Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

being a little addled won't stop this bro from being a ranged monster. it actually saved me from spending levels on raising resolve

hell yeah, brain damaged

the objectively good permanent injury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The best moneymaking advice I ever picked up was to go out and get in fights and REPAIR THE EQUIPMENT before selling it - I never used to bother as I figured that each item sold for so little anyway, it wasn't worth the tools to repair everything before selling.

I haven't done the maths but i was extremely wrong lol, orc weapons in particular are insanely profitable for how easy groups of young with a couple of barbarians are by midgame

Yes this is solid advice.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The best moneymaking advice I ever picked up was to go out and get in fights and REPAIR THE EQUIPMENT before selling it - I never used to bother as I figured that each item sold for so little anyway, it wasn't worth the tools to repair everything before selling.

I haven't done the maths but i was extremely wrong lol, orc weapons in particular are insanely profitable for how easy groups of young with a couple of barbarians are by midgame

Giggle Goose posted:

Yes this is solid advice.

Completely agree, but two points to note:

It is specifically profitable for tier 3 weapons (and Orc weapons), it's not worth it for tier 1. For tier 2 it depends, I think some things like arming swords are worth a lot more than mostly-wooden weapons. Armour takes too many tools to repair IMO.

If you are in a region without castles or the right buildings in towns, you may not be able to obtain more tools; the priority is to ensure your own guys equipment is in fighting shape, so mouse over the tools icon and it tells you how many tools your current repairs will take. I would never be using more tools than I have on repairing selling items. If you're not in shape to take the next fight, you may lose out on a lot of further opportunities.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The only "t2" weapons i repair is flails. Even then i think they're technically t3 but they're definitely on second tier raiders.

If you have a dude you don't think you'll keep, but is filling a spot, consider giving him a flail. Anything without a helmet can be aimed at over a shield and its a very useful midgame bro. There are a lot of helmetless bandits that have donated their armour to me because they decided a bandana was "good enough" armour.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

"what do we really know the possible long term effects of helmets"?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Is there a mod to make your bro's appear helmetless when they are not?

I've played some warhammer recently and i'm kinda into the style.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Cultist Origin is so loving infuriating
please I'm just trying to vibe with my one 3-star MATK merc and both sacrifices that have procced have given candles to a bunch of worthless idiots that probably won't make it to level 6.

dogstile posted:

Is there a mod to make your bro's appear helmetless when they are not?

I've played some warhammer recently and i'm kinda into the style.

I don't see one on Nexusmods but iirc the way people make mods overrides the game's unity scripts so theoretically someone who knows C# could make one in like 10 minutes.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
alright I'm now at day 110 with a full party. I barely made it to this point. Beast Slayer economy is brutal; as you need ambushed trade routes to actually make money

I got greedy and went for paymaster before I really had the money to do so. Was down to 200g and treading water between fights. I got super lucky and found a low level camp of cutthroats. this rolled into taking a 1 skull witch contract for 1k. I knew it was make or break time and went all in. I managed to tie up the webknechts while my lone polemace dude ran up and brained her

Holy War is the dilemma of the day. I see 2k and 3k contracts and have no idea when I should be able to take them. I guess stepping back, do most people heavily participate in the first crisis or just profit while trying to solidify the core team?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I think it just depends on how well off you are when the crisis hits. If your progress has been lagging behind then there's no shame in being careful and holding back a bit.

I would say though that Holy War is an particularly brutal crisis, especially if you're fighting against the southern cities.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Depends on the crisis and opportunity. Holy wars are a bit more dangerous than the standard undead invasion, but siding with the south usually means you're in for a good time. If my brothers are in a fairly strong spot, i'll join in happily. If not i'll just let it play out.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Depends on how well you're doing. Noble war is straightforward and profitable and being on the right side of one good fight can take your guys up to be able to go toe to toe with a typical noble force so I often participate heavily in the noble war when it kicks off. The others are a bit more variable and you need to know how to build a force that can deal with the greenskin/undead/southern forces. Go all in on the biggest faction in the noble war and then treat all the work as a Mercenary. You are an irregular privately paid force participating in a much larger conflict. You're not important so its time to try and line your pockets. That means being as opportunistic/cowardly as possible. Let the nobles do the dying and loot their corpses afterwards. Daggers and maces are your friends. Same holds true fighting for the south, just be sure to give friendly handgunners a wide berth.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I beat an endgame crisis on ironman for the first time, finally. Probably my best bunch of mercs, too. Then one of my best guys got killed and it kind of snowballed into me later losing the whole company as the replacements just weren't up to snuff. Somehow still ended with the company living on despite losing everyone. Got to like day 175. If it wasn't ironman and gone I'd love to be able to go back and play that file. Finally everything just clicked with that group. The map was a really awesome seed with plenty to do between the north and south, too.

