Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, there's definitely some cult of personality stuff going on, like the soldiers that were killing themselves trying to build the arena slightly faster. But those were people who were willingly drinking the kool-aid and trying to get ahead by sucking up to Solomon, it's no surprise average people trying to get by feel differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
david's relationship with the citizens of rayuba isn't a personality cult, it's a personality religion

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

solomon eat the worm

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

The last panel, to me, reads of abject terror - not a man who is about to violently snap and kill his people, but one who sees/senses a big red death machine that he now knows in his bones he can't beat marching over to finish the job. His people are all dead/about to die, and he is powerless and afraid.

Poor Dave.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

my big fantasy speculation is that jaggs' death march has him cross paths with maya, who, without a word or a sideways glance, bisects him and continues on her way to incubus

i mean if this were a big schlocky dipshit story i’d be totally on board with something like this for sure (see: the 80 times it happens in the no more heroes games) but as something that genuinely has crafted characters with motivations, themes that have been given time and care to develop, and a plotted out destination in mind since it began, it would come off as dumpstering all of that for a stupid “gotcha!” moment and would suck a whole bunch imho

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I agree, however Jagg is defeated at this point, there has to be something poetic about it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

drat she just ended that demiurges whole career

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Jaggs has a heart attack and the comic pivots into a warning on the dangers of heart disease, the number one killer in America, with another person dying from it every 36 seconds.

Kill 6 Billion Demons was a deep-cover ad by the American Heart Association this whole time.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
My read is that Dave is realizing the justification for his rule has fallen apart and maybe White Chain was right. He's going to follow the will of the Mass, just like he did the last time we got those faces.

e: It probably doesn't matter too much, in the end, since he's likely going to get gibbed anyway, but I don't think he's freaking out about his impending death or about to paste everyone.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 9, 2021

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Lights posted:

The last panel, to me, reads of abject terror - not a man who is about to violently snap and kill his people, but one who sees/senses a big red death machine that he now knows in his bones he can't beat marching over to finish the job. His people are all dead/about to die, and he is powerless and afraid.

Poor Dave.

It is happening to him, again. And he can't stop it, again.

Except this time his family isn't just his wife and daughter(s?), it is 1/7th of all creation.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

It is happening to him, again. And he can't stop it, again.

Except this time his family isn't just his wife and daughter(s?), it is 1/7th of all creation.

Yeah, and part of me thinks his whole empire was built to prove to himself that he could do it and protect all those people, and that has gone from maybe true to definitely false within the last hour or so.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Wait a sec, there's mouseover text? Welp, time to reread the whole comic!

Wait til this guys finds out about the undercomic side stories most pages have.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

skaianDestiny posted:

What happens when they see their leaders fight (when they've established that not only is they are The Best At Fighting but that being The Best At Fighting is the only thing preventing their annihilation) and then loving get their poo poo punched in?

They know full well the image they have of their leader is a façade, and they double down anyway. Somewhere between sunk-cost fallacy and stubborn contrarianism.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Look at how Trump's depicted in a Ben Garrison cartoon and realize that the mental image of the Great Leader can survive any amount of physical evidence to the contrary.

But I think what Solomon David's discovering is that, like a computing pun pointed out, he hasn't actually built a cult of personality, just the facade of one. He had the grand parades, the people declaring their love, all the trappings of it, but he never actually needed it to be load-bearing since Ki Rata, not the State, was his real power base. So his role to the people of Rayuba... was really more like infrastructure. He was the floodwall that kept violence off to the boundaries, but when he broke, like when the subway breaks down, people didn't hesitate to bitch about it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well now i’m just thinking of a kill six billion demons political cartoon done in the style of ben garrison

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

and then that political cartoon being edited to be about cum

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

well now i’m just thinking of a kill six billion demons political cartoon done in the style of ben garrison

even swoller solomon david backhanding a scrawny jagganoth: "NOT AN ARGUMENT!"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Precambrian posted:

Look at how Trump's depicted in a Ben Garrison cartoon and realize that the mental image of the Great Leader can survive any amount of physical evidence to the contrary.

But I think what Solomon David's discovering is that, like a computing pun pointed out, he hasn't actually built a cult of personality, just the facade of one. He had the grand parades, the people declaring their love, all the trappings of it, but he never actually needed it to be load-bearing since Ki Rata, not the State, was his real power base. So his role to the people of Rayuba... was really more like infrastructure. He was the floodwall that kept violence off to the boundaries, but when he broke, like when the subway breaks down, people didn't hesitate to bitch about it.

This is consistent with his unwillingness to actually nominate an heir to his empire, which we've discussed a lot previously.

