Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

nullscan posted:

What are you looking to do for employment?

He has a masters in computer science, I'm finishing up my bachelor's. So something in that direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Hmmm, you can go easy mode and try usajobs and work at one of the bases. Otherwise I think Amazon has some listings in Seoul but not sure what the Korean fluency requirements are. The tourist visas are only good for 90 days and you'll have to do a visa run to another country to reset it, with covid, might be a pain in the rear end.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

We're not American and not in the country for maybe six more months. I had a look on graduateland.com and they add a few relevant every day. We don't speak any korean either. Why would we need a tourist visa?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Well as far as I know theres not much of a job seeking visa program. I could be wrong. But it sounds like your plan is to show up, rent an apartment,???, then find a job.

If I'm offbase, then please correct me. Just odd to be looking at housing before you have a gig lined up. Most employers will arrange that for you.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Oh no, we're looking for a job now. Housing comes after, but my buddy saw a documentary on jeonse and got spooked.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If they're hiring people from abroad, they'll almost always either provide you housing or a stipend, and if they do the stipend they may also cover the key money.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Thanks guys, that's good to know. If we make it over there, I'd love to meet up sometime.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

My girlfriend and I are looking into Korea, along with other Asian countries for potentially living abroad/teaching English. However, we're dirty filthy Americans (newly vaccinated). Is it possible to travel to Asia/Korea if you manage to find jobs abroad beforehand?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
You need a negative PCR test taken within the 3 days prior to your arrival in KR (regardless of vaccination status), and there's currently a mandatory 14-day quarantine period that will cost you ~$2000 (you have to stay in the KR government mandated hotel). Other than that there's nothing preventing you from entering Korea with or without a visa (US citizens can still enter on the 90-day visa free tourist status).

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

My girlfriend and I are looking into Korea, along with other Asian countries for potentially living abroad/teaching English. However, we're dirty filthy Americans (newly vaccinated). Is it possible to travel to Asia/Korea if you manage to find jobs abroad beforehand?

I think right now it's something like:

Korea - Possible with a job, or even without apparently
Taiwan - Possible with a job
Japan - No
China - No
HK - No

This is all changing pretty frequently though, some correct me if I'm off on these.

I believe nowhere has vaccine-specific regs yet and probably won't for a while until there's a critical mass of people who are vaccinated or there's more clear data about how being vaccinated affects the ability to spread.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

astr0man posted:

You need a negative PCR test taken within the 3 days prior to your arrival in KR (regardless of vaccination status), and there's currently a mandatory 14-day quarantine period that will cost you ~$2000 (you have to stay in the KR government mandated hotel). Other than that there's nothing preventing you from entering Korea with or without a visa (US citizens can still enter on the 90-day visa free tourist status).

You don't have to stay in a hotel if you have your own residence, though. If you were coming in on an E2 visa to teach English, I think the school could arrange to have you quarantine at whatever housing they set you up with.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Going to copypasta my most of what I posted from the SE Asia thread here.

Tbh I'm just trying to figure out a place in Asia to call home for a few years, so I'm struggling to figure out where to ask this between here and the Korea thread. My main asks are decent air quality, decent weather (hot and humid is fine as long as we're not talking about Miami/Tallahassee levels; I used to visit grandparents there and don't want to repeat that experience ever again), a decent cost of living, and a decent enough job market so that my gf and I can find work. Jeju island in Korea seems like it might be nice so I'm going to follow up in the Korea thread as well

I have to confess that another big motivation for me is COVID. I am now fully vaccinated but I recognize that the airport/flight over could be a problem with variants, but after the inevitable quarantine period I want to live in a country where I can have a normal life and not be afraid all of the time which is how I feel like things will stand in the West for years to come. I look at Vietnam having what, 3 new cases per 100,000 in the past few weeks? Regardless of how much Asian countries may or may not be cooking the books, their response has undeniably been insanely robust compared to everywhere else. And while I like the idea of living in New Zealand okay, the cost of living seems insane and I'd rather experience more culture shock rather than simply move to another Anglo country. Plus, NZ/Australia don't really fit with my aim of teaching English abroad.

