Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

euphronius posted:

Ok now the game is good again

Sorry again

Glad you’re having fun again fellow bball boy. Good to see your posts again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I need a boss health bar aaahhh

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RBA Starblade posted:

What?

Just a p lol thing to say to the Planet Killer

Are we just ignoring that prior to both planet kills, Samus got her rear end handed to her and had to be saved?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
How do I escape this area, top right of Artaria? I was exploring after getting the charge beam. All doors leading to the right are sensor doors/blocked by indestructible shutters.
All doors leading left are either blocked by shutters or have water/tunnel orientation that you can't slide out of from this direction.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

uPen posted:

How do I escape this area, top right of Artaria? I was exploring after getting the charge beam. All doors leading to the right are sensor doors/blocked by indestructible shutters.
All doors leading left are either blocked by shutters or have water/tunnel orientation that you can't slide out of from this direction.

Top right room has some blocks you can shoot out to get to the top and go right.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Zore posted:

Top right room has some blocks you can shoot out to get to the top and go right.

Ugh I shot a bunch up there looking for hidden blocks, I'll give it another sweep. Thanks.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

SettingSun posted:

There’s a beam-breakable block in that room that’ll open the way.

ok I finally found that on like the 5th time spraying beams all over both zones. I wasn't expecting an easy block right next to one I didn't have the powerup for, both leading to the same part of a room.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
A thing that irrationally annoys me: I habitually shoot the door in save rooms right as I save. In this game, they shut again when saving is complete :mad:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

TaurusOxford posted:

Are we just ignoring that prior to both planet kills, Samus got her rear end handed to her and had to be saved?

I remember this in Super Metroid but I don't remember it in Prime 3.

At any ratethe idea that Samus should somehow be unstoppable and invincible just because she destroyed two planets is pretty hilarious.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
killing the EMMIs is much more tense than avoiding them which I was not expecting

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

euphronius posted:

I need a boss health bar aaahhh

the boss bar is how many missiles you have left

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Endorph posted:

i think its fine, for the protagonist of a video game to come across something stronger than them. i get that other m was weird but its also weird to not allow the protagonist of a video game series to do video game protag stuff just because shes a woman. like if john master chief was told this about some new alien and the gameplay was built around getting owned by it, would anyone accuse that of being a fetish thing, lol.

They weren't the poster being the one weird about Adam. I think this poster's just being steamed at the funnily dickish statement here. :v:

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Bye bye, Kraid I think that's a good time to quit for the day.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i actually wasn't around for Other M but it must have been really bad for people to get acid flashbacks when Adam says "the enemy is strong" lol

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I love all the little flourishes alluding to the earlier games: the soundtrack is chock full of them! Excellent game.

Well, up until the underwater boss. That one suuucked. What a chore.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i actually wasn't around for Other M but it must have been really bad for people to get acid flashbacks when Adam says "the enemy is strong" lol

Other M Adam sucks a whole lot.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's kinda concerning the space government has access to these nigh indestructible murder robots to begin with.

i actually really like the concept behind the EMMI's - they're not war machines, they're state-of-the-art research and survey droids, so of course they'd be borderline indestructible because you'd need them to be if you wanted them to gather samples on a planet with fifty times earth gravity or a planet where the atmosphere was acidic gelatin or something. for that same reason, their tracking and maneuverability skills are top-notch, but they have very little in the way of combat capabilities aside from one horribly fatal move, which is really just an over-enthusiastic DNA extraction

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It was more along the lines of "wow that guy just kicked your rear end, ok I will allow you to use your missiles, which you had the whole time, but weren't allowed to use because I said so, to brutally murder it"

It was bad

Edit: in case you didn't know the way you "lost" your upgrades in that game, as opposed to like getting merked by an exploding elevator or something, was that Adam said you couldn't use your gear until he allowed it because you were too strong and you might hurt the ship

It was *loving stupid*

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

killing the EMMIs is much more tense than avoiding them which I was not expecting

Find somewhere with enough of a vantage point, just keep shooting and hope the faceplate melts while deciding if you need to run and start over... yeah.

I had one of them come at me from a different direction for the final shot, and a LOT faster than I was expecting. Watching the hallway and suddenly it pops up from below, I shriek and fire the killing shot. You can't script a moment like that,

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
oh, okay, I found the bullshit part of the game

the underwater boss can officially kiss my rear end

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

got the gravity suit, gonna stop for the night.
the game continues to be sick as hell.
the purple emmi can eat a dick tho

Feels Villeneuve posted:

lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
man that's like the one boss I didn't have issues on lol. all the others have kicked my rear end

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The enemies and bosses hit like trucks in this game. One of the sub-bosses shot me with a piddly looking bullet for 60 damage.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Blaziken386 posted:

oh, okay, I found the bullshit part of the game

the underwater boss can officially kiss my rear end

it took me way too long to notice the big red buttons but once I figured that out it was like the easiest boss so far

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Samus has been cursed with an AI companion who's says the world's most obvious poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bruceski posted:

Find somewhere with enough of a vantage point, just keep shooting and hope the faceplate melts while deciding if you need to run and start over... yeah.

