Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Main Paineframe posted:

they convince themselves that no one would ever take the JPEG seriously without the accompanying NFT proving that you're the TRUE OFFICIAL OWNER

They are correct in that but assume that people will somehow take the jpg seriously with the vaguely associated personal hyperlink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

DerekSmartymans posted:

Why are his teeth so small and white? He doesn’t even look British!

The British do not, usually, look particularly British. It is a problem that has confused philosophers for centuries.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Oh Baby

Anyone seen Tether's billions

quote:

Then, this year, Tether Holdings started putting out a huge amount of digital coins. There are now 69 billion Tethers in circulation, 48 billion of them issued this year. That means the company supposedly holds a corresponding $69 billion in real money to back the coins—an amount that would make it one of the 50 largest banks in the U.S., if it were a U.S. bank and not an unregulated offshore company.

Elsewhere on the website, there’s a letter from an accounting firm stating that Tether has the reserves to back its coins, along with a pie chart showing that about $30 billion of its dollar holdings are invested in commercial paper—short-term loans to corporations. That would make Tether the seventh-largest holder of such debt, right up there with Charles Schwab and Vanguard Group.

To fact-check this claim, a few colleagues and I canvassed Wall Street traders to see if any had seen Tether buying anything. No one had. “It’s a small market with a lot of people who know each other,” said Deborah Cunningham, chief investment officer of global money markets at Federated Hermes, an asset management company in Pittsburgh. “If there were a new entrant, it would be usually very obvious.”

It was hard to believe that people had sent $69 billion in real U.S. dollars to a company that seemed to be practically quilted out of red flags.

Almost two centuries later, the same temptation appeared before Brock Pierce, a former child actor who’d played the younger version of Emilio Estevez’s character in the Mighty Ducks films. Now Pierce wears loud hats, vests, and bracelets, like Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean, and speaks in riddles, like Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. After founding a successful brokerage for buying and selling video game items—at which he employed, of all people, future Trump consigliere Steve Bannon—Pierce was one of the few early Bitcoiners with real money to invest. “I’m not an amateur entrepreneur throwing darts in the dark,” he told me by phone as he prepared for a trip to promote Bitcoin in El Salvador. “I’m a doula for creation. I only take on missions impossible.”

In February 2019, Tether revised its 1-to-1 pledge, changing its website to read: “Every Tether is always 100% backed by our reserves, which include traditional currency and cash equivalents and, from time to time, may include other assets and receivables from loans made by Tether to third parties, which may include affiliated entities.”

---

But when I asked Chalopin if he knew for sure that Tether’s assets were fully secure now, he laughed. It was a difficult question, he said. He only held cash and extremely low-risk bonds for Tether. But recently the company had started using other banks to handle its money. Only a quarter of it—$15 billion or so—is still with Deltec. “I cannot speak about what I cannot know,” he said. “I can only control what’s with us.”

After I returned to the U.S., I obtained a document showing a detailed account of Tether Holdings’ reserves. It said they include billions of dollars of short-term loans to large Chinese companies—something money-market funds avoid. And that was before one of the country’s largest property developers, China Evergrande Group, started to collapse. I also learned that Tether had made loans worth billions of dollars to other crypto companies, with Bitcoin as collateral. One of them is Celsius Network Ltd., a giant quasi-bank for cryptocurrency investors, its founder Alex Mashinsky told me. He said he pays an interest rate of 5% to 6% on loans of about 1 billion Tethers.

[ed: !!!]

Just last month, traders bought $3 billion in new Tethers, presumably sending billions of perfectly good U.S. dollars to the Inspector Gadget co-creator’s Bahamian bank in exchange for digital tokens conjured by the Mighty Ducks guy and run by executives who are targets of a U.S. criminal investigation.

The whole thing is worth a read but it is all a bit much.

Matt Levin also covered it and it's actually a pretty great explanation of how the financial system works.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
A fool and his money are soon on the blockchain.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

So I presume next week we're going to find out that China Evergrande Group is actually backed by cryptocurrency and that's then reason it ultimately collapses, or at least, gets the blame.

(I presume it's also because of total and complete corruption by high level execs and managers in Chinese and Western banks and governments, but the crypto will be the economists blame target so that why Capitalism itself is totally blameless).

