Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

As far as removing the DLL/changing the registry for my incompatible CPU (7700k), is that something I just do after I install Windows 11 or is there something I need to gently caress with beforehand? I have an ISO installer drive that I already made for my laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So an i5 6500 isn’t good enough for Windows 11? Not gonna upgrade my entire computer for this poo poo.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I upgraded on Monday and everything was working fine

now my taskbar is non-responsive on boot and I have to kill explorer.exe a few times for the taskbar to work

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Hungry Computer posted:

Ctrl+shift opens a program with elevated permissions(as admin), which is why the UAC prompt comes up. You really shouldn't be running programs elevated unless you have a specific reason, and should probably never run a web browser elevated.

It's useful for the new Windows terminal, because the task pin doesn't have a run as admin button in it's right click menu like PowerShell does.

Right! ok, that make more sense.
That means that we are without a "shift+click on the running application in the taskbar" for a second instance.
Right click on the application is fine, but shift click seemed faster.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

So an i5 6500 isn’t good enough for Windows 11? Not gonna upgrade my entire computer for this poo poo.

My system could run it fine, but I see no reason to "upgrade" from what I've seen so far. The more interesting stuff like running Android apps and DirectStorage isn't even there yet, and the UI regressions would just piss me off constantly. Right now it looks to me like "Imagine Windows 10, but worse."

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Vintersorg posted:

It probably is. They're just being super crazy about the requirements this time around.

My guess was that there's a security feature in the later CPUs that they plan to leverage later on, but that might not hold water, as some of the CPUs from the same generation are being excluded.

I think they just drew the line arbitrarily high for the launch and that will relax later.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

url posted:

Right! ok, that make more sense.
That means that we are without a "shift+click on the running application in the taskbar" for a second instance.
Right click on the application is fine, but shift click seemed faster.

Middle click also opens a second instance.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

For now I'm gonna say stop worrying about your "incompatible" hardware. The 4300u or whatever it is in my Surface Pro 3 sure ain't approved but it worked with no issue installing clean from USB. No warnings or nothin

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Every reboot, my second monitor is losing its portrait orientation and positioning relative to my first monitor. Every other reboot, fixing the orientation in settings results in a green screen crash. Super, super, super annoying. Then there's the weird audio/input lag/choppiness that happens once in a while for no discernible reason. This sort of reminds me of the effect when there would be too many sprites on screen on a SNES.

Everything else is pretty okay. But that's the most I could say -- it's pretty okay. What compelling reason is there to run Windows 11? Is there one? gently caress. Why did I do this.

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 8, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No trouble with multi monitor yet, thats with a portrait to the left of my main as well as a landscape connected to my SL3 via surface dock

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thank you very much for this. Will take a bit to get used to, but Middle-Click does indeed open a second instance off the taskbar.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Has anyone been able to successfully force the visual refresh in Microsoft Office 365? I got the prompt under the Coming Soon windows, clicked the toggle to switch, and nothing happened because the toggle wasn't working. I wonder if it's an IT related issue since my Office 365 is through university.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I'm installing windows 11 on my main desktop, which has an i7 3770 from 2012. No secure boot, no TPM, and CPU is unsupported. Every practical neuron in my brain is screaming at me that this is dumb and I'm ignoring them because doing stupid poo poo is fun and this is less stupid than the time I worked on my house's wiring while drunk.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone knows what the actual purpose is of registry entries that let you bypass requirements? Like, is it intended to serve some legitimate purpose for end users, is it a remnant from the development process that got overlooked, or what?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Worst case, you heave 10 back on. Long as you got enough memory and a SSD, 3770 still gonna run the OS and basic tasks well enough. No need to condemn it

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Everything worked smoothly, except OpenShell apparently doesn't support Win11 yet, so my start button didn't work. People have mentioned alternatives but I'm gonna give the new start menu time to either grow on me or, uh, the opposite of that.

Everything feels snappier, and it unfucked whatever was keeping any MS Store apps from working. Would recommend.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Windows 11 is unusable without StartAllBack to me, the new start menu is terrible. But that I could live with, but not being able to move the taskbar to the sides of my monitors is a dealbreaker. Microsoft really should bundle it with 11.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

For some reason Slack and Discord suddenly decided that if I maximize them, they're going to cover the taskbar. But only on my second screen. Also, for Discord, the middle caption button is still the maximize glyph rather than the restore one. WTF is going on? I can only assume some stupid Electron poo poo.

