Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, but this is just a pet peeve of mine whenever it comes in fiction -- two groups with similar motives who have this sort of unnecessary fight or argument based on a misunderstanding, especially when you're pretty sure they're eventually going to make peace and deal with the actual problem.

As the audience, we know Serini probably isn't going to kill the protagonists and the OotS probably isn't going to kill her, and there's almost certainly going to be a way forward where Serini gives us an info-dump that we've been waiting on for a decade. And it IS a misunderstanding -- we can make jokes about how the Order is a bunch of fuckups who blew up the rest of the Gates, sure, but we as the audience at least know that there's no way the Order is willing to blow up this one too, so from our perspective there's really no conflict here, it's just a matter of how long it takes them to figure out what assurances Serini needs to hear. It's more of a meta thing, even if the "delay" makes sense as far as what we know of the characters.

Like I said, it's just a pet peeve of mine, it just feels like a drag on the plot. Maybe in another decade when I'm reading the whole story straight through it'll feel different, though, the gaps between comics are brutal during fight scenes haha.

I also greatly dislike misunderstanding-based conflict in media, but I find much easier to stomach this instance because Serini was presented as an antagonist at the end of book 6. Yes, now we know she means well, but she's just fulfilling the narrative purpose she was set up for years ago, which is different from, say, two protagonists that are standing side by side as allies in promotional material spending half a season opposing each other.

Also Rich is probably building up to something with this fight and the resolution of it will likely impact the story in some fashion beyond just getting Serini to cooperate with the Order.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Parahexavoctal posted:

... Serini will probably recognize the Monster in the Dark, won't she.

What kind of monster he is, or literally recognize MitD?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, but this is just a pet peeve of mine whenever it comes in fiction -- two groups with similar motives who have this sort of unnecessary fight or argument based on a misunderstanding, especially when you're pretty sure they're eventually going to make peace and deal with the actual problem.

As the audience, we know Serini probably isn't going to kill the protagonists and the OotS probably isn't going to kill her, and there's almost certainly going to be a way forward where Serini gives us an info-dump that we've been waiting on for a decade. And it IS a misunderstanding -- we can make jokes about how the Order is a bunch of fuckups who blew up the rest of the Gates, sure, but we as the audience at least know that there's no way the Order is willing to blow up this one too, so from our perspective there's really no conflict here, it's just a matter of how long it takes them to figure out what assurances Serini needs to hear. It's more of a meta thing, even if the "delay" makes sense as far as what we know of the characters.

Like I said, it's just a pet peeve of mine, it just feels like a drag on the plot. Maybe in another decade when I'm reading the whole story straight through it'll feel different, though, the gaps between comics are brutal during fight scenes haha.

Eh, there is a meaningful point to this fight here. If the adventurers can't handle a cranky gnome rogue with some tame monsters, they have no business thinking they can defend the Gate from a high-level goblin cleric, a higher-level lich, a powerful mystery monster, and Oona.

It's not like they've done a very good job of helping the previous gates' defenders. At Azure City, they couldn't even slow Xykon and Redcloak down once Team Evil got serious, and they didn't even try at Girard's Gate. And in both cases, they weren't just useless - their actions were actively disruptive to the force that was intended to guard the gate.

Hell, how long has it even been since they've actually straight-up clearly won a fight against someone that wasn't a random encounter or an iteration of the Linear Guild? Lately it's all been technical victories like knocking Tarquin off an airship, breaking the council table, or vampire Durkon deciding to let Belkar kill him. Which makes sense given the direction the story's been taking, but something like that isn't going to fly at the final gate. They need to show that they can really win a fight against someone scarier than Nale all by themselves now. They might be able to talk down Redcloak or the monster in the dark under the right circumstances, but there's absolutely no negotiating their way out of a final battle with Xykon. Even if they were able to convince him to give up on the gate, he'd probably still try to kill them anyway for the hell of it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Gnome?!?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
oops

clearly, despite Belkar being a main character the entire time, i'm somehow still not used to halflings that shittalk

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Our heroes have also quite likely already hosed up the defenses of this particular gate by hinting to Team Evil that there's a secret trick they should be looking for, so its not even like them possibly damaging the gates defenses is even a hypothetical at this point, they've ALREADY blundered their way into weakening it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

GlyphGryph posted:

Our heroes have also quite likely already hosed up the defenses of this particular gate by hinting to Team Evil that there's a secret trick they should be looking for, so its not even like them possibly damaging the gates defenses is even a hypothetical at this point, they've ALREADY blundered their way into weakening it.

