Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yes and yes. Well technically most of the time TF use the Sovereign Fund and the Public Investment Fund interchangeably - and confusingly the former is owned by the Saudi central bank and funded by the government and the latter is owned by the House of Saud directly - but ultimately there's no real difference between the government and the royal family there. It's the latter which has bought Newcastle because the former is only supposed to be used for poo poo like that ridiculous linear city that is supposed to replace oil revenues, while the latter is just used for vanity projects for the royals.

If you want to know everything about modern football by the way, the thing that stopped the PIF from passing the FA's "fit and proper" test wasn't the whole genocide/regressive theocracy/cutting up journalists thing... but that Saudi Arabia was pirating Premier League matches. The moment they agreed to stop that - erm, to take action against the completely independent company that was doing that - the takeover went through.

Bein sports Tv is one of the most successful cultural exports of qatar, hence saudi pirating

it’s going to be awful for those of us with dodgy decoders used to seeing all the matches in high def

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Tsietisin posted:

Him not doing that does surprise me, as when he was doing "The Man Show", he was happy to do a full interview on a Shoutcast internet radio station that had around 25 peak listeners.

Get him on the podcast

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

Bein sports Tv is one of the most successful cultural exports of qatar, hence saudi pirating

it’s going to be awful for those of us with dodgy decoders used to seeing all the matches in high def

On the plus side, not being able to see what's going on might actually increase your appreciation of some Premier League matches.

I actually stopped watching the Premier League in January - I've been getting more and more annoyed with it in the last few years, and the utterly farcical implementation of VAR was more or less the last straw for me. I know they've improved it this year, but until they start using it to give Yellow cards for diving, arguing with the referee and demanding another player gets booked/sent off (which are all things players should be booked for), I'll stay convinced that it's all about trying to turn football into a non-contact sport.

And I don't miss it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jel Shaker posted:

Ah it's fine, they still don't properly encrypt their streams (which is how the Saudis were able to pirate it so easily) so it'll still be available.

In Minecraft, or whatever it is the cool kids say nowadays.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

kingturnip posted:

On the plus side, not being able to see what's going on might actually increase your appreciation of some Premier League matches.

I actually stopped watching the Premier League in January - I've been getting more and more annoyed with it in the last few years, and the utterly farcical implementation of VAR was more or less the last straw for me. I know they've improved it this year, but until they start using it to give Yellow cards for diving, arguing with the referee and demanding another player gets booked/sent off (which are all things players should be booked for), I'll stay convinced that it's all about trying to turn football into a non-contact sport.

And I don't miss it.

In rugby if one argues with the ref or if anyone other than the captain complains about anything the infringement mark is moved ten yards forwards. No crowding the ref, no long arguments, it’s great.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Although you do sometimes get technically allowable but arguably unsporting behaviour that runs down the clock and boils over.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Refs are cops and should never be 'respected'. VAR is a tool used to humiliate and belittle them and their petty small-minded decisions against my club (against which they are biased) and therefore is a good thing

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

a video action replay of piss

E: for content, what do people think of this?

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/1446760874916683779?t=Imit5VyhA7fHcDXVhKEf4g&s=19

Monbiot is an interesting one because he genuinely seems to realise the problem is capitalism sometimes, and has been posting stridently to that effect, but this feels like a drift back to trying to compromise with solutions within capitalism.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 9, 2021

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

E: for content, what do people think of this?

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/1446760874916683779?t=Imit5VyhA7fHcDXVhKEf4g&s=19

Monbiot is an interesting one because he genuinely seems to realise the problem is capitalism sometimes, and has been posting stridently to that effect, but this feels like a drift back to trying to compromise with solutions within capitalism.

We'd all be delighted if Gay Space Communism could be implemented within our lifetimes, but I fear that the only thing likely to make capitalism go away at this point is the descent into Mad Max World.

Which, you know, same difference, etc.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

for content, what do people think of this?

It reminds me a bit of Chomsky talking about corporate charters (as they used to exist as quite restrictive things granted by the State, rather than anyone being able to wander along and set up a limited company).