Edit: a reboot seems to have fixed it, at least for now.

And after waking the machine back up this evening, it's happened again. This is some poo poo.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm installing windows 11 on my main desktop, which has an i7 3770 from 2012. No secure boot, no TPM, and CPU is unsupported. Every practical neuron in my brain is screaming at me that this is dumb and I'm ignoring them because doing stupid poo poo is fun and this is less stupid than the time I worked on my house's wiring while drunk.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone knows what the actual purpose is of registry entries that let you bypass requirements? Like, is it intended to serve some legitimate purpose for end users, is it a remnant from the development process that got overlooked, or what?

I’m not sure in this case. One of the techie channels I follow on YouTube linked to an official Microsoft walk-through of how to edit the registry to allow it. It’s not some OS hacker in Serbia, it’s an actual Microsoft support page. I don’t understand and there is no reason given.

I mean, poo poo. It’s a free download. It’s not like unlocking DLC and charging for essential new features. In my (non-business) estimation, it would actually be costing them money for bandwidth and servers and staff to have multiple millions of users attempting to download when they really shouldn’t even be trying in the first place because their rigs aren’t supported.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The main goal is probably forcing OEMs and mainboard manufacturers into making these new requirements their defaults, so they can be enforced when Windows 12 comes around.

Mainboard manufacturers especially are notorious for super conservative default settings.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Fame Douglas posted:

The main goal is probably forcing OEMs and mainboard manufacturers into making these new requirements their defaults, so they can be enforced when Windows 12 comes around.

This does make sense. I stopped worrying about planning for the future in my late 20s. I’m also not on the board at an international company; I believed Windows 10 was the last version, and it would just update with the times.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's possible whatever implementation they used such that there's such a simple fix was just the easiest one, given that they know businesses aren't going to do it and 99.999% of home users don't even know what the registry is.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I ended up going back to Windows 10. I think 11 needs a little time to settle. I had a few issues that I never had in 10, such as occasional crackling audio and stuttering in games.

One thing to be aware of is that it seems like File History backups from 11 can't be restored on 10.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

Mainboard manufacturers especially are notorious for super conservative default settings.

One of Ars Technica's recent pieces at launch pegged it to being a DoD requirement, in which case Microsoft needed to force it to get system integrators on board. So the hassle/trouble on your own desktop you built yourself is so Microsoft can sell other licenses on other computers to the US military.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You are the hero I need!
Thanks for that!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've discovered a new most grating thing about windows 11: if you do the typical "type the first few letters of an app to find it" thing with the start menu, it works fine, but if you type a few more letters, it'll attempt to start a bing search through edge instead. That means they're limiting you to something like 4 letters and if you inadvertently go over before you reflexively press enter, it'll launch edge and do a bing search of the incomplete app name you just typed. And I can't find a way to turn this off. Great, thanks Microsoft!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Arivia posted:

One of Ars Technica's recent pieces at launch pegged it to being a DoD requirement, in which case Microsoft needed to force it to get system integrators on board. So the hassle/trouble on your own desktop you built yourself is so Microsoft can sell other licenses on other computers to the US military.

Which also makes sense on why it's so easy to disable.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I'm surprised the DoD has moved on from Windows 3.0. I thought they barely just moved to Windows 98. There are dudes in nuclear stockpile monitoring stations still using gigantic floppy disks from the 60s.
The notion that MS did the TPM thing for US military is scarcely believable. The IT equipment across the board are relics ran by illiterate dinosaurs. 'Military-grade' is an ironic by-word for the cheapest possible tat done by the lowest bidder as a last resort.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

redeyes posted:

You know you won't get updates right? Doesn't matter?

i just did the brute apraissess.dll thing and it totally downloads the current 11 build. also it let me install the latest windows defender libraries.

loving w11 so far, i was having troubles with my rx590 drivers and i installed them again and everything is working good so far.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've discovered a new most grating thing about windows 11: if you do the typical "type the first few letters of an app to find it" thing with the start menu, it works fine, but if you type a few more letters, it'll attempt to start a bing search through edge instead. That means they're limiting you to something like 4 letters and if you inadvertently go over before you reflexively press enter, it'll launch edge and do a bing search of the incomplete app name you just typed. And I can't find a way to turn this off. Great, thanks Microsoft!

