Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah at the end of the day the best defense is a good offense. Strike first. Strike hard. No Mercy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The Lone Badger posted:

Falling sun. Limbless torso people can't hurt you.

yeah

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
The art of punching is long but rewarding when the limbs start flying off.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Schwza posted:

The art of punching is long but rewarding when the limbs start flying off.

Full martial arts might be the most powerful combat style in the game, but it's pretty awful for solo play. In an unmodded game you'll spend the majority of your time in long dodge animations, back to back. Every so often you'll do a cool jump kick and delimb like 5 dudes at once, but then its right back to chain dodging.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

The Lone Badger posted:

Falling sun. Dead people can't hurt you.

You're probably right, but I like watching my guy block like mad. Sabers are fun because they're quick and my dude will alternate blocks with attacks. Polearms seem even faster, so far.

EDIT: Is each weapon as defensive as the others? Do they all block the same amount? I notice certain slow firing weapons will have a moment that they're vulnerable after they attack and I'm not sure that's true of faster weapons.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 10, 2021

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The most important fact is you can only block hits meant for you. Any big weapon or animal hitting in. An aoe can't be blocked if you're not the primary target of the attack

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

The most important fact is you can only block hits meant for you. Any big weapon or animal hitting in. An aoe can't be blocked if you're not the primary target of the attack

Funny enough, that is probably one of the only real advantages of a solo run. Every hit is meant for you.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Got sucked into the game after bouncing off of it. Chose the enslaved start. Three members in the crew (I think I managed to get someone to escape to the point of wanting to join the crew, only for them to get recaptured), and I've managed to get one of them to escape. They're sleeping in the Lone Shack up north while I figure out how to get the rest of the fam out. Game good.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
The slave start is basically that bit from the beginning of Conan where Arnie becomes a massive hulk on the wheel. I love that it's somehow considered to be one of the 'hard' starts lol

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

If you’re a new player escaping without tons of grinding is near impossible. It would be a boring way to get introduced to the game if you knew nothing about mechanics.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

If you’re a new player escaping without tons of grinding is near impossible. It would be a boring way to get introduced to the game if you knew nothing about mechanics.

I still haven't successfully done a slave start, even with full knowledge of the grindability mechanics.

I just really don't like seeing the hunger bar so low for so long. It hurts as bad as the stat debuff on my dude that barely has 4 athletics. I also get spooked about modding str gains on mining, something about that kinda power being available to the AI sets my mind on a fire of unintended consequences.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You can easily sneak up the mountain at night up to an area the guards never go and do whatever until you need food.

I generally spend nights getting stealth up and looking for food to stash and then dump if up the hill. At that point you can just pick up any co conspirators you might have and run back and forth to build up strength and athletics

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The crew lost String after the Holy guards took one of their sparring sessions too seriously and decided not to fix her head. However, Lungrot and Slink escaped and have recovered at World's End. There's a decently close iron ore vein, so if they save up, they could buy a house and start constructin'. Maybe eventually they'll actually be able to use their stinkin' weapons.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 8, 2021

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Just had a fantastic bit of gameing. Had a decent team off exploring the east for books and science stuff and we pssively find an outpost. Cool, I think, we own't have to go all the way to the location I found on a map. I head on over, see it from a distance, great, it's one of those big three story buildings, there'll be good poo poo here. Halfway there, I realize there's a bit of property for sale, one of six weird little buildings to a side. Coming off of just raiding a secret drug farm, I figure I'd buy it for a laugh, and keep heading in.

It is at this point that I realize I have stumbled upon the HQ of the Skeleton Bandits. I've skirmished with a few off and on, and their armor makes them a little tough compared to my light-for-stealth crew, but nothing to worry about. There's around maybe sixty of them, compared to maybe 15 of my crew. I quickly realize that we are losing badly, and am forced to retreat into the silly little house, partially because it has begun to acid rain. I am forced to juggle both the game's AI with fighters insisting that they want to fight outside or on the exposed roof, trying to bring in KO'd units when I can, and trying to guess how many units I can set to sneak and medic to keep everyone else from dying. I've been trying to pick weapons off the knocked out to lower their scariness, but my units have only so many slots to carry things with and these sabers are big.