If he genuinely wanted his empire to function without himself while still recognizing that he was critical infrastructure, he could've left his empire to the bureaucrats and meditated in a cave somewhere until he was needed to punch Incubus or something.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, this is the Tragedy of Dave. It's the thing he never ever wanted to feel again, and despite all he did he couldn't keep it from happening. He's a tyrant, and his empire was candy coated cruelty, but I still feel empathy towards him.

I am very excited to see what happens next.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 9, 2021

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Precambrian posted:

I think the difference is that in an actual cult of personality buy-in to the cult becomes a coping mechanism and if that delusion is shattered, a lot of people will react by doubling down on the delusion. In Rayuba's case there wasn't a delusion: Dear Leader literally was a god king and warrior-poet who single handedly protected them from dastardly outsiders, founded a philosophy of absolute civic harmony, and shoots a perfect game of golf every time. When that shield broke they didn't have any delusion about it to overcome, they were just straight up faced with the reality that the leader who claimed he was invincible and immaculate was not.

Cults are fuckin weird and incredibly difficult to separate from after you've fallen too far down the rabbit hole. Dave didn't really have one because it was never necessary.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Its full of stars

although if I'm being pedantic it should be "your robe looks like a dishrag, goddamn"

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Yeah, Solomon David's god-king image was ... basically accurate. He promised that he could kill anything and anyone that threatened him, invited them on stage to take their best shot and die.

It just turns out that Jagganoth was more powerful, and had no interest in creating a harmonious (legalist, absolutist, and brutally carceral) society. Solomon David's fundamental promise and terror was "I may not be the best man in the cosmos, but I am the strongest and the most capable of keeping things running, so I am in charge until someone stronger than me comes along and overthrows me. I would very much like that person to be a better ruler than I am, but I can't hand things off to anyone weaker than myself."

He's been staring down the tunnel at this train for literally millennia telling himself that actually, there won't be a stronger monster come to take the throne, and if there is, they'll have to have the discipline and foresight to be a good ruler as well. Now it's arrived and he really has no answer to it. He hasn't been trying to find a way to keep going, to have some kind of society, after meeting the Solomon+1 murderer. He's never been able to handle the possibility of a world without the guarantee of his own unbeatable strength.

I'm genuinely unsure where he goes next! There's so many ways he could strike out or react, because we don't really know what Solomon does without his certainty. He's had it since he learned ki rata, and I don't think he even for a moment made actual plans for what would happen when his strength, his role as guarantor of the social order, was no longer supreme.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
eagerly awaiting the trump as jagganoth and/or salami dave edits

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'm genuinely unsure where he goes next!

Hell, probably

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

my big fantasy speculation is that jaggs' death march has him cross paths with maya, who, without a word or a sideways glance, bisects him and continues on her way to incubus

lol :rolleyes:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's fascinating how poorly religion can handle their god being an actual tangible being. Faith is an extremely powerful tool for creating lifelong adherents, but only when it's faith in the unknown. Faith in the known is as fragile as the known itself.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Found a pretty good writeup regard Salami Dan.

quote:

Was thinking on Solomon David and when horrible things are necessity, and of three divine paradigms he could have followed, and what he thought he was following, as opposed to how he actually was.

Let us take three(thinly veiled) hypothetical deities: Benevolent Bob, Heart-Eating Harold, and Baby-eating Jones.

All three of these deities are supremely powerful entities who protect their world from outside monstrosities that want to do terrible things to everyone. If they stop protecting their world, horrible monsters from beyond will enter in, kill everyone, and do unspeakable things to their souls.

Benevolent Bob doesn't need anything from the populace; he appreciates worship to remind him that y'all are still there, but he's mainly all about fighting the forces of evil. His edicts are mainly about not being a dick to one another, and he generally doesn't interfere too much with the populace. He's benevolent, but busy, and only likely to intervene in the affairs of his worshippers when poo poo is going super-south. Benevolent Bob doesn't need anything from any sacrifices-any sort of prayer or offering is purely for the sentimental value, and he'd just prefer you all be decent to each other and maybe send a prayer his way every so often because it's nice to talk to people. Also, being less of a dick to one another keeps him from being distracted when he's focused on fighting the forces of evil.

Heart-Eating Harold is also fighting the forces of darkness, but he has a critical weakness-every year, he has to eat one human heart to keep up his strength, otherwise he'll lose against the forces of evil and then they'll break through his barriers and do unspeakable things to all the people he's protecting. One human HAS to have their heart carved out or else everyone will die, so his priests go around and once a year pick one person and rip out their heart so Harold can eat it and keep up his strength. Everybody knows this but people being people, occasionally they try to game the system so Harold's world has a really rigid structure of laws to keep rebels from upsetting the applecart. Harold, not being a complete dick about this, also ascends the souls of the sacrifices to hang out with him forever and exist as cool-rear end angel beings, because really it's the least he could do.

