Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jhet posted:

Really doesn't help that there's not much logic to how things open past get to stage X, and on desktop there's not even anything that will tell you what opens what a lot of the time. Challenges are okay, but never getting to use half of your collected stats is a bummer. But mostly it feels like there's not really anything to do because so much of it unlocks slowly and doesn't really change much when it happens. It's the diminishing returns that really gets to me. Feels really constricting to have them on the major resources.

That and the lack of basic info on desktop is killing it for me. I get that it's an old UI, but it's just devoid of so much information that should have just been put in a pop up or info page.

E: It took me a couple weeks before I even found the Trophy page. Kind of terrible to bury it in a Stats page which doesn't have any useful stats.

Yeah I feel the same way about all of that. None of the systems that interact with each other really feel like they're making a big difference. With NGU each new feature made progression faster and added interesting new wrinkles just as I was starting to get bored and here it just feels like one very gradual ramp up without any real big jumps in numbers going up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

explosivo posted:

Yeah I feel the same way about all of that. None of the systems that interact with each other really feel like they're making a big difference. With NGU each new feature made progression faster and added interesting new wrinkles just as I was starting to get bored and here it just feels like one very gradual ramp up without any real big jumps in numbers going up.

Yep. I’ve been sitting in the same spot in adventure zones for a month too. I don’t need to open something new every day, but there’s no feeling of advancing. There’s a locked zone with a number goal, but the number doesn’t match any other number I can see, and nothing I do seems to make it go up? It reminds me a lot of Realm Grinder’s original gui in terms of useful information and feedback, but with a NGU homage design.

I really liked the concept, and the idea is good, but it missed on execution of player feedback. And no, mobile isn’t an option (no android) or desired.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Load the windows 11 pre-release and just play Android apps natively on your PC.

Upgrade to windows 11 it's out now and plays Android natively. You'll just need to get a copy of the APK file if Google Play isn't part of it, I haven't actually had much chance to mess with that feature yet. It also apparently isn't part of the OS yet it missed the launch window! This is what I get for posting assuming the feature set was accurate after only having 2 hours to play with 11 so far.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 7, 2021

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

nessin posted:

That looks more like you've got a default zoom level for your browser at something other than 100% instead of a resolution issue.

Naw it's at 100%

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pixaal posted:

Load the windows 11 pre-release and just play Android apps natively on your PC.

Upgrade to windows 11 it's out now and plays Android natively. You'll just need to get a copy of the APK file if Google Play isn't part of it, I haven't actually had much chance to mess with that feature yet. It also apparently isn't part of the OS yet it missed the launch window! This is what I get for posting assuming the feature set was accurate after only having 2 hours to play with 11 so far.

That’s good to know, but I’m not sure that solves the problem for WAMI. Then I’d just have an app designed for a screen much smaller than the one I’d be looking at. Mobile native always look bloated on desktop.

I’m starting to get to the point where RuneScape would be great, if it weren’t $10/ month for a subscription. Maybe I’ll just do their free tier anyway. I’ll have to look for the goon guild later.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Lilli posted:

I remember some folks enjoyed the original Cavernous when I posted it last night, so I figured I'd mention that Cavernous 2 came out, same general idea more mechanics.

https://nucaranlaeg.github.io/incremental/CavernousII/

this is fun. feels more like a zachtronics game than an idle game

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Lilli posted:

I remember some folks enjoyed the original Cavernous when I posted it last night, so I figured I'd mention that Cavernous 2 came out, same general idea more mechanics.

https://nucaranlaeg.github.io/incremental/CavernousII/

Venuz Patrol posted:

this is fun. feels more like a zachtronics game than an idle game
if someone had told me this was like Idle Loops but with a 2d map I'dve been more likely to click on it earlier

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Xand_Man posted:

I'm AtomicDog on Elethor

Ineptitude posted:

I'd like an invite to the Elethor guild

Ladejarlen is the character.

Both added.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
I have two new game links as well:

Resource grid, a minimalist production... game that's pretty new but has a prestige mechanic that automates more and more things and speeds it up it's a bit confusing at the start, and can be a bit click intensive until you get automation set up.
https://spotky1004.com/Resource-Grid/

Another one is called Moist Chameleon, a puzzle/card collecting game that seems like it's short-ish (on the order of hours)
https://www.moistchameleon.com/

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Residual Toast posted:

Resource grid, a minimalist production... game that's pretty new but has a prestige mechanic that automates more and more things and speeds it up it's a bit confusing at the start, and can be a bit click intensive until you get automation set up.
https://spotky1004.com/Resource-Grid/

This offensively low drop rate on tree seeds is killing me so far. :negative:

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

This offensively low drop rate on tree seeds is killing me so far. :negative:

I am stuck on apples right now, I really need an orchard but citizens are completely holding me back.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I'm doing fine with just the two seeds so far and I'm working on charcoal mining. I think the key is to just get distracted for 10 minutes a couple times.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Why aren't my planks automating???

e: nvm figured it out. lack of text while cute hurts a lot

neongrey fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 8, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Jhet posted:

I'm doing fine with just the two seeds so far and I'm working on charcoal mining. I think the key is to just get distracted for 10 minutes a couple times.

I still haven't seen a second tree seed and just started automating villagers. It's a bit of an rng hell specifically for those first few apples before you get an orchard.

