Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

health issues exacerbated by bad pacing since they drew 200 more full-color comic pages than they needed to

absolutely baffling way to approach criticism imo. i really want to see johnny and forge interacting, but it would be absolutely wild to me to say "this page isn't important to the story, johnny and forge arguing is." please post your outline of the mission critical paranatural pages lmao

but yeah this is getting tedious so ill leave it at this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Varinn posted:

i think its actually as a direct consequence of pretty severe health issues

Pretty severe health issues which are in no way shape or form a new development which means...

Mr. Locke posted:

Vampires have taken over the narrative because they are the major driving force of the back half of chapter 5, all of chapter 6, and have skulked their way now into chapter 7. Chapter 5 got consistently derailed for us to get character beats for a kid we had very little reason to give a poo poo about pre-that chapter in Cody, who's pretty clearly tied to that whole mess too. Vampires have becomes a pretty central part of the last few years of the comic, regardless of how much or little an impact they'be e having on the overall narritive, which... Well...

The problem isn't the scope of the story, it's the ability to produce content to match it. The story just never stopped getting bigger as it moved forward. Zack barely resolved anything and just kept piling on new complications and details. They haven't been capable of keeping up with the size of the story they want to tell for a long time- arguably even before chapter 5- which is probably why the format change, although I'm still of the opinion that Zack would be best serve to find someone to share the burden with so they can better produce something remotely close to what they want, but I can understanding wanting to keep true to your vision and letting someone else in almost invariably means some of their vision leaks into yours.

That if you cannot produce content to match the scope of your story there is, by definition, a problem with the scope of your story.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If you're hurting yourself trying to draw a single fairly simple page a week I think that's beyond the point where any amount of story scope is manageable, let's be honest.

A year or three ago I'd have agreed that Zack's reach was exceeding their grasp but I think I have to concede they've just been dealt a bad hand through no fault of their own.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

girl dick energy posted:

I have a funny feeling that this argument repeated ad nauseum is all that's left for this thread. Ah, well. It was fun while it lasted.
yeah i'm getting a repetitive strain injury reading these posts

(poor taste shitpost aside i will probably keep on reading the story but mostly out of accumulated interest in the mysteries)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A good example of webcomic release-pacing vs full read pacing is Gunnerkrigg's The Stone, which at release had the Gunnerkrigg thread complaining ad nauseam about how slow it was and how we get it she's old after the first few, but in re-read is absolutely perfect and extremely well-regarded.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

New goon project. Zack cannot be trusted to create a webcomic on their own.

So we have to create a team of artists to draw and color it for them!

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
in chapter 7 alone, the plot-critical 20 pages of flashback to Young Spender and the Wight is already outweighed by the subsequent flashback to (slightly less young) Spender and Isabel at camp; pacing-wise the former is perceptibly less decompressed than the latter.

maybe the comic doesn't need an artist, but just a budget for the plot beats for each chapter

if that gives less opportunity for hilarious panels and the fun-to-draw character moments, well, them's the breaks. Worldbuilding all the zany cast of thousands still needs to motivate why the reader should care about the cast of thousands - all that effort poured in showing how craaaaaazy Suzie is - well she hasn't shown up again in literally years so the next effort poured into showing how craaaaaazy all these other characters are just feels like bait

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

This is some Scheherazade poo poo.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
You can have an overarching ominously hinted at DOOMPLOT, you can have sprawling whacky hijinks episodes with minimal plot advancement, and you can have a one/two times a week single page update schedule. It's all three that's an issue.

Since the last one is kind of non negotiable they need to be more economical with the hijinks or resolve/discard the doomplot(s)

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Oct 8, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Should've just done the FF7 Remake strategy of making a 45 hour comic and then going back and expanding it into 190 hours on the remake version delving into the school week and enhancing Max's sister into an actual character with a Bankai and-

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Jesus Christ the page that came out today ends with one of the characters starting a ghost story. So now this flashback is starting a sub story.

I'm loving done now. Removing my RSS subscription, and no longer following them on Twitter. They're really dedicated to no longer telling a story, no matter the format.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think you’ll find that they are interested in telling multiple, nested stories

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What if the real story was the stories we read along the way.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Truthfully I was OK with today's update, but maybe part of that is because I recently reread the last couple chapters so it's pretty easy to "translate" Zack's prose to potential comic panels in my head.

