Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

I just "found" the dlc. This is the greatest game ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Goodguy3 posted:

Thank you for the Echoes of the Eye hints. My takeaways are:

There's the one that shows someone dying but still ending up in the dream vr world, so what happens if I singe my toe to death in a green fire with an artifact?

And

I guess at some point the ability to set the artifact down somewhere in the dream world then walk off will be useful? I looked all over the place where you learn about it but only "found" the broken password tablet

No other hints are necessary at the moment, I think?! I hope so, at least.

Why ask when you can attempt? :P

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Bug Squash posted:

For some reason I thought we were talking about the photos in the radio tower, sorry
Ah, no, sorry, the views of the solar system you find on the slides in the Stranger.

I took a screenshot of Giant's Deep:

I'm pretty sure that's not the Quantum Moon. It's not drawn with an atmosphere like Giant's Deep, and it's always drawn in this orbit.

Also the other planets, because they were a little different as well.

Hourglass Twins:

Ash Twin seems to have water on its surface.

Timber Hearth:

Looks about the same, but with no visible craters. I guess the Attlerock was always shaped like that.

Brittle Hollow:

No glacier on the pole. It's also not falling apart, but I assume that's meant to be a new development in the game world.

Dark Bramble:

That might be more than a little different.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Shwoo posted:

Dark Bramble:

That might be more than a little different.

It used to be an ocean planet before the bramble destroyed it and sent the jellyfish to Giant's Deep. This is 200,000 years in the past, so it hadn't grown that far yet.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I'm guessing I can't get past everyone in the room with the fireplace? And that I need to do it when both the fire is out and the owls are washed away.

Also, I turned on reduced frights just to see what it was like and it was literally no different, or maybe the audio was different? But visually, everything was exactly the same.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

bop bop perano posted:

Also, I turned on reduced frights just to see what it was like and it was literally no different, or maybe the audio was different? But visually, everything was exactly the same.

Yeah, hence my earlier posts on it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

bop bop perano posted:

I'm guessing I can't get past everyone in the room with the fireplace? And that I need to do it when both the fire is out and the owls are washed away.

It makes the owls move slower so they're way easier to avoid.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

bop bop perano posted:

If you were looking for confirmation, the answer is yes.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

When the DLC came out, it seemed a lot of people were disappointed. I'm trying not to spoil myself in case I ever play it, but it seems people are less negative now but not really raving about it? Are these stealth sections that I've been reading snippets about a large part of the DLC? Is the atmosphere similar to base game in that you explore weird locations and figure stuff out or is it going for a spooky (aka boring) vibe?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

When the DLC came out, it seemed a lot of people were disappointed. I'm trying not to spoil myself in case I ever play it, but it seems people are less negative now but not really raving about it? Are these stealth sections that I've been reading snippets about a large part of the DLC? Is the atmosphere similar to base game in that you explore weird locations and figure stuff out or is it going for a spooky (aka boring) vibe?

the stealth sections are relatively brief but can be very frustrating if you don’t know any of the several workarounds or that the ‘reduce frights’ option reduces their difficulty. the non-spooky parts outnumber the spooky bits.

overall I’d say the DLC occasionally hits the same heights as the base game (the ending especially made me emotional) but it doubles down on a lot of the frustrations of the base game as well

would definitely recommend it still because there’s really not much else like it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The stealth sections are something you really only have to do once in each area that you have to do it. Going into it further than that would be spoilers, but it's not a huge part of the DLC. It's mostly like the original game where you are exploring and looking for information. I think a lot of the disappointment is the stealth sections, and it was for me at least. Once I got past it, a bunch of cool stuff happened and I started enjoying it again. I think the concept of what happens is really cool, but the implementation leaves a lot to be desired. I think the DLC overall is pretty great. It's not possible to make it be the same greatness as the original game, but still very much worth playing.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

personally I thought the dlc was phenomenal and the rate of brain exploding moments came insanely rapidly and hard in it. It may be recency bias but I actually think the revelations and realization moments in the DLC may have been even stronger than the slow drip feed burn of the main game, mainly because of the entire notion of 'wait, are they really doing That Idea SOMEHOW in Outer Wilds? Holy poo poo, they are.' It also added additional facets to the reading of the ending that I believe is a worthwhile discussion to be had in how things are recontextualized (or actually not).

