Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
something about grappling just breaks my brain where I keep automatically releasing ZR instead of Y, I don't know if it's made better or worse by the fact that there's very little actual required grapple swinging going on unless you choose to backtrack before getting more mobility options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

its kind of a pain in the rear end to get around collecting things at the end of the game thanks to their habit of permanently closing passageways behind you, and the teleports aren't really distributed in a way that makes any sense

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

something about grappling just breaks my brain where I keep automatically releasing ZR instead of Y, I don't know if it's made better or worse by the fact that there's very little actual required grapple swinging going on unless you choose to backtrack before getting more mobility options

Especially after you've used L to aim more precisely and now you're holding three buttons and need to think about which ones to let go, lol

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Twelve by Pies posted:

So after playing around with the grapple beam a bit I'm not sure where to go, there don't seem to be any grapple beam doors or boxes that'll take me to a new area. Don't really need a hint yet, I'll bumble around for a while more, but as I've been doing so

This missile expansion has been driving me insane. How the hell do you get this?

it's something you get rather late in the game

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Fusion had more stringent plot-related locking and significant area changes, wheras removing some of the backtrack-locking stuff here in the forms of "a bit of rubble", "a couple of plants", and "some doors that have the power turned off because of a switch" would probably solve a large number of the traversal issues

I still strongly suspect people will want to work on it just because the movement/physics is :discourse: good
i think you underestimate how hard it is to do things like changing level geometry in order to facilitate a randomizer

most randomizers build up a graph based on what items can be accessed where and then shuffle the item placements. trying to change some of the backtracking logic stuff in dread is like asking the someone to make new rooms in super metroid for the purpose of the randomizer. that's much harder and something the prime randomizers have only recently come up with.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

There should be an inviting-looking toothy grin shortly outside and to the left of where you get the morph ball

It's a hot area, don't have the varia suit

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Was going to reply to this earlier and got distracted, sorry-- trying to avoid spoilers but have you found and completed the area Elun yet? If you have, then all you need to do is kill the EMMI in Ghavoran, and if not then you'll want to loop back around towards the bottom right of Ghavoran to find the transport there

...Okay I'm REALLY missing a step then. The last power-ups I got were the Grapple Beam and the Radar.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

lets hang out posted:

its kind of a pain in the rear end to get around collecting things at the end of the game thanks to their habit of permanently closing passageways behind you, and the teleports aren't really distributed in a way that makes any sense

The teleports aren’t really fast travel they are more designed points so you can keep progressing

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Calaveron posted:

It's a hot area, don't have the varia suit

Second door above the hot door

PlasticAutomaton posted:

...Okay I'm REALLY missing a step then. The last power-ups I got were the Grapple Beam and the Radar.

I'm going to have to get back to you because it sounds like you found the radar a bit earlier than was intended by the game tbh, I'm in the middle of a replay and my broken brain is demanding that grapple beam comes before kraid for the bombs for the quickkill so I know that ain't fuckin right

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 9, 2021

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

That was a fantastic final boss.

I am a little disappointed with my time. I got lost on two points where I really shouldn't have , but I'll do better next run.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 10, 2021

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Since I don’t have the money to buy this I decided to replay Super instead. It’s been probably ten years since I played it and I barely remember half of it. Just got the speed booster and am thoroughly enjoying it. Probably because I haven’t had to wall jump at all.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Ah okay, good to know I need a new item, I thought I was going to have to do some crazy pixel perfect shinespark stuff. By the way, thanks to whoever said that you keep speed boost if you wall jump and slide! Knowing that means I was able to grab the Missle+ tank in Dairon that requires you to do multiple wall jumps and a slide, pulling that off felt so incredibly satisfying. I thought I had to wait until I could open the green doors for that one.

It didn't take me too long to figure out where to go from the grapple beam, I quit right after the Chozo Robot fight so I forgot that bird boy said "I will open a path for you." It doesn't get marked on your map so unless you go there right away it's easy to forget that's where you're supposed to go. Which I did. :v: Kinda wish there was an icon there or something but I guess I could've placed a marker there myself. I'll have to remember that in case this sort of thing happens again.

I also just fought the underwater boss, I actually beat it on my third try, it hit like a truck but thanks to a goon saying that on the first boss you can counter the tail whip after sliding through, I figured that there'd be a similar mechanic in this fight, and noticed the tentacle flash right after you shoot the eye a few times that lets you counter and get in a bunch more missile shots. But I can imagine that if someone didn't notice that it would definitely be a way harder fight.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Final boss was really good, probably my favorite Metroid series boss. I also really liked the art design in some of the areas, especially the underwater aquarium one. Good stuff.

no Ridley tho :reject:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

I think the game is fairly responsive in terms of "Samus does things in reponse to your lightest input," but they feel a bit clunky in that they frequently involve using more buttons than is comfortable for many people.

Trying to swing from one grapple point and grab the next, for example, involves holding down way more buttons than it really should.

I just got the grapple beam and I think I have to agree with it. The game plays really nice but some of the combinations you need to do to do stuff kinda blow imo.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Lovin everything about the game. Got up to a story dump and the new elite grunt guys the just introduced are a pain in the loving rear end!!!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
56% completion. What a great last boss, and a drat good videogame. Mercury Steam has earned my confidence - give them the go to remake Super.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

No remake of Super will live up to anyone's expectations. They should go with their original vision and remake Fusion though. That would be neat.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Really feels like they wanted to do one more zone. You get the last upgrade and just have nothing to do with it

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

SettingSun posted:

No remake of Super will live up to anyone's expectations. They should go with their original vision and remake Fusion though. That would be neat.

The only expectations I want for a Super remake is it have the snappier movement of future titles and less aged controls. I also admittedly don't have much nostalgia for Super as I played the GBA/Prime games first and overall find them all to be superior experiences.

