Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Yup.

The only reason Terran has a chance against zerg is that about 8 stimpacked marines are basically critical mass able to mow down unlimited amount of zerglings while the stim lasts. Add tanks when the Zerg has the bioball counter online and science vessels to push.

And hope you can destroy the Zerg before they finish their transition to their lategame powerhouses. Or that you scouted the early spire so you know you can rush them before mutalisks come out to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Zerglings are also allergic to lemon juice apparently

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Space Kablooey posted:

Zerglings are also allergic to lemon juice apparently

Yet, like lobster, they taste so good with it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hey, according to SC2 mutalisks are considered good eating by Terrans...

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Cythereal posted:

If it was SC1 on the other hand, they wouldn't dare eat a mutalisk...

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Cythereal posted:

In a century or two, mutalisk will be considered fancy cuisine and your palette is just too unrefined to not want to eat the "space bugs."

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Either that or everyone who eats or has eaten mutalisk will sudddenly develop green skin and switch sides, praising the glory of the Overmind. In Blizzard, both outcomes are likely.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

achtungnight posted:

Either that or everyone who eats or has eaten mutalisk will sudddenly develop green skin and switch sides, praising the glory of the Overmind. In Blizzard, both outcomes are likely.

Either way, we must be ready to fight the zergeoisie.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

achtungnight posted:

Only if they're women who happen to be Chris Metzen's type.

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
For reasons that will become clear around the halfway point of this campaign, I propose that we name the player Cerebrate Abra, Abram, or some other Zergy mangling of Abraham.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Defeatist Elitist posted:

If it was SC1 on the other hand, they wouldn't dare eat a mutalisk...

Look, Abathur's got priorities.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Nah, there's a better option.

*ghost touches captured cerebrate and turns to face a crowd of marines*

"It is afraid!"

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I just played through Norad (Terran 6) on both Remastered and Mass Recall. It is harder (MR Normal) on Mass Recall, but that map is insanely more generous with resources. Keep in mind that this is SC1, Vespene is functionally infinite and I was keeping 3/4 SCVs on every geyser, but I mined out the MR version of the map and I ended up with everything researched, 200/200 supply with more than 20k minerals in the bank and well over 30k gas.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Loxbourne posted:

Only if they're women who happen to be Chris Metzen's type.

Did we cover a certain cutscene with Kerrigan yet? I think it should have happened in the Terran campaign, but I can't find a reference.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
An SSLP of a RTS game with janky mechanics that defined a significant portion of my childhood?

Man, I can't believe it took so long to find this. Ancient SC lore is always fascinating :allears:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Holy crap, an actual SSLP of Starcraft? How did I miss this, I'm in.

I've already learned a bunch of things I missed back in the day or just plain never knew:

- Goliath pilots not having a striped wetsuit cap, but a bald head with gasmask straps
- The tactic of building a barrack near Kodiak Norad II and breaking out this way
- The Goliath generic hero being the Escaflowne Alen Schezar (I saw him in the editor, but never made the connection, despite it being blindingly obvious in hindsight)
- trees giving cover (and how high ground cover works in general)
- that a Parasite on a detector can use that detector's detection

Also, a few comments:

What's the deal with electric devices randomly losing power near the Zerg (flashlight in Wasteland Patrol cutscene and Zealot blades in a future scene) I assume it's some relic of the early fluff being just roughly-sketched, but I've beaten both SC1 and SC2 and I don't remember a decent explanation for that.

What exactly is the Terran adjutant? An android? A willing human hooked up to a computer in turbo-autistic mode? An unwilling human butchered into cyborgry like 40k servitors? A vat-grown clone without a mind, just the organic stuff used as base for an AI?

And oh the irony of complaining about the Confederate flag at the beginning of the thread, only to have it torn down and replaced... by the emblem of a literal whip. "Glad you helped fight the regime, but now the cotton ain't gonna pick itself, so get to work!" I guess revolution devouring its children is a historical constant.

And finally, the most vital question:
Does the boot camp mission briefing still have the recipe for Chinese lemon chicken in the remaster?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pierzak posted:

What exactly is the Terran adjutant? An android?

