Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

We use groupme, but only two groups use it: my department (copy & print) for intradepartmental communications, and the managers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

We switched to Microsoft Teams for everyone a few years ago and I'd prefer almost anything else. It's a slow piece of garbage.

gently caress this piece of poo poo software. My company used to use a proprietary web app for inventory and email. It kinda sucked, but it ran pretty well. Naturally they replaced it with Office365 and Teams, and a new flashier-looking inventory app that sucks balls.

We used to have pretty bog-standard retail handhelds for item checks and counts and such, and they worked just fine. But some fuckhead executive decided we had to look MODERN to the customers and now we have ipod based handhelds. They lock up all the time, one of them can drain its battery from full to dead in an hour of heavy use, and you have to use the goddamn touch keyboard to enter SKUs instead of physical number buttons. One of them has a pistol grip that likes to crap out, which is a problem because then you can't charge it. It's apparently a widespread enough problem that they sent out a task to us not to remove the pistol grip as it requires a "Special tool" to reinstall it. It's just a plain-rear end lightning cable plugged into the actual unit.

We've gone through 3 replacements of the pistol grip handheld, and one of the other one. In the 4 years previous how many times did we replace the older ones? loving never, but I guess I don't think like an executive.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'm using a remarkable panoply of different meeting software for work, from high end to low, and Teams is the worst by far on every metric. It's genuinely mindboggling in the ways it distinguishes its suck.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

shortspecialbus posted:

We switched to Microsoft Teams for everyone a few years ago and I'd prefer almost anything else. It's a slow piece of garbage.
My team uses Slack for everything except communicating with other departments because we're supposed to roll over all comms to Teams eventually. The work laptop I use can barely run teams without falling over. I have no idea why it's so CPU-intensive just chilling in the background.
I keep the process killed until I have to communicate with someone else from the company and then regretfully have to fire it up and kill all my other tasks.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

My store uses teams for manager meetings and at this point most people just call the meeting number on the phone because our connection is poo poo.

Also it’d be nice for people to stop doing things that get them fired by LP. I don’t know why people don’t understand how easily they see poo poo.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Funktastic posted:

Also it’d be nice for people to stop doing things that get them fired by LP. I don’t know why people don’t understand how easily they see poo poo.

At my brother's place one of the cashiers set up a robbery with a friend where he "chased" after the perpetrator after emptying out the register. For whatever reason his store doesn't have any outdoor cameras, despite being a truck stop where a lot of business happens outside of the store. Well a nearby store did have cameras and caught the guy calmly getting into his car with the robber before returning half an hour later.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
You can always tell when someone's a good candidate for management when they decide to poo poo on you for leaving four minutes early(while the store is already closed to customers) when your department is neater, cleaner and better sorted than theirs... and you already spent like half an hour helping them get theirs up to barely minimum closing spec.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

surprised to see the del taco near me has a "help wanted" sign and they're offering$16-$21 per hour. I make $22.50 and it's a mostly livable wage (for one person in an apartment with rent that's in the bottom 25% of southern California in my area,) so I'd be happy to see them get paid that much.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Amazon: We moved your yearly wage review/raise up from September to May. Thank us Peon and don't think too hard about what it means for how hard it is to keep anyone.

Also Amazon: It's September/October and you are very aware of how hard it is for us to get or keep anyone. Stop thinking about that and how you peons as a class might have slowly growing leverage. No you're not getting another raise. Your raise was in May. STOP ASKING!

Also Also Amazon: Uh we're falling behind and wer're barely a month away from the start of peak...double pay overtime if you come in and work extra for us this weekend? Please?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

PurpleXVI posted:

You can always tell when someone's a good candidate for management when they decide to poo poo on you for leaving four minutes early(while the store is already closed to customers) when your department is neater, cleaner and better sorted than theirs... and you already spent like half an hour helping them get theirs up to barely minimum closing spec.

Sounds like they have "District Manager" written all over them.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

shortspecialbus posted:

Sounds like they have "District Manager" written all over them.

