Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mookie was a burlesque announce for a while. I'm pretty sure Mookie thinks he's sex-positive, but if you look at the themes in his comics he's... not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Mookie saying he wants to do a thing and then showing he's incapable of doing the thing is about par for the course.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

There's the highschool nerd trauma mookie that has internalised all the bad nerd stereotypes and the metalhead mookie that is tapped into the culture of the hardcore. All of mookie's cultural output has always been the result of these two mookies fighting each other.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Someone on the GitP forums thinks that naked orc lady is lying to Arudak so he'll give up his quest to do something with dreams to resurrect his girlfriend. That would actually be really clever, so that's absolutely not what's happening.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i don't think i like this comic

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm starting to think maybe this comic doesn't really merit its own hate thread?

This artist is somehow fundamentally unable to understand some basic truths about human interaction and how his work is perceived by his audience. That's been going on for a while, and I don't see it changing any time soon.

At this point, calling out each individual page for its faults feels less like artistic criticism and more like ganging up on a mentally-ill or neuroatypical person for being "weird."

It is what it is and it's probably going to stay that way.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

You're wrong

I don't hate this

It is a joy to see each bizarre narrative juke

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm starting to think maybe this comic doesn't really merit its own hate thread?

This artist is somehow fundamentally unable to understand some basic truths about human interaction and how his work is perceived by his audience. That's been going on for a while, and I don't see it changing any time soon.

At this point, calling out each individual page for its faults feels less like artistic criticism and more like ganging up on a mentally-ill or neuroatypical person for being "weird."

You remotely diagnosing Mookie as mentally ill or neurodivergant is 1000x more offensive than anything we're doing in this thread. Not that I can speak for everyone and all posts ever, but most of us see Mookie as a deeply cringey bad writer with bizarre hangups, not as someone who is mentally ill.

But now that this has been brought up it's probably going to cause YET ANOTHER waterfall of debate over the morality of the existence of mock threads on SA and attract posters to the thread who want to shut it down. Hooray.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, can we not do the "he's written something sorta offensive and has some gross ideas, therefore he is mentally ill and above reproach" thing?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm mentally ill and probably on the spectrum (AFAB people are terribly underdiagnosed) and I write sometimes. Sometimes it's kind of dumb, and sometimes it's a bit navel-gazey. I do not write long pointless stories about women being whores ruining the lives of the heroic men in their lives, because I am not a lovely person. Being mentally ill or neurodivergent does not directly cause you to have terrible opinions, nor does it make you exempt from criticism for them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Eight-Six posted:

You're wrong

I don't hate this

It is a joy to see each bizarre narrative juke

This is one of the few webcomics I still read lol.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I'm mentally ill and having one of my old lovely webcomics criticized by a roving band of goons was what originally drew me to SA

also one of the contributing factors to me actually improving, as both an artist and a writer

Mookie refusing to hear criticism doesn't mean people are obligated to stop criticizing him

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Yeah pretty sure this thread trudges on entirely due to the fact that Mookie's incapable of improvement and keeps writing the same morbidly fascinating trainwreck. The legacy just does it very, very slowly.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It is a fascinating trainwreck for me.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I'm mentally ill and having one of my old lovely webcomics criticized by a roving band of goons was what originally drew me to SA

also one of the contributing factors to me actually improving, as both an artist and a writer

Mookie refusing to hear criticism doesn't mean people are obligated to stop criticizing him

(your current one is very good, btw, I stumbled on it through your avatar/text. I identify with the lead more than I'd like to admit.)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

this is a pretty hosed up view of mental illness you have, as someone suffering with mental illness myself

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Mookie isn't mentally ill for fetishizing the Ray Stanz Ghost Blowjob scene from Ghostbusters. It's just fun to dunk on him for drawing attention to it and rationalizing it in his work

Honestly I look forward to each new page because it consistently defies any standard narrative convention . It's fascinatingly brilliant in how boring yet unpredictable it is.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 8, 2021