It was also a p sizeable adventure. I basically launched straight into the DLC and it took me about 15 hours to complete compared to around 18 hours to beat the original game on release. I will concede and make the concession that a couple of those hours could have been puzzling over some of those frustrating mechanics, but I already mentioned before that I'm always of the opinion that a healthy dose of frustration leads to a better cathartic triumph moment at the end so i didn't mind it much. I could definitely see them revising a good bit of the mechanics a bit to make certain things more clear, but there's nothing that I'd say would dissuade me from recommending it wholeheartedly.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I liked the DLC just as much as the base game, I just feel like the way it was presented with the "Reduced Frights" option robbed me of some enjoyment I could have had with it. It didn't sell itself well

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I very much enjoyed it, as did a lot of other posters. It’s somewhat different in execution compared to the base game but has a very similar pattern of learning things to open new routes to learn more things. It’s spookier, in general, but most of the game takes place in a not-spooky place. The stealth sections are irritating but are a small portion of the overall experience.

I’d put it as a 9/10. I’ve been telling all of my friends to get it and play it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its pretty clear that I'm in the minority at this point, but I feel only slightly less negatively about it now than I did a week ago. Only slightly in that, I was pretty soured on Outer Wilds in general after playing the DLC, and now I'm able to separate them in my mind and am back to appreciating the base game for how great it is. I just don't see a whole lot about what I liked about this game, present in the DLC.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Outer Wilds is my "if you could take a pill to forget everything you know about a game other than you want to play it" choice and the DLC only solidified that.

God, what I'd give for a bottle of that pill...

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I really liked the DLC, and feel like the whole part about a horror section and frightening aspects is way oversold. Especially once you realize what's going on.

I absolutely love the new location introduced, as it's for me one of my all-time favorite sci-fi concepts and seeing it lovingly rendered here and made explorable is truly the sort of gift I could not ask for. And I loved the atmosphere overall, I like how it kept itself within the same thematic vein of tempered yet hopeful sci-fi. And I love how much of a different adventure it is from the base game. So all in all i'm v. happy with it and it made me feel good feels. Recommend

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Right, great, I'll add it to my wishlist and pay it asap then. :) I was worried they could keep the same quality considering how long the base game was refined. Homeless snail, thanks for your thoughts too, I realize there is risk it will not live up to my expectations and will lower them accordingly.

One more question, is the DLC fully integrated so that you play the same basic loop as before, just with different content?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

One more question, is the DLC fully integrated so that you play the same basic loop as before, just with different content?
Yeah, the first puzzle in fact is figuring out where even the DLC is, and its a good puzzle. Also make sure you use your existing save file, you will regret starting fresh.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Scholtz posted:

Outer Wilds is my "if you could take a pill to forget everything you know about a game other than you want to play it" choice and the DLC only solidified that.

God, what I'd give for a bottle of that pill...

Find a mental hospital that does electroshock. You can lose months it's great

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

It's in the same basic loop, but 99% of the actual DLC content is in a specific new, very large location you get pointed towards.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if they patch the sections everyone complains about in some way. Probably won't be a huge refactor or anything, but they've been willing to sand edges off of other things considered "too hard" before and I don't see why this would be any different.

If they fix it in a way where I'd find those sections enjoyable I'd give the DLC a 10, easy. With them I give it a 7. It's still pretty dang good but I almost wanted to quit at times.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Shwoo posted:

What's up with that moon you see around Giant's Deep on some of the slides? At first I thought it was the Quantum Moon, but it's always around Giant's Deep, and it's shown orbiting around the equator, not the poles like the Quantum Moon does. Are they implying that Dark Bramble blew up Giant's Deep's entire moon? Giant's Deep explicitly doesn't have a moon by the time the Nomai are around. It's mentioned as a factor when they're deciding where to build the Orbital Probe Cannon.

Any mention of the Quantum Moon or its behaviour is conspicuously missing from the Strangers' recordings. My theory is that the Quantum Moon was originally a conventional natural satellite of Giant's Deep, and it didn't actually become quantum until sometime after the Strangers went into hiding. But before the Nomai showed up. Maybe the brief burst of signal from the Eye is what caused the moon to become quantum, or maybe the arrival/observation of the Nomai?