Today he upped the ante by imperiously describing the LEAVING PROCEDURE and how HE WAS IN CHARGE of it 30 minutes before it was happening. I spent 25 minutes reading bad reviews of us and other businesses before I left, and it's like... yeah, sure, I can spend the extra 15 minutes in the store after I've already sorted everything out, but I refuse to do anything with it.

This little taste of POWER also appears to have gotten over the edge where now everyone is making fun of him for being an arrogant twat, which pleases me.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
When I was the senior closer in charge at Subway and Safeway i just divided up duties and made sure we got poo poo done right and done early. Everyone loved me. "Deli Dad" was my nickname v:shobon:v

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So at work we have two kinds of deliveries: store to store/customer, and one-day/today delivery. The latter is customer to customer. So you need legal documents sent asap, you use the latter. If you are a store in our network sending poo poo to another store, use the former. Easy poo poo. The one-day is where all the moneymaking is, so it takes precedence over the other.

So Tuesday one of our stores needed to send 25 (which is the limit) boxes to a customer. Okay fine. They list in the notes the driver needs a fully empty van, because the boxes won't fit otherwise. Of course, driver gets there, and finds the boxes won't fit period because they weren't measured right. But even with the right measurements, driver tells the store 25 boxes won't fit in his van, at all.

Now logically, store manager should have thought this over with: maybe the driver knows his van's capacity. And then manager can input the order again, but as two orders: one for 15, one for 10. Then the dispatch software can send two drivers. What SHOULD have happened, is that manager should have called the dispatch on Monday to explain the order, and requested an Exception: two drivers to come Tuesday between 830 and 9 am, to deliver by 10am. This is very feasible and how large orders are done. But that requires the manager to call the dispatch center and take five minutes out of her day to actually face the problem.

Wednesday the manager inputs the order in again for 25 boxes. Another driver attempts, and has to cancel the order, for the same reasons above.

Now it's Thursday. Manager is pissed. Manager calls the DM and the transport manager, screaming how drivers aren't doing their jobs.

Friday, I get the order. Now because dispatch doesn't see the notes, and this order, now sized to 15 boxes, is ready for me, I need to deliver everything in my van first, and ignore the other priority one-day shipments, in order to get this order done. It takes me about 20 minutes to load everything, because the manager is pissy and won't help.

I manage to make everything fit (though I do call my boss and warn her I might not be able to. Her flippant reply is that we get large orders and people need to deal with it.), get to the delivery place, and the customer is so happy she finally got her stuff, she helps me unload and is just a nice chatty person who thanks me for doing such a great job. About a half dozen orders end up going late because of this single order.

Peak is coming in the next few weeks. Cannot wait for the fuckery that comes with stores realizing they didn't order supplies to last a week.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

D34THROW posted:

When I was the senior closer in charge at Subway and Safeway i just divided up duties and made sure we got poo poo done right and done early. Everyone loved me. "Deli Dad" was my nickname v:shobon:v

Oh, yeah, like... if people realize that doing their jobs well and fast means everyone gets to check out 15 minutes early, they'll work harder, because at that point they're being rewarded for their work, not their hours present. It's like the most basic understanding of human psychology to realize this, that generally people work harder if rewarded, and only as much as is necessary not to get punished, if punished.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Yeah weirdly people like closing with me since I’ll get us out of there 5-10 minutes after closing since I’ll have people cleaning up as soon as I get in for the day. Instead of keeping everyone late because no one started cleaning until like 10:30

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh, yeah, like... if people realize that doing their jobs well and fast means everyone gets to check out 15 minutes early, they'll work harder, because at that point they're being rewarded for their work, not their hours present. It's like the most basic understanding of human psychology to realize this, that generally people work harder if rewarded, and only as much as is necessary not to get punished, if punished.

this is how i ran my shifts when i was a supervisor at a coffee shop and boy i'll tell you what, nobody works harder than someone who knows they get to clock out an hour early if poo poo is done. and nobody gets more mad about it than an overbearing owner who looks at everyone punching out early and thinks "what are these lazy assholes doing"

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Funktastic posted:

Yeah weirdly people like closing with me since I’ll get us out of there 5-10 minutes after closing since I’ll have people cleaning up as soon as I get in for the day. Instead of keeping everyone late because no one started cleaning until like 10:30

Or because closing Sales Floor got in at a decent time instead of 7:30 on a Friday night.

