Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
It takes a pretty spectacular effort to make sailing unfun in a game about vikings, but the raft pulls it off. That thing feels like trying to push a bathtub through a drainage ditch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

What setup does everybody like for mod managing?

e: the raft feels like a practical joke the devs play on you

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

What setup does everybody like for mod managing?

e: the raft feels like a practical joke the devs play on you

The smoothest I found was Thunderstore. You can browse and download mods in the app and editing the configs is made easy. The only problem I had was that it is missing some of the more popular mods, like Valheim Plus. I've started using Vortex, Nexus's manager, for that reason. You have to download the mods from the site, but the manager takes over the download and then installs the mod automatically. There are also separate steps for installing, enabling, and deploying mods and sometimes it will say it did them when it did not. Both managers automatically check for updates, but only Thunderstore can be configured to apply them automatically.

I'd prefer to use Thunderstore, but the comparatively small number of mods available on it make dealing with Vortex worthwhile. In any case, I usually run 60+ mods and haven't had a problem with either, so I don't think there's a wrong answer.

Jabarto posted:

It takes a pretty spectacular effort to make sailing unfun in a game about vikings, but the raft pulls it off. That thing feels like trying to push a bathtub through a drainage ditch.

Someone near the beginning of the thread said that it likely exists to make the karve look better in comparison. If so, that's literally all it does well.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 4, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

See that was what I looked at first, but MassFarming hadn't been updated yet, and it seemed like to get it to work I had to launch it from Thunderstore which is downright unacceptable.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Installing mods is nothing more than putting the mod's .dll file in the Valheim\BepinEx\plugins folder so I don't/wouldn't use any manager at all. MassFarming wasn't broken by H&H and works just fine for me.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The only downside to Thunderstore is that it really hates replacing the JSON config files. If you’re running a mod that has significant changes in an update you should delete the config (in the app) and run the game to let it regenerate the current one, then close out from the menu without going in game.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I use Valheim Plus and Epic Loot plus a bunch of other mods through r2modman. It can manage them for my dedicated server. Having multiple profiles makes it easy to only use them on one server and use other like autorepair on all servers.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

There was a patch this morning:

quote:

Further post-Hearth & Home-tweaks
This time we’ve made some more adjustments to make everything feel more balanced. Some food stats have been changed, but more importantly all melee weapons will now cost less stamina to use. We also taught the Fulings some new battle tactics and told night-spawning monsters to go to bed once the sun is up. And since fall is properly setting in, you can now make your home even cozier (or spookier) with a Jack-o-turnip!

* Oven & cookingstation drop food items when destroyed
* Gamepad sensitivity save fix
* Acorn & Birch seed drop rate increased
* Onion seed icon tweak
* Player number difficulty scale tweaks
* Removed comfort from Crystal wall
* Atgeir, Blackmetal axe, Bronze spear tweaks
* Lower melee weapon stamina drain
* Knives have more durability
* Tweaked some food stats based on effort to craft (blood pudding, boar jerky, bread, deer stew, mincemeat sauce, wolf jerky)
* Night-spawning monsters despawn faster in the morning
* Parry ranged attacks staggers caster again (illogical but fun)
* Fuling AI tweaks (Spreads out & circles more)
* Longer Lox attack cooldowns
* Frost damage slowdown fix
* Shield tutorial trigger fix for wood shields
* Wood log 26° & 45° stability fix
* Jack-o-turnip enabled
* Torch + weapon jog animation fix

The stamina changes to weapons are a huge relief. I feel able to fight again instead of going dry in seconds. Being able to parry archers again is funny. I'm surprised that got added back in.

I was poking around and found how to get back to 17 comfort or 18 with a maypole:
Darkwood Table - 2, Raven or Stone Throne - 3, Hot Tub currently fueled by wood - 2, Rugs - 1 per each type / 3 total, Dragon Bed - 3, any banner - 1, Hearth - 3

I don't have a 2nd silver necklace to craft a treasure chest to see if that adds any.

Lozareth fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 4, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'm so glad they added back in parrying ranged attacks. The note of "illogical but fun" is basically 100% how I felt about it.