This is such a great point lol. You could argue that if Serini hadn't interfered they would have attacked Team Evil and possibly defeated them, but if the Order hadn't shown up at all it would have taken them a very, very long time to figure out how to get through considering the MitD's deception and the fact that they're totally clueless about the trap. Long enough that you could probably have marshaled all the world's willing warriors against them instead of a ragtag band of adventurers, and come up with a comprehensive plan to defeat them.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

GlyphGryph posted:

This might be true, but I think Serini has mostly given up on defending the gate from Xykon in the first place. It makes sense, in a cold calculus sort of way -- not only is Xykon a walking, non-breathing counter to her entire build, but he's already nearly killed her in one encounter. I think admitting that necessarily also admits that the teleport trap/scrying thing isn't airtight enough to keep Team Evil out forever. Also, there's the fact that Xykon is immortal and so is Redcloak thanks to his god's artifact, so they have literally forever to figure it out and no alternate sites to exploit for their purposes. Serini won't live forever, after all.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

This is such a great point lol. You could argue that if Serini hadn't interfered they would have attacked Team Evil and possibly defeated them, but if the Order hadn't shown up at all it would have taken them a very, very long time to figure out how to get through considering the MitD's deception and the fact that they're totally clueless about the trap. Long enough that you could probably have marshaled all the world's willing warriors against them instead of a ragtag band of adventurers, and come up with a comprehensive plan to defeat them.

Wasn't there a strip where Roy pointed out that the danger bell had been well and truly rung at this point and it was pretty clear that they were only ones who were going to be dealing with this?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Wasn't there a strip where Roy pointed out that the danger bell had been well and truly rung at this point and it was pretty clear that they were only ones who were going to be dealing with this?

Yeah, it was Belkar cussing out Roy after Durkon first died in the Draketooth dungeon.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

This might be true, but I think Serini has mostly given up on defending the gate from Xykon in the first place.

Sure, but the heroes didn't want to weaken the defenses, they wanted to keep him out, and they hosed up. So arguing "no we really don't want to destroy the gate this time!" based on their track record of undermining their own intent isn't going to be a very convincing argument. She shes them as stupid, unreliable and dangerous, and nothing about the last few things they've done (Durkon trying to talk, then them leading him into the dungeon and possibly revealing its primary defense) should indicate to her that anything has changed in that regard.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, it was Belkar cussing out Roy after Durkon first died in the Draketooth dungeon.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0881.html

But I think there was another time this came up and it was probably during the godsmoot?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Vizuyos posted:

And in both cases, they weren't just useless - their actions were actively disruptive to the force that was intended to guard the gate.

What do you mean in the case of Azure City? Winding up Miko, or something else? That particular fuckup seems to be more on Shojo's lap I think.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

AnoHito posted:

The problem isn't that she doesn't have them figured out, it's that she does have them figured out. They have never been anything other than an active hinderance when dealing with the gates. Why should she want their help this time, when every time in the past has shown that they are useless at best, and actively harmful at worst?

A lot of this isn't even so much a matter of morality as it is a matter of competence. She probably halfway expects them to three stooges their way into disarming all of her defenses if they were on her side.

See, this is were I disagree. I mean, from Serini's point of view it is true, but we know that the Order has undergone huge character grows. They aren't just a bunch of adventures who stumbled into a saving the world plot anymore, they treat the whole thing much more serious. This strip is not the exact point it changed, but it does show that they think pretty critically about their own role and responsibility in the whole affair:

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0881.html

But I think there was another time this came up and it was probably during the godsmoot?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

mmkay posted:

What do you mean in the case of Azure City? Winding up Miko, or something else? That particular fuckup seems to be more on Shojo's lap I think.