Gosh, I sure do love telling customers the restroom is out of toilet paper, them telling me it's fine, and then they go up front and complain anyway.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
We suddenly have a contract vote this week with what I was told was yearly pay raises baked in, thanks to our DC being short, by my guess, 15 people. The contract was supposed to be up in the spring but I guess they pushed it forward cause they're going to run out of people by then. Turns out people don't want to deal with this insane bullshit for only $18 an hour.

Also thanks to everyone not having enough people, we're out of a bunch of different things, and it's not just one store, it seems to be at least the entire northeast. For some reason, at one of the grocery stores, management decided to put one of the brands on sale, that we just can't get at all right now. So customers and managers at multiple stores have been pissed with me because we can't get any of the stuff on sale in, and I can't give them any answers because even my district manager can't get answers.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

dovetaile posted:

Or because closing Sales Floor got in at a decent time instead of 7:30 on a Friday night.

Gosh, I sure do love telling customers the restroom is out of toilet paper, them telling me it's fine, and then they go up front and complain anyway.

we had someone go straight to complaining to the svp of the company about one lock being broken on one of the ladies fitting rooms (out of 10). Never mentioned it to anyone in the store.

But hell thanks to her it got fixed like two days later. Meanwhile we have poo poo falling of the walls that we put in work orders for last year,

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Funktastic posted:

we had someone go straight to complaining to the svp of the company about one lock being broken on one of the ladies fitting rooms (out of 10). Never mentioned it to anyone in the store.

But hell thanks to her it got fixed like two days later. Meanwhile we have poo poo falling of the walls that we put in work orders for last year,

Hell, the company has time to make anti-union training materials but hasn't fixed our aircon in 2 years!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How did she even get their number?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I stopped over at my old place and holy poo poo they managed to get even scummier. I was told 2 things they were changing, 1 I was expecting and the other was so cartoonishly corporate America I couldn't believe it.

The thing I was fully expecting was that they were gonna gently caress with the health insurance. Basically the employee is now going to have the burden of paying it, before you'd pay like at most 60 bucks per paycheck. If you got your blood drawn at the start of the year they cut it in half, and if you passed certain thresholds you only paid 5 bucks a check. Now employees may be paying hundreds of dollars each paycheck, possibly a quarter or a third of the paycheck.

The second thing that took me for a loop: They're revoking a company policy that paid time and a half if an employee worked 6 or 7 days in a week. Which drat well means they're gonna be abusing that, they wouldn't bother making the change if they weren't gonna start doing it. Apparently this is legal in California, work your employees 6.5 hours a day for 6 days a week and not pay a lick of OT.

And my god, the first bit with the health insurance? It incredibly fucks over California workers. You have to have health insurance or you get penalized on your taxes unless you have a valid reason (basically: I make no money or my employer doesn't provide "affordable" health insurance). So now the employees options are:

Keep the health insurance and pay an absurd markup that will eat up a quarter or more of each paycheck.
Find a private health insurer that will most likely cost even more money
Keep a g note on the side for the sole purpose of paying the tax penalty because they'll be considered "too wealthy" to get any form of medicare/aid

Like holy poo poo. It is a better option to quit that place and get a job somewhere else that doesn't provide health insurance so you can get an out on the taxes. Its not like food 4 less is offering competitive wages, I was making 15.69 and in like 10 weeks every place will be required to pay 15 flat minimum. And they told me they were gonna write me up for the sole purpose of denying me a pay raise. Oh and the stocks thing is based on your pay, so they have a directive incentive to keep wages low.

