Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Berzerker posted:

I started season 13 (Cook Islands), the separating people out by their ethnicity was really loving jarring. I can't imagine that's going to last too long before they pull a fast one.

Cook Islands is pretty great, although there is one player where I still don't understand why they were asked back not just one time, but twice. The only enjoyment they brought to Cook Islands was schadenfreude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

The Bloop posted:

Yeah I think people are very hungry

They're chasing crabs all over which probably burns more calories than it provides, but at least gives protein.

Other than that it's coconuts and that one breadfruit.

It's funny, in the latest Survivor South Africa season there was a big debate about this and Kieran went on this grognard rant about how you don't get any benefit from chasing around crabs etc for food because the calories out are more, despite Chappies doing just that AND kicking the poo poo out of everyone in every challenge (setting a challenge record) and dominating until he slipped and lost only one challenge. so in summary, getting food is always worth it, especially if you secretly hoard it and don't share!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Well yeah you have calories to burn in your body but if you eat zero protein and do physically demanding challenges you're going to have a bad time for sure

Plus, boredom. I would definitely chase the crabs

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Caught up on the 3 episodes the last couple days and I agree that they're just going way too hard with these advantages. Seems like this would have been the perfect season to do some regular old school survivor since interest was already high after skipping a full year of survivor.

Just hoping we see a season that has zero advantages or idols and see how the cast each copes with the paranoia.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Right, so, if you can’t vote at any tribal council due to the weird immunity idol, how does steal a vote work? You steal it, but can’t play it yourself, so the only benefit is depriving the other person of a vote?

I’d rather have seen that three person nighttime thing be Jeff roll out and say “welcome to tribal council, where one of you will be voted out.”

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

TheCenturion posted:

Right, so, if you can’t vote at any tribal council due to the weird immunity idol, how does steal a vote work? You steal it, but can’t play it yourself, so the only benefit is depriving the other person of a vote?

I’d rather have seen that three person nighttime thing be Jeff roll out and say “welcome to tribal council, where one of you will be voted out.”

You can't use it, because to steal a vote you need to be able to vote. Not being able to vote also disables your other advantages I believe, since the producers confirmed to someone asking on Twitter that not being able to vote also means you can't use your dice.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah I think if your vote is gone, the only thing you can do is play an idol (or some kind of other gimmick advantage like leaving tribal). You probably can't even play an idol nullifier.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think Fishbach pointed this out on Know-It-Alls, but its interesting that for as many whacky advantages there are this season, nobody has even had a functioning Idol yet.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
If I squint my eyes I sort of see where they were going this season: when tribes are small and the number of votes is constantly being messed with, it really does (or should) shift the meta from long-term alliance planning to short-term "just make sure my name is not in the urn." I don't know if the latter is a better game, but it's at least different and probably better than what they were doing in the 30s which was sporadically messing with the vote count with big tribes so that 90% of the time the advantages were useless and the other 10% it was a unsatisfying random silver bullet.

The main issue is they're devoting way too much screen time to every new mechanic. Messing with the vote count could be good or bad, but it should at least be quick so we can get back to the core of the show.

The other main issue is: if the new "point" of the show is shifting the strategy to short-term risk aversion over long-term alliance building it would be nice if any player on the show could articulate it. Instead, we're getting traditional alliances formed with no real explanation targeting someone not in the alliance also with no real explanation. It's even more jarring given how small the tribes. There's really no excuse for us to have no idea what's going on when only 5 people are attending Tribal Council (and only 4 of them can vote!).

If I had to armchair produce, I think I'd suggest that there's a simpler way to get at what they may be going for here and it's basically make a brand new show. Make some sort of game where everyone votes and the elimination method is one vote is selected at random. Again, I don't know if that's a good show but it accomplishes the same goals of whatever they're trying to do here and is certainly much easier to explain. Of course, that's not really Survivor anymore but maybe if the Survivor producers are sick of making Survivor they should just make a new show and hand the reins of this show over to somebody else.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Imagine the ratings if the producers of Jeopardy or Family Feud hosed around with the rules this much after every season.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Otteration posted:

Imagine the ratings if the producers of Jeopardy or Family Feud hosed around with the rules this much after every season.