Bingo. Starcraft 2 shows the full body of adjutants, and they're androids.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

The one thing about the Starcraft EU that's stuck with me all these years is that Mengsk, of all people, got suckered by the recruitment office when he was fresh out of high school.

Only 50%* of new soldiers ever see combat!

*The other 50% are either recruits that wash out in basic/suffer a training accident, or are convicts that have a bad reaction to resoc.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pierzak posted:

What's the deal with electric devices randomly losing power near the Zerg (flashlight in Wasteland Patrol cutscene and Zealot blades in a future scene) I assume it's some relic of the early fluff being just roughly-sketched, but I've beaten both SC1 and SC2 and I don't remember a decent explanation for that.

Pretty sure there isn't. I think it's more of a thing that happens in horror sci fi so they just put it in without too much thought. Though the flashlight failed after the Zerg attacked, in that particular case, so I always assumed it just ran out of batteries.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Bingo. Starcraft 2 shows the full body of adjutants, and they're androids.
So why the human head then? Just because a creepy robot face is still a face and thus easier to talk to?

Space Kablooey posted:

I always assumed it just ran out of batteries.
Pretty sure flashlights don't work that way, and sci-fi flashlights flickering out when they run out of juice is more than I can believe in a game with super-biotech collective minds and psychic powers.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm sure it will be discussed more when we get to those later cutscenes but after all these years I've just looked at the cutscenes as creative license for events that lead into the briefing of your next mission (or in the case of an upcoming one, having fun with the results of the mission you just completed). Before Diablo 2 the cutscenes in Blizzard games never really seemed to be based in the reality of how the games actually played, the opening for Diablo is just spooky nonsense, the Warcraft 2 cutscene where an Alliance soldier takes down a zeppelin with a catapult. Don't get me wrong, those cutscenes are all really cool but they don't really progress the story the way Marius' conversation with TyraelBaal explains why the player character is always arriving just a few minutes too late, or how the pre-rendered cutscenes in Warcraft 3 are awesome capstones to each campaign (Arthas committing regicide, the destruction of Dalaran, the showdown against Mannoroth) and based entirely around the major plot events from said campaign.

Perhaps part of it is because of stuff like Starcraft going through huge changes but there not being enough time or resources to change things already completed, like the intro cutscene and the Protoss beam weapon that is never seen or spoken of ever again. It could also be that Blizzard, at the time, didn't have the resources to craft cutscenes that always made sense and so instead they made ones that were still cool and were tangentially related to what was happening. Again, could be due to lack of time from a production perspective or lack of a cohesive vision within the dev cycle. Blizzard wasn't the juggernaut we think of today while Starcraft was being made

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pierzak posted:

So why the human head then? Just because a creepy robot face is still a face and thus easier to talk to?

Yeah. You'll see a full adjutant in 2, but in short they're robot heads and torsos plugged into a computer as an interface to talk to.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I just played mission 7 of the Terran campaign - Trump Card - on both Remastered and Mass Recall. Keep in mind that I am very poor at this type of game: a competent strategist who lacks the reflexes to be in 7 places at once. The Remastered version went fine, but I really saw the difference in difficulty between original SC and MR in this mission. The MR version took forever as there are only two real mineral patches, both fairly meagre, and the AI really likes sending death waves of tanks and wraiths at the player. I cannot tell you how many times the AI would out of nowhere send 12 tanks and/or wraiths with 20 marines at me at the map's one huge chokepoint, and I would never have the resources to rebuild. There is a third, also meagre mineral patch, but it's basically only available after the mission is over. In the original game I cleared out the whole map for giggles, but for MR I got the <bleep> out of there as quickly as possible.

I also ran into a bug in Mass Recall where the game will not let me save, so I spent ages rewinding to try again because I refused to start over. Possibly due to the same bug that I just mentioned, when I finally did beat the mission and see the final cutscene the bloody game didn't unlock the next one, so this time I just reloaded Trump Card and used the instant win cheat. What a palaver and what a miserable experience.