I almost admire the sheer balls they have pulling this right now.

Leal fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 11, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

New ambassador (trainer): "Oh my god these new hires! I am dead inside!"

Me, a veteran ambassador of 2, soon to be 3 holiday seasons.

Her: :stare:

Me: You are not dead inside, you still feel. You are merely in the process of dying inside. Come back to me after you've had someone remove a piece of safety equipment from their workstation.

Leal posted:

I stopped over at my old place and holy poo poo they managed to get even scummier. I was told 2 things they were changing, 1 I was expecting and the other was so cartoonishly corporate America I couldn't believe it.

The thing I was fully expecting was that they were gonna gently caress with the health insurance. Basically the employee is now going to have the burden of paying it, before you'd pay like at most 60 bucks per paycheck. If you got your blood drawn at the start of the year they cut it in half, and if you passed certain thresholds you only paid 5 bucks a check. Now employees may be paying hundreds of dollars each paycheck, possibly a quarter or a third of the paycheck.

The second thing that took me for a loop: They're revoking a company policy that paid time and a half if an employee worked 6 or 7 days in a week. Which drat well means they're gonna be abusing that, they wouldn't bother making the change if they weren't gonna start doing it. Apparently this is legal in California, work your employees 6.5 hours a day for 6 days a week and not pay a lick of OT.

And my god, the first bit with the health insurance? It incredibly fucks over California workers. You have to have health insurance or you get penalized on your taxes unless you have a valid reason (basically: I make no money or my employer doesn't provide "affordable" health insurance). So now the employees options are:

Keep the health insurance and pay an absurd markup that will eat up a quarter or more of each paycheck.
Find a private health insurer that will most likely cost even more money
Keep a g note on the side for the sole purpose of paying the tax penalty because they'll be considered "too wealthy" to get any form of medicare/aid

Like holy poo poo. It is a better option to quit that place and get a job somewhere else that doesn't provide health insurance so you can get an out on the taxes. Its not like food 4 less is offering competitive wages, I was making 15.69 and in like 10 weeks every place will be required to pay 15 flat minimum. And they told me they were gonna write me up for the sole purpose of denying me a pay raise. Oh and the stocks thing is based on your pay, so they have a directive incentive to keep wages low.

I almost admire the sheer balls they have pulling this right now.

I'm glad you got out when you did. The amount of stress and anger leaking through your posts was worrying me.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Got out two hours early today and tomorrow they don't want me coming in at all!

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Our warehouse's thoroughput is way down for this time of year. Usually we're full steam ahead, tons of work and always behind from July-November. The last month we've been slow enough people going home early has been fairly common.

It doesn't help that we got hit with cryptolocker two weeks ago, but our incoming trailer yard has at most a dozen trailers in it at any given time instead of being completely full like usual.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Meanwhile my warehouse has had a line of trucks extending out of its trailer yard, through the parking lot and down the street nearly every day this week because days has a SEV issue that shuts them down nearly ever day.

Thankfully I'm nights. I just know because I live like a block away from work and can see the place from my apartment windows.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I meant to post this yesterday.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
my_crimes.jpg

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Got into it with a manager of a store I was picking up from today. And it falls under the "well everyone ELSE doesn't need me to do this!"

Everyone who works in retail or with retail or customers at all knows that line. "No one else asks me for ID!" "You're the only one who wants to see my license!"

In my case, "you're the only one who wants the labels printed!"

See, we have had cases in the past where a driver in my company, not wanting to deal with an angry, stressed out person, just doesn't ask for the delivery labels. And when you are working with a chain that does one thing, like tires, or car parts, or wheelchairs, having a delivery label means the right poo poo goes to the right customer. An angry person working in receiving knows what part is what on an STO or purchase order: for us, all wheelchairs, all tires, all bumpers, are the same. So if the wrong one gets delivered, and it's found the part wasn't labeled, it falls on the driver because the part should have been loving labeled!

