Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wasn't able to tell by the end of the flight, how does the shock rifle actually work against vehicles? It seems like it's a random chance or some sort of build up maybe? One time one shot stunned one, the other time it took three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did they have any new music for this flight?

How's the BTB? I tried playing some Reach BTB last night and it was pure pain even with AR starts. The maps are too drat big for 8v8 matches and the vehicles are overtuned.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Arc Hammer posted:

How's the BTB? I tried playing some Reach BTB last night and it was pure pain even with AR starts. The maps are too drat big for 8v8 matches and the vehicles are overtuned.

I enjoyed Infinite BTB more than MCC. 12 vs 12 feels right for it. My main issue is purely that PC performance is incredibly bad and makes no sense when the Series X is having no problems hitting 120 fps.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

I loved it, chaotic but not too spammy since CTF and Control Point have offense and defense.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Total Control is a really fun gamemode undermined by the average pubbie not understanding how to attack OR defend lmao

So many suicide warthog charges

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
12 v 12 sounds like it could fix the larger maps and make small map BTB into crazy chaos.

I hope they fix the performance stuff. My PC is getting a little long in the tooth so I hope my 1070 doesn't chug too much.

How does the enemy outline work compared to team colors? It looks a little too overwhelming visually that it defeats the purpose of showing off your custom colors.

Something I would have gone with instead of outlines would be to change the color of the shield emitters on the armor. Instead of all the little blue glowies, make them blue team glowies and red team glowies. Killzone 2 and 3 did that and it was a really good way to pick out enemy targets in multiplayer.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Arc Hammer posted:

12 v 12 sounds like it could fix the larger maps and make small map BTB into crazy chaos.

I hope they fix the performance stuff. My PC is getting a little long in the tooth so I hope my 1070 doesn't chug too much.

How does the enemy outline work compared to team colors? It looks a little too overwhelming visually that it defeats the purpose of showing off your custom colors.

Something I would have gone with instead of outlines would be to change the color of the shield emitters on the armor. Instead of all the little blue glowies, make them blue team glowies and red team glowies. Killzone 2 and 3 did that and it was a really good way to pick out enemy targets in multiplayer.

Having custom primary armor colors in team games is a terrible choice. That being said, I set the outlines to "cotton candy" to help me visually distinguish folks better.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I really hope you can turn teammate outlines off - its pretty jarring. Maybe squad only.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

kri kri posted:

I really hope you can turn teammate outlines off - its pretty jarring. Maybe squad only.

Just be colorblind and set it to the color that you can't see :science:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Playing more Competitive Halo 4 and I think 6v6 would be a good replacement for 4v4 games going forward. Having two extra players gives things more chaos.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

There seems to be a space for 6v6 but I’m assuming they are sticking to 4v4 for the esports

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Make Esports it's own dumb category then so everyone else can have fun.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Make Esports it's own dumb category then so everyone else can have fun.

Agreed. And I don’t know if that’s actually the reason, just a guess.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Agreed on the chaos sentiment and yeah, they should just hide esports in a little category that's really tiny and hidden away so fun seeking people don't select it by accident. That sand map is good but feels way too big for 4v4.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Forge leaks
https://twitter.com/HaloNoticiasMX/status/1446297813017669647?t=a_0H_UVBcTtb9gLlD6wPsQ&s=19

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New blog post about ranked and competitive play.

In short, Ranked/Comp is different to Casual in the following ways:
Starting weapon is BR (no secondary weapon like casual's magnum)
No Motion Tracker
No Grenade Hitmarkers
Friendly Fire enabled
Static spawn locations/intervals
Modes are Slayer, CTF, Strongholds and Oddball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0vHo4Nf3Fg&t=89s

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

So this means that friendly fire is never going to be a thing on social multiplayer? Is this the first confirmation of that or did I miss it the first time.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Does that imply there will not be ranked MM without BR start and no radar? That'd be a shame, I enjoy ranked modes but definitely am not interested in what they describe in that article.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008

The Kins posted:

New blog post about ranked and competitive play.

In short, Ranked/Comp is different to Casual in the following ways:
Starting weapon is BR (no secondary weapon like casual's magnum)
No Motion Tracker
No Grenade Hitmarkers
Friendly Fire enabled
Static spawn locations/intervals
Modes are Slayer, CTF, Strongholds and Oddball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0vHo4Nf3Fg&t=89s

This is looking so good.Traversal is looking fantastic.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

One thing I hope they do is ramp up the physics on things before launch, you don't go flying nearly as much it feels like except for a grav hammer bonk

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I forget where I saw it but there's a great clip of someone doing a flag run on the BTB map by throwing a fusion coil off the man cannon and grappling onto it to go flying across the entire map.

