Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I'm really enjoying the Wheel Takes podcast too! It has the exact kind of silly humor that I like, combined with a genuine enthusiasm for the subject matter. I guess it's niche enough that no one involved is going to be making any actual money off of this anyway, so there's no use becoming horrible corporate ghouls.

Like I said, they've not been trying to radicalize me or sell me pillows, though they frequently make jokes about what group might be sponsoring the podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I sure hope they'll be keeping the Fade's cloaks motionless. It's a great creepy detail.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I'm still a little salty that they're not keeping Lan's active camo cloak, I really hope they do the fades right. I really like the design we've seen of it so far

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

CainsDescendant posted:

I'm still a little salty that they're not keeping Lan's active camo cloak, I really hope they do the fades right. I really like the design we've seen of it so far
Are they doing the Warder cloak at all? Lan almost never wears his, so seeing him without one makes sense.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

He might get it in future seasons, but he hasn't had it in any of the promo material and I recall a Q&A with Rafe saying he doesn't have it in season 1. I may be misremembering how definitive he was about that, though.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
IIRC somebody said in some panel or something that it would just be an enormous budget-sink for a pretty small payout. Same as ageless faces.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah i don't know how exactly they would manage to do magical color-shifting cloaks all the time without it being a massive moneysink for something inconsequential or so shoddily done that people would rather it had not been done at all. the answer is pretty clear at that point

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I am pretty attached to the vestiges of sci-fi society being used in the current age, in fact I'd love it being played up even more since I feel like it's one of the coolest elements of the setting, but the budget concerns do make sense. I was thinking it'd be easy enough to just stick him in a chroma green cloak but it probably would kinda look like poo poo. Yet another reason I'm disappointed that this is live action instead of animated, but I'm happy we're getting anything at all.

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 8, 2021

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i could also be talking out of my rear end but i don't even remember the warder cloaks ever being super relevant. like they were status icons for someone being a warder but a lot of the time there seemed to be instances of them purposefully putting the cloaks away just to not be easily picked out in a crowd because of it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If the show is good it won’t matter but if it’s poo poo then it’ll just piss the 5 people who watch it off.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I"m going to watch every episode no matter how bad they get.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

How are u posted:

I"m going to watch every episode no matter how bad they get.

i read crossroads of twilight, there’s no way this will be a bigger waste of my time

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

My brother is reading the series for the first time. He just finished Eye of the World, and loved it. He calls me all time with questions, and is getting hilariously annoyed at how often I answer with RAFO (so I’m giving him the authentic experience). But he was curious when to read New Spring.

I saw a YouTuber say he recommended to read it after book 5, which, when I thought about it, made a lot of sense. Thoughts?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Johnny Joestar posted:

i could also be talking out of my rear end but i don't even remember the warder cloaks ever being super relevant. like they were status icons for someone being a warder but a lot of the time there seemed to be instances of them purposefully putting the cloaks away just to not be easily picked out in a crowd because of it.

I think the only cool little bit related to them is when Moridin first pops on the scene, and he's wearing a full rear end complete suit of Fancloth as a stealth getup while spying on Graendal and Sammael's toying with the Shaido. It's a nice reminder/throwback to the visions from the Age of Legends where it was just a normal uniform for soldiers, and it's kinda silly how they still have the ability to make it, but are sorta too nearsighted to use it as much more than a warder status symbol.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

thrawn527 posted:

My brother is reading the series for the first time. He just finished Eye of the World, and loved it. He calls me all time with questions, and is getting hilariously annoyed at how often I answer with RAFO (so I’m giving him the authentic experience). But he was curious when to read New Spring.

I saw a YouTuber say he recommended to read it after book 5, which, when I thought about it, made a lot of sense. Thoughts?

After book 5, yes.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I never did read it. Is it any good?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Invalid Validation posted:

I really liked it.

As for when to read it;

It was written between books 10 and 11 so some people will insist it should be read then. Personally I don’t care for that suggestion because book 10 ends on a massive cliffhanger and you tend to want to launch right into book 11. After book 5 is a frequent suggestion because that eliminates basically any spoilers for plot lines and character motivations in the main series - with between book 5 and 6 being a common point to read it because the end of book 5 is something of a natural break in the story. Strictly speaking after book 3 probably works too - there’s nothing really in books 4 or 5 that New Spring would spoil and book 3 is another natural breakpoint in the flow of the story.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I never read it til after the whole series. But since it seems like they're bringing in New Spring poo poo, it's a short read and after 5 is best at any time, just not before.

I'd say just read it for if they pull much from it into the show.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Invalid Validation posted:

It's not bad for a prequel. It basically gives you Lan and Moiraine's backstory. As such it contains significant spoilers for, oh, about up through book four or five.

I'd suggest reading it whenever "I want to hear about Lan and Moiraine's backstory now" feels more appealing than "I want to keep reading about Egwene and Rand and Mat and Perrin." So, oh, probably about when the fifty four page elayne-taking-a-bath scene happens in book ten.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Barreft posted:

I never read it til after the whole series. But since it seems like they're bringing in New Spring poo poo, it's a short read and after 5 is best at any time, just not before.

I'd say just read it for if they pull much from it into the show.

The other thing I think they'll pull from for the show -- because they cast a Young Egwene -- is the "Ravens" chapter that was written as a prologue for the young adult republication of Eye of the World.

https://www.wattpad.com/78706-jordan-robert-wot-prequel-earlier-ravens

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The other thing I think they'll pull from for the show -- because they cast a Young Egwene -- is the "Ravens" chapter that was written as a prologue for the young adult republication of Eye of the World.

