Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
I think the story goes that he didn't know the name of the lens, so he used hand motions to describe it, which the DoP understood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep, that’s the one. He definitely should know his lenses but Willis was still a dick about it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Eh. People forget words for things all the time. poo poo just today I had to ask my office mate for a "spring but wound wrong" because for some reason I blanked on paperclip.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

CainFortea posted:

Eh. People forget words for things all the time. poo poo just today I had to ask my office mate for a "spring but wound wrong" because for some reason I blanked on paperclip.

:psyduck:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

CainFortea posted:

"Marge... where's that metal dealy you use to... dig food..."
"You mean a spoon?"
"Yeah, gimme!"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CainFortea posted:

Hahaha that’s great. But I don’t think it was forgetting the word, by all accounts Smith just didn’t know the names for the lenses

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I've heard that one of the theories for why we forget things like that is that our brains try to highlight the memories we're looking for and deliberately hide the "irrelevant" ones, meaning that if the correct memory is accidentally included with the "irrelevant" ones in a given moment, trying harder to remember it will just bury it further as those internal filters double down -- which certainly matches what it feels like!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Sometimes I randomly remember in vivid detail a dream I had months (or even years) ago that I had forgotten like you normally do and I get pissed off because I have a hard time remembering and learning poo poo that actually matters.

gently caress you brain for hanging on to pointless poo poo while refusing to internalize poo poo like a foreign language that I actually put effort into learning.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
See also: why I can remember that Peter Murphy is the name of the singer from Bauhaus, not even one of my favorite bands, but have to use Google Calendar to remember my mom's birthday.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Imagined posted:

I've heard that one of the theories for why we forget things like that is that our brains try to highlight the memories we're looking for and deliberately hide the "irrelevant" ones, meaning that if the correct memory is accidentally included with the "irrelevant" ones in a given moment, trying harder to remember it will just bury it further as those internal filters double down -- which certainly matches what it feels like!

And why it feels SO GOOD to shout out the word you were looking for 1 hour later.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Is Bruce Willis broke or something? He’s in ALOT of straight to dvd/streaming movies over the last 7 years or so.

Also his last great performance was in Color of Night. Masterful.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Imagined posted:

I get this real bad, I'll need a specific word for a sentence and I'll have to find the closest word I can think of and google synonyms until I find a closer word and then check its synonyms etc etc until I eventually hone in on the exact word I was trying to remember.

A couple days ago I got a tune stuck in my head and I knew the lyrics were just the name of a female celebrity repeated over and over but for the love of god I couldn't remember who it was, so I kept humming the tune and trying random celebrity names to see if they fit. In the end I had to google it. Barbra Streisand.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I think Bruce Willis is just in a kind of nice sweet spot where his level of fame, his actual acting talent, his screen persona, and his popularity with a certain demographic, (divorced middle aged dads), all combine to the point where a lot of people willing to hire him don't want an intense art-house performance, but just to have him show up. And his laziness, and willingness to make these cash grab films means that he does a lot of them.

I don't think he is in a Nicolas Cage position where he needs to make them to pay off tax debts. Just that he can make them, and earn a lazy few million for glaring at the camera and mumbling a few lines under his breath then go home to his mansion.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
How many actors actually retire? Most just keep making movies that get progressively smaller in scale. Bruce Willis is a leading man, but he's no longer a tent pole leading man, so he stars in lesser movies. Films where he's not the star, but part of an ensemble cast, are usually better. The only films where he gets his name above the title are predictably shittier films.

The only big name living actors I can recall who officially retired are Jack Nicholson, Gene Hackman, and Daniel Day Lewis. I'm sure there are more, but most keep making films until they are physically incapable.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Tons of actors retire, fewer stars do. Male actors are more likely to choose to retire, female actors tend to get essentially pushed out for lack of roles for women of a certain age.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Rick Moranis retired at the top of his game and I respect him for it

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

He quit after his wife died to take care of his kids, which I respect him even more for.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sean Connery retired after League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which I don’t think anyone could blame him for. Cameron Diaz retired after Annie but no-one noticed because she was never very talented

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rick Moranis is coming back for a new Disney+ Honey I Shrunk the Kids movie. He actually continued to act for 5 years or so after his wife died, but the roles he got were lovely and turned him off Hollywood so he decided to retire and just focus on raising his kids instead. They wouldn't have been any older than 10 still then.

