Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Beat the game
5:29:51
55%

Incredible game, sad that it’s over but I still have 100% and Hard Mode to do.
Final boss was insanely awesome and really intense.
Metroid rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the boss fights were super cool in general imo. Some of the miniboss fights were lame/repeated but the actual ones were badass

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I guess my one complaint would be there's one or two too many of one particular repeated miniboss the chozo soldier.

It's a perfectly fine fight but aside from doing more damage there's barely any difference between the first and final fight.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the boss fights were super cool in general imo. Some of the miniboss fights were lame/repeated but the actual ones were badass

The central units were the only lame ones imo. The first one felt like an introductory fight that was gonna escalate later and that’s technically true but the escalation between each one is so slight it’s a joke compared to the increase in strength of Samus and everything surrounding the central units.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think my biggest complaint would be that most of the music, besides the excellent EMMI themes, is merely good. It’s pretty effective ambience but not super memorable.

Also the finale kinda felt like it snuck on me, the game maybe could’ve stood to keep going for one more area.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
hot take: escue sucks and j hate it

escue is now dead, but this next boss is equally awful, gently caress

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 9, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Augus posted:

I think my biggest complaint would be that most of the music, besides the excellent EMMI themes, is merely good. It’s pretty effective ambience but not super memorable.

Also the finale kinda felt like it snuck on me, the game maybe could’ve stood to keep going for one more area.

I thought there would be one more area, cause there is a large chunk of open space in the global map above Cataris I thought would contain an area.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blaziken386 posted:

hot take: escue sucks and j hate it

Use the dash to avoid the homing.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

All the transforming poo poo the arm cannon does when you're using omega beam/stream looks so cool. Never gonna get tired of it since it's temporary.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Game is amazing and well worth the wait. Just got the item that opens green bubble shields and had to go to work. Longest 8 hours ever.

Also, gently caress FedEx. I ordered the Walmart coffee mug edition a few weeks ago. Ships the day before stops in a city less than an hour away from me. Yesterday it departs, I'm thinking cool, I'll probably be able to go home on my lunch break and open it and at least get the intro out of the way. Nope. So I buy from Target instead. Left work a couple hours early and grabbed it. At 8pm my FedEx status updates to "delayed till the 9th", and it's sitting in a city 30 minutes away. I'm returning it tomorrow and keeping my Target copy. For anyone from the Ohio area, it left Grove City at 7am yesterday, and ended up in Columbus at 8pm. Just continuing my streak of literally nothing from FedEx arriving on time, ever. Sorry for the rant!

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Okay I have officially been stumped. Just found the fifth EMMI zone seem to be locked away behind not having a double jump yet though.. I looked around using the grapple beam, eventually found the Pulse Radar but haven't been able to figure out where to go. What do I do now

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Okay I have officially been stumped. Just found the fifth EMMI zone seem to be locked away behind not having a double jump yet though.. I looked around using the grapple beam, eventually found the Pulse Radar but haven't been able to figure out where to go. What do I do now

iirc there should be an exit right and downwards from the pulse radar room that hits the next upgrade fairly quickly if you follow it where your abilities let you go

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

That was a close call. (Blue EMMI shenanigans)

Edit: yes I keep forgetting that flash shift is a thing before you ask

Frankston fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 9, 2021

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
How do I break boost blocks that are one block tall?

Vv thanks

Spermando fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 9, 2021

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

slide into them or, alternatively, shinespark while in morph ball

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

You can perform a shinespark in ball form.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I think I've died more playing Metroid Dread up to the morph ball than I've died in every other video game I've played in the past two years put together. I'm having a blast.

The EMMI zones in particular feel like pure trial-and-error, but the game leans into it so hard with the silent quicksaves that the most frustrating part of getting caught is just waiting for the instant death cutscene to play out. But even ignoring EMMIs this is a very old-school type of game design and it really stands out compared to what other modern $60 games are like these days.

The first boss fight was loving *awesome* even though I died a bunch and I can't wait to die more fighting the rest of them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Spermando posted:

How do I break boost blocks that are one block tall?

You have two options.