It's a long shot but is there a way to find previously generated seeds in the game files?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
hmm when a contract says to defend a place. will the enemy forces all come at once or staggered? I assume reinforcements are dependent on the contract itself

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

frogge posted:

I beat an endgame crisis on ironman for the first time, finally. Probably my best bunch of mercs, too. Then one of my best guys got killed and it kind of snowballed into me later losing the whole company as the replacements just weren't up to snuff. Somehow still ended with the company living on despite losing everyone. Got to like day 175. If it wasn't ironman and gone I'd love to be able to go back and play that file. Finally everything just clicked with that group. The map was a really awesome seed with plenty to do between the north and south, too.

It's a long shot but is there a way to find previously generated seeds in the game files?

Open up the file and pull up your company reputation page. I believe the seed name is there. It may be on the obituary page. But yea you can find it.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Donkringel posted:

Open up the file and pull up your company reputation page. I believe the seed name is there. It may be on the obituary page. But yea you can find it.

Sure, but after the ironman save is ended in defeat? There's not really a high scores page for all the different save games you've played. My problem is I never thought to write down that awesome seed when I had a save file in it, and now it's lost to the aether.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

hmm when a contract says to defend a place. will the enemy forces all come at once or staggered? I assume reinforcements are dependent on the contract itself
If it's a defend contract in context of the holy war then there usually are several waves. It's real handy to have a few sets of spare armors around for these because you won't have time for major repairs between fights. Having a spare bro or two on the bench is obviously good too but spare armors alone helped me a lot with these contracts. Imo you should think twice about taking these against the south though. Aside from needing a strong roster of bros and solid gear the fights themselves can be pretty painful to play due to the fighting style of the southern armies. If you fight for the south then it's pretty similar to the noble war but you still need to chew through a few fights in a short order so judge how well your company can hold if a couple of them have taken wounds

If it's a general "defend town from orcs/undead/bandits" then there can be up to two groups I believe. They usually arrive staggered but I think they spawn at the same time

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 4, 2021

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

frogge posted:

You can use this tool for your perfect seed:

https://wlirareddit.github.io/bb_calculator/seed_search.html

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

punishedkissinger posted:

"what do we really know the possible long term effects of helmets"?

It's been days and this is still making me giggle like an idiot.

~~~

As for actually relevant to the game itself, seeing someone new start playing and willing to use scratch-off bros has made me pick it back up for a while. I notice that the AI seems a lot more likely to flank than it was in the past. Goblins always did this, and sometimes humans did, but lately I've seen basically everything... dumb animals, undead, ghouls (which I guess are kinda sorta both), you name it. It feels like everything is making a mad dash for my archers whenever I start a fight without numbers. Was there some kind of behavioral patch that got posted?

~~~

Tin Tim posted:

If it's a defend contract in context of the holy war then there usually are several waves. It's real handy to have a few sets of spare armors around for these because you won't have time for major repairs between fights. Having a spare bro or two on the bench is obviously good too but spare armors alone helped me a lot with these contracts. Imo you should think twice about taking these against the south though. Aside from needing a strong roster of bros and solid gear the fights themselves can be pretty painful to play due to the fighting style of the southern armies. If you fight for the south then it's pretty similar to the noble war but you still need to chew through a few fights in a short order so judge how well your company can hold if a couple of them have taken wounds

If it's a general "defend town from orcs/undead/bandits" then there can be up to two groups I believe. They usually arrive staggered but I think they spawn at the same time