I then did (spoilers for a mission that we did not see) the hidden mission 'Biting the Bullet' in MR. I had some false starts on this one because the AI loves to send in a dozen overlords at a time over the ocean to do drops, but it was good fun. However, I basically broke the plot in this mission because I took out what was supposed to be the final base in the far upper-right corner too early. The player is supposed to destroy the central base first, get a huge fleet of maxed-out carriers and scouts from Tasadar, and then unleash hell on the 1 o'clock base. I ended up getting this cutscene with literally one tiny Zerg structure left that I hadn't seen, so a fun mission with a story anti-climax because I'm a silly sausage.

Next mission is #8 - the Big Push. I remember having a lot of problems with this in MR before.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, Mass Recall, in order to make up for the game's UI making everything so much easier, they made the AI attack in much larger numbers.

As for Adjutants, I assume it's just "Robot face is a face", but the actual AI itself is cannibalized from the on-board AI from the original Arc-ships that sent the Terrans to the Koprulu Sector in the first place. The original AI in question is *way* more advanced than the Adjutants, but the Koprulans did their best.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Welcome to the Starcraft SSLP! I’m Zasz. The other cerebrate’s name is Daggoth. How to tell us apart? I’m in green, he’s in blue. Simple, really.

Mission 2: Egression

(As a child I didn't know "egression" was a word and thought the mission name was a pun combining "egg" and "aggression" :v:)

I am well pleased, young cerebrate, and so long as my prize remains intact, I shall remain pleased. Thus, its life and yours shall be made as one. As it prospers, so shall you. For you are part of the Swarm. If ever your flesh should fail, that flesh shall be made anew. That is my covenant with all Cerebrates.

Now you have grown strong enough to bear the rigors of warp travel with the Swarm. Thus we shall make our exit from this blasted world and secure the Chrysalis within the Hive cluster; upon the planet Char.

Remnants of the Protoss fleet still linger within this planet’s orbit. They will attempt to block our exodus at every turn.

My Brood shall aid you, Cerebrate, should you require assistance.

Mission Objectives:

Bring the Chrysalis to the beacon.

Here’s our start:

The game was kind enough to give us two Hatcheries to start. This introduces the concept of the “Macro Hatch.” A Macro Hatch is an additional Hatchery within a base, not added to be a drop off point for workers but simply there to produce more units. Starting with one is a big deal and allows us to get our economy off to a huge start.

You also might have noticed this:

The mighty Mutalisk is now a part of our roster. They’re amazing.

Anyway, the objective. Here, behind our base (and a wall of Mysterious Red Hydralisks) is the Chrysalis.

Here, on the other side of the map, is the beacon we need to bring it to.

Note that Zerg beacons look different from Terran ones.

Let’s go check out those Mysterious Red Hydralisks.

Do with my minions as you will, Cerebrate. They will serve you unquestioningly. Go and bring swift wrath to all who would oppose the Swarm.

(Fun fact: the remastered mistakenly uses Zasz’s portrait for this line. I've put Daggoth's here instead).

These Hydralisks are called Hunter Killers. See, with one notable exception, Zerg hero units work differently from Terrans. For the Zerg, “hero” units don’t represent exceptional individuals, but rather elite strains, too inefficient for mass production. Check it out:

160 HP, 20 damage, and they also have 2 armour. In terms of HP and damage, each Hunter Killer is exactly a double Hydralisk. Hydras have no base armour, though, so HKs get a considerable edge there. See, while the power difference between a Hunter Killer and a Hydra isn’t as great as, say, Jimmy and a Marine/Vulture, we also get six of them. Fitting for the Zerg.

You also might have noticed the lack of any new mission objectives: There’s no “Hunter Killers must survive” or any such shenanigans; they’re completely disposable. I could lose all of them, no harm done (spoiler alert: they will all survive because they are massively badass).

We also want to get up some defense, so I throw down some Creep Colonies to one day become Sunkens.

Hey, notice anything in that second picture?

Yep, a Zealot has come to party.

He’s screwed, but the tenacious bastard manages to kill a Drone before he goes. In case you didn’t believe the briefing, Protoss are our enemies here. Sadly, we won’t be seeing anything from them that we didn’t already see in Terran 09.

I plop down a third Hatchery here:

Mostly because I want one as close to the geyser as possible, because that’s a long trip otherwise. Of course, adding another Macro Hatch never hurts.