E: chairs don't add comfort anymore?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I always just assumed that parrying a ranged attack meant I was stunning a monster with my brilliant timing.

Lower melee weapon stamina use sounds excellent though.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

E: chairs don't add comfort anymore?

They still add 1 comfort but no longer stack with the thrones. Same for tables vs. darkwood tables.

I did find another necklace and made a treasure chest - no comfort from it or it doesn't stack with the coins or something else.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I thought it was +2 for hot tub and nothing for coins - did they change that in today's patch?

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Vil posted:

I thought it was +2 for hot tub and nothing for coins - did they change that in today's patch?

You're right and it's only while the hot tub is burning wood. I didn't realize my wife added wood to the hot tub right as I placed the coins and gained 2 comfort.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So, speaking of big-rear end starting continents: I still haven't managed to circumnavigate this motherfucker.

Apart from that one river just south of our home base, it's one loving contiguous shoreline and I still don't know how far to the south/southwest or to the east it keeps going. This is easily the weirdest one of the maps I've played thus far.

Also, cool undocumented feature: You can toggle map markers on and off by right clicking on the icons on the right, where you select the marker type.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

nice death cluster

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

PittTheElder posted:

nice death cluster

Yeah, here's a closer look:

Nordick posted:

"Oh, I'm not really ready for the swamps yet, but I'll just quickly jump onto that tiny little swampy islet while sailing past it and cheekily grab some ancient bark, it'll be fine."

It was not fine.

I know we can remove death markers, but I left those ones be, as a monument to my hubris.

Eels
Jul 28, 2003

Shootenanny

Nordick posted:

So, speaking of big-rear end starting continents: I still haven't managed to circumnavigate this motherfucker.

Apart from that one river just south of our home base, it's one loving contiguous shoreline and I still don't know how far to the south/southwest or to the east it keeps going. This is easily the weirdest one of the maps I've played thus far.

Also, cool undocumented feature: You can toggle map markers on and off by right clicking on the icons on the right, where you select the marker type.

This looks cool, whats the seed?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Eels posted:

Oh, seed chat. Can anyone recommend a seed that places each elder far inland within their own biome? I'd like a SP playthrough where I have to make a grueling journey to each boss.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Eels posted:

I can't tell at the moment, it's on a dedicated server run by someone else, and they're not around for me to ask.

A downside to this map is that there's been kinda fuckall for crypts. We found a few to the southeast, but not enough to outfit everyone with iron gear yet.

On the other hand though: You see that big kinda boot shaped piece of fog-of-war, to the east across the bay from spawn? That's all mountain. We won't be wanting for silver, that's for drat sure.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Nordick posted:

Yeah, here's a closer look:

I know we can remove death markers, but I left those ones be, as a monument to my hubris.

Well I was mostly chuckling about the fact that the last one happened on Day 69 :v:

But yeah I love that it keeps all your death markers up now.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Being able to parry ranged enemies actually owns with this difficulty mod I'm using because holy poo poo elite skeleton archers hit like loving trains and usually can't be staggered out of their firing stance

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Nordick posted:

I can't tell at the moment, it's on a dedicated server run by someone else, and they're not around for me to ask.

If you use BepInEx or can otherwise check your own log files, the seed is usually within the first 5-10 lines after connecting.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Otacon posted:

If you use BepInEx or can otherwise check your own log files, the seed is usually within the first 5-10 lines after connecting.

It used to be, but Valheim no longer includes it in the logs.

I found my multiplayer server's seed through the combined use of google and cheat engine. The hardest part of that was finding a sufficiently recent copy of Cheat Engine that wasn't loaded with bloatware.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Vil posted:

It used to be, but Valheim no longer includes it in the logs.

Alright, so that's news to me! Weird they would remove it...

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
On the topic of breeding loxes, i have wreaked unparallel environmental devastation, but can now afk in the plains at night and collect goblin loot in the morning without fear

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

quote:

Removed comfort from Crystal wall

Why? That's dumb.