So the dude I worked with today, he was already stressed because his store was swamped and clearly understaffed, and then I show up for a pickup. He finds the four items for me, then says he doesn't have labels, and walks off. And I stop him, and say I need the labels. "Well, I don't have them." "Sir, then i can't pick up the order."

It's not as if this system is new. I have picked up orders from these stores for years now. Everyone knows we need poo poo labeled, but some drivers just don't care. But my boss, as much as I don't like the poo poo she does, is right in this: we need the loving labels, and the sender needs to affix them, because otherwise if we do, it's again, our fault if the wrong poo poo gets delivered. And this has happened in the past. And I have been yelled at by people for orders I did not deliver but someone else sent them the wrong poo poo.

The manager gets pissed. "You're the ONLY ONE who wants labels! No one else says we need them!"

Polite as ever, I tell him the delivery tracking number to look up, because I can see their inbox on one computer, and there's about ten order emails. He storms to the computer, shows me the inbox, and says "See, no email labels. I don't have them."

I ask him to check the junk and deleted folders. Pissed, he does, and amazingly enough, why, someone sent the emailed labels into trash! How funny! Someone didn't actually fill the order but deleted the info, har har har. He does finally print me the labels and about throws them at me. I decide not to ask him to affix them to the boxes. This time.

The thing is, I do feel bad for how short staffed they are. And the order system is a pain in the rear end: in order to get the labels, those are only emailed, but all POs and STOs come in the company inventory site, not email. And the stores don't care about the labels but do the STO, and we don't care about that but the labels. Not to mention most pick up locations are customer facing, so there are lines of angry people needing poo poo and me on the side, waiting.

But telling me, a non-employee of their company, to dig through piles of tires or wheelchairs or boxes of car parts to grab the right poo poo, nope. Telling me that I don't need labels, nope. And of loving course "the other drivers don't care/ask for labels!" all the time, gently caress you, I hear your loving customers say the same line to you, and you hold firm on your No.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gaius Marius posted:

How did she even get their number?

I have good news for you comrade ! Here's how you get someone very high up in a corporation to unfuck something for you:

Check the website, the corporate section with Investor Relations info in it. You're looking for the main phone line to corporate HQ, and also the person at the VP, SVP, or Cx level who sounds like they could fix the issue on a whi11

Get super prepared, dossiers, talking points, responses, timelines, etc.

Call the home office, ask for the VIP you've picked out's assistant. You'll probably be leaving a voicemail, so practice a concise version of your story that's 55-90 seconds long, plus your contact info repeated twice. Try opening with "This issue came up, it looks like your boss can fix it, can you please help ?" This has good odds of getting your problem fixed posthaste.

The local government version of this is, call your local mayor's office. You know who answers the phone at the mayor's office ? PoliSci interns who haven't had their ideals about public service broken yet. I had a friend at work, how'd just moved to town, register her daughter for school a day late; she was rejected and was looking at paying for daycare for another year. I called the mayor's office at 10am. At 2pm I got a call from the Board of Education, someone who sounded weary of it all, but supremely competent. I got her on a call with my friend, and kiddo started school a mere two days late.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Cowslips Warren posted:

Got into it with a manager of a store I was picking up from today. And it falls under the "well everyone ELSE doesn't need me to do this!"

Everyone who works in retail or with retail or customers at all knows that line. "No one else asks me for ID!" "You're the only one who wants to see my license!"

As a librarian, this exact poo poo is the bane of my existence. Got it from a guy today who was enraged at being asked to keep it down--"Other Branch is like a nightclub it's so loud!" Sir, we are not at Other Branch, and you are yelling into a cell phone. In a library.

Good on you for holding firm and doing your job correctly. I know those situations are infuriating.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

atomicgeek posted:

As a librarian, this exact poo poo is the bane of my existence. Got it from a guy today who was enraged at being asked to keep it down--"Other Branch is like a nightclub it's so loud!" Sir, we are not at Other Branch, and you are yelling into a cell phone. In a library.

