Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I'm not going to get around to playing this for months, but Youtube is very pushy with videos and I'm vaguely interested.

Does this game also have the hyper aggressive cliff racer wildlife 3 and 4 did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

After you beat the game there will be a new system called Insurgency where the baddies will take over a certain area of the map, flipping all the checkpoints and forts etc and you get fancy rewards for taking it back. It cycles to a new area weekly(?) I believe.

Also the first backpack is the best one, just ignore it until a helicopter appears then go apeshit with it.

Oh neat can you repeat it during the week or is it a one and done deal?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

i'm still mad that in the three and a half years since fc5 they never figured out how to let your pets ride in the car with you

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

a podcast for cats posted:

Does this game also have the hyper aggressive cliff racer wildlife 3 and 4 did?
I presume you mean surprise attacks in the most inconvenient moments? If so, yeah, and it's loving annoying. I forgot how it was in the other games, but in FC5 it was a single instance of an animal. In FC6, it seems to be multiple. Wildhogs come in three, crocs in two, etc., and you'll be wasting plenty of your ammo, because the machete seems to do barely gently caress all on these.

IMO it's worse than FC5, both in effort spent and frequency of them appearing.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

i'm still mad that in the three and a half years since fc5 they never figured out how to let your pets ride in the car with you

Boomer rides in cars with you (at least anything they can jump in a window or over the top, so the armored trucks are out) but nobody else does >:( I want my murder kitty to come in the car with me.

Also I feel terrible when I get in a boat and Boom Boom just swims behind me for like 20 miles, I've started dismissing him when I'm going to do some boat stuff.

RE: Graphics - I think there's something going on where some people are getting low-LOD textures for some reason because playing at 4K with a mix of high/ultra and no HD textures and the game looks pretty good, with the possible exception of the outfits which don't really look great. But everything else has been fine with normal gameplay. I'll admit I haven't been going around looking for bad textures because I'm having too much fun raising mayhem, so maybe I'm just not seeing it. But I feel like there's some janky bug with that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've been playing at 1440p ultra settings with the HD texture pack, and there's been no major performance problems or any bad-looking textures. The biggest issue is an under-utilization of both my CPU (5600x) and GPU (3080 ti). The game doesn't seem programmed to push high-end hardware very hard. I don't remember how FC5 looked and I don't have it installed, so I can't speak to how this compares to that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

New Dawn did. That's the weird part.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

shortspecialbus posted:

RE: Graphics - I think there's something going on where some people are getting low-LOD textures for some reason because playing at 4K with a mix of high/ultra and no HD textures and the game looks pretty good, with the possible exception of the outfits which don't really look great. But everything else has been fine with normal gameplay. I'll admit I haven't been going around looking for bad textures because I'm having too much fun raising mayhem, so maybe I'm just not seeing it. But I feel like there's some janky bug with that.

My issue isn't with the textures themselves, it's like the AA or texture filtering or something.

I'm doing this mission where you have to burn the plants and I was standing here looking at the fields changing settings around to see if I could make that stuff look clearer and it always looks like a weird jaggedy mess. Maybe it's unrealistic expectations because I'm also playing Red Dead 2 with DLSS where you can see clear across the plains to spot a deer hiding in the brush but I need to mess around with the settings some more I guess.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Combat Pretzel posted:

I presume you mean surprise attacks in the most inconvenient moments? If so, yeah, and it's loving annoying. I forgot how it was in the other games, but in FC5 it was a single instance of an animal. In FC6, it seems to be multiple. Wildhogs come in three, crocs in two, etc., and you'll be wasting plenty of your ammo, because the machete seems to do barely gently caress all on these.

IMO it's worse than FC5, both in effort spent and frequency of them appearing.

Ok, if I was on the fence previously, then I no longer am. Gonna sit this one out. Animal attacks are super annoying.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

explosivo posted:

My issue isn't with the textures themselves, it's like the AA or texture filtering or something.

I'm doing this mission where you have to burn the plants and I was standing here looking at the fields changing settings around to see if I could make that stuff look clearer and it always looks like a weird jaggedy mess. Maybe it's unrealistic expectations because I'm also playing Red Dead 2 with DLSS where you can see clear across the plains to spot a deer hiding in the brush but I need to mess around with the settings some more I guess.

TAA + CAS looks reasonably good to my eyes, though there's still a weird jumble of clarity and blurriness with this game. Digital Foundry uploaded their tech analysis today, and they found that a lot of special effects are rendered at a quarter resolution, which might be contributing to that odd mixed look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WghfGVJ5AaI

Also, I recommend that people looking for a bit of extra performance turn on FidelityFX Super Resolution. FC6 has what might be the best FSR implementation so far. FSR is usually considered DLSS's uglier step sibling, but Ultra Quality FSR might actually look better than native resolution with TAA and no CAS in this title. (at least at 1440p and 4K.) It may also assist in reducing VRAM usage if you're hitting the cap with your card, since lower source render res = lower vram usage. Even if you're not using FSR though, you should turn on CAS. It helps a lot in combating the blurriness that TAA generates.