Gene Hackman retired in 2004.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Oct 5, 2021

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It's a fine line between officially retiring and just not getting anymore work. Like Gloria Stuart was for all intents retired before Titanic, but then she worked into her 90's.

There was a great story about what was supposed to be Sean Connery's last role, but the film fell through. I can't find the story now, but Connery was funny enough in it to almost make you forget all the lady slapping. Almost...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

rantmo posted:

Tons of actors retire, fewer stars do. Male actors are more likely to choose to retire, female actors tend to get essentially pushed out for lack of roles for women of a certain age.

A shitload of those might just have been refusing to put up with Harvey Weinstein's poo poo anymore.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think Connery partially retired due to dementia. But yeah he was offered the roles of Morpheus and Gandalf lol

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A shitload of those might just have been refusing to put up with Harvey Weinstein's poo poo anymore.

You know, that can't be discounted either.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i watched a narcos shootout compilatiom & it still makes me laugh that the annoying white guy audience standin is playing the guy wrote the script from experience (embellished, obvs)

a real record scratch you might wonder moment irl

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also they keep mentioning "220 pounds" of tnt/c4 (depending on epsiode) which sounds suspiciously like it should be "about 200 pounds"... like saying its "about 160 km"

thats way too many significant digits to carry

circas:
100 kilograms = 200 pounds
100 kilometers = 100 miles
200 kilometers = 300 miles

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 08:27 on Oct 9, 2021

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

Carthag Tuek posted:

also they keep mentioning "220 pounds" of tnt/c4 (depending on epsiode) which sounds suspiciously like it should be "about 200 pounds"... like saying its "about 160 km"

thats way too many significant digits to carry

circas:
100 kilograms = 200 pounds
100 kilometers = 100 miles
200 kilometers = 300 miles

what

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

you heard me

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

character says "idk, an inch I guess?" and subtitles say "2.54 centimeters"

I'm just saying keep the lack of precision in mind when translating. So "idk, a couple cm I guess?"

When some rando is clocking a thing at "probably at least 100 miles" it's way better to translate that to 100 or 200 km than 160. Even 150 is too specific for what they're saying

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

They're saying that often in translations when the original is an estimate the translation will be a conversion of that estimate but be too exact.

Like how 200 miles is roughly 320 kilometres. The original would say it's about 200 miles and the translation would say it's about 320 kilometres even though translating it as about 300 kilometres would be more natural.

I think.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeah

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Taeke posted:

I think.

Yeah it's just like when an anime character is eating a bowl of ramen and the American subtitles say "Oh boy what a delicious cheeseburger!"

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah it's just like when an anime character is eating a bowl of ramen and the American subtitles say "Oh boy what a delicious cheeseburger!"

I wondered what weird rear end donuts Japan had for the longest time after watching Pokémon as a kid.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

CainFortea posted:

This reminded me of a post I saw somewhere of a guy & his wife who were cooking in the kitchen & he asked for the "meat tweezers" (tongs) :lol:

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Once at work the team started discussing how they commuted and when it was my turn my mind went completely blank looking for the word bus so after an awkward pause I said I took the people truck.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

BOOTY-ADE posted:

This reminded me of a post I saw somewhere of a guy & his wife who were cooking in the kitchen & he asked for the "meat tweezers" (tongs) :lol:

I remember a post where a woman was describing her French boyfriend forgetting the word for "lid" so he held up the tea kettle and asked "Where's his hat?"

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

BOOTY-ADE posted:

:confused:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Literally Rumble In The Bronx?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

And if they were a foot long (30.48cm) they'd have roughly the same shape and function of tongs.