Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its english used as dog-and-pony-show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Speaking of articles, I really like the wording and semantics on this one

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202110/1235793.shtml

A linguist should do a study on those things.
So this is a person who is probably genuinely offended by people merely disagreeing with the propaganda narrative, and they essentially try to work out an argument for why this is not only bad and offensive, but downright morally wrong. In so doing, they obviously use some sort of "phrase book" and an English thesaurus.
Now, as a non-native English speaker I can never be sure of these things, but I feel this article is sort of revealing of the mindset of the author and the propaganda department's narrative.

- For example, I don't think a Western person would use the word blasphemy in this context, let alone the headline
- Next, the author essentially states that "objectivity" actually promotes the US-perspective (heh) because it counters the "the mainstream memory and values of Chinese society about the war".There's a lot in this sentence already.
- When they write Chinese soldiers, they often add some non-sequitur adjectives like "the admirable Chinese soldiers". It is not enough to make an argument, the sentence has to have more color in it.

They write "This has completely gone beyond discussion about a historical event and become a provocation." but then again, reiterate that we are not speaking about someone making up facts or propaganda. Instead, the discussion has gone "beyond historical events" by touching on the "objective truth" of the event, which the author implicitly admits contradicts the Chinese folk narrative and therefore "such provocateurs will be spurned by the public."

An important argument is then that "in any society, such profanity will drown in the spit of the public." So, contradicting the perhaps not quite accurate folk lore of the Chinese people would mean that such "objectivists" would "find themselves in only the quirky minority of society."
For many of us, this would merely be a tautology. Instead, for a Chinese person, this argument obviously has weight. It is so important, the author pivots within the article - first talking about how such narratives are disgusting and finally mostly talking about how they would lead to societal isolation.

The author is, of course, editor in chief of that newspaper.

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Booshit > Chinathread: such profanity will drown in the spit of the public

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Machado de Assis posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Booshit > Chinathread: such profanity will drown in the spit of the public

I don't know man, pretty sure that's just a fetish.

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su

BrassRoots posted:

I have this weird feeling that once they are tested militarily that they will find out that all their 18chrome steel or whatever is actually only 14chrome steel and poo poo just falls apart because some guys was siphoning off a few millions to buy condos in Canada and Australia.

This. Lots "analysts" are clueless dunces. They think that merely counting the number of something, and then comparing that to another country's numbers is a valid exercise. Like China has 3,370 military aircraft, and the U.S. has 5,047, as such, China's Air Force is 67% as strong as the U.S. or some similar bullshit.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Speaking of articles, I really like the wording and semantics on this one

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202110/1235793.shtml

A linguist should do a study on those things.
So this is a person who is probably genuinely offended by people merely disagreeing with the propaganda narrative, and they essentially try to work out an argument for why this is not only bad and offensive, but downright morally wrong. In so doing, they obviously use some sort of "phrase book" and an English thesaurus.
Now, as a non-native English speaker I can never be sure of these things, but I feel this article is sort of revealing of the mindset of the author and the propaganda department's narrative.

- For example, I don't think a Western person would use the word blasphemy in this context, let alone the headline
- Next, the author essentially states that "objectivity" actually promotes the US-perspective (heh) because it counters the "the mainstream memory and values of Chinese society about the war".There's a lot in this sentence already.
- When they write Chinese soldiers, they often add some non-sequitur adjectives like "the admirable Chinese soldiers". It is not enough to make an argument, the sentence has to have more color in it.

I don't know if the choice of words is really meaningful here, because I doubt that Western readers are the intended audience of the article. It's (probably) a performance to show that the editor is a loyal party member, so it's using language that other party members will recognise and approve of.

Haramstufe Rot posted:

They write "This has completely gone beyond discussion about a historical event and become a provocation." but then again, reiterate that we are not speaking about someone making up facts or propaganda. Instead, the discussion has gone "beyond historical events" by touching on the "objective truth" of the event, which the author implicitly admits contradicts the Chinese folk narrative and therefore "such provocateurs will be spurned by the public."