(in case people don't know what these weirdly named settings are, FidelityFX Super Resolution is a technique that turns a lower-res image into a higher-res one, to give you better frame rates over running at native resolution. It looks surprisingly good in this game. It has both an upscaling algorithm and an image sharpening algorithm. CAS is just image sharpening on its own.)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 9, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Note that you have to re-enable FidelityFX Super Resolution every game restart, for me the setting doesn't stick in FC6.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

shortspecialbus posted:

Mine showed up today, I now have 2600 credits without buying anything. So, the 300 credits you get for getting off the island, and the "medium pack" preorder bonus, which works out to 2300 credits. So, people may want to check for this.

Still at 300 for me and apparently now Ubi are saying the bonus credits are a mistake so who knows.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

DogsInSpace! posted:

Thank you. So you can稚 use thrown weapons without it? That痴 a bummer. I値l finish the train island but I kinda wish I hadn稚 bought it now. I know the thrown weapons are a minor thing to most but I liked being able to toss grenades and

You can get different backpacks, right now I'm running around with this one

Paired up with the rifle I got in the same quest, I can see and shoot through walls when I activate its power. This includes vehicles and the drivers thereof. :q:

Also you do a lot of your old leveling up and setting skills and whatnot through the backpack system. Set your gadgets (throwing knives, grenades, etc), then you have little mods that let you carry more of a type of ammo, take less types of damage, etc

I kinda wish you could take it off in cutscenes sometimes, but oh well

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Phetz posted:

The bad guys from Far Cry 5 honestly aren't very MAGA besides being fascistic and vaguely christian. They're just kind of a bland, cult-flavored organization whose actions begin and end with Joseph Seed, who himself doesn't seem to have much of an ideology beyond his own sob story and a bunch of biblical rambling. There's very little to them, and the way they turn out in New Dawn is a lot more interesting.

yeah this. i wish they had gone weird about the cult. like make them kinda have weird belief poo poo from The Apocryphal Gospels. i get what they are trying to do and i like the direction they go but idk five was dry.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
What counts as armor piercing for shotguns, slug rounds? I'm trying not to use LMGs this time around since I did that for 4,5, and New Dawn

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Ok, if I was on the fence previously, then I no longer am. Gonna sit this one out. Animal attacks are super annoying.

They're like a small fraction of what they were in 4 with endless eagles. You get attacked occasionally, but it's like once every half hour unless you count the army dogs.

4 was seriously bonkers with that poo poo. This one is really just annoying coyotes sometimes, and I feel like I haven't even seen those in some time. The warthogs are uncommon unless you're looking for them, as are jaguars or whatever they are. There are surely plenty of valid reasons to skip this, but it's not like it's Far Cry 6: When Animals Attack! or anything.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Five seemed like they wanted to do political commentary without offending anyone

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

eonwe posted:

Five seemed like they wanted to do political commentary without offending anyone

6 is more of the same I think, no real ideology, just pro-democracy rebels versus pro-civilian-murder dictatorship.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Mod idea: Replace every instance of "guerilla" with "gusano"

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TAA + CAS looks reasonably good to my eyes, though there's still a weird jumble of clarity and blurriness with this game. Digital Foundry uploaded their tech analysis today, and they found that a lot of special effects are rendered at a quarter resolution, which might be contributing to that odd mixed look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WghfGVJ5AaI

Thanks for this, I think the quarter resolution thing kinda accounts for what my issue with this is. I need to temper my expectations and realize it's not going to be perfect because it's probably the engine more than anything.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

It's really not that bad. In the 10 hours I've played so far it's happened 3 times. And I was near water so a croc attack kinda made sense. Also you can get a shotgun that shoots incendiary rounds fairly early, from one of the lighthouses, and that takes care of them pretty quick.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I知 enjoying this as a general gently caress around game, with one major bone to pick - is it really necessary that as soon as one soldier spots you, like 10 motherfuckers spawn from under every bush and tree? It痴 ridiculous.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Livin La Vida Loca sing-along was fun :)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

6 is more of the same I think, no real ideology, just pro-democracy rebels versus pro-civilian-murder dictatorship.

sorta. the regime is uber nationalistic and fascistic and there are alot of various nods to various stupid insane right wing dictatorships in the past, including one of my favorite "endtime hitler" stories which you will know when you see, meanwhile the rebels are made up of different brushstroke progressive and lefty thought. the rebels plan is basicly, toss president fring and then go from there. its definitely less cynical then 4 and 5 and obviously way less then three. like dont go in expecting disco Elysium depth of political criticism (some critics seem to think that apparently) but its not "actually the rebels are just as bad" poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 9, 2021

