Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
commercial trucks are also loving garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Dolphin posted:

like 45 miles and 6 hours to charge

drat that’s not bad. is there a quick charge option like if you get a specialty charger installed

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Don't mind me, just zoomin along on my fossil fuel powered personal transportation device. It's fine though because its not a car

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A Russian troll farm posted:

Don't mind me, just zoomin along on my fossil fuel powered personal transportation device. It's fine though because its not a car

not true. i charge my ebike with a stationary

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

don't mind me just buying into exxon mobiles carbon footprint personal responsibility propaganda

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

two sets of carbon footprints in the sand

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

my ebike is powered by green fish and bird mulching energy

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Do you know how many fossil fuels are burned to assemble one bike

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Dolphin posted:

don't mind me just buying into exxon mobiles carbon footprint personal responsibility propaganda

i said quite clearly that they should be illegal, car-boy

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm powered by fossil fuels because all of my food is transported in trucks, which means my bike is also..... gently caress!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

As a bike rider I want to let the thread know I have a lot of sex.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Take that you car driving freaks.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Sphyre posted:

also i hate to break it to some posters itt but hating ebikes on account of them not being 'real bikes' is a sure sign you view bikes as purely leisure, not transport, which is a symptom of terminal car brain

no they rely on materials and manufacturing that are as detrimental as electric cars

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

ArmZ posted:

no they rely on materials and manufacturing that are as detrimental as electric cars

yes but like 4% as much

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

how many ebikes could you make out of the materials required for just one electric car

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

koch brothers funded posters out!!! of the hate cars thread!!!

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

those plowshares use materials and manufacturing that’s as detrimental as swords u know

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i said quite clearly that they should be illegal, car-boy
what was that whooshing noise

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

the lithium-ion demon must be excised from the earth

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sphyre posted:

how many ebikes could you make out of the materials required for just one electric car

a single ford f150 electric weights 6500 lbs with 1600 lbs of lithium. an average e-bike is like 60 lbs, max that includes like maybe 10 lbs of battery. so either way around 100-150 ebikes per ford just on a materials cost. but they're also far simpler and labor/electronics are even a smaller fraction.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mr. Sharps posted:

those plowshares use materials and manufacturing that’s as detrimental as swords u know

lol

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

1. i hate ebikes and ebikers
2. i cannot refute their utility as a transit option

???

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ebikes should have little antennae that hook up to power lines like trams do

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll go out and burn 20 barrels of crude oil in my back yard right now i don't give a gently caress. it makes no difference. we hate cars as a system not some stupid hippy "I'm gonna save the climate by walking" bullshit

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Sphyre posted:

just did my first ebike grocery shop :c00l:

but why is it sideways

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

?

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Ebikes should have little antennae that hook up to power lines like trams do

my town has extensive overhead lines for electric bus service this idea sounds excellent to me

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

what if we forced all the bikes to be underground for no reason

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
Maybe this is not the case for all e-bikes but for many, you can’t change a flat yourself which is just :wtc:

Also you have to take them to licensed bike shops or whatever .. not all bike shops will service them so you have to have a e-bike shop nearby or drive to get your flat fixed. Oh and I’m sure it costs extra, on top of the tube/tire. Maintaining the beautiful machine that is a bike is a joy to me, so having a “bike mechanic” would suck

These are fixable problems but atm significant enough to deter me from getting one

lil poopendorfer has issued a correction as of 02:37 on Oct 9, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

just make flatproof tires what’s so hard

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

lil poopendorfer posted:

Maybe this is not the case for all e-bikes but for many, you can’t change a flat yourself which is just :wtc:

Also you have to take them to licensed bike shops or whatever .. not all bike shops will service them so you have to have a e-bike shop nearby or drive to get your flat fixed. Oh and I’m sure it costs extra, on top of the tube/tire. A big chunk of the joy of bike ownership is the ease of DIY maintenance, for me

These are fixable problems but atm significant enough to deter me from getting one

every brand I’ve seen uses normal tires and tubes including the one I own :shrug:

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

indigi posted:

just make flatproof tires what’s so hard

Touché. There’s probably something about e-bikes that make tubeless tires non-compatible or some other bullshit like that

E-bikes are fine don’t get me wrong, but that’s why I’m not interested

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Mr. Sharps posted:

every brand I’ve seen uses normal tires and tubes including the one I own :shrug:

Theokotos posted:

Not going to dox myself, but I work in a shop that sells and selectively services ebikes. We often do simple flat fixes for non supported ebikes, but it’s at the discretion of our service writer and we make no promises without seeing the bike. Just getting an ebike in a typical work stand to fix a rear flat is a bastard, much less diagnosing electrical/firmware/etc issues or wrestling with bad designs we’ve never seen before.

Last I’d heard Kozy’s would look at an unfamiliar ebike, but charge a non refundable $200. The list above are great shops, but you should definitely call ahead to check their policies - most places want to help but won’t touch it if they can’t guarantee their work and your safety.

This goon is the source of my opinion and knowledge regarding e-bike maintenance but I’m pretty uninformed on them so I could be way off

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

i will change peoples tires

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is it still really easy to steal and repurpose electric scooters and bikes

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Mr. Sharps posted:

use your legs lazy rear end

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Mr. Sharps posted:

this totally makes sense because swords use batteries and motors but plowshares don't

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

got any more riffs

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004