Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Scholtz posted:

4: the teleporter hand thingy being up in the cliff was a bit obtuse, and I only found it by accident when I turned around on the raft while focusing.
I'm not sure I'm imagining the right part here, but: the relevant burned slides show going to the extinguishing place from the two-way raft, so once I found the two-way raft I immediately found the relevant hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, much like most things in the game it's intentionally hard to stumble on by chance but there is a clue that will clearly show it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I... Did the whole thing without encountering a single hostile owl in the dreamscape.

Thank god. I've been reading this thread waiting for someone else to have solved the game closer to how I did it, and who legit doesn't have any issue with "bullshit stealth sections" bc there weren't any. I kind of think this route is one mostly because the whole game is unravelable once you discover the dark-raft-transition thing. It's the very first sleepy world you can enter and there's only two thing to do in that area, get stuck on a raft going in a circle of a weird tour of the darkness with poo poo you can't reach in the background... or apply the tutoprial stuff they're teaching you in that moment. You learn to use the blow-statue thing to turn off these lights, which then leads you to another one that summons the raft. The raft has four candles on it and a light orb for you to focus on to make it go fast. Almost immediately after getting on the raft, you're taken through a pitch dark cave... oh where have you seen absolute darkness be a thing before, was it not, this very game?! Of course, lights off, bing bong, solve the puzzle!

This route immediately shows you the big coffin, the three symbols, the code dials, and blows of the first one or leads you to a secret archives, supposedly back entrance. The codes are a distraction, but you're still aware you gotta do two more things to get past the red guard bridge. One of the first things I tried after sneaking and hiding my light and walking backwards was to set lamp down and walk away without it to see if that fooled the guards. It does not, but it's an experiment I imagine a significant portion of people would do eventually which exposes the glitch world stuff. I'm even surprised that one took me more than 1 trip into dreamworld to discover. One of the first things I did there was set my lantern down to see if I could shoot probes.

Anyway, I just think they should remove the tutorial hints for the "big secret" if it's really meant to be something you acquire the complicated way that explains it via reel.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Khanstant posted:

Anyway, I just think they should remove the tutorial hints for the "big secret" if it's really meant to be something you acquire the complicated way that explains it via reel.

They should remove all exposition and just force players to intuit what they need to do to finish.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cojawfee posted:

They should remove all exposition and just force players to intuit what they need to do to finish.

No joke but I think I probably would have enjoyed things more that way than with the slide reels. Aside from the hidden painting paths, everything else is pretty easily attainable through experimentation and observation and putting together what you know and exploring the areas you still don't, and with some tweaks that one bit easily could have been discoverable too.

quote:

The raft has four candles on it and a light orb for you to focus on to make it go fast. Almost immediately after getting on the raft, you're taken through a pitch dark cave... oh where have you seen absolute darkness be a thing before, was it not, this very game?! Of course, lights off, bing bong, solve the puzzle!
Just so you're aware, "lights off" isn't the solution to this puzzle, and just sort of incidentally caused you to stumble into the solution.

quote:

It's the very first sleepy world you can enter and there's only two thing to do in that area, get stuck on a raft going in a circle of a weird tour of the darkness with poo poo you can't reach in the background... or apply the tutoprial stuff they're teaching you in that moment. You learn to use the blow-statue thing to turn off these lights, which then leads you to another one that summons the raft. The raft has four candles on it and a light orb for you to focus on to make it go fast. Almost immediately after getting on the raft, you're taken through a pitch dark cave... oh where have you seen absolute darkness be a thing before, was it not, this very game?! Of course, lights off, bing bong, solve the puzzle!

Uh... there's a LOT more to do in that area than those "two things". You make hidden bridges appear, you encounter your first patrolling owl folks, you follow them through their secret underground caves, you can get locked into a building with a bunch of them, you have a bunch of teleporter hand thingies you can learn how to use. There's quite a bit going on there beyond just the raft.

haveblue posted:

Yeah, much like most things in the game it's intentionally hard to stumble on by chance but there is a clue that will clearly show it

Stumbling onto that was what first made me realize how the hands work. You've got a two way raft with nothing of interest on either end when all the other dream rafts are one way, that implied to me there was something along the route so I looked around as I went, and of course if you look at the very noticeable mysterious chasm in the wall with a focused light it falls on the hand and sucks you up. Prior to that I'd seen them but hadn't thought to focus my light on them from sufficient distance (I'd focused it up close several times and it did nothing so I thought it did nothing)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 8, 2021

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I love the raft glitch because the first time I went through those areas I thought, "this feels like a loading zone. That doesn't make sense." since I thought I was in a memory or another planet.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

mastajake posted:

I love the raft glitch because the first time I went through those areas I thought, "this feels like a loading zone. That doesn't make sense." since I thought I was in a memory or another planet.

