Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Skipping is pretty fast and because you are in the air sometimes u get a lil breather

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
It's kinda too bad cars are actively inhibiting skipping, walking, biking etc, it's almost like someone should do something about it

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
How about the Grover approach and ban everything except cars and use the money saved to buy even more cars?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
b-but the image on the right has lots of parking,

https://twitter.com/dmtrubman/status/1446606740464803849

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i tried to skip one time but someone called me a word i didn't like... i think it was "human being"

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Dolphin posted:

i tried to skip one time but someone called me a word i didn't like... i think it was "human being"

I think that's the word for anyone who isn't driving a pickup truck at any given time.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I used to run a lot more than I do now, like 100 miles a week or more. At the height of my running I got minor ankle sprain and it wouldn't stop hurting for a couple weeks, and I finally went to the doctor. Unfortunately I was working in NY at the time and went to a fancy NY foot doctor who just told me to stop running because I was shredding my joints and would be in a wheelchair within 5 years. I told the doctor that stopping running was not an option, I needed to do it to live and he started laughing at me. He said in his whole practice he had never had someone tell them no I refuse to stop running and that I was being unreasonable. Stop doing the thing that makes the pain and the pain goes away, so simple.

This is what happens over and over: you get one piece of lovely advice and it sticks with you. This is what you do to build a successful career in medicine in New York and many other places like it: people want to be given a pill and be made comfortable and told that the pain will never come back.

When I got back to Denver I saw a competent doctor who is used to people being active and he laughed at the NY doctor telling people to stop exercising and said yeah that's just what they do, it's just their culture. Denver doctor was immediately able to tell me no important ligaments were torn or anything and I would be fine, go run up more mountains.

I mostly hike these days but running is super fun, I should try to get back to 100 miles a week.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
it's true and also the salsa they make in new york is no good, unlike pace picante sauce

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/NoContextBoomer/status/1387037988241035264/photo/1

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Pryor on Fire posted:

I used to run a lot more than I do now, like 100 miles a week or more. At the height of my running I got minor ankle sprain and it wouldn't stop hurting for a couple weeks, and I finally went to the doctor. Unfortunately I was working in NY at the time and went to a fancy NY foot doctor who just told me to stop running because I was shredding my joints and would be in a wheelchair within 5 years. I told the doctor that stopping running was not an option, I needed to do it to live and he started laughing at me. He said in his whole practice he had never had someone tell them no I refuse to stop running and that I was being unreasonable. Stop doing the thing that makes the pain and the pain goes away, so simple.

This is what happens over and over: you get one piece of lovely advice and it sticks with you. This is what you do to build a successful career in medicine in New York and many other places like it: people want to be given a pill and be made comfortable and told that the pain will never come back.

When I got back to Denver I saw a competent doctor who is used to people being active and he laughed at the NY doctor telling people to stop exercising and said yeah that's just what they do, it's just their culture. Denver doctor was immediately able to tell me no important ligaments were torn or anything and I would be fine, go run up more mountains.

I mostly hike these days but running is super fun, I should try to get back to 100 miles a week.

I was there in both cities and I remember everyone in the waiting room clapping too

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
running is not fun it's a derangement. i did it for years until i stopped because it isn't fun. if you think it's fun you have a microchip on you

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

running is good for getting places faster without participating in car bullshit but you can also do this more easily with a bicycle

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Dolphin posted:

running is not fun it's a derangement. i did it for years until i stopped because it isn't fun. if you think it's fun you have a microchip on you

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Pryor on Fire posted:

This sounds like the opposite of what the doctor said to you in your weird and pointless story

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

from a caloric standpoint, running is way less efficient than cycling, which if you're going to use the same bike for a few years probably means it's a smaller carbon footprint

buuut, individual contribution to climate change is a bullshit metric and i'm tryna get abs, so

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

i wonder where mets, rangers, yankees, giants, jets, etc. players go to the doctor? i'm sure its hard on them since in new york the culture is if you show up they give you a pill and tell you to stop doing that activity

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Vomik posted:

i wonder where mets, rangers, yankees, giants, jets, etc. players go to the doctor? i'm sure its hard on them since in new york the culture is if you show up they give you a pill and tell you to stop doing that activity

long island doctor spotted

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
ok not running, parkour

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1446813947395379209

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Dolphin posted:

its actually fun

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Vomik posted:

idk if I’m missing the joke but in the US there’s a whole sub-specialty among doctors called Sports Medicine, sort of an intersection of Internal Medicine and Orthopedics, and there are various tiers of practices which service professional athletes of whichever celebrity tier anywhere there are professional sports teams, at variously inflated rates

e: which is to say, unless an internist is absolute garbage (always a possibility especially with doctors) they ought to be able to print you out several pages of medical advice in the category of “so you’ve got a stress injury but want to get back up to your precious athletic performance” to take home with you, with a few seconds of work on a computer.

LonsomeSon has issued a correction as of 20:30 on Oct 9, 2021

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Polo-Rican posted:

Literally everyone who rides a bike also walks

Everyone who's physically able walks

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Dolphin posted:

If you don’t like running that’s fine. Millions of people love it and the health benefits are well established.

Sorry about whatever it was that made you like this

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is the darkest area on the west edge in the Boston map Cambridge, where MIT and Harvard are?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The Chicago one has a mix of rich areas with few cars next to rail, rich areas with lots of cars next to rail, and super poor areas with very few cars not by rail

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

LonsomeSon posted:

idk if I’m missing the joke but in the US there’s a whole sub-specialty among doctors called Sports Medicine, sort of an intersection of Internal Medicine and Orthopedics, and there are various tiers of practices which service professional athletes of whichever celebrity tier anywhere there are professional sports teams, at variously inflated rates

e: which is to say, unless an internist is absolute garbage (always a possibility especially with doctors) they ought to be able to print you out several pages of medical advice in the category of “so you’ve got a stress injury but want to get back up to your precious athletic performance” to take home with you, with a few seconds of work on a computer.

I knew a bunch of gymnasts who kept doing drills in their 30s and were shredding knees. Their doctors/therapists were always like : here's an idea , don't do two flips and a spin and try to land on the ground

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

running is good, also fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-PPTwTc1bw

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Vomik posted:

they shoot them up with steroids and painkillers so they can keep playing op

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

it's a cover up like adding more car lanes instead of building train lines

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

in addition to going for long runs, all out sprints over short distances are fun as well

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqQw05Mr63E

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hill sprints are actually kind of fun because you get to sprint up a hill and be bulimic at the same time

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sprinting rules

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
you know what rules? city centers that have completely/nearly completely banned motor vehicle traffic.

Look at this disgusting display of pinko communisms central planning genocide against cars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTV-wwszGw8

This guy hates everything about our broken-rear end culture and it rules

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
running on asphalt and/or with improper footwear will absolutely destroy your joints up to and including knees, running on dirt/grass/sand is very good

indigi has issued a correction as of 23:34 on Oct 9, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gonna jog all of south padre island in two weeks

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

i say swears online posted:

gonna jog all of south padre island in two weeks

that's cool I was there and went for a short jog up the undeveloped part and found a foot long dead shark on the beach.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

good video

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ArmZ posted:

that's cool I was there and went for a short jog up the undeveloped part and found a foot long dead shark on the beach.

yo you will find so much poo poo, my dad is a city employee so he always sees it first but my god lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Running on pavement or concrete is dumb and bad but running on dirt or grass is cool and good. Regardless, I'd like to see someone make a 10 mile commute via running.

Bikes are the answer here. Or running to your local tram stop I guess? Just ride the bike