One thing I'd like to touch on here---if the town has an armorer or a weaponsmith, you can instantly repair your equipment by going into it, holding ALT and right-clicking the equipment. (Never not hold ALT) It'll cost an arm and a leg, but only figuratively, as opposed to "not having armor". Doing this enough times is how you can add the Blacksmith to your retinue---he's a guy that will increase your repair speed by a third and also let you repair things like "broken shields" instead of having to buy new ones.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Veryslightlymad posted:

As for actually relevant to the game itself, seeing someone new start playing and willing to use scratch-off bros has made me pick it back up for a while. I notice that the AI seems a lot more likely to flank than it was in the past. Goblins always did this, and sometimes humans did, but lately I've seen basically everything... dumb animals, undead, ghouls (which I guess are kinda sorta both), you name it. It feels like everything is making a mad dash for my archers whenever I start a fight without numbers. Was there some kind of behavioral patch that got posted?

No their behavior has been the same for a long time, if you have enough of a frontline that they can't just beeline straight for someone unarmored they won't attempt to circumvent your frontline at all. Weidergangers are more random about what they target than any of the other enemy types but I think it's still weighted by who seems easiest to kill.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I think - someone who's done the maths will be along to prove me completely wrong - that whether enemies rush or not seems to be determined by your ranged strength compared to theirs. It's easiest to see if you're fighting bandits or goblins, once you kill a couple of their archers they'll start charging you and get wrecked

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think - someone who's done the maths will be along to prove me completely wrong - that whether enemies rush or not seems to be determined by your ranged strength compared to theirs. It's easiest to see if you're fighting bandits or goblins, once you kill a couple of their archers they'll start charging you and get wrecked

This is correct. The AI rates the strength of both sides ranged contingent and if they are stronger will sit back, if you are stronger it decides it'll lose if it just sits back so comes out and attacks.

And by stronger it seems to just be "I have more guys with ranged weapons" not a complex "he has 1 archer fully tricked out with 116 ranged attack that will murder 3 of my goblins"

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 5, 2021

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, my Sarge usually has a crossbow out when we start. Anything to help trick the AI into attacking my dudes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The most annoying part of seed generation for me is that I love fighting orcs and hate fighting goblins and it seems like every map makes 90% of the wilderness goblin territory and relegates orcs to some tiny corner that takes five days to get to, and I never learn this until I start making deep wilderness expeditions around day 50.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
welp I took on my first holy site defense, and before I got there it got taken over by the north. so now the faction I was trading with hates me and the southern nation is now displeased with me. I think my only real option is to try and trick a northern faction into a combo battle with a south to salvage this situation

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Oh sweet. Thanks!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

all I can say is gently caress necrosavants

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The retreat mechanic is really loving stupid sometimes. Just getting brothers deciding not to move four hex's back and instead they'll move two back and two down/up for no apparent reason, getting them caught.

Back to manually doing it before calling the retreat i guess.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I picked this back up, but I hate Ifrits. They are by no means hard, compared to every other enemy, but their specific brand of bullshit is just incredibly frustrating. How does every stupid action they take heal them to full? A near-death big guy should split into three near death little guys, and a three near death little guys should become one near death big guy.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
Yeah I hate fighting them for this reason.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I started a casual cultist game to explore the background and made it through the first sacrifice without too much trouble since my guys were in high spirits before it happened. A bit of coin in the tavern fixed the morale of my non culty bois and a procession in a swamp town bolstered my culty ranks further. Feels like I'm in a good spot and I'm now gonna try and farm raider gear. I assume the strat is to have two lv 1 cripples/beggars in your group at all times for future sac events? I recruit my non culty bois with them dying in mind but it still kinda sucks if you have to shank a decent bro that you could have converted eventually

Veryslightlymad posted:

I picked this back up, but I hate Ifrits.
Their mechanic isn't fun but at least simple. Shields up and only attack the small ones. The only time you should attack the medium ones is if their turn is done and you have a ton of attacks left on them to kill them. Otherwise it's a waste of time and fatigue. Never attack the big ones imo. I too avoid these fights but mainly because the chances for wounds are so drat high