Baby-Eating Jones, on the other hand, just likes the taste of babies. Sacrifice your babies to Baby-eating Jones and he might do you a solid, give you a leg up, or decide not to obliterate you. Sure, yeah, he's fighting the forces of darkness and protecting everyone, but really it's an ego trip and he's mostly in it for the babies. Sacrifice a baby to Baby-Eating Jones, or he'll go gently caress off somewhere else where they're willing to offer fresh babies and then the forces of darkness will just roll in and eat everyone ANYHOW, your baby included. So offer up the kiddos, and you might get some good poo poo out of it; otherwise Jones will just be pissed about things and might take it out on you.

(thinly veiled references to Ahura Mazda, Huitzilopochtli, and Moloch...)

Solomon David could have been Benevolent Bob-his power level and abilities put him in that scheme. Solomon David THOUGHT he was Heart-Eating Harold; got to have good order otherwise terrible bad things happen, so harsh punishments and a rigid law structure to prevent this!

Solomon David is Baby-Eating Jones. The punishments and sacrifices just increase his ego. He doesn't need anything from his people; they perform the sacrifices and labor because he can put a second sun in the sky and explode a million people by being pissed. But the universe IS full of horrific things that he's ostensibly keeping at bay, so better keep with the sacrifices and the incredibly rigid law structure to keep him happy. Failing to do so in the best case pisses him off; failing to do so in the worst case means he leaves and other, more HORRIBLE gods move in.

If Solomon David required, say, fresh human hearts every so often to maintain his power and was otherwise cool and keeping the horrific power of, say, Gog Agog at bay, you could argue that it was a tragic necessity but not an evil act. Failing to offer up the hearts just means everyone gets Gog Agog'd.

But he doesn't need peoples' hearts. He doesn't NEED anything from them at all; they inherently don't contribute anything to his personal murder power. Instead, he just really enjoys things being incredibly harsh and authoritarian, with endless monuments and sacrifices to how awesome he is. He may not literally eat babies, but he's indulging in pointless suffering for his own ego.

Is he a better ruler than other Demiurges? Probably. If you had the option, it's probably better to live under Salami Dave's tyranny than other places in the multiverse. But his rule is needlessly cruel, so it's not GOOD.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Ultimate Hustler returneth :drat:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

skaianDestiny posted:

Found a pretty good writeup regard Salami Dan.

I want to add to this that Dave is a Baby-Eating Jones who has convinced himself that he's a Benevolent Bob.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I don't have anything poignant to add to this conversation but I made this a while ago and forgot to post it and this feels like the last time it'll be relevant

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Doesn't Ki Rata require perfect concentration at all times? I think it's possible Dave's breakdown results in him not being able to master himself in the way needed to actually use it, allowing Jaggs to easily squish him.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

Doesn't Ki Rata require perfect concentration at all times? I think it's possible Dave's breakdown results in him not being able to master himself in the way needed to actually use it, allowing Jaggs to easily squish him.

jaggs has three keys right now and was unstoppable with just one, it'll be a stomping no matter what

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

habeasdorkus posted:

Doesn't Ki Rata require perfect concentration at all times? I think it's possible Dave's breakdown results in him not being able to master himself in the way needed to actually use it, causing all his muscles to instantly explode.

Nani!?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
For some reason, I felt an inexplicable need to unite these two Homestuck adjacent properties.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Should also note while some people are disparaging Salad Dan there's still some people begging for him to help and protect them.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Cowcaster posted:

I made one in the style of Kelly (from the Onion) for the heck of it a while ago, but I don't think I ever posted it. I'll have to dig through my laptop once I'm home and see if I have it saved! Please accept this amazing and insightful political commentary as an apology.

Dammerung fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 10, 2021

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

For some reason, I felt an inexplicable need to unite these two Homestuck adjacent properties.

You know, I've always known that both funny pixel game and tyrant toppler were spawned from Homestuck, but I've never had to grapple with the fact that there's only two degrees of separation between them and now I'm feeble from neural swelling

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ThaumPenguin posted:

You know, I've always known that both funny pixel game and tyrant toppler were spawned from Homestuck, but I've never had to grapple with the fact that there's only two degrees of separation between them and now I'm feeble from neural swelling

i warned you about the shape of creation, bro

i told you about creation

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ThaumPenguin posted:

Literally spawned from the same forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

maybe Jagg just needs a friend, has anyone tried that