I hope so.

RJ made that chapter for a reason, he didn't have to when he split the books for YA. It was important.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

oh, so that explains it. I just bought Eye of the World from the Apple Bookstore because I'm feeling too lazy to find my old paperback and was really confused about that Ravens prologue, because even though it's been, uh decades, since I last read the book I definitely had no recollection of that part.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

The Lord Bude posted:

It was written between books 10 and 11 so some people will insist it should be read then.
Hi! It's me. The Lord Bude is talking about me.

The Lord Bude posted:

Personally I don’t care for that suggestion because book 10 ends on a massive
cliffhanger and you tend to want to launch right into book 11.
That's fair. I haven't put a lot of thought into when I'd recommend it earlier in the series. Maybe right after 9? CoT then becomes a long catch-up as you get back into the swing. Like I said, haven't put work into figuring it out yet, but wanting the resolution of CoT's cliffhanger absolutely makes sense.

I like the idea of just "whenever reading about Moiraine and Lan seems more interesting than reading about Elayne bathing or Perrin being indecisive* or ..."

The Lord Bude posted:

I really liked it.
Same. This is the spoilers thread, so I'll be more specific (though not actually spoilery) than I was in the TV Show thread:

I loved seeing Moiraine, the series' avatar of poise and calm, back when she was an Accepted, back when she was Nynaeve's age, getting sent by the Amyrlin on wildly dangerous missions (for which there was no one else trustworthy).

Honestly, I just really like Moiraine POV chapters, because the inside of her head is so different from the face she presents, and New Spring is a book (half) full of them.

Also, her "I need to leave right now or the Tower will put me on the Sun Throne and I won't have a say in the matter." gives great perspective on how she insists on just "Moiraine", no title.

*I just mean hammer versus axe.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

howe_sam posted:

oh, so that explains it. I just bought Eye of the World from the Apple Bookstore because I'm feeling too lazy to find my old paperback and was really confused about that Ravens prologue, because even though it's been, uh decades, since I last read the book I definitely had no recollection of that part.

Yeah, it's weird. For a while, and I think still internationally in some countries, they were splitting the books in half and publishing them that way. When they first did that they added that extra prologue at the front of Eye. If it's been added back into all editions now that would make sense. I think it's mostly there to explain the three thousand year timeskip.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
New Spring is a great book. Not the best in the series, but definitely far better than the worst.

I wish I could set up a tier list for the books, but it's been so long that it's hard to remember what goes on in what book.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

S tier: 4, 6, 11
A tier: 1, 2, 3, 5
B tier: 7, 9, NS, AMoL
C tier: 8, TGS, ToM
D tier:
F tier: 10

11 is S tier strictly for the Golden Crane flies for Tarmon Gaidon which is my favorite scene in the whole drat series outside of book 4.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I'd move 5 up to S on this list. Moiraine vs Lanfear, then her letter. Aviendha stops running (and when Asmodean tells Avi's first sister). Nynaeve's arc. Breaking the siege of Cairhien. The circus plot is delightfully kooky. Rand and Nynaeve completely destroying Rahvin. Morgase's povs.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I'd move 5 up to S on this list. Moiraine vs Lanfear, then her letter. Aviendha stops running (and when Asmodean tells Avi's first sister). Nynaeve's arc. Breaking the siege of Cairhien. The circus plot is delightfully kooky. Rand and Nynaeve completely destroying Rahvin. Morgase's povs.

dammit those are all fair points. i think nynaeve/elaynes plot is pretty useless throughout which knocked it down in my memory but there are definitely great moments

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

It does unfortunately have the Elayne wants to gently caress her step-dad plotline for most of the book.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
When and why did "s tier" become a thing

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

It's a Japanese school grading rank and I would say probably popularized in the west from fighting games in the early/mid 90s

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I didn't know either, always seemed strange. Now I do.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

"S" rank/grade/tier/whatever has been around for decades. It's a Japanese thing that started showing up in video games and whatnot. It generally means "perfect" or "best of the best" when used in this context.

Sort of the difference between getting an A and an A+, but, like, more.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's a Japanese school grading rank and I would say probably popularized in the west from fighting games in the early/mid 90s

Upgraded in public consciousness more recently in gacha games, too.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the 'a' stands for 'angreal' and the 's' stands for 'sa'angreal'

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

uPen posted:

It does unfortunately have the Elayne wants to gently caress her step-dad plotline for most of the book.

*Real Dad

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1446510090941435906

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VekVXk1Wo0

Title is "The Flame" so ... Aes Sedai/Tar Valon theme? Probably.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
In the clip they just played Lan and Moirane introduce themselves with their actual names, to the Emond's Fielders.

Immersion: ruined.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

buffalo all day posted:

S tier: 4, 6, 11
A tier: 1, 2, 3, 5
B tier: 7, 9, NS, AMoL
C tier: 8, TGS, ToM
D tier:
F tier: 10

11 is S tier strictly for the Golden Crane flies for Tarmon Gaidon which is my favorite scene in the whole drat series outside of book 4.

While I'll agree that TGS is the roughest of Sanderson's adaptations, with Mat especially, it really does have to go higher than C tier for Natrim's Burrow and especially Verin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It is very funny listening to Nyaneve's actor speaking in her Australian accent.

"Such an amazing spic-tic-cl"