First, you can carry a boost through a slide as long as you have enough space to get it going first. This works for some easier ones. Sometimes though, you'll need to bring a shinespark to one block high sections. In that case you'll need to do a shinespark while in the morphball, which really is just the same input as a normal shinespark - make sure the ball is at a complete stop then hit jump followed by the direction you need to go. This is mostly tricky because you'll need to work a bit harder to make sure you have enough time to get in position and turn into a ball.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I dunno what I expected ADAM to sound like fully voice acted

But it definitely was not like this

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Morphball shinespark you have to hold jump down for a fraction of second, if you use press jump you uh jump.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Underwater boss can go suck an egg, I've died so many times to it.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I just got double jump, does it feel like absolute poo poo to anyone else? It just feels like half the time it doesn't work and I don't know what's causing it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Frankston posted:

I just got double jump, does it feel like absolute poo poo to anyone else? It just feels like half the time it doesn't work and I don't know what's causing it.

It only works if your spin jumping.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Frankston posted:

you have to press the button a bit after Samus starts to fall from the peak of her jump, just like the timing for space jump in the other games

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

the Z-57 bossfight kicks so much rear end, god drat

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Blaziken386 posted:

i loving loved that one, probably my favorite though there were a few others that I really liked too

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
2 questions

First, so I eventually get an upgrade to go through cold storage areas, or am I just expected to run through all of them? I'm running out of places to go in the first four areas but there's a couple large cold zones I've been avoiding

Second, where are the super bombs? That seems to be the next major item I'm missing. Maybe they're in the cold areas :p

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You get upgrades for those. Generally you aren't supposed to go through damaging areas in metroid games though there's a few spots where you can do a slight sequence break to get an upgrade or something if you don't mind tanking damage

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm stuck on Kraid :( Going into the fight I don't have much energy, so it extra sucks when I die in one or two hits. Shouldn't there be a healing station before every boss fight? Or was there one that I missed?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rageaholic posted:

I'm stuck on Kraid :( Going into the fight I don't have much energy, so it extra sucks when I die in one or two hits. Shouldn't there be a healing station before every boss fight? Or was there one that I missed?

just go back a bit and kill enemies for energy the old fashioned way. if you kill them with a counter they give a ton of drops

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Rageaholic posted:

His claws that he throws at you will give health and missiles if you shoot them. You can tell if he's going to throw high or low based on which arm he uses so just keep an eye on that and you can take them down easily.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I am very interested to see the development of low% runs if this game. The bosses all hit like freight trains.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Blaziken386 posted:

Is there some nameplate I'm missing? Other than old faves I've just been calling them "that guy with the tentacles" and "that other guy with the tentacles" and such. Then someone says they beat Weeblewortz and everyone seems to know who that is.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Is there some nameplate I'm missing? Other than old faves I've just been calling them "that guy with the tentacles" and "that other guy with the tentacles" and such. Then someone says they beat Weeblewortz and everyone seems to know who that is.

The map screen will tell you their name

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bruceski posted:

The event screen says the name and if you scroll over the boss room on the map it says their name.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
[quote="Rageaholic" post="518361909"]
I only had two tanks when I did the fight, just remember don't save your missiles, you can get more drops during the boss battle.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SettingSun posted:

I am very interested to see the development of low% runs if this game. The bosses all hit like freight trains.

I assume it does like fusion does, where if you have 14 e-tanks hits will take 3 of them, but if you have zero e-tanks, hit's will only take like 15life.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Frankston posted:

His claws that he throws at you will give health and missiles if you shoot them. You can tell if he's going to throw high or low based on which arm he uses so just keep an eye on that and you can take them down easily.
100% this
Don't get too greedy going for his weak spot, just sit back and shoot down all the projectiles. In addition to making it easier to dodge, almost all of them will replenish ~10 energy or so

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Why is the EMMI in the Ferenia area so loving cheap? It's a huge area yet it somehow always just stays in the immediate vicinity of where I am? Bullshit design right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Oh boy oh boy oh boy

Area 7(?) spoilers

The X parasites were almost completely out of my mind until meeting big Bhozo dude, and now later seeing them be unleashed not just in this one small area but now showing up in the entire rest of the game is as big of a "poo poo just got real" moment as I've seen in a Metroid game. :allears:

Everything about this game continues to own :allears: