Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Argh I want to keep watching, play us more!

e: the clip in question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIMkfP4JsxU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

This loving slaps

Really not a fan of the accents in that clip though yeesh

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rarity posted:

This loving slaps

Really not a fan of the accents in that clip though yeesh

Can I ask why? I don’t know much about accents. Is this what someone was talking about earlier, about how the farm people are talking with posh accents? That happens a lot in TV shows and and movies, doesn’t it?

Doesn’t necessarily make it better. Just wondering.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Jordan said the Two Rivers was modeled off of colonial Virginia I think so they "should" sound American while people from Caemlyn are supposed to be more traditionally English with their accents. Moraine should have a french sounding accent since she's from Cairhien, but alas!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
There's only one cultural accent that absolutely simply must be accurate to the books or the show is ruined.

e: y'all

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Fantasy means everyone speaks in non specific British Accents duh

I find this very irritating but I didn't expect WoT to buck this particular trend anyway so meh

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I do be hoping, but I do no be that hopeful myself.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

How are u posted:

There's only one cultural accent that absolutely simply must be accurate to the books or the show is ruined.

I’ll laugh hysterically if this one happens, but I kind of doubt it, unfortunately.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

How are u posted:

Argh I want to keep watching, play us more!

e: the clip in question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIMkfP4JsxU
Wow, they really are changing a lot of the feel of it. That inn is fuckin huge. And strangely ornate with all the carving on the pillars and stuff. Interesting also that they chose to have M come in to town openly as an Aes Sedai.

Accents are bad as expected. Though to be honest I prefer them to the horrible mix of USA, British and other accents you'd get in 90s fantasy adaptations (Robin Hood/Dragonheart anyone?)

edit for non-nitpicking content: new poster dropped:

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 8, 2021

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Looks like the budget is there, that's about all I can take from that. Lan doesn't seem big enough, but they sold the presence they have walking into the inn. Still excited over here.

imo the winespring needs to feel big here, but small once we get back to it. So giving it some scale to support the things we know happen there makes sense.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 8, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The Winespring Inn is described as being two stories and having a dozen chimneys so the common room looks pretty accurate to me.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Wow, had definitely forgotten that it was meant to be that big. It still doesn't look like any old rear end country inn I've ever been to but makes more sense.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

How are u posted:

Also fake-Russian accents for the Aiel.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

thrawn527 posted:

Can I ask why? I don’t know much about accents. Is this what someone was talking about earlier, about how the farm people are talking with posh accents? That happens a lot in TV shows and and movies, doesn’t it?

The Emond's Fielders sound like a bunch of theatre kids. I don't care too much about them being Brit or American but they should sound lower class, not like they spent 4 years at Julliard

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Or RADA.

Good luck with that.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

El Grillo posted:

Wow, had definitely forgotten that it was meant to be that big. It still doesn't look like any old rear end country inn I've ever been to but makes more sense.

So you've never been to Emond's Field?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

El Grillo posted:

It's worth remembering that before mass production, when everything was made by hand, a lot of craftsmen would put inordinate amounts of work into even small/cheap poo poo because it (a) was one of the only things they were working on at the time and (b) helped make their name or mark. Or just because they were passionate about their work. Mass production and machining for the cheapest amount possible meant that simple/plain work, at least for cheaper goods, became really common. Of course, not everything anyone worked on in ye olden times was intricate looking or anything; but it wasn't unheard of is me point.

And also that the singular tavern in an isolated place like Emond's Field probably wouldn't be all that cheap either, since it would serve as a local hub. I haven't read the books in years to get an exact grasp on things, but I'm pretty sure I recall Rand being awed that the tavern owner had several books, making him a veritable rich man in Rand's eyes; both financially and mentally. The owner was the mayor of the area too, making him both more politically important and his establishment that much more important since a lot of the local politics probably ran through there.

The Two Rivers was also somewhat famous for the tobacco it produced if I recall. Or at least, the raw goods it exported to become someone else's tobacco. So an outsized amount of money probably flowed back into the area, relative to it's importance otherwise. Emond's Field was still a hamlet in the grand scheme of things, but it was the only notable village or town in the region, and what wealth there was there accumulated in that place most likely. I'm pretty sure I recall character's thinking about how poor/poo poo accommodation or life in other towns and villages they pass through are too, even in comparison to Emond's Field, so the place would have to look somewhat decent as a baseline so other places can be comparatively bad.

tsob fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 9, 2021

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think that's basically how they view it at amazon, they want people to subscribe to amazon prime and it's much easier to do that by blasting everywhere that some new thing is coming out in a couple weeks than slowly trickling out info with the disclaimer that it won't be here until like 6-8 months from now

Sab669 posted:

I just think with the absolute abundance of TV shows, games, and whatever other forms of entertainment that are widely available it just doesn't even make sense to tell people about it half a year in advance because they'll just forget :v:

makes sense

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

The Notorious ZSB posted:

This is really the thing with "the slog", its not that its bad reading straight through now its how stretched the primary plots got in those series of books which is such a departure from the first 6 and the last 4 or so.

Jordan had the final chapter written sometime during his write of books 2-3 to my recollection so he always knew how it was going to finish, he just was given the leeway to add as much in the middle as he wanted.

yeah, the first 5 (arguably 6 as you say) WoT books were really brisk and full of crazy reveals all the time, then you hit book 7 and suddenly it takes literally hundreds of pages for even the most tiny shift in plot... Crossroads of Twilight being the absolute worst offender, since it's an entire novel which takes place at the same time as the novel before it, so you don't really get any plot advancement... you just get to see what the most boring characters were doing during the events of the book before it

still a great series though

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Also fake-Russian accents for the Aiel.