If anyone knows good online "expat" communities then that would be helpful as well.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Air quality in korea is not great and it is hot and humid in the summer

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

Tbh I'm just trying to figure out a place in Asia to call home for a few years, so I'm struggling to figure out where to ask this between here and the Korea thread. My main asks are decent air quality, decent weather (hot and humid is fine as long as we're not talking about Miami/Tallahassee levels; I used to visit grandparents there and don't want to repeat that experience ever again), a decent cost of living, and a decent enough job market so that my gf and I can find work. Jeju island in Korea seems like it might be nice so I'm going to follow up in the Korea thread as well

I have to confess that another big motivation for me is COVID. I am now fully vaccinated but I recognize that the airport/flight over could be a problem with variants, but after the inevitable quarantine period I want to live in a country where I can have a normal life and not be afraid all of the time which is how I feel like things will stand in the West for years to come. I look at Vietnam having what, 3 new cases per 100,000 in the past few weeks? Regardless of how much Asian countries may or may not be cooking the books, their response has undeniably been insanely robust compared to everywhere else. And while I like the idea of living in New Zealand okay, the cost of living seems insane and I'd rather experience more culture shock rather than simply move to another Anglo country. Plus, NZ/Australia don't really fit with my aim of teaching English abroad.

If anyone knows good online "expat" communities then that would be helpful as well.

Honestly unless you’re independently wealthy or can be a digital nomad type and hop countries, then you’re going to need to get a job in order to get a visa etc. and the question becomes as much where you can get a job and visa now as anything else.

Edit: ah I see you left out a bunch of context you discussed in the SEA thread haiyaaa

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 7, 2021

Aelirea
Feb 12, 2015

LimburgLimbo posted:

I think right now it's something like:

Korea - Possible with a job, or even without apparently
Taiwan - Possible with a job
Japan - No
China - No
HK - No

This is all changing pretty frequently though, some correct me if I'm off on these.

I believe nowhere has vaccine-specific regs yet and probably won't for a while until there's a critical mass of people who are vaccinated or there's more clear data about how being vaccinated affects the ability to spread.

Taiwan has gone back (since beginning of March) to allowing entry for business reasons and for medical tourism
if you can get into Taiwan (or mainland China, but good luck with that) and stay there for at least the quarantine period, you can then freely enter Hong Kong as even just a tourist (and you even get the shorter 14-day instead of 21-day quarantine!)
entering Korea as a short-term visitor is easy if you're coming from a country that didn't ban Koreans back in April of last year (it's a reciprocity thing)
specific logistical details covered already:

astr0man posted:

Yossarian-22 posted:

if it matters to you, you should probably be aware that English-language ability among people on Jeju island is generally not as high as in, say, Seoul

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Aelirea posted:

Taiwan has gone back (since beginning of March) to allowing entry for business reasons and for medical tourism
if you can get into Taiwan (or mainland China, but good luck with that) and stay there for at least the quarantine period, you can then freely enter Hong Kong as even just a tourist (and you even get the shorter 14-day instead of 21-day quarantine!)
entering Korea as a short-term visitor is easy if you're coming from a country that didn't ban Koreans back in April of last year (it's a reciprocity thing)
specific logistical details covered already:

if it matters to you, you should probably be aware that English-language ability among people on Jeju island is generally not as high as in, say, Seoul

Yeah I was mostly orienting it specifically towards someone looking to go teach and what their chances are of getting there either visa in hand or *maybe* to go pound the pavement in person if they're willing to take the risks, without going through every scenario that isn't going to apply to them.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

I'd like to live in Korea for a couple of months.
Is Seoul a lot more expensive than other cities?
And is there anything there you can't find elsewhere?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rent might be higher but the general cost of things in Seoul isn't much different than anywhere else. And no, what makes Seoul special is it has lots of foreign food and such, which if you're just hanging out in Korea you probably don't care about. If you just wanted to chill out in Korea for a little bit I'd probably go to Busan. Maybe Gwangju, or Gyeongju if you wanted somewhere smaller and quiet.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

uguu posted:

I'd like to live in Korea for a couple of months.
Is Seoul a lot more expensive than other cities?

