Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zoig posted:

It def works mostly because adam is incredibly unhelpful in a very non malicious way as far as i have been. On the other hand the emmis bore me because the threat of death is short and non frustrating and the layouts are super samey. Its not bad so much as theres a lack of tension after the first one.

The rest of the game has been superb though, if thats not clear.

Yea. It's why I basically compare them to a QTE. They are invincible, they follow extremely predictable paths, are extremely easy to avoid, and are really more a nuisance then anything. After the first encounter they have zero tension or reason to be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This game has strong GotY vibes. What an experience.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The quality of the script is pretty laughable so far but drat it feels good to Metroid again

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yea. It's why I basically compare them to a QTE. They are invincible, they follow extremely predictable paths, are extremely easy to avoid, and are really more a nuisance then anything. After the first encounter they have zero tension or reason to be there.
lol sure you might be a god at video games who finds the emmi "extremely easy" to avoid but fortunately we aren't all you

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm only an hour or two in and still in the first EMMI area but I'm enjoying the EMMIs a hell of a lot more than I expected to. I usually hate being chased by invincible enemies in videogames but this strikes the perfect balance between tension and running rings around the fuckers once I've worked out the layout of the area. It's real fun.

I'm already hoping this team makes another Metroid in the very near future and that we don't have another decade long wait.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean even if you are stuck in some sort of time vortex and can’t escape them the consequences make them basically not an issue

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
EMMI sections become a lot more fun once you realize stealth is a trap and you just try to speed run through them

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Launch Trailer with some new monsters and bosses not seen in previous trailers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsN0avdHf4I

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hiro Protagonist posted:

While spoiling as little as possible, I've seen multiple outlets call this a "swan song", "final chapter", etc. Is this game pretty conclusively "the Last Metroid Game"?

quote:

During his Development History presentation, Sakamoto stated this about the game's story: "The series has chronicled the uncanny relationship between these Metroids and the heroine Samus, but this game will mark an end to that story arc. We're hoping fans of the series will wonder "what does 'mark an end to the story arc' mean?" as they play the game."

Two days later, he later clarified that the Metroid series would not end with Dread and what he meant was that the game would resolve the connection between Samus and the Metroids, while introducing new storylines for future titles. He said another game is "waiting in the works, and we want you to look forward with what we do with that next — but there are no specifics now."[42] He also told Eurogamer that the ending of Dread will offer an idea of Samus's next adventure.[41]

Looks like that's just misunderstanding some really unclear stuff they've said in interviews but that the Metroid series may stop featuring Metroids in future titles I guess.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My only real gameplay complaints so far is that in the EMMI zones, the darkness and the static make it real hard to tell where I can even go (especially with the yellow doors you can go in and the slightly more orange yellow doors you cannot at first), and the parry timing on the EMMIs is hard to tell because one of the thirty tips it gave at once said "the flash", but it "flashes" like four separate times before you die lol. Is it any of them?

Also it's weird that the "game over" to them is just five seconds of progress lost. Why bother, then? The game feels great but this whole thing with the EMMIs seems bad

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 8, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Zore posted:

Looks like that's just misunderstanding some really unclear stuff they've said in interviews but that the Metroid series may stop featuring Metroids in future titles I guess.
I mean Metroid Prime was just "here's this huge weird new creature that doesn't even look like a metroid but we're gonna call it a metroid, the prime metroid even, also it turns into Samus"

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

did you want a special edition? because we only made six of em! we're nintendo! suck our dick!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Deviant posted:

did you want a special edition? because we only made six of em! we're nintendo! suck our dick!

At least the special edition is bad enough that it doesn't matter. £30 for a little artbook and some postcards?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Deviant posted:

For what it's worth my EB/Gamestop (or whatever the gently caress are called in Canada now) actually had like 15+ for sale, and they got a bunch more in reserved as well (mine was per-ordered)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I died like five times on the first boss, the big problem is I'd get to the second phase and it'd get real close to the wall which made it near impossible to avoid the tail strikes and then once I got to the third phase I was always low on health. On my successful attempt I finally realized he rattles his tail before he whips, otherwise he's going to stab it downward and that got me the win. I'm slow, okay?

Just beat EMMI 3 and decided to take a break, I love that the other EMMI I've seen very obviously has the Speed Boost power up. And remapping ZL to ZR has helped a ton with making the slide feel much more natural for me to pull off, it sucks that people can't do that if they're playing with a non compatible controller though.

RBA Starblade posted:

the parry timing on the EMMIs is hard to tell because one of the thirty tips it gave at once said "the flash", but it "flashes" like four separate times before you die lol. Is it any of them?

The parry timing on them is purposely difficult to pull off, almost certainly to discourage people trying to brute force those sections. Adam is exaggerating a bit when he says you only have a 1% chance of success in parrying them, but I've only been able to pull it off twice and I've been caught a ton.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I get that it's a last resort but I mean I'm unsure which flash on it to even wait for

Since there's no punishment for failure though I guess it doesn't matter

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I get that it's a last resort but I mean I'm unsure which flash on it to even wait for

Since there's no punishment for failure though I guess it doesn't matter

you get two attempts to break out if that helps, one where the EMMI gets close enough to Samus and another if you hosed up the first one and it has Samus in it's hands

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm a big fan of the EMMIs so far. They starkly remind me of Nemesis from RE3. I know that game better than I know myself and while Nemesis is absolutely predictable it is still tense during his encounters. The first time through that game was terrifying. I get the same feeling here and I love it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Orange Crush Rush posted:

you get two attempts to break out if that helps, one where the EMMI gets close enough to Samus and another if you hosed up the first one and it has Samus in it's hands

Oh that does, I thought it was to fake you out lol. I just got it off, thanks

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
If you listen closely, you can hear tens of thousands of 7-10 year olds falling in love with Metroid for the first time.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

My only real gameplay complaints so far is that in the EMMI zones, the darkness and the static make it real hard to tell where I can even go (especially with the yellow doors you can go in and the slightly more orange yellow doors you cannot at first), and the parry timing on the EMMIs is hard to tell because one of the thirty tips it gave at once said "the flash", but it "flashes" like four separate times before you die lol. Is it any of them?