I had one of them come at me from a different direction for the final shot, and a LOT faster than I was expecting. Watching the hallway and suddenly it pops up from below, I shriek and fire the killing shot. You can't script a moment like that,

The one in the partially flooded zone was cool because the "solution" was figuring out that it will walk on ceilings toward you too

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Lemming posted:

It was more along the lines of "wow that guy just kicked your rear end, ok I will allow you to use your missiles, which you had the whole time, but weren't allowed to use because I said so, to brutally murder it"

It was bad

Edit: in case you didn't know the way you "lost" your upgrades in that game, as opposed to like getting merked by an exploding elevator or something, was that Adam said you couldn't use your gear until he allowed it because you were too strong and you might hurt the ship

It was *loving stupid*

The timing of the Varia Suit still baffles me. Not immediately as she enters the really hot area, but when she's about to be swallowed up by a massive magma fish.

Her AC unit shouldn't affect the ship or anyone around her so why even restrict it?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The timing of the Varia Suit still baffles me. Not immediately as she enters the really hot area, but when she's about to be swallowed up by a massive magma fish.

Her AC unit shouldn't affect the ship or anyone around her so why even restrict it?

iirc this was a localization issue. in the original japanese samus waits to activate the varia out of raw spite

which is dumb in a different way, really

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I have played an absurd amount today and it truly feels like Metroid now, because I can handily murder every single regular enemy all over the large and intricate map, but I have no loving clue where I’m supposed to go next.

That’s the true Metroid experience.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Finished the game, game was good. Only minor complaint is that the boss health pools seemed to be tuned for countering, so you can be good at countering and see the exact same "counter" cinematic a bunch or you can be bad at it and take all day and night whittling the boss to death until the last one that seems to have a hard invulnerability at set damage between P1 and P2 that requires you to counter him through it lol

Bosses overall were rough but the runback time was nonexistent so it was the fun kind of rough learning them all. Underwater boss was fine too imo, although that was one I countered pretty well and it only took a couple cycles so if you shaved it down the entire way that'd probably suck way more

EMMIs were an interesting idea but the core fights got samey fast and I don't really get what the motivation for the over the shoulder kill mechanic was (in the sense of it being a complete control scheme switchup for like 2 minutes total across the whole of the game, just wanted to show off that the 2.5D game was truly 3D?), although I at least appreciated the gentle reminder of "how to do it" to get out of the rooms before you had to use it for real

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah making them not turn into like an arena boss fight was a good move. Every little slip of your targeting when they change positions makes you sweat a little and wonder if you gave yourself enough room.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

EMMIs were an interesting idea but the core fights got samey fast and I don't really get what the motivation for the over the shoulder kill mechanic was (in the sense of it being a complete control scheme switchup for like 2 minutes total across the whole of the game, just wanted to show off that the 2.5D game was truly 3D?), although I at least appreciated the gentle reminder of "how to do it" to get out of the rooms before you had to use it for real

My guess is the camera change is to give you a much farther view of the area, making it much more tense to watch the EMMI slowly walk up to you as you hammer on it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah the intended effect here was that samus was like "well you didn't tell me to use my varia suit so here i am trucking through the hell zone completely exposed" until adam finally gives in and yells at her to do it

which would actually be a cool sequence in a better story

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Amppelix posted:

yeah the intended effect here was that samus was like "well you didn't tell me to use my varia suit so here i am trucking through the hell zone completely exposed" until adam finally gives in and yells at her to do it

I think you need a lot cockier, a lot more sarcastic, or a lot more obedient. of a main character for that. Samus is too much of a consummate professional to fit either of those three categories.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Other M Adam sucks a whole lot.

Lemming posted:

It was bad

It was *loving stupid*

Oxxidation posted:

iirc this was a localization issue. in the original japanese samus waits to activate the varia out of raw spite

which is dumb in a different way, really

Amppelix posted:

This sums everything about Other M up:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Amppelix posted:

From what I understand, that's kind of how it happens in the orignal Japanese script and the localization kind of hosed it up.

However, all I'm gonna say about Other M in this thread is that I'm the kind of guy that can forgive a laughably bad plot as long as the game itself is fun.
I couldn't forgive Other M.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
How is aiming on the joy cons? On the pro controller you have to aim right/left then up or down or it moves way too quickly.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah that's what i meant but even the original script isn't good enough to carry a scene like that

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m softlocked in the first area. Upper right corner of the center of the map, between the save room, the room with two sensor doors, the room behind the charge beam door, and the door to the EMMI area, there’s no place I can go.

I only have the charge beam, no morph ball. Am I missing something?

:cripes: Right, sliding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
This game really likes hidden blocks. If you're softlocked it's because they really want you to shoot at anything suspicious before letting you go free