Granted, a remake of Fusion would also be awesome. I'm just confident that Mercury Steam could do Super's legacy justice.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Yeah I dunno if Super really needs a remake.
Well, not having Select be an Item Toggle would be nice but that's about it

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Does the final boss require some new gimmick to do damage after the first counter cutscene? He's no-selling all of my attacks (as he already did) but the shield doesn't look like it's changing color like it did before.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Does the final boss require some new gimmick to do damage after the first counter cutscene? He's no-selling all of my attacks (as he already did) but the shield doesn't look like it's changing color like it did before.

when he starts taunting you, do a dashing melee attack to trigger another counter cutscene. It seems like shooting him with enough missiles with force him to taunt you as well

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bruceski posted:

You have to parry him to open him up. If he taunts you and then stands there menacingly, run up to him and be ready to parry. You can also parry his dash attack where he covers the entire floor.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tbh Fusion, Super and Zero Mission are all fine as they are and don't need remaking - and we have AM2R so there's no need to redo Samus Returns on a real console. I'd much rather the series continue than remake the old ones.

Just port them all onto Switch.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bruceski posted:

Once the shield goes yellow he's immune to all damage until you counter him into the next phase, also once he's yellow he'll make a "come here" taunt every once in awhile that you can dash-counter into to force the issue

TaurusOxford posted:

You can also parry his dash attack where he covers the entire floor.

You don't even have to "parry" that per se-- as long as you take no damage from it by crouching or balling it counts as a "parry" and triggers the counter cutscene

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
To add to that, you have to melee to start the sequence and then again as it starts. You can shoot missiles during the cutscene. You have to do it twice to do enough damage.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I thought Super was cumbersome in like 2007, I can’t imagine it feels good in 2021.

I also am someone started the series with Fusion though so that might be part of it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

stev posted:

Tbh Fusion, Super and Zero Mission are all fine as they are and don't need remaking - and we have AM2R so there's no need to redo Samus Returns on a real console. I'd much rather the series continue than remake the old ones.

Just port them all onto Switch.

I mean the amount of people who play fan games are pretty small

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I personally don't have a problem with the controls, but I feel like this game could've definitely benefitted from multiple control schemes.
It's much better than Samus Returns solely because there's more buttons and no obligation to use a touch screen.

KidDynamite posted:

beat the game in 9:04 and 43% clear. Had a great time with it, but I felt the bosses were a little overtuned and that samus never got to feel powerful to me. Which is lame for a game where you find stuff to make you powerful. reminded me of fusion and that's my favorite Metroid. Good game A+ hope they pump another one out in like 3-4 years.
hahahhahaahaaa

(it'll never happen, but it would be nice to see a remaster of fusion or super as well. or maybe a port of samus returns with reconfigured controls. I know the switch is already primarily a port machine, but I'm fine with that TBH)

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Isn't Prime 4 coming soon? I remember a year ago or so they were hiring boss designers.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why is Kraid so hard? He's supposed to be a fat little chonker who wiggles his fingers threateningly at you and then dies!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Blaziken386 posted:

I personally don't have a problem with the controls, but I feel like this game could've definitely benefitted from multiple control schemes.
It's much better than Samus Returns solely because there's more buttons and no obligation to use a touch screen.

hahahhahaahaaa

(it'll never happen, but it would be nice to see a remaster of fusion or super as well. or maybe a port of samus returns with reconfigured controls. I know the switch is already primarily a port machine, but I'm fine with that TBH)

I mean it's only been 4 years since samus returns, and that's including a cross-platform conversion of the engine, so....maybe?

yes I know it's metroid and this is all we get this decade

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Spermando posted:

Isn't Prime 4 coming soon? I remember a year ago or so they were hiring boss designers.

It's almost 3 years since they restarted development so... maybe 1-2 more?

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the amount of people who play fan games are pretty small

Then Nintendo should bite the bullet and accept AM2R with open arms. :colbert: It'd be much easier to port than Samus Returns anyway.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Yeah I dunno if Super really needs a remake.
Well, not having Select be an Item Toggle would be nice but that's about it

I always put the item toggle on the X button and used Select for cancel, it just feels better to swap with the same hand you're shooting with, whereas canceling is usually done when you're not fighting anything so taking your thumb off the d pad isn't as big a deal.

Spermando posted:

Yes, Soon™

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
I doubt they will do a remake next, they are probably figuring out what 6 is gonna be

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Okay at this point I feel dumb like I've had to miss something really obvious. Goons, I really need direction.

Current Loadout:

Wide/Diffusion/Grapple Beams
Missiles
Phantom Cloak/Flash Shift/Pulse Radar
Varia Suit
Morph Ball
Spider Magnet/Speed Booster

Been scouring the map from top to bottom and I'm out of clues. Cold areas, double jump required stuff, and those weird red plants block every single point of access I have left and I'm out of options. I have to have missed SOMETHING. Do you need to the double jump to get into the EMMI zone in Ferenia right after the elevator? Three's a Flash Shift shutter with no level ground to stand on in front of it just past the grapple puzzle and I can't clear it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Okay at this point I feel dumb like I've had to miss something really obvious. Goons, I really need direction.

Looks like you need to head to Ghavoran and get your Super Missiles

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Im at item cleanup phase, and jeeze some of these speed booster puzzles kick my rear end.

Also salty gamer hot take: Some of these bosses do way too much damage. Game is solid for the most part. Excited to see speed runs.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Oxyclean posted:

Excited to see speed runs.

Speedruns are already underway - there's already a sub - 2 hour any% run from yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Also salty gamer hot take: Some of these bosses do way too much damage.

Yeah I can't imagine how hard mode is, I went into the underwater boss with 6 energy tanks and it was able to kill me in like four or five hits.