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i feel like this thread does indeed have a lot of mentally ill webcomic authors in it (hello) but i do not think that mookie is one of them

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Being a creep isn't a mental illness good lord.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Generally armchair diagnosis of people is a bad idea. I'd advise not pathologising DSM levels of issues onto someone just because they make us constantly cringe.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
In fairness, while being a creep isn't a mental illness, I kind of feel like lacking a theory of mind while being a grown adult might be. Most of Mookie's issues are that he's a shitlib, lazy, a terrible writer, not creative, creepy, and arrogant, but like the lack of theory of mind his work displays - something you don't see even in loving Sonichu or from what I can recall Axe Cop - kind of does speak to something weird going on.

But who knows. None of know Mookie well enough to really try and diagnose him, anyway. All we have is his 'art,' his blog postings and tweets, some anecdotal stories and brief encounters, and his accidentally leaked spank bank from his older site.

TL;DR: None of us know Mookie well enough to diagnose him. And even if we did, the morally objectionable issues in his works would be independent of any mental issues he may or may not have. Arrested development can explain why he lacks a theory of mind, but not why he thinks 'sexy rapist' is a good idea.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is not mental illness, it’s writer’s block. Specifically it’s one of those things where you have a premise but can’t ultimately think of anywhere to go with it, so you put it in a drawer and go work on something else. But Mookie has nothing else so he’s stuck improvising on a theme and working in a format he ran out of material for a short ways in.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Mookie doesn't lack a theory of mind, he's just writing the equivalent of an extended whack fantasy. Characters in whack fantasies lack internality not because the writer lacks a theory of mind, they lack internality because they're tissue-paper thin narrative contrivances designed to satisfy a wish-fulfillment fantasy.

This is all embarrassing and stupid and it's very bad art, but it's not evidence that Mookie lacks a theory of mind any more than we can conclude the creators of "big rear end latina teen chased by lesbian loving TREX on a hoverboard then hosed" lack a theory of mind.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mookie strikes me as the sort of person who, if he were actually diagnosed with a mental disorder, would be sure to let everyone know about it.

Which is not to say that that's a bad thing, I just don't think he would keep it a secret at all.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Mookie strikes me as the sort of person who, if he were actually diagnosed with a mental disorder, would be sure to let everyone know about it.

Which is not to say that that's a bad thing, I just don't think he would keep it a secret at all.

he would create a character with depression or anxiety, but they would use that as a fuel for their super powerful magic and actually be a "badass"

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Moola posted:

he would create a character with depression or anxiety, but they would use that as a fuel for their super powerful magic and actually be a "badass"

This reminds me, which came first the legacy or "The sound of metal"? Not having seen it, That strikes me as a movie that he would obsess over

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Rand Brittain posted:

as a neurodivergent and mentally ill weirdo artist I say this from the bottom of my heart: dont ever say poo poo like this

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I honestly think he doesn't lack a theory of mind, it's just laziness. It's easier to move a story along when all the characters know what you need them to in order to move forward, and he's not interested in dramatic ironies or any of the other stuff you get from characters having their own perspective on things. This man could never write a Frasier episode.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I think it's even a step beyond laziness and he's such an explosively bad writer that when he sits down to draw a comic he forgets what characters know and shouldn't know.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I think it's that, yeah. Since he doesn't plan out his stories in advance and writes them on the fly, he just forgets that characters shouldn't know certain things, and having them just know it makes it easier for him to write. Like when Dominic gets upset that the cattlebasters are going to replace the Knights of Callan, it's just his way of letting the audience know "These guys are going to be bad, and Dominic is super smart because he already knows they're bad" despite the fact he has no reason to think they're bad at that point.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Yeah nothing implies he lacks theory of mind in like, day to day life.

It is very, very possible to fail to express in your writing traits or awareness you have in day to day life. Everything about the author's writing style and approach points to him being a bad enough writer to create weird disjunctions, by failing to plan, by wanting instantaneous narrative payoffs, by being unable to handle the possibility that anyone might misunderstand his protagonists unless they're awful monsters.