I was considering building a Viking office building out of crystals supported by iron wood.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Yea big starting continents seem to be a theme this patch. My starting continent has 2 Rivers across, 2 mountains out If which at least one is large enough to house multiple dragon eggs very likely, 3-4 instances of black forest and a swamp at the ebd that has a surtling geyser and at least 8 crypts.

… and literally raft-distance from the north end is the first plains island with fueling village visible from my starting shore.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

What I’d love to see more of is huge continents but with lots of bigger rivers, the kind you could get a karve or even a longboat through, crossing whatever biomes there are. The server I started a few days ago with a friend actually had a fairly large “lake” on our starting continent with a couple short rivers going out of one end but they only ended up at some small patches of black first before hitting open ocean.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Kibayasu posted:

What I’d love to see more of is huge continents but with lots of bigger rivers, the kind you could get a karve or even a longboat through, crossing whatever biomes there are. The server I started a few days ago with a friend actually had a fairly large “lake” on our starting continent with a couple short rivers going out of one end but they only ended up at some small patches of black first before hitting open ocean.

More navigable rivers would be awesome. I really enjoy slowly sailing through black forest on the few rivers I can't actually fit through.

My latest game is a mega continent with a large lake near spawn. It connects to the ocean but the connection was too shallow to sail through. Took some fiddling, but it's deep enough now!

Eels
Jul 28, 2003

Shootenanny
I picked this up on the recent sale and I've been having a blast. I've been solo the whole time and just vibing, building a big settlement and now getting ready to take down the last boss. I've done a few random sailing trips to the far reaches of the world and have compulsively mapped every possible POI. Now I'm mostly just wandering the globe looking for cool places to set up a new base for fun and in anticipation of future content drops. Top contenders are that large island with Yagluth (North/Northwest) that has every biome + resource except meadows, or possibly the North-east Moder spawn which appears to be on a massive continent that goes all the way up the deep north. I learned that one the hard way when trying to jibe to the north west and ended up on an awfully long detour.

Talking to some other people i also realize I lucked out with some great resource-rich territory close to home. Starting area is immediately next to mountains with at least 6-7 silver veins and 3 dragon eggs. The swamp just to the north west of the trader (a short boat ride from starting spawn) had so many crypts that I had to set up a series of relay camps to haul it all out and do two longboat hauls (one full, one half) to get it all back to my main base. The plains North-West of the swamp has dozens of tar pits and a huge number of fuling towns and lox, I've already hauled two boatloads of black metal out of there as well.

Link if you want hi-res:

https://i.imgur.com/fTR6yOm.jpg

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezILuTnZ1vs

H&H Base work in progress, I have yet to kill the Elder and have been spending way too much time clear cutting and replanting trees...

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
The Elder's buff really should have been the first one you get.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Uldor posted:

H&H Base work in progress, I have yet to kill the Elder and have been spending way too much time clear cutting and replanting trees...

Nice. I find it basically impossible to build actual corridors when I decide to make bigger things so I almost never get past the longhouse style.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Uldor posted:

Which mod allows you to plant blueberries?

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I picked up this game at launch, put dozens of hours into then parked it a few months ago. I decided to restart a new playthrough to see all of the Hearth and Home updates. So far I quite enjoy most of the changes, even to the food system.

I definitely caved and installed a few mods though. Crafting from chest, bulk planting/harvesting, and drop down menu portals. I feel like those ones add a lot of quality of life improvements without fundamentally changing up the game balance.

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!

Bioshuffle posted:

Which mod allows you to plant blueberries?

Plant Everything

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/1042

Useful for decorating with the small bushes and trees too

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Uldor posted:

Replanting Trees? gently caress that! This isn't my Valhalla. I was just sent here by Odin to kill poo poo.

I am completely addicted to making every wall a crystal wall.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

drewhead posted:

Replanting Trees? gently caress that! This isn't my Valhalla.

You're right, it isn't Valhalla at all :crossarms:

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I still haven't found a single tar pit. My experience so far has been wandering around the plains while picking off a deathsquitos and a gob or two until I stumble across a whole swarm of them, forcing me to run away in a different direction. Rinse and repeat. I heard the tar monsters are a pain in the butt. What's the best way to dispatch of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

arrows or tamed lox