Yes it means a return a bit to olde style chartered monopolies but it also means that it's only the state that has to be recaptured from business interests (hard) rather than the state and every large company that has to be captured from business interests (impossible).

Noam Chomsky posted:

It’s an old story. Until the late 19th century, corporations were limited to functions explicitly determined by the state charters.

quote:

There are, as you point out, legal mechanisms for dissolving corporations, since they all have to have state charters. But let’s not delude ourselves—these are massive changes. Just suggesting charter revocation as a tactic doesn’t make any sense—it can only be considered after legislatures reflect the public interest instead of business interests, and that will require very substantial education and organization, and construction of alternative institutions to run the economy more democratically.

quote:

When you eliminate the one institutional structure in which people can participate to some extent—namely the government—you’re simply handing over power to unaccountable private tyrannies that are much worse. So you have to make use of the state, all the time recognizing that you ultimately want to eliminate it.

So the line of thinking there is that the state has to become more representative to avoid business capture, and then the state can in turn regulate corporate externalities rather than shepherd monopolies.

There's a lot that can go wrong there, but I at least see his line of reasoning.

Monbiot's is a bit more off, because I don't see where the public control of these insurance product providers would come from, that seems like a far more direct route to monopoly capture than even 'states regulate the corporations and we try to regulate the states'.

In conclusion

Bobby Deluxe posted:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
kaptain kunt

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

crispix posted:

kaptain kunt

Wet O's

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Keith 'technically a soup' starmer.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Unkempt posted:

Keith 'technically a soup' starmer.

Reduces all policies to a soup-like homogenate in 20 seconds.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

the sex ghost posted:

Refs are cops and should never be 'respected'.

Douglas Ross is a football ref in his spare time, so that checks out.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
A boomer so boomy it could rival the big bang

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hate paying young people to do things, when I was young I was paid to do things.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

What a load of blx.
One of my aunts who is now in her late 70s was a 'ted' in the 50s, wearing skin tight trousers (like Olivia Newton John in Grease), and hanging round in gangs with boy 'teds' swinging chains and broken bottles.

Good Lord, Priti 'Awful' Patel in 'stopped clock' moment:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/09/priti-patel-johnson-blocks-public-sexual-harassment-law-home-office-pm-offence

quote:

Boris Johnson has infuriated the home secretary by overruling attempts to make public sexual harassment a crime. This has prompted concern at the Home Office that the prime minister views the issue as mere “wolf whistling”, rather than the aggressive targeting of women and girls going about their daily lives.

Sources say tensions have emerged between Johnson and Priti Patel, and other senior Home Office figures, after he blocked plans to make public sexual harassment a specific offence.

Patel’s consultation on tackling violence against women and girls, drew feedback from 180,000 contributors – the majority sent after the murder of Sarah Everard in March – with many respondents complaining of being hassled on a daily basis.

Johnson announced last week that he did not support any new law on tackling violence against women, claiming there is “abundant” existing legislation. This caused disquiet throughout the Home Office.

Sources believe the prime minister has completely misjudged the public mood following the murders of Everard and, more recently, Sabina Nessa, both attacked while walking in the capital.

etc

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 9, 2021

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Thus of ould, thus now, anyone?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

A boomer so boomy it could rival the big bang

'"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint".'

700BC, contemporaneous with Homer, literally among the first works of classical literature we have available to us.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm in like four different minds what to think on this one.

1. Yeah paying kids to learn engineering, vehicle operation and maintenence, construction trades, healthcare, cooking prep, disaster relief, and a bit of esprit de corps might be a better idea than student debt and Brimstone® Missiles™
  2. It is a bit sad if the only appeal that we can make to get youth vaccinated is to their wallets, and not to public health or society or the People or any other concept that has been reduced to a trifle over the decades
  3. Looking at the youth violence, teen pregnancy, illiteracy, etc rates back then he doesn't get to poo poo talk modern youth about anything though

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I sort of understand what Johnson means when he says there's existing legislation against harrassment. There is, just like there's existing legislation against murder. The problem is the laws aren't enforced, and there needs to be a fundamental shift in attitudes towards the unacceptability of harassment. Years ago construction sites implemented a zero tolerance policy towards builders catcalling women and you know what? After a couple of people were fired, the rest got the message. It's gone from being a stereotype to a rarity.