EDIT: Alternatively, because the Stranger has its screen turned on at all times, maybe the Strangers never actually stopped observing the Quantum Moon, which kept it locked at Giant's Deep from their arrival in the system until they went into hiding?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I always thought that the Quantum moon was originally part of the planet at the Eye until it broke off for some reason. The big crater at the south pole below the vortex was surely formed when it broke off.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Does the base game ever explain why chunks of the quantum matter on the eye end up scattered all over the place? It'd be interesting if the intent was that something about the act of sealing the eye off+briefly unsealing it was what caused chunks of it to go flying and a sufficiently large chunk being on Giant's Deep moon is what "turned" it into the quantum moon instead of it being the eye's moon in the first place

either that or maybe the eye was sentient all along and started throwing bits of itself at the strangers for being assholes and it just has really bad aim :tinfoil:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Probably just meteors bumping around in space.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Does the base game ever explain why chunks of the quantum matter on the eye end up scattered all over the place? It'd be interesting if the intent was that something about the act of sealing the eye off+briefly unsealing it was what caused chunks of it to go flying and a sufficiently large chunk being on Giant's Deep moon is what "turned" it into the quantum moon instead of it being the eye's moon in the first place

either that or maybe the eye was sentient all along and started throwing bits of itself at the strangers for being assholes and it just has really bad aim :tinfoil:

That will be explored in the second DLC where a fourth race shows up and breaks the eye trying to stop it and creating the quantum moon instead.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I loved the DLC but also disliked parts of it. At its height, I think it actually managed to be better than the base game - the first of the two new locations and its introduction is just hands down better than anything in the base game. But the second location is... worse. Significantly worse.

So mixed reviews from me, higher highs but lower lows and a lot less... I did miss the sense of seeking understanding, and it mostly getting replaced with a hunt for mechanics. At least thats what it felt like.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I can't believe I have to clip through a loading zone. That rules.

I've gathered that the error reports are how i get into the vault in the virtual reality bit. I've already done the clip, and I've explored a bit beyond my lanterns range, though i haven't tried to drop it anywhere except the designated lantern platforms in the forbidden archives. If I'm reading the slides right, I have to get the last one by dying. I guess I can try being there when the sun explodes?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Quantum Moon is the Eye's moon, not Giant's Deep. It was already quantum before it arrived at our solar system. Unless the Nomai were wrong, I guess, that's the thing about an unreliable narrator.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I've gotten exactly two 5 symbol codes and neither of them work on the locks in the vaults area. I feel like I'm missing some.

EDIT: nevermind i think i got it

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

dying did not work. Got the clipping one and the invisible bridge one, not sure where to go from here

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Nihilarian posted:

I've gotten exactly two 5 symbol codes and neither of them work on the locks in the vaults area. I feel like I'm missing some.

EDIT: nevermind i think i got it

You're absolutely correct. They don't work.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nihilarian posted:

dying did not work. Got the clipping one and the invisible bridge one, not sure where to go from here

What do you mean it didn't work?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nihilarian posted:

there are other ways to die than the supernova

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

What do you mean it didn't work?
i sat down at the fire with my artifact and dozed off and let it run down. Eventually it kicked me out into vr world, i thought "it worked!", took 2 steps and got booted back to the start of the cycle

haveblue posted:

there are other ways to die than the supernova
ah, i think i know now, thanks for the hint

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

To be clear, you can't even die from the supernova, on the stranger

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Finally managed to finish Echoes of the eye. The thing that I was missing? (BIG Spoiler)

You can set down your artifact in the dream world by looking straight down, it doesn't have to be in one of the pedestals, and that's how you're able to Ghost Walk anywhere to get at one of the locks. Since everywhere else, you can put things down several feet in front of you, I just assumed you could not put the artifact down at all unless it was in a specific designated spot.

That said, in hindsight, the slide reel DOES show the OwlDeerPerson set their lantern down at their feet and start walking, so I guess that's on me. Still kind of annoyed, though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Goodguy3 posted:

Finally managed to finish Echoes of the eye. The thing that I was missing? (BIG Spoiler)

You can set down your artifact in the dream world by looking straight down, it doesn't have to be in one of the pedestals, and that's how you're able to Ghost Walk anywhere to get at one of the locks. Since everywhere else, you can put things down several feet in front of you, I just assumed you could not put the artifact down at all unless it was in a specific designated spot.

That said, in hindsight, the slide reel DOES show the OwlDeerPerson set their lantern down at their feet and start walking, so I guess that's on me. Still kind of annoyed, though.

This might have been tuned by the devs to prevent people finding out about the trick earlier than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

Cojawfee posted:

This might have been tuned by the devs to prevent people finding out about the trick earlier than usual.

That's the thought I had too but like...so what if you discovered that sooner? I stumbled onto the dream world by complete accident! I figure stumbling onto things by accident is part of the fun!