Also general tip: Lava gets cheaper the more lava you have. And steam comes in bundles of 3 so really push for that charcoal mining

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jhet posted:

I just got my second seed after building my second city.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Game really slows down a lot when you have most stuff unlocked but the amount of resources I need to make a Steam Producer seem completely outrageous. 4k water feels like an impossible amount and that there's an upgrade I am missing. Liquid upgrade, which I assume is a 33% boost takes a million energy so that's not really going to help either.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
You're very slightly behind me and should be focusing Divine Powder and the Gemstone upgrades for it. Gemcutter is also A+

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I don't have access to any gemstone upgrades to Divine Powder, I do have a gem cutter and 2 powder. I assume that I need to get more of a specific thing to unlock that but not sure what it would be.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Does having multiple buildings speed up production? eg I could build a second metalwork factory, does that speed up iron production?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
(yes, they do, linearly it looks like)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cinara posted:

I don't have access to any gemstone upgrades to Divine Powder, I do have a gem cutter and 2 powder. I assume that I need to get more of a specific thing to unlock that but not sure what it would be.

Divine powder is prestige currency and you need 50+ to do anything with it. The energy cost of that gets obscene once you hit the 40s or so.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

neongrey posted:

Why aren't my planks automating???

e: nvm figured it out. lack of text while cute hurts a lot

Please explain what you did, I don't get it. :saddowns:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Please explain what you did, I don't get it. :saddowns:

Auto planks needs the saw, which needs copper and iron, which you get from the pickaxe and charcoal.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
One thing that's not obvious at first is that lava gets cheaper the more you have of it.

Also, prestige is pretty neat. You can empower boosts that let you increase efficiency by .5 for each one, and respec throughout the run with 10 minute cooldown on respec.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
How do you unlock automation for making charcoal? It's probably the biggest bottleneck I have right now, and it's annoying having to keep doing it manually

e; Ah, never mind I got it. I had everything I needed for it (though not necessarily the exact quantity (Iron)) but it just didn't show up until it suddenly did.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 8, 2021

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Cinara posted:

I am stuck on apples right now, I really need an orchard but citizens are completely holding me back.

Do the apples come from chopping down a tree? I had one apple after playing for an hour, feels real low for a supposed 5% drop rate.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Is there any way to speed up coal production? More pickaxes just seems to improve the drop chance of ores/sand.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Klungar posted:

Is there any way to speed up coal production? More pickaxes just seems to improve the drop chance of ores/sand.

More Charcoal Miners

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Toshimo posted:

More Charcoal Miners

Ok, must be past where I'm at.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

Do the apples come from chopping down a tree? I had one apple after playing for an hour, feels real low for a supposed 5% drop rate.

Tree has got to grow to chop it down, that's the major bottleneck. They grow at 0.05/s 1/0.05=20 5% means on average you need 20 trees 20x20=400/60 =6.66 minutes per apple.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Eventually you'll get a chance to build something to generate apples automatically instead of having to wait on random chance.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I never even knew you could just make lava by burning stones

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

pixaal posted:

Tree has got to grow to chop it down, that's the major bottleneck. They grow at 0.05/s 1/0.05=20 5% means on average you need 20 trees 20x20=400/60 =6.66 minutes per apple.

By the time I gave up on this game I had 100 spare logs, axe/pick/the third tool up to like level 5+, 2 or 3 houses, water pumping away vigorously, who knows how many charcoal, planks, loads of ore, a handful of unrefined emerald thingies, I forget which what else. Materials were basically coming in as fast as I could click them. 1 apple. 0 villagers.

Either the drop rate is bugged, I misunderstand the mechanics for apple generation (apple can drop when a tree is chopped down. right?? they're getting chopped as fast as they're growing because I have a poo poo load of axes lol), or I had some horrendously bad RNG.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Yes, you get apples from making logs, so I think you just got ridiculously unlucky. I had way, WAY more than I ever needed long before I got any orchards.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

By the time I gave up on this game I had 100 spare logs, axe/pick/the third tool up to like level 5+, 2 or 3 houses, water pumping away vigorously, who knows how many charcoal, planks, loads of ore, a handful of unrefined emerald thingies, I forget which what else. Materials were basically coming in as fast as I could click them. 1 apple. 0 villagers.

Either the drop rate is bugged, I misunderstand the mechanics for apple generation (apple can drop when a tree is chopped down. right?? they're getting chopped as fast as they're growing because I have a poo poo load of axes lol), or I had some horrendously bad RNG.

They take forever, Took me about 2.5 hours to get enough food for the food automation (1 apple per 3 seconds) I did waste a person on energy first I haven't had a real benefit that I can tell the upgraded pickaxe upgrade doesn't seem to change anything. (not pickaxe levels mind you they are actually important).

Basically automate smelting then just spam click charcoal a bunch then AFK was the path I went with. You could probably tighten it up a bit.

It is 6 minutes per apple, so 30 minutes per person on average until you unlock automating food then it is insanely fast. (this game has hilarious balancing issues)

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

The pickaxe upgrade is basically a multiplier on the pickaxe, it's very important, especially later when your main bottleneck is stone for lava and ores.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Eff. Multiplier scaling upgrades are incredibly good and vital.

Also tree seeds become meaningless once you start doing Loot. 50% chance each for a seed and once you get 10 or so seeds it'll quickly start ballooning naturally.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Also, get 2-3 charcoal miners ASAP. You'll hit a point very easily, without building bricks, where you're using coal faster than you're getting it with a single miner.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Safari Disco Lion posted:

The pickaxe upgrade is basically a multiplier on the pickaxe, it's very important, especially later when your main bottleneck is stone for lava and ores.

It doesn't change any of the numbers on the stone though. So it's an additional multiplier but not shown in the UI beyond when you hover over the pickaxe? It really should be shown calculated in the actual drop rate tooltip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

It's a pickaxe upgrade, therefore it's shown on the pickaxe, and the harvest time on the ores is updated too. What about that doesn't make sense?