It is at this point that I realize that I have purchased this place. That means I can build on it. I've got just enough to scrape up a basic crossbow on the first floor to shoot down, and I devote my best, Lungrot, to doing so, while I set the conscious units on the bottom floor to Hold and Block to extend their time alive. It is with some surprise I realize there is a skeleton bandit helping me build! Presumably, since this is all Skeleton Bandit land, one's gone wonky and taken "help build" over "kill intruders." I allow him to do this for some time before realizing he may man the turret and try to shoot me, so I ko him and finish it. Okay. Great. That's done. Since I'm on a building kick, I use a piece of building material to make a storage chest, in a bid to dump all of the extra weapons off the bandits. This also works, but the chest is quickly filled and I'm frankly not sure if they can't grab them out on wakeup.

It is at this point that I remember that it is acid raining, my top floor is exposed to it, and I have two skeletons. I set them to start carrying wounded bandits upstairs to set them down and burn in the acid rain, or at least getting wounded to the point of lowering their efficiency. This is generally considered a dick move, but hey, this is Kenshi. All the while I'm trying to keep my own units from glitching out of the building or running to the top floor (two things they love to do). It's not looking good, given the benefit of armor and numbers on the bandits side. However, slowly, I begin to push them back, dumping their armor too, right on the floor, which also makes it hard to tell where bodies end and perfectly set armor pieces begin.

It is at this point I remember that doors can be locked. This starts the beginning of the uptick for team Bogart. With the flow of bandits slowing to a crawl, and the materials for another crossbow scrounged up, I figure I must have brought the entire enemy force out, so I may as well send a runner to loot the place. Bear in mind I'm still in the outskirts of these weird barracks. I am wrong! Another twenty bandits spill out, and I'm forced to kite them with my ninja and two basic (that is to say, low damage) crossbows. This is silly more than scary once I get the ninja bandaged up (I'd looked away for that crucial moment to ensure I had a friendly set to Engineer to always repair the door). Eventually, there's a big pile of bandits moaning and bleeding in front of my new house, and I figure surely now is the time to storm the base. I'm right. There's only one guy left, the big skeleton bandit Elder. At first I wanted to talk with him since I saw I could, but apparently massacring the entire barracks made me an "enemy" to them. So I ran away and sucker punched him instead. Find an AI Core on him, think, sick, and I can drag him back to base to recruit him, only to realize that I guess he was using that Core and have indeed killed him.

This is the only notable loot I find in the whole base.

Kenshi owns.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 1, 2021

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i know this thread isn't super active but i picked the game up in the holiday sale and have been slowly trying to figure out the game systems. i learned dwarf fortress so i can probably handle this. my current task is internalizing the lesson of 'get the poo poo beat out of you multiple times to become strong' which runs counter to most videogame advice.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

i know this thread isn't super active but i picked the game up in the holiday sale and have been slowly trying to figure out the game systems. i learned dwarf fortress so i can probably handle this. my current task is internalizing the lesson of 'get the poo poo beat out of you multiple times to become strong' which runs counter to most videogame advice.

Always get up to fight (or run) when you're playing dead unless you're absolutely sure you can't survive it. Even at high toughness levels that's usually an entire level or two worth of toughness XP.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i am gathering that the anthem of kenshi is tubthumping by chumbawumba

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Start as a slave, get your rear end beat every day then sneak around at night. Tab out while you heal. Eventually break out when you can reliably knockout guards and steal things. End Prologue to Kenshi.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, I feel like the "solution" to kenshi is

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So it seems like the back of the napkin quick guide to kenshi is

1) start out training your first dude to be a ninja by stealthing around and stealing everything that isn't nailed down, then progressing to stealing from containers in shops and lockpicking

2) Do a grand tour of the map and hit all the major cities and grab a full team of recruits / the named recruits while your first guy is also stealing every blueprint from everywhere. Be sure to grab a couple of pack animals (i like wild bulls from the nomad village) to carry all the loot you're stealing and sell it off in the next town and loot up again and move on.