I straight up thought drat outer wilds devs, you know that there's smoother loading screen tricks these days.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Uh... there's a LOT more to do in that area than those "two things". You make hidden bridges appear, you encounter your first patrolling owl folks, you follow them through their secret underground caves, you can get locked into a building with a bunch of them, you have a bunch of teleporter hand thingies you can learn how to use. There's quite a bit going on there beyond just the raft.
I can understand this at least, because the first like 6 runs I spent in there I somehow zeroed in on the hand warp to sneaky island and was unaware there was anything else in there. Until I accidentally turned the other way and totally destroyed my mental map of the place and had to spend another couple runs groping around in the dark to even figure out how to heck to get back to the area I'd already been in. The darkness is atmospheric but it's mostly just a pain the rear end for getting any kind of understanding of what is going on until you figure out the matrix thing but that's quite clunky also

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Arrhythmia posted:

I straight up thought drat outer wilds devs, you know that there's smoother loading screen tricks these days.

Have some compassion. The Outer Wilds devs were writing those loading zones over 200,000 years ago! :v:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

No joke but I think I probably would have enjoyed things more that way than with the slide reels. Aside from the hidden painting paths, everything else is pretty easily attainable through experimentation and observation and putting together what you know and exploring the areas you still don't, and with some tweaks that one bit easily could have been discoverable too.

The spoilered thing is also something I think is one of the first things to figure out naturally I think, the game even gives it away to you at certain times. First thing I did finding one of those rooms was to try and match up up number of lanterns to number of lanterns in the painting. Weren't enough, so maybe it's a find some more and bring them here thing... or maybe take them all away, gotta be some reason I can pick em up and there are so many. Unfortunately, the lanterns still light the paintings on proximity if you don't move them far enough away, so it wasn't until drat burst and breaks the lanterns that I actually got inside that first sleep room.

quote:

vOv I felt I wandered around that area pretty good, but between the darkness and the risk of falling in water and it being the first time in that area guess I missed the alternate path. It loads you in with one obvious area of interest, with the introduction to light/shadow mechanics, found by wandering a bit away from obvious point of interest, which draws you back to that wall which leads to raft. I'll load the game back up this weekend and go looking for "the right path" since I missed it and was never given a reason to go lookin. Come to think of it, I discovered the glitch world after that first puzzle so I never actually examined that entrance area glitch-style.

Cojawfee posted:

I kind of think that's how they designed the game in a way, seems like they thought of all the things the game's systems and mechanics can do, which ones were never invoked in the original, or require some lateral thinking or unusual applications of things. Like dying, you die a lot in the base game, you often kill yourself to reset because of the game's structure, but the game itself never utilizes dying itself as a puzzle mechanic. Same for sleep basically. One thing I'm surprised they didn't really manage to work in was marshmallows or roast timing. I ate marshmallows of every quality at each of the fireplaces before I even thought to waste any time with napping option. Other stuff seems like application of things largely invisible to us, but probably more present on their end, like having to simulate or load distant stuff if your ship or probe are located away from your body, the lantern/matrix thing is a tinier version of the difference between loading the graphics, and loading what they need to for distant sim consistency away from user. Darkness they used before to teleport you, which they didn't really do differently here, but couched it differently with the same functional principle.

I definitely think the whole DLC would be completable with experimentation and testing poo poo out, entirely reel-less. I kind of think they added the code pedestals to that final coffin area specifically because they knew players could get there early, and if they did, they could immediately just test all the possible things to try in that area, which would lead them to one more solution, the glitch bridge. Teaching death-entrance, if not discovered incidentally during a suicide-reset via fire, could be taught with an entrance that wakes you up when dam breaks from jostling, doesn't extinguish, but you're trapped in the room from debris. You either wait, re-sleep, or kill self and the latter teaches you the thing. Really, to make the reel and intended path more reliable, I think they'd just have to figure out a different puzzle for the cave that they didn't already teach you as a thing to try in base game. Like, something I never saw used but assumed was a thing, is in some areas there are circle metal plates on the ground, that seem like you should want to set something down there or otherwise use.

