Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

nonfreebsd

E: sorry for putting this at the top of a page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

nonfreebsd

E: sorry for putting this at the top of a page

It’s technically free

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
People don’t know the subtleties of Unix, Linux and posix. If there is an /etc/ directory it’s a Linux.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All I know is Jurassic Park runs on a Unix system.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MacOS has a terminal therefore it is Linux. Checkmate Linuxailures :smuggo:

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

FCKGW posted:

MacOS has a terminal therefore it is Linux. Checkmate Linuxailures :smuggo:

downloading PuTTY and turning my windows 98 into a linux distro

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Slashes go /
Not like \
Like /

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Spoderman posted:

downloading PuTTY and turning my windows 98 into a linux distro
You won't convince anyone that it's a Linux machine unless you also disable the sound drivers.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

All I know is Jurassic Park runs on a Unix system.

i know this

it's a trap

in non-trap options just dropped WAY TOO MUCH MONEY on an ipad pro, thanks apple for such a great general portable computing device and ow that's like half my living expenses for this semester

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My iPad Pro is my second most used device behind my phone. I have one with an LTE plan and that $20 a month is well spent. I take the drat thing everywhere with me.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

May your life be long and free from the sudden appearance of St. Ignucius. :rms2:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

FMguru posted:

You won't convince anyone that it's a Linux machine unless you also disable the sound drivers.

this is why MacOS can never be a Linux

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

limaCAT posted:

May your life be long and free from the sudden appearance of St. Ignucius. :rms2:

don’t worry, nobody who posts in this thread is a woman

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

limaCAT posted:

There, that ought to keep this thread RMS-free.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

don’t worry, nobody who posts in this thread is a woman

well poo poo, guess i need to tell my conversion therapist he was right after all

Sealcub
Sep 11, 2008
Hi again, thanks to all for the advice regarding external monitors for a MBP. I found this model which looks like a happy medium between desk space and display resolution: https://www.newegg.com/lg-25um58-25-ultrawide-full-hd/p/N82E16824025340?Item=9SIAFVF9AG3698&quicklink=true

I'm wondering if there's any reason to believe a mid-2015 15" MBP wouldn't be able to support that 2560 x 1080p resolution, which looks like a ~21:9 ratio, but I figure I should ask because it's rather unusual..

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don’t thiiiink you can do that resolution over HDMI, I think you’d need to go miniDP out from the MBP to displayport on the monitor end (which that one you posted doesn’t have). I could be wrong though.

Sealcub
Sep 11, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don’t thiiiink you can do that resolution over HDMI, I think you’d need to go miniDP out from the MBP to displayport on the monitor end (which that one you posted doesn’t have). I could be wrong though.

Oh darn, thanks I'll look into that!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This page might help

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202351

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm not guaranteeing it'll work, but HDMI itself shouldn't have any limits preventing it. I know my late-2013 15" rMBP can drive 2560x1440 out its HDMI port, and 2560x1080 is fewer pixels than that.

If you're worried about that specific resolution being oddball and not supported by the spec, well, HDMI is descended from DVI, which is essentially a digital version of VGA. It doesn't have a static set of resolutions it supports, the transmitter can send essentially anything as long as the pixel clock doesn't have to go too high and the horizontal/vertical blanking periods aren't too short. (yes, that's right, because it is descended from an analog video spec designed to drive CRTs, HDMI has blanking periods built in)

The only reason it might not work is if the MBP's HDMI out doesn't support that resolution. It probably does, but OP should make sure to buy through some place which has good refund policy in case it doesn't. Also see stuff like this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7855232

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I had a 13 or 15" retina that couldn't do 2560x1440 over hdmi but could over Mini DisplayPort

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Anyone have much experience with DisplayLink with M1s?

My dream situation would be a 3rd digital signage ultra-stretch display below my two M1 Mini screens, but that does not appear reasonable cost wise for the display/resolution.

Second hope was using Duet with a 10" Lenovo tablet with a docking station that I already owned, the resolution is dogshit though, I mean it works, but the scaling is utter crap.

I ended up ordering a 12" 1366x768 monitor that is intended for mobile applications and a DisplayLink adaptor. My goal is to have a place to dock things like iMessage, Outlook, Teams, Weather radar, etc that don't need large spaces but I would still like to have up sometimes while I am using my other two monitors for other things.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

My dream situation would be a 3rd digital signage ultra-stretch display below my two M1 Mini screens, but that does not appear reasonable cost wise for the display/resolution.

Second hope was using Duet with a 10" Lenovo tablet with a docking station that I already owned, the resolution is dogshit though, I mean it works, but the scaling is utter crap.

I ended up ordering a 12" 1366x768 monitor that is intended for mobile applications and a DisplayLink adaptor. My goal is to have a place to dock things like iMessage, Outlook, Teams, Weather radar, etc that don't need large spaces but I would still like to have up sometimes while I am using my other two monitors for other things.

lol is that Dubai in your background

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Three Olives posted:

from what i've heard it sucks rear end and there's no guarantee it'll continue to work.

also lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

also lol

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Save yourself a headache and get a few iPad minis that only show your email, weather, etc.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Save yourself a headache and get a few iPad minis that only show your email, weather, etc.

or like a Surface Go. Running Teams, etc actually seems like a decent use for something like that.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ok Comboomer posted:

or like a Surface Go. Running Teams, etc actually seems like a decent use for something like that.

I actually use Teams on my iPad Pro and it's pretty decent.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

scott zoloft posted:

Slashes go /
Not like \
Like /

You're not a true Mac user unless you use : instead of /

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Ok Comboomer posted:

A Surface Go costs more than an iPad9 and is far, far worse unless you need to run Windows-only software.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

~Coxy posted:

A Surface Go costs more than an iPad9 and is far, far worse unless you need to run Windows-only software.

yeah, I figured that out afterwards, lmao good going microsoft (micro$oft :argh::argh::argh:)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Arivia posted:

well poo poo, guess i need to tell my conversion therapist he was right after all

great now the thread’s been scented

fortunately for us, we’ve posted plants

and RMS probably despises Macs and Apple on principle like every other big Linux guy, so we’re probably safe regardless.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah, I figured that out afterwards, lmao good going microsoft (micro$oft :argh::argh::argh:)

Hey, in this case they maybe deserve slight credit, for not crippling Teams on non-MS platforms :laugh:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The Surface Go also sucks rear end at running Windows software, unfortunately.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

and RMS probably despises Macs and Apple on principle like every other big Linux guy, so we’re probably safe regardless.

“Mac stands for ‘Macs ain’t computers’.”

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

doingitwrong posted:

:discourse:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My mac address is “on my desk”

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Can't the iPad Pro run circles around any Surface?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

doingitwrong posted:

My Anti-Computer, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

redeyes posted:

Can't the iPad Pro run circles around any Surface?

probably an embarrassing number of windows laptops, generally

but ofc the ipp doesn’t run windows which for some is just still a necessity

still not worth it imo (a surface vs an ipad that is) though i will note in some respects the ipad is still bad at multitasking and probably always will be versus windows or macos