Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
it is my humble opinion that the speedbooster puzzles are actually quite irritating

im sorry game but I dont have the necessary reflexes to navigate the room in the two seconds i have before the super dash ability expires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

what is this privileged poo poo, she can't afford to have a spare screw attack laying around on a bounty hunter's salary, she already has to scrounge for them secondhand picking them off dead chozo

tbh i like to think she's fine for 99% of bounties and then there's just occasional "oops it was chozo bullshit after all" missions that are simultaneously "the only situations where something can make her lose her powers" and "the only situations where there would be any hope of coincidentally finding compatible chozo tech"

at this point I'd probably hit the eject button on any mission the first time I see a chozo statue if it's not already too late

Man, can you imagine how much Samus got paid for this mission? Planet possibly infested with civilization destroying John Carpenter Thing Parasites that can assimilate any organic matter, and she's the only person in the known cosmos who has immunity? There's not gonna be competition for this contract, there is no lower bidder here.

Like they TRIED to not have to call her for this, they sent the (probably really expensive) inorganic robots to scout the place out, and they all went dark anyway. No wonder they kinda forgot about the whole "wanted by the Federation for blowing up their assets in Fusion" thing, a full pardon was probably part of the price tag for this boondoggle.

After this, you can bet she's stocking a couple extra Screw Attack mods on the ship just in case. She can afford it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Ha, got the "unknown item found". Look, not my fault it was in a ridiculously easy spot in Artaria

Edit: And another one right after it after riding an elevator. If the only thing blocking me was a grapple missile block, I'm gonna pick it up

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 9, 2021

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Metroid thread please tell me where to go. I've been going in circles for hours. my wife is going to leave me if I can't find which way to go

You need to find a way to the upper area, above that E-tank

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Man, can you imagine how much Samus got paid for this mission?

adam's very first line in the game is "you are not getting paid enough for this mission"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Beat that drat bug but Christ. Hits like a tank, super fast, seeking missiles.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m also p. stuck in the second area not long after getting the upgrade that lets you climb blue walls

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

stev posted:

I'm gonna say it - there are way too many flying dickheads that launch themselves at you. I know they're easy to parry but they're everywhere.

The running melee attack tends to OHK them, if you want to just blitz your way through

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Metroid thread please tell me where to go. I've been going in circles for hours. my wife is going to leave me if I can't find which way to go

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, you opened up this thermal door and then never went back to re-explore that area.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Somebody please tell me what the hell I'm supposed to do in the underwater boss fight. This is garbage.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Frankston posted:

Somebody please tell me what the hell I'm supposed to do in the underwater boss fight. This is garbage.

You shoot the tentacle above its head. Then two big red buttons on both sides of the room will activate that you need to shoot repeatedly to lower the water level. You can cross the room by using the grapple beam to grab onto a magnet tile on the ceiling.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

thank you, friends, for helping to save my marriage. I'm out of the house now (counseling) but when I return I'll see if that's indeed the right area or if my map was just pulled down too far to show it

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

JordanKai posted:

You shoot the tentacle above its head. Then two big red buttons on both sides of the room will activate that you need to shoot repeatedly to lower the water level. You can cross the room by using the grapple beam to grab onto a magnet tile on the ceiling.

Ah, ok. I was so focused on the boss I didn't even notice those.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Frankston posted:

You need to hit the tentacle right above it in the center of the room. Then shoot the button on the wall until the water starts to drain. Then grapple hook up to blue carrying thing that takes you over the other side and repeat.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hot take: hidden blocks on the critical path without the previously-tutorialized flashing map to indicate hidden blocks is Bad

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hmm I am now three areas in and I can’t help but feel I am making really incredible progress, the trouble is that so many of the previous areas have a lot of hazard rooms and tiny holes I can’t access without being able to roll into a ball… also backtracking is quite difficult, I hope I’ll be able to have an easier time going back and that I’m not accidentally making progress and soft locking myself out of all the previous areas

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

most of them are pretty telegraphed tbqh, the crataris one the camera straight up pans over to show you there’s a room over there

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Al-Saqr posted:

Hmm I am now three areas in and I can’t help but feel I am making really incredible progress, the trouble is that so many of the previous areas have a lot of hazard rooms and tiny holes I can’t access without being able to roll into a ball… also backtracking is quite difficult, I hope I’ll be able to have an easier time going back and that I’m not accidentally making progress and soft locking myself out of all the previous areas

The game does the Fusion thing of "fully open before the last boss", at some point you can select teleport destinations outright instead of going from one-to-one so unless you really have troubles with a specific boss and want more health there's not a ton of value in premptively backtracking

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yay I beat it! 100% in a little over 10 hours, and it was great all the way through. Loved every boss (especially since they all killed me a good few times), liked the EMMIs, and only got really stuck one time.

