Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

the pilot for the x-files spin-off was about the government doing 9/11 and it debuted in early 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Absolutely, so much of it just meanders or ends in a wet fart like the stuff with Mulder's sister. Monster-of-the-week episodes are far and away the best. The X Files really started running out of gas around the first feature film but those first 3-4 seasons have tons of awesome episodes

it feels like this with shows nowadays, where some of your better episodes are stuff where everyone's still trying to see what sticks and what doesn't and you get really interesting episodes, rather than everyone settling into their role and going along with the deus ex machina or whatever

Monk fell pretty badly into this and also had these long expositions for all of the characters on the show somehow, so you know that the goofy cop has a band at all times

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think that's Spartacus

Spartacus: Blood and Sand is notable for (in addition to the above) being just absolute dogshit for like the first three or four episodes and then jumping straight to becoming completely loving amazing with pretty much no transition. I don't think I've ever seen the like, before or since.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
podcasts bullied me into binging tv shows I hate

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Centrist Committee posted:

podcasts bullied me into binging tv shows I hate

just watch them at 1.5x with all the silences stripped out

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

you should watch the Sopranos until the theme song gets stuck in your head so bad you go prodromal. then you take a break.

Woke up this morning, drank a mug of cum

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I like the Sopranos, but the description and trailers for Many Saints looked like garbage so I didn't bother with it. After hearing Felix tear it apart, I'm glad I made the right choice.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
it opens in a graveyard with many ghosts talking because it's a Halloween movie

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Without filler episodes we wouldn't have Goku and Piccolo trying to get their drivers licenses.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I started watching Sopranos S1 recently and I've had plenty spoiled for me over the years and that hasn't spoiled my enjoyment in any way
I've never seen it but at this point I've absorbed it all through osmosis from cum town bringing it up multiple times an episode that I feel like I have.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

This Sopranos movie sounds like it would definitely be my sort of trash if I still watched movies, which is to say you probably shouldn’t watch it.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Without filler episodes we wouldn't have Goku and Piccolo trying to get their drivers licenses.

we wouldn't have stompcycles and Krillin somehow being really bad at his job as a cop, despite being the strongest human

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
RIP grubstakers, Elon finally got to them

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Nothus posted:

I like the Sopranos, but the description and trailers for Many Saints looked like garbage so I didn't bother with it. After hearing Felix tear it apart, I'm glad I made the right choice.

I mean it's watchable and dumb-funny but it's absolutely not a good movie

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

inferis posted:

just watch them at 1.5x with all the silences stripped out

now that’s podcasting

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

mastershakeman posted:

you did the right thing. skip ahead and watch the one off episode about the chechen but that's it. after season 2 of sopranos the only real antagonist died irl and tony simply solved every problem with murder after waffling for a while about what to do

I’m going to destroy you

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

a Loving Dog posted:

I’m going to destroy you

Go to the kitchen, take the knife from the ham and stab me right here, in the chest!

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
They were right in that Sopranos is one of the funniest shows ever written.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Danger posted:

"A deeply sardonic look at American life. Captivating. Chilling. Profound in the small things, yet never giving away the plot."

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

i say swears online posted:

hey, ah, Tone, y'know she's only in seventh grade, right?

drat i didn't know they did a sopranos/seinfeld crossover

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
the best x-files episodes were the ones that didn't take themselves seriously like the cops crossover and that christmas episode in the haunted mansion.

my favorite running gag is how incompetent the CSM and his associates are. they get foiled by mulder and scully every other week who somehow still have jobs

Think Less has issued a correction as of 20:50 on Oct 8, 2021

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mastershakeman posted:

i'm not saying he succeeds, i'm saying thats how each season's problems are resolved. he obviously ends up being a jumpy, miserable sack of poo poo looking over his shoulder nonstop while alienating everyone around him. but

s4-ralph cifarretto? tony kills him
s5-cousin tony? tony kills him
s6-phil leotardo? tony orders him killed
s6-christopher moltisanti? tony kills him

richie aprile? well, resolved by itself

This is such an unbelievably stupid read on the show. Do you have some kind of brain injury