What do you want to do in Korea and what drives you to go there

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

I want to live in a non western, firstworld foreign country for a while, where it's not too hot. I would prefer Japan, but they're closed. I would be studying online and just living life.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

uguu posted:

where it's not too hot.

Got some bad news for you about Korea.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

Got some bad news for you about KoreaAsia.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

So a 90 day tourist visa? You could get hotels or maybe an airbnb for that long. But a lot of the airbnbs are closed down due to covid, and you'll have to do two weeks of quarantine in a gov facility (and pay for the opportunity) unless things have changed recently.

And don't let anyone catch you making an income while here on a tourist visa.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

uguu posted:

Disagree with GF; Seoul and Gyeonggi around it definitely have a different vibe to the rest of Korea. 90% of the youth culture and art scene is in the city, most notable exhibitions and so on, almost all the big museums. Most things, really; there's a reason most people in Korea want to live there. It's also just markedly more modern, both in that it/the people there keep up with the trends more (socially too) and that you won't get whiffs of sewer air in the same way you do even in Busan.

Not to say it's just flat better, a lot of foreigners seem to like Busan more, and Seoul is probably substantially less chill if that's what you're after. It's more that the rest of the country still shows off hints that Korea was poor as dirt 50 years ago in a way that Seoul doesn't so much anymore.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm a stupid and ignorant American.

I've been told that Korea and Japan are far far more different culturally than most people think.

I understand that are different, but I'm wondering what are the most notable things that make them different culturally both in day to day life, social issues, and media?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've been told that America and Russia are far far more different culturally than most people think.

I understand that are different, but I'm wondering what are the most notable things that make them different culturally both in day to day life, social issues, and media?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

different??? I thought they were all just chinese over there??????

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'd unironically be interested in learning about that too.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'd unironically be interested in learning about that too.

Yes we've gathered you know literally nothing about anything ever and endeavor constantly to remind everyone in any thread relating to Asia about that fact.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Look I was just curious. It seems that I have offended some people in here. That wasn't my intent. I apologize and won't bother anyone here anymore.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

The Japanese drive on the left, Korean on the right. The Japanese call it the Kamehameha and the Koreans call it the Ener-gi-pa. End of list.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm a stupid and ignorant American.

I've been told that Korea and Japan are far far more different culturally than most people think.

This is pretty accurate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8J6wMwQ-Ho

nullscan
May 28, 2004

The Koreans have a beautiful island named Takeshima, and you should ask them about it at every opportunity.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

nullscan posted:

The Koreans have a beautiful island named Takeshima, and you should ask them about it at every opportunity.

Make sure to mention how small you heard it is, by pinching your thumb and index finger together.

Chimie
Nov 22, 2013
Hmm. I decided to log in after what, 4 years to say hi cause the news today.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Chimie posted:

Hmm. I decided to log in after what, 4 years to say hi cause the news today.

why what happened today

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

AmbientParadox posted:

why what happened today

lowtax committed suicide

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

I made it over, currently on day 7 of quarantine!
Trying to figure out what I'm going to do here, any suggestions are welcome.
I've also never met any goons, I'd be up for that as well.
Would Seoraksan be more beautiful in early December or early February?
Also can I get an invite to Kakao?

uguu fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 23, 2021

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
just an fyi, you don't need to give out your phone number for someone to add you, just your kakao ID (make sure your ID is set to be searchable)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

uguu posted:

Would Seoraksan be more beautiful in early December or early February?
Also can I get an invite to Kakao?

All greenery except pines will be dead in both months. If there's snow it will look nicer, which could happen in either month. Currently, there's a lot of snowfall forecast in Gangwon for the first weekend of December, though that could change. Check trail closures before you go, a lot of routes aren't open in winter.