Solving Shinespark puzzles is one of the most powerful feelings in video games

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Wait you can get bombs before Kraid? drat, I got them right after, using a path that unlocked.

Also, I love the speedbooster mechanic where you can continue your speed by wall jumping and then go the opposite direction.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
post-power bomb they did the unmarked destructible glass bridge again lol

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Feels Villeneuve posted:

post-power bomb they did the unmarked destructible glass bridge again lol

series staple at this point

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Haven’t played a Metroid game since the first Prime. This is awesome. Exactly what I want out of a 2d Metroid.

What’s the status of Motherbrain in this universe? Because the central control units are really Motherbrainy.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Al-Saqr posted:

This is definitely happening and there isn't much indication that it's going to happen until you are already prevented from back-tracking.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

mweber posted:

Haven’t played a Metroid game since the first Prime. This is awesome. Exactly what I want out of a 2d Metroid.

What’s the status of Motherbrain in this universe? Because the central control units are really Motherbrainy.

Mother Brain is hyper dead, but MB was originally a rather early example of Chozo making an advanced AI (which is why it was mostly biological) but the Space Pirates found a way to kind of hi-jack her and use MB to run their main base on Zebes from within Tourian. The fact that MB was originally Chozo tech should be a big clue as to what's going on with the Central Control Units.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I've taken down the second EMMI and I'm digging the game, though often feel lost. The map feels very complex and navigating one way pathways is making my brain hurt a bit. That said, it's definitely Metroid and I'm loving the fact I'm playing a brand new 2D metroid in the year of our lord two thousand twenty one.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

As I approach what I believe is the end of the game I think I can safely conclude that the developers understood Fusion at a fundamental level and created a game with Samus Returns' body and Fusion's soul. Fusion is my favorite of the Metroids so this strongly endears it to me.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
They did want to do a Fusion remake for the 3DS, but Nintendo decided on remaking Metroid 2.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the robot soldiers are so much fun to fight
the bosses/minibosses in this game are a huge step up over the rest of the franchise. especially surprising because the boss fights in Return of Samus sucked
post screw attack spoilers: the way they reimagined the aspect of the X from Fusion where floating X could upgrade enemies into stronger versions is really cool. I just fought a normal enemy that upgraded into a stronger form when I killed it and then when I killed that it upgraded into a full-on miniboss

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 9, 2021

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

This is definitely happening and there isn't much indication that it's going to happen until you are already prevented from back-tracking.

yeah but how the gently caress do I get back? there's tons of areas that require the morph ball or heat resistance or that wierd tri-node block door thing, I hope I can make my way back when I get the morph ball soon.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Al-Saqr posted:

yeah but how the gently caress do I get back? there's tons of areas that require the morph ball or heat resistance or that wierd tri-node block door thing, I hope I can make my way back when I get the morph ball soon.

No idea as I've just gotten bombs after beating kraid, but I'm sure at some point the map opens up again.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The game does the Fusion thing of "fully open before the last boss", at some point you can select teleport destinations outright instead of going from one-to-one so unless you really have troubles with a specific boss and want more health there's not a ton of value in premptively backtracking

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Lol never mind spoke to soon just got the morph ball in section 2 and now I’m able to backtrack and fully explore areas 1 & 2 lol this game rules

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Mother Brain is hyper dead, but MB was originally a rather early example of Chozo making an advanced AI (which is why it was mostly biological) but the Space Pirates found a way to kind of hi-jack her and use MB to run their main base on Zebes from within Tourian. The fact that MB was originally Chozo tech should be a big clue as to what's going on with the Central Control Units.

IIRC MB actually betrayed the Chozo and joined the Space Pirates willingly. Also, apparently MB was one of those responsible to help train Samus as a kid, according to the non-canon-but-still-kind-of-canon Manga series.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ok Teleportals are now a thing forget everything I said this game gives plenty of room to backtrack each point of the game

Lol ok me and my fat mouth a lot of upgrades are coming in at once gonna poo poo up and enjoy the game

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 9, 2021

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The flash-shift dash-thing is cool and they didnt telegraph its existence too much so it was a surprise when i got it. feels great to use and when they said it drains your aeion energy or whatever i was dreading it. but it charges way faster then using the cloak.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ending opinion i think Samus and bird dad should try to make up they have a lot in common like loving to shoot arm cannons and being weird monster things

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
thread's famous

https://twitter.com/devtesla/status/1446653995808866306

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

khy posted:

IIRC MB actually betrayed the Chozo and joined the Space Pirates willingly. Also, apparently MB was one of those responsible to help train Samus as a kid, according to the non-canon-but-still-kind-of-canon Manga series.

was that the one where she named her bird dads Old Bird and Grey Voice, and it turns out of them started working for the Space Pirates for some reason and was why Ridley knew about the Baby Metroid which started Super

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

lol