Also it's weird that the "game over" to them is just five seconds of progress lost. Why bother, then? The game feels great but this whole thing with the EMMIs seems bad

You get two chances to parry and have to suceed either one but since you respawn outside of wherever you entered it barely matters. Rather that than back to your last save though, since at least some people enjoy it.

I think the difficulty seems to fit perfectly as a textbook postgame hardmode so far. The kind where everything hits noticably harder, and things take noticeably more hits? It feels like that, which mostly is fine save for one exception later and im curious how others are going to feel about it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm about as bad at parrying here as Dark Souls lol

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Things don't have to be super punishing to still be tense. The EMMIs do a good job of that, and if it sent you back to your last save they would be awful.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

NGL I've been playing for about an hour and I just think the EMMIs are a bit loving lame? It's just an annoyance more than anything I'm finding.

Edit: reading back a bit it seems a lot of other people have the same thought

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i think the game of cat and mouse is very fun and cool

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

chumbler posted:

Things don't have to be super punishing to still be tense. The EMMIs do a good job of that, and if it sent you back to your last save they would be awful.

Strong agree. I don't think RBA understands how awful the EMMIs would be if they did that. They're still incredibly tense and stressful without having to punish you like it's a PS1 game or something.

Frankston posted:

NGL I've been playing for about an hour and I just think the EMMIs are a bit loving lame? It's just an annoyance more than anything I'm finding.

Since you're saying this I'm gonna say I disagree. I think the EMMIs are the standout of the game. The first area is so fantastically designed to weave you in and out of it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Frankston posted:

They are, without any real consequence you have to make your own tension. Which some seem able to do but I can’t really do it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is it me or is the Samus model in the menu real phazony looking

Kirios posted:

Strong agree. I don't think RBA understands how awful the EMMIs would be if they did that. They're still incredibly tense and stressful without having to punish you like it's a PS1 game or something.

I think the whole way they're designed is pretty poor, with the set rooms they can be in and zero punishment. There's no tension or anything at all, if anything it kills the groove.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There is a punishment. You get a game over.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

They are, without any real consequence you have to make your own tension. Which some seem able to do but I can’t really do it

Yeah like, once I realised it just sends you back outside the room all tension just evaporated and it's just a case of speeding through the area rather than freak out trying to stealth around.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Well I guess they're divisive. I think they're really fun without being frustrating. :shrug:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Amppelix posted:

lol sure you might be a god at video games who finds the emmi "extremely easy" to avoid but fortunately we aren't all you

I get caught the first few times, of course, because i'm not actually a god at video games, but then once you figure out their zone, you realize there is a samus only accessible path that forces the EMMI to take the long way around. So you can literally just wait until it almost get's you, slide through the samus only path, and then they will turn around and take the long way to get to you again. You can do this is as many times as you want until you figure out what button you are supposed to push to proceed.

But my question is, why not just make the EMMI zone a cool atmospheric zone with chill music while you explore the space until you stumble upon the button you are supposed to push. Why the rush?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

These controls are kind of awkward to me tbh. Like the joystick never feels right to use like ever.

ExtraQuiet
Apr 25, 2016

by Shine

Vintersorg posted:

I don't like that you don't get the ball right away.

metroid for nes taught me when you start a game, you always go left.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

stev posted:

Well I guess they're divisive. I think they're really fun without being frustrating. :shrug:

I wouldn’t even say frustrating, they just seem really tedious to me

otherwise it’s really loving nice to have a new Metroid!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zore posted:

honestly even if he wasn't taken out of context, this is looking to be the most profitable Metroid game they've done and MercurySteam has done too good of a job here to not be handed the keys to making more of them.

I'm hoping the ending of Fusion---with Samus pissing off the Federation---comes into play here. So far I feel like the whole thing right now was a setup to assassinate her so I'm hoping I'm right lol because otherwise idk how you brush that off.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I do say that the robots kind of just feel like doing SA-X again but SA-X was more effective

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I mean nobody can really argue against someone saying they need the EMMIs to delete their save before they'll feel anything, but like, that's not going to be the vast majority of people. See for example any game with a time limit, no matter how lenient. Just the existence of a clock or threat on its own is enough to affect probably most people who will play it. It doesn't need to be more frustrating than that for most people.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The boss fights, EMMIs aside, have been super cool so far. My favorite touch in the game though has been in the "what is Metroid I'm not 30 Nintendo" recap at the start they had Samus in a render of the old super chunky Super Metroid suit

SettingSun posted:

There is a punishment. You get a game over.

lol

e: I will say though that I embarrassingly died to one of the basic baby enemies trying to determine if you can parry while holding a charge shot (you can), and I hosed up the timing until I died and got the setback I wanted lmao

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don’t think anyone is arguing that. Like the SA-X didn’t delete your save but you lost enough progress for it to be a problem

You lose so little here running might actually cost you more