At least it seems like we're going to pick up a faster pace. Today's update would've taken like 5 weeks at the old rate of turnout.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

SKULL.GIF posted:

it's pretty easy to "translate" Zack's prose to potential comic panels in my head.

same. In my head this is all the blueprint for an anime, anyways

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

story within a story... inception*

*this is not what inception means

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

I had forgotten to check Paranatural for a while so I'm only just finding out about all this now.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Gotta be honest, I'm starting to get into this format. I thought I'd get bored of it real fast but there's updates and the story actually moving, and still a few drawings? I'm for it.

New update: https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-7-page-54

Alt text: fact: the vampire rule that requires them to be invited to enter houses also applies to campfires and discord servers

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lol at the "pocket of ambiguity" line, Zack knew exactly what they were doing there. I'm enjoying it, this would have taken approximately 5 months of comic updates at current pace to get through.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So the 'challenge' will be to venture into the woods with just the flashlights I'm guessing?

Is West Hill one of the two Mayview hills?

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I'm warming up to this new style more than I thought I would. The first page like didn't hook me too much due to it being mostly exposition, but it feels more like they've found their feet with these more recent pages. It help that the story is moving along at a much faster pace now

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

SKULL.GIF posted:

So the 'challenge' will be to venture into the woods with just the flashlights I'm guessing?

Is West Hill one of the two Mayview hills?

I guess not exactly, or not explicitly

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-7-page-55

Alt text: no one is safe from the old text-based time skip scene transition

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

so the biggest problem with the transition to the written medium is that zack's visual humor is excellent and their written humor is way too twee, never stops swinging, and is annihilating the mood of paige in particular who was cool and sinister and is now taking ghoul breaths and counting to 666

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

These friends are having a nice hike through the woods, I don't see how anything could go wrong :)

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-7-page-56

Alt text: feel like we could all use a creepy brain centipede these days

Kaliedoscope
Dec 8, 2013
https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-7-page-57

It feels like there's much less traffic here than there used to be, even though this just updated.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I feel bad saying it, but, I'm really just not interested in the story delivered this way.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I still have the thread bookmarked and this is clearly an improvement in update schedule, but... what drew me into Paranatural was the gorgeous depictions of the world and ingenious visual gags.

Kaliedoscope
Dec 8, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I still have the thread bookmarked and this is clearly an improvement in update schedule, but... what drew me into Paranatural was the gorgeous depictions of the world and ingenious visual gags.

I'll be completely honest, I mostly posted the update link for the sake of asking the prior question. The prose hasn't really been getting my attention at all.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Bleck posted:

I feel bad saying it, but, I'm really just not interested in the story delivered this way.

:same:

I was barely checking in due to the glacial update schedule and issues with pacing, and this basically killed all the remaining interest I had. (despite being a way to solve the issues with slow updates and pacing, ironically)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bleck posted:

Yeah, this and the recent(ish) gunnerkrigg stuff has devastated my bookmarks

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Kaliedoscope posted:

I'll be completely honest, I mostly posted the update link for the sake of asking the prior question. The prose hasn't really been getting my attention at all.

If we're being honest, I specifically didn't post the update because 3 of the last 7 posts were me posting updates and I was curious if anyone else would bother. Having 4 posts that weren't someone posting the update over the last 3 releases is an extremely low amount of discussion.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Might be time to fold this one back into the general webcomics thread.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I appreciate the update posts since I never remember to check on my own. I'm not attached enough to the new style to follow without them but I like the characters enough to keep going along.

Kaliedoscope
Dec 8, 2013

Splicer posted:

Did something happen there?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Kaliedoscope posted:

Did something happen there?

It’s been pretty underwhelming. Plot threads are brought up and then immediately dropped, long-running mysteries are being solved with zero fanfare, too much time is spent on boring things and too little on exciting things, etc. It’s a far cry from what it used to be in the past.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bleck posted:

It's honestly not a very interesting story

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's a hell of an object lesson in how much of a different skillset writing prose is

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Splicer posted:

At least we still have Kill Six Billion Demons. And look, a huge update today! Let’s go read it!

oh no…

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I want more paranatural in my life but now when I see there's an update I say "eh, I'll read it later" and then never do

The writing is ok but aside from my preexisting attachments to the characters and story there's really nothing noteworthy or exceptional about it

Erfworld at least was still remarkably good for a story arc after the switch to prose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Something is about to happen now, at least. On the old pace this much story would have taken about 3 months probably

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-7-page-58

Alt text: Spender had stubbed his toe.