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Tin Tim posted:

I started a casual cultist game to explore the background and made it through the first sacrifice without too much trouble since my guys were in high spirits before it happened. A bit of coin in the tavern fixed the morale of my non culty bois and a procession in a swamp town bolstered my culty ranks further. Feels like I'm in a good spot and I'm now gonna try and farm raider gear. I assume the strat is to have two lv 1 cripples/beggars in your group at all times for future sac events? I recruit my non culty bois with them dying in mind but it still kinda sucks if you have to shank a decent bro that you could have converted eventually

Their mechanic isn't fun but at least simple. Shields up and only attack the small ones. The only time you should attack the medium ones is if their turn is done and you have a ton of attacks left on them to kill them. Otherwise it's a waste of time and fatigue. Never attack the big ones imo. I too avoid these fights but mainly because the chances for wounds are so drat high

Naw, they're super easy. If you do kill a medium one, it'll still spawn small ones, but one less. So there's a bit of a gamble here. This is mostly salt because it's ridiculous that you can take them to 1 HP and they'll be all "Naw, I'm at full again". Healing to that degree is super annoying, and if they had anything approaching the ability to hit your guys, they'd be OP. Luckily, they basically can't. Mostly they're a time-waster, but another example of how bad later added enemy design is compared to earlier designed enemies.

Nonetheless, I'll pretty much always take an Ifrit contract, because they're ridiculously lucrative. Not only do the contracts themselves seem to be for more money than the challenge is worth, but they'll drop sulfur which sells for a pretty penny.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I've been playing around with some early game builds and I can't decide if I love or hate dagger spec.

The build is basically aimed at getting geared up asap. The idea is adrenaline, pathfinder, dagger spec, shield spec, recover (maybe crippling and executioner, maybe fast adaptation haven't tried those yet).

The idea is have 2 bros who identify a target with armor you want, drop on them, land 10 punctures real fast (2 then adren then 3 more) drop the target and recover.

It kinda works, both as a priority target removal early game, and gear farmer.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

One that I do like is the headchopper.

Flail duelist that uses flail spec and head hunter to proc a guaranteed head then quick hands an axe or something to make use of it.

Flail boys are good for the early farm and this helps them stay relevant for longer.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
If you're dead set on doing dagger specialists, I would say fast adaptation is a must. Crippling strikes is w/e, most of the time you will be doing enough damage to meet the injury threshold and there's also the fact that huge chunks of enemies are immune to injury or have big enough health pools to functionally be immune. Honestly, I don't think you need to specialize, I've always been able to shank the people I want early game by leaving them for last and surrounding with 5+ bros. Honestly recover is more important than any other perk for this since puncture is so fatigue-intensive. I've said it before, puncture is just too underwhelming as a main damage tool - it's attached to a weapon with low base damage, it doesn't benefit from double grip or duelist, it has a massive fatigue cost, and to top it all off, comes with an aiming malus. You can have two bros that puncture 3 times a turn (for about two turns until they are out of stam), or you can have 3 bros do 2 punctures - the results are super similar in the early game.

The qatal dagger from the Blazing Deserts DLC is a much better choice for a dagger specialist in the long run, you can pick the gladiator origin to get a bro who will be a natural w/ it or can score one from weaponsmiths in the Southern City-States for a pretty reasonable 1.2k-ish. I would recommend overwhelm and nimble/dodge on a high-initiative brother to take advantage of the three attacks a turn. Unlike the regular daggers, the qatal actually does benefit from double grip and/or duelist. They will typically get a regular dagger in their pocket as well for armor-stealing but honestly, the deathblow skill when used appropriately gets something like 90%+ armor penetration so you may not need to swap.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

Nonetheless, I'll pretty much always take an Ifrit contract, because they're ridiculously lucrative. Not only do the contracts themselves seem to be for more money than the challenge is worth, but they'll drop sulfur which sells for a pretty penny.
Yeah the sulfur and glittering rocks do sell well. I just get annoyed by having to deal with the broken bones afterwards because even at 80+ health in full armor the fling attacks the big and medium ones do have crazy high wound chances

Veryslightlymad posted:

Mostly they're a time-waster, but another example of how bad later added enemy design is compared to earlier designed enemies.
Can't argue with that

Also at day 30 of casual cultists and I'm really anxious for the next sac event. I picked up these rubes in my reserve for a reason dang it. At least my culty bois insta converted the guy I picked up to be my banner bro

"Hello guys I'm new!"