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Euphoriaphone posted:

drat i didn't know they did a sopranos/seinfeld crossover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snsHhdfkxI8

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Danger posted:

i was surprised by that when i first watched it because it isn't billed as a comedy but the laughs keep coming all the time
it really is a black comedy-drama

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Think Less posted:

the best x-files episodes were the ones that didn't take themselves seriously like the cops crossover and that christmas episode in the haunted mansion.

my favorite running gag is how incompetent the CSM and his associates are. they get foiled by mulder and scully every other week who somehow still have jobs

the one with the writer POV was the funniest thing in the world to me back in the day

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Because if you watch it that slowly A: you won't finish until well after the current Sopranos craze has died down so you won't be able to talk about it with people and B: If you start watching the show very slowly in this current Sopranos craze, you're guaranteed to get spoiled on it. I've seen tons of Sopranos spoilers and they don't stick because I don't know anything about the show. So if I see a tweet about the time Jimmy the Shoes got shot by Dicky Camarillo, it's meaningless and instantly forgotten. If I started watching the show and got really invested in Dicky Camarillo's journey towards recovery, only to then be spoiled that he falls back into the life by killed Jimmy the Shoes no less, It would be annoying.
absolute psycho poo poo

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Say what you will about the Sopranos, but walking around you house saying “Docta Cusamono” in Tony Soprano voice is entertaining.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
My [28F] boyfriend [29M] of two years will not stop speaking in a fake Italian-American accent and keeps making up foreign words

tl;dr - my boyfriend won't stop speaking in a stupid "tough guy" italian american accent and is starting to make up fake italian-sounding words. i'm really annoyed / worried if this might be a red flag

Okay to preface this, I love my boyfriend and he is a super sweet, nice, smart guy that I feel lucky to have but his behavior lately is freaking me out and makes me worried for the future.

My boyfriend loves movies, especially mob movies. He has all of the Sopranos DVDs at his place and I'm pretty sure he still watches them that way. That's fine, obviously you can watch and enjoy whatever you want. But last week he saw "The Irishman" with some friends and since then he will NOT stop talking in like a fake stereotypical mobster accent. We were in an uber the night after going out to dinner and admittedly the driver was going a little fast but my boyfriend kept muttering things like "Who's this loving guy, huh? Dale Earnhardt Jr over here" and shouting "HO!" as we took corners. He would NOT shut up and even gave the driver a one-star review saying it was about "respect."

Everyone has their quirks, I get it, and they can be what makes someone special. At first it was even kind of cute / funny but I just can't really understand this shift all of a sudden. It's been a week and he continues to make asides in this voice and when he gets drunk he speaks in made up Italian. Like we were having desert at my sister's and he came up to me and said "Hey, ma, I gotta get home and hit the drippini." I'm the DD (I don't drink) so I asked him why he wants to leave and what a drippini is ??? His response was "Ya know, like a shower." Drippini is NOT a word! In ANY language! He also never called me "ma" before ever and now he does it almost all the time. I feel crazy, like is this going to be a permanent feature of his personality now?

I know this sounds incredibly stupid compared to some of other serious issues on here but I am just really nervous about what this means about his personality / mental health. He really is a sweet loving guy with a wonderful family and we have a lot in common but just like, I don't even know how to begin to approach this. I want to tell him off and be like why do you keep doing this voice can you please stop. We don't live together so thankfully it's not a constant thing but like, what if we did and it was?? Is this the kind of thing you just deal with when its someone you love?

EDIT: I just want to add that he's NOT italian at all either so im also worried people will get offended when we're out or something

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Think Less posted:

My [28F] boyfriend [29M] of two years will not stop speaking in a fake Italian-American accent and keeps making up foreign words

tl;dr - my boyfriend won't stop speaking in a stupid "tough guy" italian american accent and is starting to make up fake italian-sounding words. i'm really annoyed / worried if this might be a red flag

Okay to preface this, I love my boyfriend and he is a super sweet, nice, smart guy that I feel lucky to have but his behavior lately is freaking me out and makes me worried for the future.