An important argument is then that "in any society, such profanity will drown in the spit of the public." So, contradicting the perhaps not quite accurate folk lore of the Chinese people would mean that such "objectivists" would "find themselves in only the quirky minority of society."
For many of us, this would merely be a tautology. Instead, for a Chinese person, this argument obviously has weight. It is so important, the author pivots within the article - first talking about how such narratives are disgusting and finally mostly talking about how they would lead to societal isolation.

The author is, of course, editor in chief of that newspaper.

It's startlingly open and transparent in its position. "You might be factually correct, but you're still wrong"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

grellgraxer posted:

This. Lots "analysts" are clueless dunces. They think that merely counting the number of something, and then comparing that to another country's numbers is a valid exercise. Like China has 3,370 military aircraft, and the U.S. has 5,047, as such, China's Air Force is 67% as strong as the U.S. or some similar bullshit.

The most underappreciated thing about the PRC air force is engines. Making good jet engines is extremely difficult and only a few places in the world can do it. None of those are in China. It's likely their jets can't fly for all that long before the engines need to be replaced and who knows how many extras they have sitting around. Again, a field they're working on and will figure out eventually, but right now it's very possible they could only sustain air operations for a couple weeks.

In other news, looks like non-state media is maybe officially being banned:

https://twitter.com/yaling_jiang/status/1446497729035837493

It's not like there was a lot of independent journalism going on anyway so it doesn't change much, but interesting they're talking about making it formal.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Well this is something

https://twitter.com/pitdesi/status/1445118812659933187

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This is the kind of post I'm here for. lmao

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

The most underappreciated thing about the PRC air force is engines. Making good jet engines is extremely difficult and only a few places in the world can do it. None of those are in China. It's likely their jets can't fly for all that long before the engines need to be replaced and who knows how many extras they have sitting around. Again, a field they're working on and will figure out eventually, but right now it's very possible they could only sustain air operations for a couple weeks.

In other news, looks like non-state media is maybe officially being banned:

https://twitter.com/yaling_jiang/status/1446497729035837493

It's not like there was a lot of independent journalism going on anyway so it doesn't change much, but interesting they're talking about making it formal.

Would that also apply to private bloggers and stuff?

They tend to get disappeared or make apology videos quite often already.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grand Fromage posted:

In defense planning you can't just assume your opponent's equipment is crap that doesn't work, that's incredibly irresponsible.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh my god lol!! That’s the stuff right there

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

In defense planning you can't just assume your opponent's equipment is crap that doesn't work, that's incredibly irresponsible.

Good thing I'm just some random dude on the internet and not a defense planner, I guess.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grand Fromage posted:

Good thing I'm just some random dude on the internet and not a defense planner, I guess.

Fair point. I'm a military historian so I have a different outlook on those sorts of predictions.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yes. This is the cyberpunk future I want to live in

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Now imagine a cyber attack with the full force of a nation state behind it and not some rival toy company.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i am not a defense planner so i cannot comment

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

<waves hand vaguely in the direction of Operation Useless Dirt and the infamous Grover post>

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

This is the kind of post I'm here for. lmao
:hmmyes:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
lol, what are those drones doing up there?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ninjoatse.cx posted:

lol, what are those drones doing up there?

Obviously not staying up there.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
The drones simulate China's blue water Navy capabilities.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Don Gato posted:

He's funded by Epoch Times which is wholly owned by Falun Gong.

According to him, I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYBUPOw9Sdw&t=271s

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
My classroom becomes ever-more adorned with brightly coloured Xi Jinping Thought posters.
The students pay less attention to them than they do to my original posters about thermodynamics, which I didn't think was even possible.

Seriously though, education is being strictly brought in line at present, from top to bottom.
Little practical difference for me so far, because I deal with science, but humanities subjects are having an interesting time.

Even with my focus, though, backup plans are being made to either move sectors (get back into science or management) or move countries.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Fair point. I'm a military historian so I have a different outlook on those sorts of predictions.

