, that's great I'll have to remember that." He would try to find places to work it into conversations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Atopian posted:

"Please stop hitting Reply Y'all."

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Despite being Puerto Rican and growing up/living in the Least Southern part of the South (Orlando), I still have managed to pick up y'all, ain't, and the faintest twang of a southern accent on certain words and phrases.

This haunts me.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I KNOW.

I GOT THE NOTIFICATION.

I READ THE EMAIL.

SHUT UP.

Hi

*Sapozhnik is typing*

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
http://nohello.org/

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
One of the funny things about my job is that they hire all these crusty old Navy dudes to perform the logistical side of things because they're really the only people with the level of experience with the supply system to do the job correctly and then they hire middling-talent engineers fresh out of college to do the technical stuff. The culture clash is hilarious and we get constant emails from the big bosses about cussing and coarse language because the engineers are shell shocked coming straight out of college into that environment.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

nvidiagouge posted:

crusty old Navy dudes

I used to work at a place that preferentially hired ex-Navy nukes, almost exclusively sub guys. IDK how to say it, but they are all the same kind of strange.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
You would think that, just by the law of averages, at some point during the day I would take a call from someone who isn't one of the dumbest motherfuckers on the face of the earth, but statistically that should have happened by now.
"So you're calling from Canada? Okay, here's the info for our branch in Ontario--" <proceeds to get talked over endlessly by customer who still wants to buy from the US a thing we only offer in Japan>
"Your order isn't delayed, it's a made-to-order item we quoted with a 12-week manufacturing time. ... No, we don't have it on the shelf. ... No, we don't have it in a different location either. "
"You know the name of the company you just called, right? Our email address is spelled the same way."
:negative:

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

TotalLossBrain posted:

I used to work at a place that preferentially hired ex-Navy nukes, almost exclusively sub guys. IDK how to say it, but they are all the same kind of strange.

The nuke guys are all super weird and even other Navy dudes kind of shun them. My buddy was on a sub and it sounds awful. Whenever you're working someone else is sleeping in your bed and you go under the surface for sometimes weeks at a time. You really have to be able to tolerate the people you're around and bad hygiene can end in conflict and violence if it goes unfixed.

A funny sub story from my buddy:

He was on a crew that was majority black guys and they got a new white guy crew member. Dude wore corn rows and threw around the N word a lot. A vote was taken and a beating was likely incoming. At the last second they got another transfer in who knew the guy and explained that he had been adopted by a black family as an infant and his speech and affectation was because of that. Crisis and beating averted, he became one of the gang and they still talk from time to time 20 years later.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I used to do a lot of phone work and it was creepy how in a lot of the country it is just assumed everyone is Christian and they have their own weird little catchphrases. Every time I heard it I would picture Brian Blessed bellowing and it made it a little more tolerable.

When the hospital went to front-end voice recognition that doctor was stuck in the habit and a looooot of her stuff had that "blessed day" at the end of notes, kinda lol

re: catchphrases I always just took such things to mean well-intentioned wishes for good fortune and left any cheezus crispy stuff outside my mental door :shrug:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

IME Navy/Marines (yeah I know they're separate or whatever) are mostly extremely weird. Even if I get along with them on some level.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

nvidiagouge posted:

The nuke guys are all super weird and even other Navy dudes kind of shun them. My buddy was on a sub and it sounds awful. Whenever you're working someone else is sleeping in your bed and you go under the surface for sometimes weeks at a time. You really have to be able to tolerate the people you're around and bad hygiene can end in conflict and violence if it goes unfixed.

He was on a crew that was majority black guys and they got a new white guy crew member. Dude wore corn rows and threw around the N word a lot. A vote was taken and a beating was likely incoming. At the last second they got another transfer in who knew the guy and explained that he had been adopted by a black family as an infant and his speech and affectation was because of that. Crisis and beating averted, he became one of the gang and they still talk from time to time 20 years later.

One of his superiors must have seen that coming and did nothing.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I KNOW.

I GOT THE NOTIFICATION.

I READ THE EMAIL.

SHUT UP.

I appreciate this if it's like actually important, but it always seems to be the opposite. Something misspelled in a drop down but everyone works, messaging me, calling me, etc. Everything ground to a half because of critical bug, send one cryptic email and then CC a bunch of super high ups when it isn't responded to within a few minutes.

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

TotalLossBrain posted:

There's really quite a bit of variance to the strange, but yeah we're all a special kind of hosed up.

nvidiagouge posted:

Pretty much true just missing some context. I've got my own stupid stories. Some funny. Some not so much. There's separation even on a boat between the nukes and non-nukes usually. Still pissed I had my proclivity for cursing effectively beaten out of me by a CHENG (chief engineering officer) in the name of professionalism.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Super Waffle posted:

Despite being Puerto Rican and growing up/living in the Least Southern part of the South (Orlando), I still have managed to pick up y'all, ain't, and the faintest twang of a southern accent on certain words and phrases.

This haunts me.

I picked up y'all in German class in high school. The teacher explained that it's the only second person plural pronoun that English has, so I started using it.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

TotalLossBrain posted:

That was the case in my previous job and if I ever felt bored or needed a pick me up I would just pop into the cube with a couple of the navy guys and listen to their weird stories. One of them was famous for showing up to work drunk (we started at 6AM, so it was an accomplishment) and telling the longest, most rambling stories imaginable and sometimes that was exactly what I needed.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Lazyfire posted:

That was the case in my previous job and if I ever felt bored or needed a pick me up I would just pop into the cube with a couple of the navy guys and listen to their weird stories. One of them was famous for showing up to work drunk (we started at 6AM, so it was an accomplishment) and telling the longest, most rambling stories imaginable and sometimes that was exactly what I needed.

The absolute best Navy nuke stories were first or even second hand Rickover tales :allears:

Though that limited the story telling to boomers, it was still worth it.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Marmaduke! posted:

Work sent out a new training program, quite nicely done, mostly clear, then in the assessment you have to say you'll do something expressly forbidden by that same training in order to pass. Skills!

Our IT phishing training emails make us click an unfamiliar link to go to a sketchy rear end third party website and register with our company email and make up a password. To our credit, apparently over ninety percent of us reported the IT phishing training email to IT as a phishing attempt. They had to tell each of us, individually, that no, the random rear end website was legit and we needed to do the training.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

nvidiagouge posted:

The Jerk 2

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I KNOW.

I GOT THE NOTIFICATION.

I READ THE EMAIL.

SHUT UP.

Did you get that thing I sent you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

mllaneza posted:

I picked up y'all in German class in high school. The teacher explained that it's the only second person plural pronoun that English has, so I started using it.

"Proper" language grognards' insistence that "you" is both singular and plural has probably caused more trouble in English communication than anything else. Which is disappointing, because "thou" was right there and we dumped it.