One's writing doesn't directly represent one's manner in day to day life, but might express one's beliefs and thoughts more directly than one's learned manners.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Sorry y'all, my neuroatypicality maps 100% onto Mookie. I just can't stop the intrusive thoughts about sexy dead ladies having puns made about them. We should put kid gloves for the guy who wonders every time he draws Snout "is the DEAF patch necessary in this frame?"

Also wait, why is he deaf? Have we ever really asked that? Why a magical fantasy world with electric guitars and resurrection spells and ink space ships has no magical cochlear equivalent or advanced spell of lip reading?

Douche Wolf 89 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 9, 2021

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well, you see, magic has changed, so they can't heal deafness. Just raise the dead.

Unless it's a cheating whore, then it won't work.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Sorry y'all, my neuroatypicality maps 100% onto Mookie. I just can't stop the intrusive thoughts about sexy dead ladies having puns made about them. We should put kid gloves for the guy who wonders every time he draws Snout "is the DEAF patch necessary in this frame?"

Also wait, why is he deaf? Have we ever really asked that? Why a magical fantasy world with electric guitars and resurrection spells and ink space ships has no magical cochlear equivalent or advanced spell of lip reading?

at first I was going to say that theres a community/way of thinking that says deafness isnt a disability that always needs to be healed or "repaired" because deaf people arent broken in the first place, but thats way too nuanced for mookie. Hand waving away disability through magic is exactly what I would expect from him. I think snout's deafness is 100% because Mookie thought it was cool conceptually to do a no-dialogue comic and totally missed the fact that deaf people can read lips, and dont communicate strictly through writing on big white boards they carry hung around their necks.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
It's definitely cause he thought it was cool conceptually, plus back in Mongreltown Mookie showed Snout so desperate to cure his deafness that he drank earwax remover, so probly not coming at it from the angle of Snout feeling his deafness doesn't need to be "fixed"

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Snout can't read lips because he grew up in an isolated cave where the only being he associated with was an eyeball tentacle librarian with no lips. And, since he had no parents and sprang fully-formed from the sludge that drips off the cave ceiling, he was never taught anything. He's deaf because Mookie wanted a disabled protagonist to fit his no-dialogue gimmick and he put no further thought into it and didn't research deaf culture at all. Maybe there's magic that can fix it, or modern neo-callanian technology, or anything else, but we've already met 100% of the people Snout has ever met in his entire life and none of them brought EarHealer 5000 with them this week so he's just out of luck.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Snout emerging from the earth fully formed 15 minutes before the first strip
https://i.imgur.com/q1fdPCw.mp4

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Bismuth posted:

Snout emerging from the earth fully formed 15 minutes before the first strip
https://i.imgur.com/q1fdPCw.mp4

:stonk:

jesus christ that's unsettling

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

:stonk:

jesus christ that's unsettling

whats more unsettling is that gif is reversed!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bismuth posted:

whats more unsettling is that gif is reversed!

this motherfucker's trying to do a reverse amigara

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Bismuth posted:

at first I was going to say that theres a community/way of thinking that says deafness isnt a disability that always needs to be healed or "repaired" because deaf people arent broken in the first place, but thats way too nuanced for mookie. Hand waving away disability through magic is exactly what I would expect from him. I think snout's deafness is 100% because Mookie thought it was cool conceptually to do a no-dialogue comic and totally missed the fact that deaf people can read lips, and dont communicate strictly through writing on big white boards they carry hung around their necks.

Yeah I'm pretty firmly in the "many things are not disabilities, but made so by society, accessibility, government, etc" camp myself. It's more that nothing about the characters ever interacts with or is affected by the world. Snout will never give a monologue about why he chose not to drink a magical hearing potion, because Mookie has never thought about deafness outside of a hook (to promptly drop) for the comic and a sympathy detail for Snout.