"Hmm..how do you feel about the all consuming darkness?"

"Sounds nifty!"

"ONE OF US ONE OF US"

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 7, 2021

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

rideANDxORdie posted:

If you're dead set on doing dagger specialists, I would say fast adaptation is a must. Crippling strikes is w/e, most of the time you will be doing enough damage to meet the injury threshold and there's also the fact that huge chunks of enemies are immune to injury or have big enough health pools to functionally be immune. Honestly, I don't think you need to specialize, I've always been able to shank the people I want early game by leaving them for last and surrounding with 5+ bros. Honestly recover is more important than any other perk for this since puncture is so fatigue-intensive. I've said it before, puncture is just too underwhelming as a main damage tool - it's attached to a weapon with low base damage, it doesn't benefit from double grip or duelist, it has a massive fatigue cost, and to top it all off, comes with an aiming malus. You can have two bros that puncture 3 times a turn (for about two turns until they are out of stam), or you can have 3 bros do 2 punctures - the results are super similar in the early game.

The qatal dagger from the Blazing Deserts DLC is a much better choice for a dagger specialist in the long run, you can pick the gladiator origin to get a bro who will be a natural w/ it or can score one from weaponsmiths in the Southern City-States for a pretty reasonable 1.2k-ish. I would recommend overwhelm and nimble/dodge on a high-initiative brother to take advantage of the three attacks a turn. Unlike the regular daggers, the qatal actually does benefit from double grip and/or duelist. They will typically get a regular dagger in their pocket as well for armor-stealing but honestly, the deathblow skill when used appropriately gets something like 90%+ armor penetration so you may not need to swap.

Oh I'm in agreement, it's not a good build really or for anything past maybe shaking a few mercs / nobles after you get 110 then it's basically useless.

I was mainly playing around with different ways to start the gear train with crap bros rather than an actual late game build.

Having played a few more hours, it's actually quite good at grabbing an extra set or two of armor from mercs/supply caravans in what is a fight dangerous enough I'd normally settle for 1 sure thing and hope to get lucky with a second set. It actually underperforms on raiders cause there are so many sets and chances. You just don't need anything it gives you, an adrenaline flail bro or double grip spear guy does it better.

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 7, 2021

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Whoever it was that said start out small and then build your way up- seriously thanks. It's like playing on easy mode. I started off as just 3 gladiators and picked up a former gladiator in a random event and now all 4 are at least level 11. It is so fun to just mow down large groups of brigands and nechubbers like they're nothing. I'm at day 90, and I'm thinking I should probably start to expand my company by now as the level ups only give +1 to stats at this point.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Yeah, I would have expanded out a while ago, you might struggle with the crisis but you can usually avoid most of it and then have a good 50 or so days to get ready for the next one.

The part of the game that sets difficulty and scaling see no differnece between a party of 1 and a party of 6. So unless you're playing some kind of self imposed challenge you might as well go to 6 fairly quickly.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I've finally got a cultist origin off the ground lmao
I think I've got about 5 pages of bros on my obituaries page, which doesn't include the like 12 or so that have left the company over sacrifices. Inconveniently the first legendary item I found was an incredibly good fencing sword:

It's pretty much impossible to make good use of it on any background that can become a cultist, but eventually I felt spicy enough to hire an assassin and the first one I hired has 3 stars in melee attack and 1 in mdef :v: Unfortunately his melee attack roll sucked and was near the minimum, and also I haven't seen a single goddamn hyena outside of the arena this whole campaign so I can't give him a hyena-skin mantle.

I really wish alchemists sold happy powder, it took me so long to build up a team that I felt would be safe to take on necrosavants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Might be a rundundant tip but for necro savants nets are super helpful.