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Collateral posted:

A fool and his money are soon on the blockchain.
:discourse:

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Is there some deep human instinct to blindly follow what you see other people say and do?

dumby
Oct 25, 2007

Prurient Squid posted:

Is there some deep human instinct to blindly follow what you see other people say and do?

obviously, yes

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Prurient Squid posted:

Where is your home planet and can you take us there

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Prurient Squid posted:

there's also a deep human instinct to say gently caress you dad andor nerds, I'm the protag of reality/a true galaxy bean, this is a moon shot and I'm right youre wrong.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Prurient Squid posted:

historically very yes, recently even more very extremely yes

mega-billion dollar companies like instagram are built entirely upon the concept

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Collateral posted:

A fool and his money are never parted so long as he hodls

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Seems like a normal coiner

Hedrigall posted:

NFTs sure are a thing for regular, sane people

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zil posted:

This has to be parody. Like it's too on the nose.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is 0 way that is not a copy and paste or a troll, its too distilled.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zil posted:

i'm just about positive that's a satirist doing a parody bit

real crypto nerds are WAY more obsessed with crypto, NFTs, and "investing" than that

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1446618928873103361

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You can tell if it's satire or not by checking blockchain for the NFT of his avatar. Or, like, by reading his twitter, I guess.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Paladinus posted:

You can tell if it's satire or not by checking blockchain for the NFT of his avatar. Or, like, by reading his twitter, I guess.

I can do neither of these things because they both sound intensely boring

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Haven't thought about Cracked in like a decade, but this owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUs5y9leCyA

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

PhazonLink posted:

there's also a deep human instinct to say gently caress you dad andor nerds, I'm the protag of reality/a true galaxy bean, this is a moon shot and I'm right youre wrong.

andor nerds? galaxy bean?? stop trying to make me read star trek poo poo in the buttcoin thread

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
if there's one thing i know about rape victims, its that they have to go to school

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Collateral posted:

The British do not, usually, look particularly British. It is a problem that has confused philosophers for centuries.
Immigration in the past century has drastically improved the British gene pool.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Hammerite posted:

andor nerds? galaxy bean?? stop trying to make me read star trek poo poo in the buttcoin thread

Actual lmao

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

It's basically like you sent your son to sell the donkey but instead of even coming back with magic beans he just came back with cum.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Prurient Squid posted:

It's basically like you sent your son to sell the donkey but instead of even coming back with magic beans he just came back with cum.

Now hold up, is it Kentucky Derby winning cum?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

some cum won the kentucky derby this year?!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Collateral posted:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:monocle:

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/1446218827918974978

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Just sounds like something that is good for bitcoin, these weaker NFTs couldn't compete and are crawling away from true wealth.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Why do they need 'projects' behind their NFTs? Just trade NFTs like before, nothing's changed.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Why does this keep happening.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Paladinus posted:

Why do they need 'projects' behind their NFTs? Just trade NFTs like before, nothing's changed.

The project is to track the real nfts, and probably hosts the images

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Most of these projects were promising some kind of future utility to the NFTs beyond JPEG ownership, like being usable in a game that will eventually exist, then they do a runner as soon as the NFTs are all sold

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
The answer is youre putting more thought into it than any true believer or conartist does.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Someone should create a twitter account that scrapes Twitter for people posting their NFTs, changes one byte of metadata in the image and reposts it as Creative Commons - Public Domain

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Why change anything at all? Copy right only matters if there's lawyers with a stick willing/paid to enforce poo poo.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

repiv posted:

Most of these projects were promising some kind of future utility to the NFTs beyond JPEG ownership, like being usable in a game that will eventually exist, then they do a runner as soon as the NFTs are all sold

You’re using a lot of words here that, strictly, are incorrect

Like “ownership” and “sold”

It was just stealing money nothing else

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

PhazonLink posted:

The answer is youre putting more thought into it than any true believer or conartist does.

Not convinced. Con artists have to think a lot on what exactly suckers expect.

They have it pretty easy in the crypto space though, because wild promises and complete lack of accountability are the norm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

Why change anything at all? Copy right only matters if there's lawyers with a stick willing/paid to enforce poo poo.
Because one of the points NFTers love to push is that "it's cryptographically unique!" which turns out to just mean it has a unique hash which anyone with two brain cells to rub together knows is not the same as being visually similar.