At some point I popped out some Zerglings, and they’re just in time to join the party. I really do want to emphasize the "at some point" there, because that's a core aspect of Zerglings: They're so cheap and quick to build that I could fart out an entire stack of them and thirty seconds later have no memory of doing so.

Dragoons are kinda like Zerglings: Incredibly deadly foes that currently serve as laughable cannon fodder. Fortunately we won’t need to wait until the Protoss campaign to see what they can really do, as the Protoss AI will get its act together later in this campaign. But for now, yeah. They just get turned into blue plasma-y salsa.

We live in a desolate hellscape where there are no ComSat Stations, so we send our Mutalisks out to have a look around instead.

They get a glimpse of a small defensive position outside our base, but they take a few stray shots as they pass by. Fortunately, that’s not a huge problem.

Every race has a method of healing; for Terran, it’s repairing buildings and mechanical units. Zerg, on the other hand, regenerate. All damaged Zerg units and buildings (except Eggs, for some reason) will regain ~0.4 HP every second. This generally isn’t always useful in the heat of combat, but it generally means that your forces will heal themselves up between battles.

One thing to note is that the first HP is regenerated almost as soon as damage is taken - i.e. a Zerg unit takes damage, regenerates 1 HP, then ~2.5 seconds after that regenerates another HP. This is a big factor in unit micro. Say you’ve got two Vultures and you’re looking to snipe a Drone. Vultures do 20 damage, Drones have 40 HP. But you’ve got to control your Vultures well - if the two grenades land simultaneously (or close to), the Drone will be one-shot. But if they land consecutively, the Drone will take 20 damage, regen up to 21 HP, take 20 damage, and still be left alive with 1 HP.

Anyway, all it means for us now is that we don’t need to worry too much about our Mutalisk being all battered.

We get up an Evolution Chamber for those sweet sweet upgrades:

Oh, and what’s this?

We can upgrade our Hatchery into a Lair. Carrying on the Warcraft tradition, the Zerg need to upgrade their main building in order to have access to more advanced tech; as a Zerg colony matures, the Overmind grants it deeper access to the shared knowledge of the Swarm, giving it more genetic blueprints.

Wait a bit and…

Here it is. Aside from giving us access to new buildings, it also has a nice HP boost over the Hatchery (1800 to the Hatch’s 1250). There’s a persistent rumour that Lairs generate larvae faster than Hatcheries, but as far as I can tell there’s no truth to it. In any case, there’s no real incentive for having more than one Lair; our other Hatcheries can stay as they are.

So… who’s up for some base raiding?

Seriously, Hunter-Killers are so good.

Haha, I had to show this one off:

So you see the Dragoon at the top of the stairs there? Stairs like those are almost impossible for Dragoons to navigate. They can use them, but it takes a great deal of time and patience - things that this Dragoon lacks as those Zerglings charge up to meet him.

South is more defenses, including a couple Scouts.

Scouts... really don't deal with Hydras well. Hunter Killers doubly so.

Oh hey, didn’t I say something about new buildings?

Boom. The Spire. It requires a Lair, and has an insanely long build time, but once complete it gives us our air units, allowing us to morph in Mutalisks (and also Scourge, but I don’t actually get any on this mission). It also serves as our air unit upgrade center - the Evolution Chamber of the skies, or, if you prefer, the Armory of Flesh.

And here we see the majesty of the Larva:

Plunk down a single building and suddenly all our unit production can be devoted to a wing of Mutalisks.

Here they go, ready for action:

Also, note the unit selection box at the bottom here:

See how I’ve got a Larva selected along with the nine Mutas? I’m going to do a full mechanicspost on this, but it’s a strange little quirk called Magic Boxing. The short of it is that air units try to spread out, but if they’re selected along with something far away, they’ll clump together instead, like so:

By clumping together, air units are able to focus their fire and do considerably more damage than they’d be able to do spread out. Watch them carve a path of destruction through these Dragoons:

Magic Boxing works with any air unit, by the way, but Mutalisks are by far where it’s seen the most.