There is much consternation every time they change anything at all

When the prizes gallery went away or they added the tossups to wheel, people freaked out for a while. Just this season they changed the final spin so a player does it instead of Pat and lots of boomers had big issues

I was just reading about this, I'm not some huge wheel fan. I do still miss the older Jeopardy music, though

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

There is much consternation every time they change anything at all

When the prizes gallery went away or they added the tossups to wheel, people freaked out for a while. Just this season they changed the final spin so a player does it instead of Pat and lots of boomers had big issues

I was just reading about this, I'm not some huge wheel fan. I do still miss the older Jeopardy music, though

Yea I didn't mention the Wheel cause I did remember them changing stuff often.

They never spent half an episode trying to explain stuff though.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
So we're to assume Brad's Almost-An-Idol gets re-hidden? Was this confirmed? Would seem pretty harsh to leave Xander and whoever finds it on blue SOL because they can't all say the secret phrase together, but I guess who knows with this season.

Count me in also as somebody who doesn't get why Brad got the boot before Genie. Maybe just because Richard and Shan were concerned about his relationship with JD?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vernacular posted:

Count me in also as somebody who doesn't get why Brad got the boot before Genie. Maybe just because Richard and Shan were concerned about his relationship with JD?

I'm going to assume it was because they were concerned about all his advantages since that's what they said on the show.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vernacular posted:

So we're to assume Brad's Almost-An-Idol gets re-hidden? Was this confirmed?

It was in no way confirmed.

Honestly it would be hilarious if the other on was just dead now

and I mean that in a BAD way, I really don't want to see him say that butterfly poo poo again, it's embarrassing to watch

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Bloop posted:

It was in no way confirmed.

Honestly it would be hilarious if the other on was just dead now

and I mean that in a BAD way, I really don't want to see him say that butterfly poo poo again, it's embarrassing to watch

It makes me laugh. It's the only good thing to come out of the absurdity of all these ridiculous twists this season.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Nihonniboku posted:

It makes me laugh. It's the only good thing to come out of the absurdity of all these ridiculous twists this season.

It was very funny how badly Brad mangled his phrase. I assume that wouldn't count? Which would be really funny if that's what was holding the activation back.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PopZeus posted:

It was very funny how badly Brad mangled his phrase. I assume that wouldn't count? Which would be really funny if that's what was holding the activation back.

another problem with the dumb things

I assume it would count, but I guess people wouldn't know until they got in the voting booth

Which is ALSO hilarious but in a bad way

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I was briefly excited with the ~no rice at camp~ changes we would see more of the contestants fishing compared to other seasons, but it looks like that so far the biggest thing that it's done is allow Brad to put together a canoe-double that nobody noticed or cared about. Maybe they'll go through and clear out the coconuts next season

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

For a season where they’re touting it as “back to basics!” and no rice, etc, we are getting zero screen time about the players actually …surviving. There was a quick mention about Naseer finding food for Luvu. I want to see them actually fishing or scrounging because no one is even really talking about being hungry?

Can’t wait for Tiffany to blow up her alliance. I don’t think there’s anyone I care enough about to root for yet. I kind of want Xander to survive until the merge but who knows after that. I hope a likeable personality emerges. Maybe Shan?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

hollylolly posted:

For a season where they’re touting it as “back to basics!” and no rice, etc, we are getting zero screen time about the players actually …surviving. There was a quick mention about Naseer finding food for Luvu. I want to see them actually fishing or scrounging because no one is even really talking about being hungry?
It’s part of the problem with >2 tribes combined with the ridiculous number of items. They only have so much time to devote to each tribe and right now they have to devote it all to keeping up with who found what gimmick.