To fix the shadow raft cave from being a tutorial instead of a final puzzle, I reckon something like summoning a raft that you move towards the cave by setting your lantern down on the ground, facing the raft orb. Have this push the raft into the cave, far enough to be in glitch world, which then causes the glitchy transition if you blow out the techno candles or something.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I honestly would never have, without prompting, figured out that sleeping next to the fire while holding the artifact did anything at all. I thought the rooms were purely ornamental and figured that the developers put the option to sleep there purely to time skip, which I would never have done (let alone holding a lantern) because I always skip using the Timber Hearth fire before taking off. If there hadn’t been slide reels explicitly showing the Strangers sleeping by the fire while holding the lantern then I would have eventually had to come here to ask for the solution.

Same with putting down the lantern. I did check to see if it could be put down within the first five minutes of discovering the dark world, but it never would have naturally occurred to me to walk away from the only light source and means of interacting with the world I had available to me. I might have figured out the loading glitch might on my own, but only once I had been told the dark world was a simulation with exploitable glitches.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I don't think I would have figured out any of the puzzles without the clues the game provides.

Why would I jump off the boat? Falling into the water makes me wake up.
Why would I die? Dying resets the loop.
Why would I put down the lantern? It's what lets me see.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Arrhythmia posted:

In my case, exactly for that reason. I was giving up on a run and jumped into the water to put out my lantern, and just happened to serendipitously time it during a transition screen.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Arrhythmia posted:

I don't think I would have figured out any of the puzzles without the clues the game provides.

A lot of people seem to have stumbled into this because they threw themselves into the fire to die and reset the loop but I always use the meditation from the main menu and wouldn't have thought of it without the reel. Maybe they had been staring at the fire for a loop without understanding what they needed to do and tossed themselves into it since they started hearing the supernova music and a source of death was conveniently nearby.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

Yeah and it seems pretty deliberate how far away you need to actually walk to trigger it, like just a little bit further than the radius it lights up to make it incredibly unlikely that you do it by accident. I did, because I was trying to look at something from a different angle but I also half expected to just get jacked out if I put it down or got too far away from it, considering how important the lantern is to staying in the dream otherwise.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

homeless snail posted:

Yeah and it seems pretty deliberate how far away you need to actually walk to trigger it, like just a little bit further than the radius it lights up to make it incredibly unlikely that you do it by accident. I did, because I was trying to look at something from a different angle but I also half expected to just get jacked out if I put it down or got too far away from it, considering how important the lantern is to staying in the dream otherwise.

My discovery of it was can't blow out my lantern if I'm not holding it when you find me!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Scholtz posted:

My discovery of it was can't blow out my lantern if I'm not holding it when you find me!

Exactly the same here lol

Moving outside was so weird I thought it actually wasn't intended at first and ran back lmao just shows how good a job they did with the 'rendering' choices

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 8, 2021

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Sooo they making an outer wilds 2 soon or ..?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Similar games to this I can think of are subnautica 1, the la mulana games, but nothing as elegant and distilled as this

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Someone mentioned not carrying the lantern, but I grabbed that thing every single loop the entire game as soon as I found it, just became part of the default entrance to the area, like flying to the station and getting inside. At first because I wanted to figure out what it did or how to suck the fire into it, later because you need it pretty much every time.

Arrhythmia posted:

You don't jump off the boat. You blow out the candles on the boat and close your light in the suspiciously long dark cave.

You were trying to be somewhere before or at a certain time and missed it, and that was all you had planned for this loop and not enough time to feel like exploring randomly. IN my case, I knew the power seemed to flicker at some point, I thought being somewhere specific when that happened would help me progress, I missed that window and needed to retry, reset loop.

There are areas where it seemed to me the puzzle solution might have been to aim the lantern somewhere and set it down. You also know complete darkness can do *something* in this game. The lantern also sucks at lighting and is only marginally better than wandering blindly in total darkness. You also can only hold one thing at a time and you'd put it down to try and pull out probe.

Can't usually use other tools when holding lantern.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 8, 2021

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Khanstant posted:

You don't jump off the boat. You blow out the candles on the boat and close your light in the suspiciously long dark cave.