Oh, have I mentioned that Mutalisks do splash? Kinda? They have a “bouncing” attack - their attack hits a target, then bounces to a nearby target, then bounces to a third target, doing less damage each time (full numbers and math involved will be in the Spotlight). That’s another advantage of Magic Boxing them - by clustering all together, they’re also scattering their bouncing shots throughout the same targets, killing things a lot quicker.

Well, the front third of the path is clear, and the back third is clear, that just leaves the middle.

Our Mutas fly in and hit them from the south…

While our Hydras come in from the north:

Our Hydras also go to pillage the main Protoss base here:

Why? For two reasons. First, because I could have sworn that there was a previously-unseen Protoss unit on this map, and it wasn’t until I’d ransacked their base that I finally accepted my memory was wrong. Second, because Hunter-Killers are awesome and we haven’t given them the spotlight they deserve.

Also, here’s something I mentioned in the Terran campaign, but didn’t show:

See how that Gateway says Unpowered? It means that it hasn’t got a Pylon nearby and as a result isn’t able to function; no units can be produced from it unless they replace the Pylons I blew up.

With the few Protoss survivors bloodied and bruised, it’s time to finish this.

Go, little Drone, go!

Like the Psi Emitter, if this Drone died the Chrysalis would just stay on the ground for another Drone to pick up.

Prepare yourself, Cerebrate. Your first jump through warp space could be… unsettling.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Whinepost: Mr. Clean Is Not My Lover

Thank you everyone so much for your patience while these updates slowed to a crawl. We've spent the last twelve days scrubbing our new apartment. Twelve days just dealing with all the grime left behind by the previous tenant. Believe it or not, it was the best available apartment. Things are finally almost clean, so we can start unpacking and updates should resume a regular clip.

Also, during this time I got to learn firsthand what bleaching walls has in common with COVID: It'll get you real sick if you're in a confined area and don't wear a mask. You'd think that would be obvious. You'd think.

Okay, actually it got me barely sick. For like, not even a day. But "barely sick" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Anyway, some cheese to go with that whine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARW5DFi42Ys

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
I actually looked up what Egression meant while playing Mass Recall last week. According to Dictionary.com Egress means:

quote:

noun
-the act or an instance of going, especially from an enclosed place.
-a means or place of going out; an exit.
-the right or permission to go out.
-Astronomy. emersion (def. 1).

verb (used without object)
-to go out; emerge.

So the mission could just have been titled 'Departure'.

Anyway, back when I played this mission back in the original Starcraft I didn't use the Hunter-Killers and kept them back with the chrysalis. Little me was afraid to lose the red special units.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Zerglings, hydralisks, mutalisks. That's the Zerg core right there. Everything else in the Zerg roster can be defined by the question "How does this add to my ling/lisk/muta army?"

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Cythereal posted:

Zerglings, hydralisks, mutalisks. That's the Zerg core right there. Everything else in the Zerg roster can be defined by the question "How does this add to my ling/lisk/muta army?"

I agree... with the exception of zerglings being ground only, zerg has a core of versatile and well-rounded units. What makes Hydralisks quite good, and they sadly changed this in SC2, is that they are only one supply and are hands down the best 1 supply unit in the game. The player can make 200 of them, and I have in years past. I am looking forward to playing as the zerg in Mass Recall where I can have 200 in the same control group.

My favourite complementary unit that we haven't seen yet is from base SC. Apparently it's considered shite in competitive, but it's outstanding vs the AI due to its range. There is another great complementary unit added in BW that will be fun to see.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

JohnKilltrane posted:

Like the Psi Emitter, if this Drone died the Chrysalis would just stay on the ground for another Drone to pick up.

Not completely true! There's a warning that triggers if the drone dies and a 2 minute countdown to failure. I was sure that I had experienced it before, so I tested it out. Turns out there is some weirdness.

When I sent a drone with the chrysalis alone into the enemy, it started the countdown. The countdown stopped when I moved my units to kill the enemies near it, without needing a drone to pick it back up. I sent one to try it again, but instead of doing the countdown, the chrysalis was transported back to its start beacon.