Hopefully as they whittle it down to 2 and then 1 tribe they can find some time to focus on other things.

quote:

Can’t wait for Tiffany to blow up her alliance. I don’t think there’s anyone I care enough about to root for yet. I kind of want Xander to survive until the merge but who knows after that. I hope a likeable personality emerges. Maybe Shan?
I feel like almost everyone is remarkably likeable this season

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

SweetJahasus posted:

It's funny, in the latest Survivor South Africa season there was a big debate about this and Kieran went on this grognard rant about how you don't get any benefit from chasing around crabs etc for food because the calories out are more, despite Chappies doing just that AND kicking the poo poo out of everyone in every challenge (setting a challenge record) and dominating until he slipped and lost only one challenge. so in summary, getting food is always worth it, especially if you secretly hoard it and don't share!
Shout outs to Survivor South Africa season 8 its super fun. Its not perfect but it feels to me like real old school survivor. like, you will probably hate it if you want optimized, clean play and you will probably love it if you like messy, mistaken-ridden, low budget survivor. I love the survivors and the host, the temperate, windy locale is fresh and great too. I love how silly the product placements are, I like how weird and awkward the immunity island gimmick is. But most of all, I love watching how South Africans play survivor because my gxd is there a difference in culture when compared to the Americans. I mean, episode 1 literally has players casually burying food and nobody talks about why they are and there is zero edit focus on it. Its just part of the... I guess a good way to keep the food fresh? Maybe they are hiding it from other players? Who knows! On to the reward, a bowl of homemade lasagna and some fizzy drink get ready to lose your minds!

freeman posted:

Caught up on the 3 episodes the last couple days and I agree that they're just going way too hard with these advantages. Seems like this would have been the perfect season to do some regular old school survivor since interest was already high after skipping a full year of survivor.

Just hoping we see a season that has zero advantages or idols and see how the cast each copes with the paranoia.
Echoed. So far s41 is about managing advantage items and basic game theory, it feels like production just discovered... board game geek or something?? I'd rather just rewatch The Genius, ya know?

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

It's hard to have The Genius when only one would would qualify by outside merit, and none by actual gameplay.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Come on in, guys!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Lampsacus posted:

Shout outs to Survivor South Africa season 8 its super fun. Its not perfect but it feels to me like real old school survivor. like, you will probably hate it if you want optimized, clean play and you will probably love it if you like messy, mistaken-ridden, low budget survivor. I love the survivors and the host, the temperate, windy locale is fresh and great too. I love how silly the product placements are, I like how weird and awkward the immunity island gimmick is. But most of all, I love watching how South Africans play survivor because my gxd is there a difference in culture when compared to the Americans. I mean, episode 1 literally has players casually burying food and nobody talks about why they are and there is zero edit focus on it. Its just part of the... I guess a good way to keep the food fresh? Maybe they are hiding it from other players? Who knows! On to the reward, a bowl of homemade lasagna and some fizzy drink get ready to lose your minds!

Echoed. So far s41 is about managing advantage items and basic game theory, it feels like production just discovered... board game geek or something?? I'd rather just rewatch The Genius, ya know?

Seconding this. SA season 8 is fun front to back and is VERY different from US survivor in a good way.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I watched one season of that, the one with Verner and Tom and Palessa. It had a pretty good story. I didn’t like how the jury openly scoffed at players until they changed their plans though, it seemed really unfair

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ready to cringe

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
All this emotion over one fish.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

"The reason I'm still here, after 21 years, is because of moments like this"

*Points to woman ugly crying in despair"

Very nice, Jeff.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Ghosts isnt real, right?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Its on its third season in the UK lol

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
PUT THE LIME IN THE COCONUT

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Blue must be so bored to have wanted to throw this challenge.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't want to be a villain, said the villain

Hmm hmm hmmmmm hm hm hmmm

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Gonna need a gif of that wink.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
:drat:

That was a great episode. Remind me how much advantage talk we got?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

lmao that owned, the pastor is cold blooded

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
No butterflies, did they edit that poo poo out

No re explaining the prisoners dilemma

Good ep

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I feel bad for JD but he was real, real bad at Survivor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Bloop posted:

No butterflies, did they edit that poo poo out

No re explaining the prisoners dilemma

Good ep

I think the phrase thing is only mandated the first time someone shows up at a challenge after finding it, or in response to someone else calling out their phrase

/it's funny Shan gave JD back the advantage only to have to scam him back out of it again