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I was pretty weirded out that there was cockfighting in the game until it turned out to be like a tekken-esque fighting game

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I was pretty weirded out that there was cockfighting in the game until it turned out to be like a tekken-esque fighting game

yeah. to me, its too weird too be offensive.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Capn Beeb posted:

You can get different backpacks, right now I'm running around with this one

Paired up with the rifle I got in the same quest, I can see and shoot through walls when I activate its power. This includes vehicles and the drivers thereof. :q:

Also you do a lot of your old leveling up and setting skills and whatnot through the backpack system. Set your gadgets (throwing knives, grenades, etc), then you have little mods that let you carry more of a type of ammo, take less types of damage, etc

I kinda wish you could take it off in cutscenes sometimes, but oh well

I知 a complete dumbass and just now figured out how throwing weapons work tied to the backpack. I though the LB and RB was the only way to use it. I am slow sometimes and should stop smoking weed. I値l look for that backpack. I知 getting more into this but this newbie island is loooooong. Wish I could just not wear a helmet but the game probably knows I need to irl and is trying to help.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does this game not have a difficulty slider?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
No, just Story and Action mode.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Edit: double post - sorry

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 9, 2021

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I don't know if my controller just has an issue but the machete does absolutely loving nothing in combat. I run up to a soldier thinking I'm gonna slice him up and I click in R3 over and over and nothing happens

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

DogsInSpace! posted:

I知 a complete dumbass and just now figured out how throwing weapons work tied to the backpack. I though the LB and RB was the only way to use it. I am slow sometimes and should stop smoking weed. I値l look for that backpack. I知 getting more into this but this newbie island is loooooong. Wish I could just not wear a helmet but the game probably knows I need to irl and is trying to help.

Newbie island isn't TOO bad. You'll get access to a bunch of backpacks right after it.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I just finished newbie island, collected all side stuff etc. When do I get the ability to build out my base?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
I feel like the weapons balancing at least is mostly right in this game compared to 5, as I'm at least constantly changing my weapons and config vs. stick with the same silenced AR/deagle/bow/sniper set in the last one.

a lot of that can probably be attributed to correctly nerfing silencers

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Do the little stars and numbers next a weapons name mean rarity? Or is it level/damage? Is a 3 star outright better than a 4 star?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Fame Douglas posted:

I just finished newbie island, collected all side stuff etc. When do I get the ability to build out my base?

It's confusing. You don't build out the island, you build out bases you establish in the regions. Just keep progressing the main story.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DogsInSpace! posted:

There is a 'hide helmet' option.

Is it worth fitting out a LMG with blast rounds for antivehicle/antiaircraft duty, or should I give it AP rounds like everything else?

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
Are the mouse controls for the helicopters in far cry 6 just broken or is there something I'm missing. It's impossible to do minor adjustments or aim at things easily. It feels like the game is constantly resetting the turn. Particularly in the X axis.

Also the tanks have their own problems, they seem to have no ability to turn on the spot, and just rocket forward after a huge delay when you push forward. Most of the rest of the vehicles seem fine and do what you expect, so it's just really weird.

Do they behave better with a controller?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sorta. the regime is uber nationalistic and fascistic and there are alot of various nods to various stupid insane right wing dictatorships in the past, including one of my favorite "endtime hitler" stories which you will know when you see, meanwhile the rebels are made up of different brushstroke progressive and lefty thought. the rebels plan is basicly, toss president fring and then go from there. its definitely less cynical then 4 and 5 and obviously way less then three. like dont go in expecting disco Elysium depth of political criticism (some critics seem to think that apparently) but its not "actually the rebels are just as bad" poo poo.

It's all still just cartoonish caricatures though, both for the dictatorship and the rebels. I don't really mind that, except it's super jarring when Ubisoft is trying to tell such a serious story with these cartoonish elements as a backdrop.

They should either drop the cartoonish depictions of LatAm guerrillas and go full grit, or go full Just Cause instead and drop any pretenses about this being a serious story (which is what I think they should do)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

omg chael crash posted:

Do the little stars and numbers next a weapons name mean rarity? Or is it level/damage? Is a 3 star outright better than a 4 star?

I have 4 star weapons now and they have more mod slots which make them better in that sense. I think a 4* has slightly higher base stats than 1* weapons comparing the rifles

The Lone Badger posted:

Is it worth fitting out a LMG with blast rounds for antivehicle/antiaircraft duty, or should I give it AP rounds like everything else?

Yes, LMG with blast rounds might be better than the Resolver minigun which is designed to do the same thing (kill vehicles)

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 10, 2021