In Three-Fold Land, Dark One find YOU!

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Simone Magus posted:

yeah, the first 5 (arguably 6 as you say) WoT books were really brisk and full of crazy reveals all the time, then you hit book 7 and suddenly it takes literally hundreds of pages for even the most tiny shift in plot... Crossroads of Twilight being the absolute worst offender, since it's an entire novel which takes place at the same time as the novel before it, so you don't really get any plot advancement... you just get to see what the most boring characters were doing during the events of the book before it

still a great series though
I think people who haven’t read the books in a while forget that nothing happens in book 6 until the ending and it’s one of the most boring books in the series. But the ending makes up for it and changes perception of the preceding 900 pages of boring.

Book 7 by contrast has a lot happening and then has a lack luster ending.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

th3t00t posted:

I think people who haven’t read the books in a while forget that nothing happens in book 6 until the ending and it’s one of the most boring books in the series

I disagree, I think book 6 is one of the most well-paced books in this section of the series. Rand teleporting back and forth between Cairhien and Caemlyn because of how many Aes Sedai are known to be in each city sets a tempo, and there's tons of stuff to pay attention to inbetween.

I do agree that people who read the series for nothing but "Rand blows poo poo up" is reasonably rewarded by the series and would be disappointed in these books, but it definitely takes immersion in the rest of what the series offers that elevates the series above generic fantasy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The Winespring Inn is described as being two stories and having a dozen chimneys so the common room looks pretty accurate to me.

Having a dozen chimneys means that there are a dozen fireplaces. After you take away the kitchen, the main room and the rooms where the al'Veres live, there are perhaps half a dozen rooms for guests. So it's probably about as big as this pub:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

maybe it's time for another reminder that this is the tv show thread and not the book thread

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jedit posted:

Having a dozen chimneys means that there are a dozen fireplaces. After you take away the kitchen, the main room and the rooms where the al'Veres live, there are perhaps half a dozen rooms for guests. So it's probably about as big as this pub:

With two storeys, a dozen chimneys would mean two dozen fireplaces. More, possibly. If the chimneys go up through the middle you'd have a fireplace on each side; A house with two chimneys and two storeys can have four fireplaces on each floor.

It must be a genuinely large building. Probably lots of excess capacity to house all the merchants who come in from off when the tabac is harvested.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 9, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I say this with no irony, this thread is gonna be fun once the episode start dropping haha

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

"fun"

Hopefully the good kind.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
in my experience WoT fans are nowhere near as bad as GoT fans

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
but then again, also not as "fun" :j:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Comic-con panel is online here:

https://www.findthemetaverse.com/fi...6hGwVsA4uWl3YeU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Basically I think books 7-10 might be at most 2 seasons worth of TV and depending on what they trim might be a single season if they move quickly. There is a lot going on that is just dragged out that could be really condensed imo.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

That one seems to have gotten locked behind a paywall now, but there's a YouTube version of the same thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrwkGsUaPyY

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Basically I think books 7-10 might be at most 2 seasons worth of TV and depending on what they trim might be a single season if they move quickly. There is a lot going on that is just dragged out that could be really condensed imo.

If they're smart it'll be

season 1: book 1 mostly

season 2: book 2, maybe also book 3 depending on how much you condense and if you can use falme as a "mid season finale" type thing

season 3: book 4

season 4: book 5

Season 5: books 6 (combine 5 and 6 here if season 3 was book 3)

Season 6: book 7, 8, 9

season 7: book 11, 12

season 8: book 13, 14

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah also i feel like there are so many minor characters that get viewpoint chapters that'll just get cut entirely from a show (or be condensed down and combined)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If they're smart it'll be

season 1: book 1 mostly

season 2: book 2, maybe also book 3 depending on how much you condense and if you can use falme as a "mid season finale" type thing

season 3: book 4

season 4: book 5

Season 5: books 6 (combine 5 and 6 here if season 3 was book 3)

Season 6: book 7, 8, 9

season 7: book 11, 12

season 8: book 13, 14

Pretty sure they said Season 1 covers parts of Book 1 and 2, and even 3.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they have an opportunity to get creative with some of the structure of book 1 since it was basically written to where it could serve as a standalone thing if jordan didn't get approval/funding for more

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I can't even imagine making an entire season out of book 1. I'm looking forward to all the liberties they can and will take restructuring things.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Sab669 posted:

I can't even imagine making an entire season out of book 1. I'm looking forward to all the liberties they can and will take restructuring things.

Rafe's been pretty clear they're not doing a simple one/two book = one season thing. There's stuff being moved forwards, there's stuff being moved back, there's stuff bein dropped entirely, there's new stuff being added. It's going to be it's own thing.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

jng2058 posted:

Rafe's been pretty clear they're not doing a simple one/two book = one season thing. There's stuff being moved forwards, there's stuff being moved back, there's stuff bein dropped entirely, there's new stuff being added. It's going to be it's own thing.

Practically speaking I imagine a lot of it is to not introduce new people and locations then ignore them for multiple seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Honestly Im very excited about a WoT remix as the TV version. Adaptations should not just try to 1:1 their source material. It's part of what's made The Boys so loving good and what made Prisoner of Azkaban the best Potter film.