Also I never knew you could use the sword to propel yourself into the air like they do in that competitive video posted above :stare:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
PC features trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fax-YPAvuq0

One neat feature they mention that I haven't heard them mention before is that the PC version will let you set up dedicated LAN servers that can be connected to by consoles for old-school LAN parties. Also, according to an accompanying blog post, raytracing will be coming post-launch via AMD's solution so it won't be GeForce-exclusive.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/halo/status/1452427803241054212?s=21

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Finally!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCbMVbeKlCg

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"How many guns do you need?"
"Two usually"

e: Where's Craig

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 25, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Looks good. Still hoping that we get at least a little more information on how the Infinity got its rear end kicked by the Banished rather than starting in medias res and relying on more books to fill in the gaps. Again.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

RBA Starblade posted:

"How many guns do you need?"
"Two usually"

e: Where's Craig

At 5:05 when the narrator says "return of old favorites"

I noticed one enemy had shield and health bars floating above them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

OhFunny posted:

I noticed one enemy had shield and health bars floating above them.

The leak from a few months back indicated that there are Brute minibosses this time around. Looks like they've got health bars.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

OhFunny posted:

That got a laugh out of me.

I think this looks pretty good. I'm excited.

Also:
"You're safe now"

Proceeds to drive off cliff

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OhFunny posted:

lmao excellent

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Cool, the new Cortana is…a dumbass?

Game looks jank, but fun jank. Hoping we get a fair bit more environment variation than they’ve shown off though. I love the timberland look and it’s iconic and all, but the best thing about the setting of a Halo is that you can go from there to the desert to the tropics to the glaciers like nothing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The campaign looks okay, more of the same but I guess its more open world now. I just really care about the multiplayer and am most excited for that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

skasion posted:

Cool, the new Cortana is…a dumbass?

Literally a child AI. Cortana is based off of Halsey's brain. In one of the books last year Chief went back to Reach to retrieve brain tissue samples from Halsey's old lab so they could make a new AI and this one isn't even a year old. No time to develop a sassy personality yet.

Veotax posted:

"You're safe now"

Proceeds to drive off cliff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA9IoJA3YD0

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 25, 2021

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
The structure of the campaign looks pretty interesting.

Text from the Tacmap:

quote:

FOB Golf
When controlled, Forward Operating Bases reveal Banished and UNSC activity in the surrounding region, serve as fast travel hubs and rally points for UNSC Marine fire support, and provide access to vehicle drops, weapons, and weapon variants. Gaining Valor unlocks available resources at all captured FOBs. Defeat the Banished and access the control terminal to claim this FOB.
Does this suggest we can get Marine backup at will? Interesting. And what are weapon variants? Stuff like the legendary weapons from 5?

I wonder if Valor is a spendable currency or just an experience bar that accumulates. Wording implies the latter.

Text from upgrades:

quote:

Grappleshot
A retractable hook for personal transportation and retrieving objects.

Shield Core
An enhanced shield module that increases capacity to 115% of base shield strength.

Threat Sensor
A scout projectile that tracks enemies through walls and terrain.

Drop Wall
A single-sided deployable shield providing instant cover from enemy fire.

Thruster
A module that activates short bursts of directional movement to evade attacks.

Afterburner
Adds a second charge to your thruster.

Thermal Control
Reduces Thruster cooldown by 20%.

Impulse
Adds significant power to the Thruster, allowing further and faster travel.

Escape Velocity
Adds a personal cloak effect to Thruster, lasting 4 seconds after activation.
Nothing too shocking, but being able to active camo for short bursts is cool. I hadn't heard about upgradable shields or enemy tracking.

Will open-world Halo work? Hopefully. It doesn't look too big (which is good, sandbox games can wear out their welcome if they're samey and copypastey). I note the Tacmap says "Area Collectables" at the bottom, which suggests there's more than one playable region. So far we've just seen the pine forest.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 25, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Active camo during the Arbiter levels on Halo 2 was a great way to cheese through those drat Flood levels. Happy to see that coming back for more shenanigans.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ngl when I saw FOB Golf on the map I thought we were going to get a golfing minigame.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

SettingSun posted:

Ngl when I saw FOB Golf on the map I thought we were going to get a golfing minigame.

You should see FOB Romeo

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SettingSun posted:

Pretty sure Reach already had that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Craig's grown out a beard.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 26, 2021