You do jump off the boat even then actually, blowing out all the candles causes the boat to despawn. This happens even if you're not in the cave, in both cases you just drop into the water. The slide reel also definitely shows the glitch as someone stepping off the boat, not turning off the lights.

Blowing out all the lights on the raft was the very first thing I did when one showed up and it just made the raft disappear and dropped me into the water lol

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

UP AND ADAM posted:

Similar games to this I can think of are subnautica 1, the la mulana games, but nothing as elegant and distilled as this

return of the obra dinn is very different but it’s got some of the same investigatory appeal imo

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It would have taken me a very long time to sleep at the green fire to get into the other world. All of my initial forays into there involved me killing myself on the fire as that's what the rest of the game had taught me fires are for, efficiently killing yourself. I think it wasn't until I found the testing lab with the reel showing the antler owls going back and forth that I realized they weren't killing themselves.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Khanstant posted:

You jumped off the boat by making there be no boat.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I would never have figured out any of those things without the game giving me instructions.

Ciaphas posted:

give the hearthians this much, their ships are ramshackle death traps but boy do they know how to make real strong chemical thrusters

Hearthian ships are hardcore. They can sustain ~10g of acceleration apparently indefinitely, work perfectly under deep water just as well as they do in space and have no trouble flying within 1 meter of the surface of the Sun. And the ship's computer, like I say, is suspiciously well-informed.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
OK so after several sessions of Echoes of the Eye I have hit an unfortunate snag where I just do not know what is left to find.

Spoilers, but here's what my ships log looks like now, in imgur post form:

https://imgur.com/a/AP7Rfc2

As you can see the only place that shows anything left to explore is the Reservoir but I SWEAR I've been all over the water and in all of the houses there including the bathysphere and the dream area in the bathysphere, unless I've missed something there.

I've done all three (out of ??? not sure) sneaking sections and I've also jumped off the boat in the "loading zone" in the dream world, resulting in being able to remove one of the locks. I looked all over that area but otherwise could find nothing else useful.

I am also at this point assuming that the three totems with passwords are just red herrings since I have only found password tablets that are burned out and unreadable

Some notes, I do not know the name of the species of the stranger's inhabitants[/spoilers] and I cannot [spoilers]read the language (Yet? Do not confirm, please!)

I'd appreciate any hints about what I might be missing at the Reservoir.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Doom Mathematic posted:

I would never have figured out any of those things without the game giving me instructions.

Hearthian ships are hardcore. They can sustain ~10g of acceleration apparently indefinitely, work perfectly under deep water just as well as they do in space and have no trouble flying within 1 meter of the surface of the Sun. And the ship's computer, like I say, is suspiciously well-informed.

look i've died in the thing over a hundred times, i think i know my deathtraps, ok???? :colbert:

in less of a shitpost, wow the Deep Impact achievement's even harder than I realized :psyduck: how loving far do I gotta go?

(e) there, got it that time, at a shorter distance even. saved by floating point error, maybe

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 8, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Khanstant posted:

I kind of think that's how they designed the game in a way, seems like they thought of all the things the game's systems and mechanics can do, which ones were never invoked in the original, or require some lateral thinking or unusual applications of things. Like dying, you die a lot in the base game, you often kill yourself to reset because of the game's structure, but the game itself never utilizes dying itself as a puzzle mechanic. Same for sleep basically. One thing I'm surprised they didn't really manage to work in was marshmallows or roast timing. I ate marshmallows of every quality at each of the fireplaces before I even thought to waste any time with napping option.

I was surprised and felt a little cheated when I roasted a marshmallow on the fire in the bell and didn't get an achievement.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I was watching a stream of someone playing the dlc, trying to figure out how to light the lantern, sitting it down next to the fire, lighting a marshmallow and then poking the flaming marshmallow inside the lantern. And I'm like drat, you're right that should do something

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I had a great playthrough with almost everything happening in sequence. And I genuinely thought I was experiencing like a Stargate ancient communication stones thing where my consciousness was being zapped into an alien body in a distant solar system right up until seeing the loading glitch reel. The only thing I stumbled into by accident was that I went to sleep with the lantern in my hand because I wanted to pass some time, woke up in spooky dark land and my reaction to that was

Bedshaped posted:

I did a thing and everything got pretty scary so I think I'm done for tonight.