I did this whole cycle one more time, with the same results. First, I got the warning, then it was warped back. I assume having units nearby prevents the countdown from happening.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Dr Christmas posted:

Not completely true! There's a warning that triggers if the drone dies and a 2 minute countdown to failure. I was sure that I had experienced it before, so I tested it out. Turns out there is some weirdness.

rest of game spoilers: Man, how much suffering could the entire sector have been spared if that zealot just stabbed the Chrysalis then and there. :sigh:

TitanG
May 10, 2015

JohnKilltrane posted:

Whinepost: Mr. Clean Is Not My Lover

Thank you everyone so much for your patience while these updates slowed to a crawl. We've spent the last twelve days scrubbing our new apartment. Twelve days just dealing with all the grime left behind by the previous tenant. Believe it or not, it was the best available apartment. Things are finally almost clean, so we can start unpacking and updates should resume a regular clip.

Also, during this time I got to learn firsthand what bleaching walls has in common with COVID: It'll get you real sick if you're in a confined area and don't wear a mask. You'd think that would be obvious. You'd think.

Okay, actually it got me barely sick. For like, not even a day. But "barely sick" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Anyway, some cheese to go with that whine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARW5DFi42Ys

Why would you bleach walls and not just paint over with some nicotine-covering paint or something similar?
Also: Meglio lo Sgrassatore (or whatever the local equivalent of brutal degreaser) and magic sponges are your friend, always and forever. Scotch-brite if you really have to scour (which you shouldn't, if you're using the right cleaning products).

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

JohnKilltrane posted:

Welcome to the Starcraft SSLP! I’m Zasz. The other cerebrate’s name is Daggoth. How to tell us apart? I’m in green, he’s in blue. Simple, really.

Okay. Guess who I am. Daggoth? Or Zasz?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Erwin the German posted:

Okay. Guess who I am. Daggoth? Or Zasz?

I want to know which one lies and which one tells the truth

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I want to know which one lies and which one tells the truth

they switch mid-sentence

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
There are three cerebrates:

One who tells the truth, except when it would be funny to lie.

One who lies, except when it would be funny to tell the truth.

And one who has no ability to comprehend objective reality and just says whatever the hell comes into their mind pretty much always.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

NewMars posted:

There are three cerebrates:

One who tells the truth, except when it would be funny to lie.

One who lies, except when it would be funny to tell the truth.

And one who has no ability to comprehend objective reality and just says whatever the hell comes into their mind pretty much always.

Ah, but you're forgetting the fourth cerebrate, who just kind of wobbles awkwardly in silence, while everyone else talks around\at them. Presumably just staring at them. 👀

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Are Daggoth and Zasz the only named Cerebrates in the game? There are a bunch later that Zeratul, Tassadar and the UED kill in their various adventures and a few named in the manual but I think these are the only two of any plot importance.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

ninjahedgehog posted:

Are Daggoth and Zasz the only named Cerebrates in the game? There are a bunch later that Zeratul, Tassadar and the UED kill in their various adventures and a few named in the manual but I think these are the only two of any plot importance.

They're the only two named in-game in the main campaigns. There are a bunch more in the manual and various side materials. The green Fenris Brood is led by Nargil, as a relentless hunter/tracker brood, also responsible for looking for new species to assimilate. The white Baelrog Brood is led by Gorn, the terror brood, let loose to sow terror and confusion in enemy ranks and genuinely be absolutely terrifying even by Zerg standards. The purple Jormungand Brood is led by Araq, and is generally the most heavy-handed force, whereas Garm led by Zasz likes pre-emptive attacks, Araq comes in next to clean up any resistance with sheer force of numbers and brute force. Finally, the blue Surtur Brood led by Kagg. These are the guys who get let loose when Jormungand/Araq can't quite finish the job, and these guys are basically the Zerg's Nuclear Option, as they are so destructive and chaotic that they eradicate even friendly zerg forces when let loose, and are kept restrained when not being unleashed.

This all comes from the original SC1 manual.

(I will note that just because we control a given color of zerg does not necessarily mean we are playing as that cerebrate - more than one brood can have the same color. We are, for example, not playing as Araq in the current campaign, we are a brand new Cerebrate created by the Overmind for this very specific purpose we have been given; that being, watching over the Chrysalis.)

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

IIRC tje chrysalis is kerrigan right?