Yeah, Miko. She was the strongest paladin in Azure City, and spent most of the battle locked up in prison, while the generally well-liked Lord Shojo had suddenly died under suspicious circumstances. While Miko certainly had issues long before she met the Order, she probably wouldn't have murdered the Lord of the City right before Xykon arrived if she hadn't caught him secretly colluding with the Order to shield a capital-E Evil murderer from justice so that he could act as Shojo's agent for violating one of the most important Paladin Rules in Azure City.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Lying to paladins. Serini is taking points off for that

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Miko would have never made the will save.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Vizuyos posted:

Yeah, Miko. She was the strongest paladin in Azure City, and spent most of the battle locked up in prison, while the generally well-liked Lord Shojo had suddenly died under suspicious circumstances. While Miko certainly had issues long before she met the Order, she probably wouldn't have murdered the Lord of the City right before Xykon arrived if she hadn't caught him secretly colluding with the Order to shield a capital-E Evil murderer from justice so that he could act as Shojo's agent for violating one of the most important Paladin Rules in Azure City.

To quote Hinjo, "I heard the same things you did, and I managed to restrain myself from executing my liege." Feels like spending the battle in prison is on her, not the Order.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Braking Gnus posted:

To quote Hinjo, "I heard the same things you did, and I managed to restrain myself from executing my liege." Feels like spending the battle in prison is on her, not the Order.

And to a lesser extent Shojo, who was actually doing the things Miko was responding to. The Order didn't really get a lot of choice in working with him.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

mmkay posted:

They also told them that Xykon was going to Girard's gate and not theirs. And Elan (or I guess Julio, to be more specific) actually directly blew up some of their defenses on his way back into the city to defeat Nale.

e X posted:

See, this is were I disagree. I mean, from Serini's point of view it is true, but we know that the Order has undergone huge character grows. They aren't just a bunch of adventures who stumbled into a saving the world plot anymore, they treat the whole thing much more serious. This strip is not the exact point it changed, but it does show that they think pretty critically about their own role and responsibility in the whole affair:

You see, they failed at Girard's Gate, though. Pretty miserably. Like, they couldn't even beat Nale for the gate, why should they be trusted to beat Xykon?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
If the entire Order of the Stick was evil, the sigils in the Dungeon of Dorukan would still be intact.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

AnoHito posted:

why should they be trusted to beat Xykon?

But that's not Sereni's problem with them...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

e X posted:

But that's not Sereni's problem with them...

One of her main problems is that she sees no benefit to having them around to cancel out the (very real and established) risk of having them around. Really, what is she going to gain even in ideal circumstances? A bunch of random losers who will probably get chumped the second they face a serious threat? Better off not bothering.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Braking Gnus posted:

I'm not saying it's directly the Order's fault. I'm saying Miko probably wouldn't have managed to concoct a paranoid delusion sufficient to convince her she needed to murder her liege if the Order hadn't been there. Things probably would have turned out a lot differently if Shojo had managed to get himself an adventuring party that didn't include a malicious, murderous halfling who spent a considerable amount of effort specifically trying to piss off Miko for fun. In the end, "inviting" the Order to Azure City ended up leaving the city less able to defend the gate than it was before they arrived.

And while Miko had a lot going on with her thought process, the fact that everyone tolerated and protected Belkar was almost certainly the core factor that set her off once and for all. As someone who took the paladin's traditional rigid view on morality and killing Evil to extremes, she made no secret of what she thought about supposedly-Good people like Roy and Durkon protecting Belkar while his knives were still dripping with the blood of the innocent guard he'd just murdered. The difference between her and Hinjo was that Hinjo was happy to leave stuff to the courts, while Miko seemed to prefer to be judge, jury, and executioner herself. Shojo had needed to repeatedly rig or evade the justice system for the Order's convenience, and finding out about that was the key piece she needed to justify her own feeling that the blade of a paladin was more trustworthy and reliable than any court.

Tenebrais posted:

And to a lesser extent Shojo, who was actually doing the things Miko was responding to. The Order didn't really get a lot of choice in working with him.