Good on you for holding firm and doing your job correctly. I know those situations are infuriating.

It is. It really is. Because 90% of the time they lie to your face about the loving labels, and this should not be such a big deal. But if I get a writeup because an order "goes missing/wasn't delivered" they wouldn't piss on a fire to put me out. gently caress, one such manager told me, in this tiny rear end parking lot, I needed to not block his receiving bays and instead park in the single handicapped parking slot.

What I wanted to say was: No, sir, I am going to stay where I loving am and you will get me my loving order that was input THREE HOURS AGO or I will reschedule it for end of day and loving leave! You gonna pay for my ticket in case some cop comes by or someone takes a loving picture of me in a work branded vehicle and it goes viral?

What I said was: Nope. I can reschedule now or cancel the pickup.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I love seeing poo poo like this so much.

https://twitter.com/srslyberserk/status/1448944383231922202?t=fAmedBY7tbMKyqIJQikzkw

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

See, we have had cases in the past where a driver in my company, not wanting to deal with an angry, stressed out person, just doesn't ask for the delivery labels. And when you are working with a chain that does one thing, like tires, or car parts, or wheelchairs, having a delivery label means the right poo poo goes to the right customer. An angry person working in receiving knows what part is what on an STO or purchase order: for us, all wheelchairs, all tires, all bumpers, are the same. So if the wrong one gets delivered, and it's found the part wasn't labeled, it falls on the driver because the part should have been loving labeled!

So the dude I worked with today, he was already stressed because his store was swamped and clearly understaffed, and then I show up for a pickup. He finds the four items for me, then says he doesn't have labels, and walks off. And I stop him, and say I need the labels. "Well, I don't have them." "Sir, then i can't pick up the order."

It's not as if this system is new. I have picked up orders from these stores for years now. Everyone knows we need poo poo labeled, but some drivers just don't care. But my boss, as much as I don't like the poo poo she does, is right in this: we need the loving labels, and the sender needs to affix them, because otherwise if we do, it's again, our fault if the wrong poo poo gets delivered. And this has happened in the past. And I have been yelled at by people for orders I did not deliver but someone else sent them the wrong poo poo.

Oh my god, I went through this yesterday too. Had to explain to a lady at a realtor's office that no, you can't have one box with a label and then a dozen metal signs loose with no information on them. Labels! Things need labels before you ship them! On every piece! It can go nowhere without a label!

And no, you can't just tape it all together because 1. I can't loving lift a dozen metal sign posts taped together into a bundle, and it's too heavy to not break apart completely, so you figure out how to actually have this labeled properly and I'll come back and get it, but don't get annoyed at me because I can't take it like this.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

RoboRodent posted:

Oh my god, I went through this yesterday too. Had to explain to a lady at a realtor's office that no, you can't have one box with a label and then a dozen metal signs loose with no information on them. Labels! Things need labels before you ship them! On every piece! It can go nowhere without a label!

And no, you can't just tape it all together because 1. I can't loving lift a dozen metal sign posts taped together into a bundle, and it's too heavy to not break apart completely, so you figure out how to actually have this labeled properly and I'll come back and get it, but don't get annoyed at me because I can't take it like this.

We (briefly) had a customer try us out for delivery services. It was a massive tire warehouse, and I remember showing up the first day with a half dozen other drivers. Each of us had 5-7 orders, each order had 2-6 tires. So a lot. And the receiving guys send us out our poo poo...and nothing is labeled. So when we say hey, we don't know where ANYTHING loving goes, I remember the ginger rear end in a top hat in the office rolling his eyes and showing us how to match the brand to the STO paperwork. Which cut no poo poo when half the tires are the same brand.

Our dispatch forced us to take the orders "just this once." I have no idea how many things actually got to the right destination, because we rarely go there anymore, but to me, a tire is round, usually heavy, and black. They are literally all the same in my eyes. I can't imagine more than half got to the right stores, and there was likely some fuckery trying to redeliver the right poo poo.

