Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My first full day's wages in 1975/6 was 」3.29 for 8 hours in Peacocks (excluding when we used to get dumped at farms in the summer and get 20p for a whole day picking spuds when I was about 13).

I was just looking up house prices back then and found this graph. I think something has gone a bit wonky with the price scale!

My first proper salaried role in 1990 got me the unimaginable riches of 」61 for a week's work at a camera shop (including 」1 commission!). Given that I was pulling down more than that cash-in-hand per day working on market stalls[1] before that it was a bit of a come-down, especially as it was the first time I'd seen the word "deductions" written down (which is possibly why I remember the gross amount clear as day but the net amount has completely slipped my mind, I think I slipped into a fugue state when I got to that bit of the payslip).

Oh, and that was for a 45-hour week, so 」1.35 an hour, or 」3.15 in modern money. It's probably not surprising that I went back to working cash in hand for quite a while after that.

Having said that a few years after that I was making 」4k a year working in a lovely photo lab in Chiswick which is the nearest I've ever got to being *maybe* able to afford to buy a place in London because a bunch of new-builds on the Isle of Dogs were auctioned off for 」12k-」16k when the developer went bust in the early-90s property crash (and no, that's *not* a decimal point error like that graph - sixteen thousand pounds sterling for a 2-bedroom semi in E14). Having said that those new builds still can't get FTTC, let alone FTTP, so I dodged a bullet there frankly.

[1] Admittedly selling pirated video games was still pretty lucrative in those days, but even when I helped out on my mate's dad's stall slinging fruit and veg I was still getting a score for the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
my first job I was getting a snake skin truffle n' half an apple with a leotard's crotch of rice for my weekly tribulations, soon after I passed my accountancy trials and was making a cool million.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

blunt posted:

House Price as a multiple of income drift is wiiiild

That scale and start date means it's missing an obvious line.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

That scale and start date means it's missing an obvious line.

This graph strongly suggests that either Jaeluni's first job, or my birth, is what crashed the London property bubble created by the end of the Apollo programme.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

serious gaylord posted:

We found an unresponsive man in an alleyway to the park just round from my house today.

When I got there he was foaming at the mouth with glassy eyes but breathing so I kept him in the recovery position so he wouldnt choke on whatever was coming up while someone else called an Ambulance. It took 25 minutes to arrive.

Guy absolutely reeked of alcohol and came round enough to at least let me know what else he'd taken.

gently caress having to deal with that for your job. Absolutely gently caress that. I've never seen anything so horrible.

Good on you for helping him

I did this once but the guy got up and ran away when I said I'd called an ambulance lol

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well he can and he can't. The Prime Minister has almost no constitutional power, he "advises" the queen on the appointment of ministers (and a bunch of other government positions). The point is though that that one bit of hard power gives him basically unlimited soft power because if any minister tries to force through a change he doesn't like he can just replace them. In fact in theory he doesn't even have to actively sack them, cabinet collective responsibility means that any minister who disagrees with the collective decision of the cabinet (which is of course made up entirely of ministers he can hire and fire) has to resign, although in this post-consequences world I only give it a few months before that's out the window too.

With the caveat that he might then face a leadership challenge ofc, especially if its the Chancellor. The Blair/Brown dynamic. Home Sec tends to be more a poisoned chalice.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Tag yourself, I知 a spoorn:

https://twitter.com/roymarshall2/status/1446773958385225736

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I'm a Dick a Tuesday.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Communist Thoughts posted:

I did this once but the guy got up and ran away when I said I'd called an ambulance lol

I helped a guy who had a seizure on Tottenham Court Road a while ago. Really amazing demonstration of the bystander effect - poor bloke screamed and went rigid like he'd been struck by lightning, then went down *hard* (I still hear the "clonk" of his head hitting the pavement in my dreams sometimes), and at least 20 people just stared at him for what felt like an hour (was probably only a few seconds) before I stepped forward more out of embarrassment than sense of duty, then half a dozen people also stepped forward, although mostly with extremely useless solutions like "Grab his tongue!" - I really, really wanted to tell the bloke who shouted that three or four times to give it a go just to see him get his finger bitten off, but I don't think that would have helped anyone really.

Luckily an ambulance coming out of UCH just happened by after a minute or two (before the lady who was the only other person who did anything useful and called 999 even managed to get through) and took over.

I get what serious gaylord is saying about doing that for a living though - for a while I flirted with the idea of quitting my job and becoming a paramedic because, well you know, but I realised there's no way I could cope with dealing with what they have to deal with day after day.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

not keen on white women

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ivermectin's probably able to get most of those out of your tract if the covid weirdos have left any of it behind.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah, the classic British monsters; banshees, leprechauns, wraiths, brown-men,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w5WOb8jPLQ&t=95s

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

happyhippy posted:

I'm a Dick a Tuesday.