That said, you know he's not pointing to existing laws and telling police to enforce them, he just doesn't see a problem.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

He knows exactly what he's doing - if any new measures come out against harassing women, there is a 99-100% certainty that he has been recorded doing it multiple times.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

He knows exactly what he's doing - if any new measures come out against harassing women, there is a 99-100% certainty that he has been recorded doing it multiple times.

Yes, I suspect he is a prolific offender.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
So I see nobody won the lottery then? All the more for me next week then. Yacht just got a little bit bigger.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If the PM can just block the Home Office like that, that makes all the dogshit they've done over the past decades even worse.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

yeah but hes immune to shame and cabinet MPs are never done for anything

so i think in this instance he's just being a poo poo rather than worried someone is gonna point out hypocrisy

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So I see nobody won the lottery then? All the more for me next week then. Yacht just got a little bit bigger.

drat I forgot to get a ticket. That's why nobody won. Mine would have been the winning one

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

One of the most shocking thing about Brexit was not just that the UK was still allowed be in the Euromillions draw, but that about 4-5 of the big jackpots have been won by people in the UK.

Also the jackpot maxes out at €200 million. They let it roll over 3-4 times, then they make it a money split between the highest tier of winner rules.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Haven't checked.

I did win £1 on an instant win game so shove over, my kayak is about to moor next to your yacht.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

If the PM can just block the Home Office like that, that makes all the dogshit they've done over the past decades even worse.

Well he can and he can't. The Prime Minister has almost no constitutional power, he "advises" the queen on the appointment of ministers (and a bunch of other government positions). The point is though that that one bit of hard power gives him basically unlimited soft power because if any minister tries to force through a change he doesn't like he can just replace them. In fact in theory he doesn't even have to actively sack them, cabinet collective responsibility means that any minister who disagrees with the collective decision of the cabinet (which is of course made up entirely of ministers he can hire and fire) has to resign, although in this post-consequences world I only give it a few months before that's out the window too.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Ok so this guy is actually lying. You had to be 18 to do national service and this is for under 18s for a start but anyway.

It was 28 shillings from 1948 to 1960. The very very youngest he could be is 80 to have got that wage and that’s highly unlikely. He’s also glossing over the fact that 28 shillings was higher than the average weekly wage.

The most boomer of things, claiming credit for things previous generations did while they were mollycoddled and pandered to.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

My first full day's wages in 1975/6 was £3.29 for 8 hours in Peacocks (excluding when we used to get dumped at farms in the summer and get 20p for a whole day picking spuds when I was about 13).

I was just looking up house prices back then and found this graph. I think something has gone a bit wonky with the price scale!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's real UK house prices, not including paup houses with only one bathroom.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

learnincurve posted:

Ok so this guy is actually lying. You had to be 18 to do national service and this is for under 18s for a start but anyway.

It was 28 shillings from 1948 to 1960. The very very youngest he could be is 80 to have got that wage and that’s highly unlikely. He’s also glossing over the fact that 28 shillings was higher than the average weekly wage.

The most boomer of things, claiming credit for things previous generations did while they were mollycoddled and pandered to.

Nah, you can find him online quite easily and he's old enough.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was just looking up house prices back then and found this graph. I think something has gone a bit wonky with the price scale!

House Price as a multiple of income drift is wiiiild

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
We found an unresponsive man in an alleyway to the park just round from my house today.

When I got there he was foaming at the mouth with glassy eyes but breathing so I kept him in the recovery position so he wouldnt choke on whatever was coming up while someone else called an Ambulance. It took 25 minutes to arrive.

Guy absolutely reeked of alcohol and came round enough to at least let me know what else he'd taken.

gently caress having to deal with that for your job. Absolutely gently caress that. I've never seen anything so horrible.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
thats basically the state I'm in every post I make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it sounds like you saved his life, which not everyone would have done, good on you for doing it.