I'm really easily spooked in spook games so completing the dark bits were more about a desperation to avoid conflict and methodically minimise it rather than the frustrating experience of repetition a lot of people are describing. The fear really helped but I can't even go back and replay these sections without still feeling the balls in the back of my throat. Are people who aren't scared of this stuff just always acutely aware they are playing a game or something?

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 8, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

homeless snail posted:

I was watching a stream of someone playing the dlc, trying to figure out how to light the lantern, sitting it down next to the fire, lighting a marshmallow and then poking the flaming marshmallow inside the lantern. And I'm like drat, you're right that should do something

That's the other thing about sleep that's a bit weird, like, is our hearthian instantly falling asleep they close their eyes? I fall asleep really fast, but that's impressive unless they was already exhausted. Does the transfer work the moment you get slightly chill with your eyes closed?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Goodguy3 posted:

OK so after several sessions of Echoes of the Eye I have hit an unfortunate snag where I just do not know what is left to find.

As you can see the only place that shows anything left to explore is the Reservoir but I SWEAR I've been all over the water and in all of the houses there including the bathysphere and the dream area in the bathysphere, unless I've missed something there.

I've done all three (out of ??? not sure) sneaking sections and I've also jumped off the boat in the "loading zone" in the dream world, resulting in being able to remove one of the locks. I looked all over that area but otherwise could find nothing else useful.

I am also at this point assuming that the three totems with passwords are just red herrings since I have only found password tablets that are burned out and unreadable

Some notes, I do not know the name of the species of the stranger's inhabitants[/spoilers] and I cannot [spoilers]read the language (Yet? Do not confirm, please!)

I believe that's not the reservoir but is the place you get to from the reservoir.

And the actual combinations are gone, but they are more symbolic than that. Instead of learning a combination at each place, you learned something else that will be useful. You already figured one out.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Goodguy3 posted:

You're missing a slide reel that shows the owls imprisoning something in the giant bell and lowering it into the water. Given that it looks like you've already explored the bell I don't think it has any new information for you. I think that the reel is in a library that fell into the water, half the library is on land and the other half underwater, but I might be thinking of another reel.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Goodguy3 posted:

On the same side of the Reservoir as the burned control interface there is a building where a portion of the building has fallen off. Did you explore the bit that fell off?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Khanstant posted:

That's the other thing about sleep that's a bit weird, like, is our hearthian instantly falling asleep they close their eyes? I fall asleep really fast, but that's impressive unless they was already exhausted. Does the transfer work the moment you get slightly chill with your eyes closed?

Heathians just fall asleep loving fast. Their home planet has like a 2 minute day/night cycle.

Bedshaped posted:

I'm really easily spooked in spook games so completing the dark bits were more about a desperation to avoid conflict and methodically minimise it rather than the frustrating experience of repetition a lot of people are describing. The fear really helped but I can't even go back and replay these sections without still feeling the balls in the back of my throat. Are people who aren't scared of this stuff just always acutely aware they are playing a game or something?

Games can be creepy right up until I get frustrated. Once some gameplay thing frustrates or annoys me it's hard to trick my brain back into being scared.

uPen fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 8, 2021

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
It's funny to imagine that when Nomai talk about years they mean Timber Hearth years. So their entire civilization was only wiped out a solar year and a half before you set out to explore.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

are there any known tweaks or best bang-for-buck settings to lower to get better performance? my performance in the original game was not always the best but usually maintained 60 FPS, but I just started seeing some of the DLC content and it's running at a choppy <40 a lot of the time at 1080p on a GTX 1080 and i7-8700, which seems like something has to be off.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think people liked her playthrough of Outer Wilds in here. Materwelonz has started up Echoes of the Eye if anyone wants to just watch someone else play. Only one episode so far.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Doom Mathematic posted:

Thank the Nomai for their contributions. :)

Bedshaped posted:

I am not scared of the pursuers because they're not that creepy-looking until they open their mouths, and I know that they don't want to hurt me. It's still tense, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Thank you for the Echoes of the Eye hints. My takeaways are:

There's the one that shows someone dying but still ending up in the dream vr world, so what happens if I singe my toe to death in a green fire with an artifact?

And

I guess at some point the ability to set the artifact down somewhere in the dream world then walk off will be useful? I looked all over the place where you learn about it but only "found" the broken password tablet

No other hints are necessary at the moment, I think?! I hope so, at least.