Do the Win10 methods to block bing search on the start menu still exist / work? (group policy, registry edit)

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
They've generally been trying to move away from the concept of passwords, as passwords cause all sorts of problems. I think the TPM thing is a big part of that, and I think it's true that if you can give people a way to not have to deal with passwords they will be very happy.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That definitely doesn't happen with my system. I don't have a solution unfortunately, but it's not the intended behaviour. Possibly still indexing things, if it's a relatively new install?

I'm actually very impressed with search, it has been lightning fast and very reliable so far. I typed 'blend' as a test and it found Blender as a first result, then the web result, then all folders with blend in the title, followed by all my .blend files, immediately shown and properly categorised. Pretty much the same experience with all my searches. Really impressive after 10, and even better than 7 too.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I'm surprised the DoD has moved on from Windows 3.0. I thought they barely just moved to Windows 98. There are dudes in nuclear stockpile monitoring stations still using gigantic floppy disks from the 60s.
The notion that MS did the TPM thing for US military is scarcely believable. The IT equipment across the board are relics ran by illiterate dinosaurs. 'Military-grade' is an ironic by-word for the cheapest possible tat done by the lowest bidder as a last resort.

There's a huge difference between DoD as in the legacy hardware running systems so secure that the requirements for replacement are astronomical and DoD as in the dudes sitting at a desk at a base sending each other emails about the next PowerPoint presentation.

Most of the latter have been on Windows 10 for years now.

edit: and most of that office worker IT poo poo isn't using some special "military grade" hardware - whatever your opinion of that might be - it's COTS equipment being supplied by a civilian vendor and even money maintained by a bunch of civilian contractors.

edit 2: which is all to say that some of these changes being driven by them trying to lock down things for government contracts isn't implausible. Frankly it probably also helps the sale to regular 'ol enterprise customers who are also concerned about security.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 9, 2021

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

And after waking the machine back up this evening, it's happened again. This is some poo poo.

Waking it today and everything behaved properly. :shrug:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zeta Acosta posted:

i just did the brute apraissess.dll thing and it totally downloads the current 11 build. also it let me install the latest windows defender libraries.

loving w11 so far, i was having troubles with my rx590 drivers and i installed them again and everything is working good so far.

When you say current build is there a newer-than RTM whatever official build? I loaded it on one PC I have but I didn't notice any new builds under the updates. But you ARE getting updates I think you are saying so thank god.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 10, 2021

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

redeyes posted:

When you say current build is there a newer-than RTM whatever official build? I loaded it on one PC I have but I didn't notice any new builds under the updates. But you ARE getting updates I think you are saying so thank god.

right now i have the 21H2 version i dont know if that was the release version or not.

you download the iso from microsoft, do the fuckery to install it on unsoported hardware and setup.exe will search for updates and download them before setup starts normally

it is me or w11 boot slower than w10 but the apps start faster?

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 10, 2021

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Zeta Acosta posted:

it is me or w11 boot slower than w10 but the apps start faster?

for me it's the opposite, my KeePass login now takes a couple seconds longer to pop up whereas on 10 it was pretty much there as soon as I reached the desktop

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
It's weird, davinci legit Open faster

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

url posted:

You are the hero I need!
Thanks for that!

Heh, you're welcome. It's had that function since Windows 7.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Arivia posted:

The thing is that all (non legacy) DoD systems have been TPM 2.0 compliant for years. The deadline to enable 2.0 on most machines was like a year ago. And the army at least is always a year or two behind on OS releases, so you wont see machines running 11 till probably march 2023.

Also, you dont go into a store and buy a machine for the DoD. You go through a contract site and buy from pre-approved product that meet a minimum requirement. So any machine you've bought for your department/unit from the past like 3 years HAD to be TPM 2.0 compliant (And equipment buys usually happen every 3 years)

I think that the move to force TPM 2.0 on machines is less DoD and more microsoft forcing a minimum standard on other corporate environments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I think the 8" floppies with the launch programs were finally replaced a couple years ago