Wrong thread but the history of the accuracy of US predictions of USSR war capacity and the incorrect recommendations thereof might be instructive.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Atopian posted:

My classroom becomes ever-more adorned with brightly coloured Xi Jinping Thought posters.
The students pay less attention to them than they do to my original posters about thermodynamics, which I didn't think was even possible.

Seriously though, education is being strictly brought in line at present, from top to bottom.
Little practical difference for me so far, because I deal with science, but humanities subjects are having an interesting time.

Even with my focus, though, backup plans are being made to either move sectors (get back into science or management) or move countries.

Did you guys start doing more of those """Marxism""" classes too?

They're such bullshit, there's like no Marxism and all "party history" and Xi Jinping thought. I feel like I got more of an actual Marxism education by having one cool Marxist history teacher in high school.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Atopian posted:

Just cross your fingers that a Chinese Lysenko doesn't emerge.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

BrainDance posted:

They're such bullshit, there's like no Marxism and all "party history" and Xi Jinping thought. I feel like I got more of an actual Marxism education by having one cool Marxist history teacher in high school.

Not technically more, but the ones the school was doing voluntarily in order to synch up with government standards are now compulsory.

I'm left as hell myself but yeah, those classes don't really touch on the mechanics of anything other than "$famous_leftist is good! Now, generic patriotic platitudes!"

They're certainly not hostile to left politics, but also they don't say much of substance about them.
And then everything else outside school is Make Money Erryday Look At These Billionaires They Made Bank You Should Too, so...?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah it's not like scientific issues ever get politicized or anything

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Devils Affricate posted:

Yeah it's not like scientific issues ever get politicized or anything

Everything gets politicised eventually as you ride the authoritarianism train, but stuff that's consensus enough to be taught to highschool students is typically low on that list in China. No Lysenko here, and no fundamentalist Christians.

You'd presumably already be living in the approaching HalfLife2-style dystopia before it became too obvious in terms of highschool science topics.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Atopian posted:

When Xi finds his version of Lysenko, all those thermodynamics posters will be used at your trial.

I hope this is a joke

EDIT:

Tupperwarez posted:

Just cross your fingers that a Chinese Lysenko doesn't emerge.

Goddamn it.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 9, 2021

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

When Xi finds his version of Lysenko, all those thermodynamics posters will be used at your trial.

I hope this is a joke

If they reject thermodynamics, I should request death by burning.

And yeah, I'm out of here long before that point.
If things don't turn around, or at least come to a halt, then I'll be without a job far sooner.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The recent wave of "secret US soldiers in Taiwan" articles are so loving dumb chat because 1. us soldiers have been around multiple times since 1979 when they changed recognition 2. there have always been contractors here (last year a coworker's husband was teaching Taiwanese military how to fly helicopters) and 3. THIS WASN'T A SECRET - several co-workers in the past year had been to bars with us soldiers, and hung out with them. this was not spy ops

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I'm trying to imagine the standard US military trying spy ops, and my mind is inexorably drawn to the image of a warthog just unloading on a building, its sides blazoned with: "(definitely not the) USAF"

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Did China ban Santa Claus yet

edit: this might sound like a joke but it's a serious question, is like Santa Claus hats and christmas stuff not sold there

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Christmas is a huge sales day, got to keep it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ulmont posted:

Wrong thread but the history of the accuracy of US predictions of USSR war capacity and the incorrect recommendations thereof might be instructive.

So might the German ones.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Did China ban Santa Claus yet

edit: this might sound like a joke but it's a serious question, is like Santa Claus hats and christmas stuff not sold there

Please refer to him by his traditional Chinese name, Christmas Old Man.

No, Christmas is popular because materialism.

BrainDance posted:

Hmmm... so Communism... with Chinese characteristics?!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't think Grand Fromage is planning on going to war with China?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Look, WW1 came as a surprise too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

As long as I can keep getting Sichuan pantry ingredients the peace shall remain.