In fairness, that's because Shojo thought they actually knew what they were doing when they blew up Dorukan's Gate. By the time he realized they'd done it for no reason at all, he'd already rigged a trial in their favor and explained all of the Sapphire Guard's deepest secrets to them. Also, when he first invited them, he thought he'd only need to engage in one miscarriage of justice, and a relatively minor one at that. He didn't expect that as conditions for helping, they'd ask him to keep a murderer out of jail and indefinitely imprison someone without charge.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

e X posted:

They blew up girards gate in a completely rational, logical, developed way, at their leaders behest and after consultation. It wasn't an accident or for comic effect. I think serini has a solid point tbh

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah Girard's gate is probably the clincher here. Serini is firmly of the opinion that letting Xykon have his fun with the gates is a better outcome than letting the world get torn apart without them. The Order made a very conscious decision to risk the latter dramatically to prevent the former.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Staltran posted:

What kind of monster he is, or literally recognize MitD?

Either? Both?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Even if "the order is a bunch of idiot you can't trust", she could still try to talk to them - convince them, enlist (if only to put them in a place where they can't make things worse) or manipulate. I mean, you think they'll do more damage if they blunder in blindly than if they'll know to, say, "do not enter the tunnels under pain of death"

Tenebrais posted:

Serini is firmly of the opinion that letting Xykon have his fun with the gates is a better outcome than letting the world get torn apart without them

And this is another flaw of her thinking:
So there's this very complex, never tried before magical ritual, which poke the world-killing abomination. Surely, nothing could go wrong if they cast it!
(Besides the fact that this gives him a weapon against the gods, not merely mortals, and the former may have a strong opinion about that. Even not knowing about the godmoot, this is a logical deduction.
...How much does she know about what Xykon's planning to do with the gate, tho?)

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Gun Jam posted:

...How much does she know about what Xykon's planning to do with the gate, tho?)

The problem here is that we don't know what Xykon's plans for the gate(s) are. Ostensibly he has some vague scheme to become 'emperor of the world' by blackmailing everyone, but that sounds like the sort of plan that Xykon himself would shoot down as unfeasible. I'm guessing he has something more specific and down to earth planned.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Maybe he'll force the gods to give him back his sense of taste. He can already take over the world as it is, if he put his mind to it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it's pretty safe to say that the evil skeleton man who kills people for fun is going to do bad things with the power to blackmail the gods with a deicidal pre-universe monster.

Serini thinks the order is going to gently caress up the last gate (possibly destroy it to at least give the world oblivion instead of evil like a certain mustachioed paladin might've considered), and if she's gonna stop them, she needs the element of surprise to take them down. I'm often annoyed by stories relying on people just refusing to talk out their problems, but there's already plenty of talking out in this comic.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Does Serini know they're planning to use a ritual on the gate?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I think we need to concede that between the grief of all her old friends dying one by one, the fear she has of Xykon after he nearly killed her, oh and getting troll parts grafted into her brain, that Serini my not be thinking rationally anymore.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Does Serini know they're planning to use a ritual on the gate?

I don't think so.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

jng2058 posted:

I think we need to concede that between the grief of all her old friends dying one by one, the fear she has of Xykon after he nearly killed her, oh and getting troll parts grafted into her brain, that Serini my not be thinking rationally anymore.
Every member of the Scribble aside from maybe Dorukon was basically the worst aspects of their alignment. Soon was too Lawful, Girard was too Chaotic. It makes sense that Serini is too Neutral.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lirian was too into flammable defenses, Dorukan was too horny, and Kraagor is too dead.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Lirian was too druid (no defense against fire/undead), Dorukan was too wizard (all of his defenses required active casting maintenance, got provoked into a caster duel), and Kraagor was too berserker (he dead).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Serini also won't have to suffer any of the consequences of her actions, as she's going to continue living in a hole in the middle of nowhere with her monster friends for the few years that remain of her life.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rand Brittain posted:

Serini also won't have to suffer any of the consequences of her actions, as she's going to continue living in a hole in the middle of nowhere with her monster friends for the few years that remain of her life.

Or the few days that remain of everyone's life, if she doesn't yield to the Order. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Or the few days that remain of everyone's life, if she doesn't yield to the Order. :v:

It's not my fault if the Outlands are a boring afterlife.