I would like to be a dick-a-tuesday but I am currently a Jack-in-the-wad.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm scared to look up what shag-foals are.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The death-hearse implies the existence of a life-hearse, which I think is an ambulance.

Also I don't think cowes are supernatural.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

mods please rename me melch-dick tia

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Communist Thoughts posted:

I did that once - guy looked like a 'gentleman of the road', blood pouring out of his head - but he didn't smell of booze. First thing 999 asked me was 'is he drunk'. I said I don't know, and whether he is or not, there's blood pouring out of his head.

Another time, I found a guy unconscious on the pavement in Tottenham Court Road and called an ambulance. (I actually thought he was dead but after 15 minutes he twitched a bit). Quite a few people told me to 'leave it' and 'don't get involved luv' but I waited til they came anyway. (It was about midnight.)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I was a pixie when I was in the brownies. Or was it an imp. I might have been both as my parents kept moving.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Mum-poker :smug:

Edit: Not my own of course...

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

And so it begins. Suggested to me by FB:
I don't know what is under the crocheted head cover.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I see they mis-spelt gingers, the true unnatural beings.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That's slenderman.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm a hob-thrush, cuz that's what I give all the ladies. :heysexy:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

My plan if I won the lottery, which would be weird given that i have never played it and don't intend to start, was just to give it to everyone I know (except the people I know who already have enough money) and then just find random people to give it to until have like, i dunno a few hundred thousand or something left which would keep me going for the rest of my life probably.

For everyone who wants to do this: Check your local tax laws first. Over here, gifts over a certain limit are taxable, even between friends. Would be funny if one dumbass among your friends can't keep their mouth shut and suddenly you're all tax evaders and face hefty fines and prison sentences. :v:

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

*sounds the last post*

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

OwlFancier posted:

The death-hearse implies the existence of a life-hearse, which I think is an ambulance.

Also I don't think cowes are supernatural.

Automotive fun facts: Early motorized hearses were just ambulances painted black. And the first purpose-built motorized hearse was just an ostensibly horse-drawn cart tied to the front end of a bus.

The first specifically petrol-driven ambulance, the Palliser Ambulance, only had 3 wheels.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

And the first purpose-built motorized hearse was just an ostensibly horse-drawn cart tied to the front end of a bus.

Took me a while to realise you meant "to the rear of the front end of a bus" and was envisioning some sort of terrible bus<cart<partially run over horse arrangement.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I mean, I can't imagine it'd move particularly quickly, but if the horse wasn't paying attention...

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Libluini posted:

For everyone who wants to do this: Check your local tax laws first. Over here, gifts over a certain limit are taxable, even between friends. Would be funny if one dumbass among your friends can't keep their mouth shut and suddenly you're all tax evaders and face hefty fines and prison sentences. :v:

A thing about lottery wins and tax (UK). I think it's this year or last year but I'm not sure.

https://www.amoneythinghappened.com/post/if-i-win-the-lottery-how-much-can-i-give-to-my-family

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Can't see puttypickers on there, which prompted me to google it and all I could find was a post on reddit from someone saying 'A scottish friend told me about this but I can't find anything' and a single reply saying they also couldn't find anything.

Getting some serious Mandala Effect vibes because I'm sure I've googled them in the past when on a previous nostalgia/folklore binge and found something.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

OwlFancier posted:

Took me a while to realise you meant "to the rear of the front end of a bus" and was envisioning some sort of terrible bus<cart<partially run over horse arrangement.

Despite "putting the cart before the horse" being utterly synonymous with "stupid dumb idiot idea for big idiots", I'm sure some brain genius tried to invent the horse-pushed cart at some point.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Isomermaid posted:

*sounds the last post*

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/pouch_captain/status/1446958554506747910?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A shame really that they can't call upon their special k correspondant.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Libluini posted:

Gifts in the UK are not, unless you die up to 7 years later, then the recipient gets charged inheritance tax. Not an issue unless you give people more than 300k though.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1446940627011313664

I know I mentioned it on the Discord (rip) a few times in the past, but I'm not sure I mentioned in here.

My upstairs, mostly blind 90+ year old neighbour voted for Brexit, because in her own words "I'm fed up trying to understand all those funny foreign accents. I'd rather be seen by British doctors and nurses."

loving lol.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am also fed up of trying to understand funny foreign accents but because I live in the UK that refers to anybody more than about five miles from where I live.

You go into north yorkshire and they might as well be from the moon.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

CW: Daily Mail.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1446951209466798081?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

9/11 was just an ingenious plot to incentivise WFH. bin Laden was always 10 steps ahead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

My wife has a very neutral and flat American accent that is ludicrously easy to understand. People are constantly handing the phone to colleagues when she makes calls and saying things loudly like "I can't understand 'er, she's forrin'!"

I do enjoy going shopping with her and watching her go deer in the headlights at people with incredibly strong Yorkshire accents in the same way as when someone speaks rapid German or Spanish at you when you just started learning it.

Old people complaining about accents is all bullshit dog whistling.