My boyfriend loves movies, especially mob movies. He has all of the Sopranos DVDs at his place and I'm pretty sure he still watches them that way. That's fine, obviously you can watch and enjoy whatever you want. But last week he saw "The Irishman" with some friends and since then he will NOT stop talking in like a fake stereotypical mobster accent. We were in an uber the night after going out to dinner and admittedly the driver was going a little fast but my boyfriend kept muttering things like "Who's this loving guy, huh? Dale Earnhardt Jr over here" and shouting "HO!" as we took corners. He would NOT shut up and even gave the driver a one-star review saying it was about "respect."

Everyone has their quirks, I get it, and they can be what makes someone special. At first it was even kind of cute / funny but I just can't really understand this shift all of a sudden. It's been a week and he continues to make asides in this voice and when he gets drunk he speaks in made up Italian. Like we were having desert at my sister's and he came up to me and said "Hey, ma, I gotta get home and hit the drippini." I'm the DD (I don't drink) so I asked him why he wants to leave and what a drippini is ??? His response was "Ya know, like a shower." Drippini is NOT a word! In ANY language! He also never called me "ma" before ever and now he does it almost all the time. I feel crazy, like is this going to be a permanent feature of his personality now?

I know this sounds incredibly stupid compared to some of other serious issues on here but I am just really nervous about what this means about his personality / mental health. He really is a sweet loving guy with a wonderful family and we have a lot in common but just like, I don't even know how to begin to approach this. I want to tell him off and be like why do you keep doing this voice can you please stop. We don't live together so thankfully it's not a constant thing but like, what if we did and it was?? Is this the kind of thing you just deal with when its someone you love?

EDIT: I just want to add that he's NOT italian at all either so im also worried people will get offended when we're out or something

Stop doxxing me

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

"Hey, ma, I gotta get home and hit the drippini." Is so good. A person too pure to exist.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
If you aren't constantly making Italian hands, asking where the gabagool is, and calling everything ugatz what are you even doing with your life

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MeatwadIsGod posted:

If you aren't constantly making Italian hands, asking where the gabagool is, and calling everything ugatz what are you even doing with your life

This

selec
Sep 6, 2003

TheMightyBoops posted:

"Hey, ma, I gotta get home and hit the drippini." Is so good. A person too pure to exist.

this guy in 1945: “listen toots, and listen good: let’s leg it to the nest, I need some time in the drizzle box.”

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

inferis posted:

the pilot for the x-files spin-off was about the government doing 9/11 and it debuted in early 2001

I finally watched the pilot on YouTube recently and it was pretty good. as someone who never watched X-Files until after it ended (with the exception of the Burt Reynolds episode), it's too bad The Four Horsemen was cancelled imo

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I haven't listened to it yet but Trueanon is podcasting on location in nyc

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Think Less posted:

https://twitter.com/nycguidovoice/status/698641630509867008

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

my fav episode of xfiles is the one about the Smoking Man cause its all true tbh

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Danger posted:

The one time pauly robs and kills an old woman is one of the funniest and most dark scenes in TV

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Terminal autist posted:

The one time pauly robs and kills an old woman is one of the funniest and most dark scenes in TV

Tony deciding to break the news to Ralph that hes sleeping with his girlfriend while his son is in the ER :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

docbeard posted:

Spartacus: Blood and Sand is notable for (in addition to the above) being just absolute dogshit for like the first three or four episodes and then jumping straight to becoming completely loving amazing with pretty much no transition. I don't think I've ever seen the like, before or since.

I rewatched it a few years ago and imo it's just the first episode that's horrible, episodes 2-3 are improving slowly but you don't notice until episode 4 blows your socks off.

lucky there was an insane amount of top tier titties and hunks to keep people tuned in until the show found its feet.

highly recommended everyone check the first season, it's only 10ish eps and is pretty self contained