I despise "just this once" poo poo. Because the customer remembers, and will always, always use it for the next time.

This brings me to one other thing that makes me see red: loving GATE CODES. Not only are they rarely provided ever, but now I know there are things like gates for residents only. There is a huge retiree gated community, about three square miles, I drive around, and every time without fail, GPS will send me to one of the four, FOUR loving residents only gates. There is a single "contractor" gate with a security guard. And people wonder why they don't get poo poo delivered. And if I get a delivery to a gated community, and there is no code, I will check under the fire-flap on the call box, but otherwise I don't bother to call. I used to wait a few minutes, see if someone would let me in, but at this point I say gently caress It, and Bad Address the box.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

This brings me to one other thing that makes me see red: loving GATE CODES. Not only are they rarely provided ever, but now I know there are things like gates for residents only. There is a huge retiree gated community, about three square miles, I drive around, and every time without fail, GPS will send me to one of the four, FOUR loving residents only gates. There is a single "contractor" gate with a security guard. And people wonder why they don't get poo poo delivered. And if I get a delivery to a gated community, and there is no code, I will check under the fire-flap on the call box, but otherwise I don't bother to call. I used to wait a few minutes, see if someone would let me in, but at this point I say gently caress It, and Bad Address the box.

Oh, gently caress gated communities. gently caress THEM. I've only had to deal with a few small ones but they're always a pain and hard to drive a truck around in.

I know of at least one in town where the gate code is just the address, though, which is supremely lazy.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

RoboRodent posted:

And no, you can't just tape it all together because 1. I can't loving lift a dozen metal sign posts taped together into a bundle, and it's too heavy to not break apart completely,

Sounds like you're not using enough tape, then. A third of a roll around the bottom, top, and middle each and that sucker ain't going nowhere until someone shoves a fork through the tape. Still heavy, though. (Tape is one of the few things our company will keep our warehouse stocked with. We use it abundantly as a result)

Re: Tires:
We recently dropped most of our tire dealer contracts. New owners seem to actually look at manhours per dollar earned and realized tires aren't earning us poo poo since it's a two or three man job and takes six hours. They also had stopped labeling their tires in any way, so there were three people across all our shifts who could figure out how to tell the orders apart by tire size. In case you were wondering, a 53 foot trailer holds about 800 truck tires, or 1300 car tires.

EDIT: Oh, also three of our most experienced customer service people are retiring or leaving within the month. Taking a combined hundred or so years of company experience with them. Two of them were even nice people who'd come out to the warehouse themselves when they were trying to track down a stubborn piece of freight! Of course nobody is being trained to replace them, that'd make too much sense. Also we're working on recovering from cryptolocker still so management is a little busy.

JackSplater fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 17, 2021

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
We got an Excellent google review earlier today:

quote:

They need to fire the manager who told his staff member in front of all of us customers "NO" when they said they can't work Saturdays anymore. Those are PEOPLE, not machines. She said she has classes on Saturdays, but this man didn't even want to hear it.
I don't care if she only works three days a week, if she is no longer available on those days, you CANNOT force her to come in. That type of management takes a huge hit on morale, and I would never want to work at this location.
When you see large issues with service, you look at the management.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
My assistant manager apparently just told our SM on Friday that he won't be coming in anymore. That puts us back down to 4 salaried managers, including the store manager, to cover 7 days a week from basically 4am until 12pm. Good thing it's not almost the holidays or anything.

But good on him for getting the gently caress out. Both my direct supervisor and I probably make more than he does on an hourly rate, especially with all the time he's had to cover for how short the salaried team has been for the last 4 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Went to order pizza yesterday and saw my local Pizza Hut was closed. Odd. I ordered from another one, and when I went to pick it up, I asked the employee if the other store would be open soon.

Nah, he said, the manager was out sick, and the store couldn't keep open due to staffing issues. Their store only was open because they did half the business the other one did.

Not surprising at all.