3) set up in squin and mine and mine and mine and craft basic armor until your guys are all STRONK and have good baseline production. Have everybody stealth the whole time so they also all crank up their stealth stats.

4) take groups of your guys over to Skinner's Roam and let them get their noses pushed in repeatedly by the big swarms of hungry bandits to raise toughness

5) Build a basic base somewhere near squin in relative safety (border between border zone and swamps or vain are best spots) and set up full production of gear.

6) Divide your guys into about 10 frontliners, 10 crafters, and 10 or so backline. Police helmets / white plate jackets / samurai legplates and a mix of cleavers and polearms on your frontline and crafters, and iron hats / dustcoats / legplates and toothpick crossbows on your backline.

7) While your crafters stay home the rest of your group goes around the map hitting ancient workshops and other research sites and grabs the ancient research books and engineering research needed to build the good poo poo. EAch time you stop back at base fill up your pack animals with the crafted stuff then go sell it off again.

Obviously there are other strategies you can do (steamrolling the dust king with mercenaries etc) but this seems to consistenly work and not take much meta game knowledge or game experience

edit: 8) capture a bunch of skin bandits, strip them naked, and train against them to get your weapon skills over the intermediate high threshold; they don't need to eat and you can repair them in a repair bench, so perfect sparring partners

9) Once you have decent skills, capture King Gorillo, one of the few npc's with 110 in skills, and cage him. Have half your team spar with him while the other half sits back with bows to make him bleed out and pass out reliably. When he passes out bandage and cage him again, heal up, once everyone is healed, repeat until you have maxed out your various skills.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 2, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Step 3 is the only place I'd diverge. Stats tend to fix themselves between 2 and 4 so the baseless iron hauling production loop just feels kind of bad unless you have it set up while you watch TV or something. My favorite strength training loop is compatible directly with 4: find one corpse per team member and have them haul them around while you find bandits to beat you up. I like corpses for this because while you can overload your pack with iron and drop your pack in an emergency, you may forget where it is to come back in case it has more important things in it than iron, and also dropping a corpse in an emergency can sometimes distract things that eat you. Carrying a beak thing while swinging a strength weapon is :kiss:

Overall I find toughness most important in having fun because as long as you are on your feet, your other stats can grow quickly besides also, you know, maintaining control over your guys.

My early in town base recommendation is to focus on research, and maybe bandanas since you should have a good line on cloth from steps 1 and 2. You don't need your supply lines pre-established before an independent base especially if you just steal all your kit.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zedprime posted:

Step 3 is the only place I'd diverge. Stats tend to fix themselves between 2 and 4 so the baseless iron hauling production loop just feels kind of bad unless you have it set up while you watch TV or something.

Yeah, the real purpose of that section is twofold: 1) once you set up a little mining and crafting and carrying routine (and yeah, carry corpses or at least bodies also), you can reliably go AFK and come back a few hours later and everyone will have 80+ strength, which just helps, and 2) setting everyone to stealth crawl that whole time will take all your miners back and forth past the Squin guards repeatedly, which will get everyone's stealth scores up into the 70's also, and that also just helps with everything but especially traveling around the map with a minimum of hassle. TWo birds one stone and you can AFK it.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 2, 2022

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Kenshi is pretty cool in the way it goes out of its way to make losses recoverable, but it doesn't respect your time at all.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Thats what I love about Kenshi. If you get your rear end kicked you aren't hitting the reload button as long as you figure out one weird trick:

Have someone on standby to run in and drag people who are bleeding out off.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.youtube.com/user/s0u7th13f/videos

Shamanomaly has a bunch of great "getting X stat up" tutorials on his youtube channel too

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

genericnick posted:

Kenshi is pretty cool in the way it goes out of its way to make losses recoverable, but it doesn't respect your time at all.

Yeah, the last time I posted that little outline people gave me poo poo for it on the "playing the game wrong" theory but i have limited time to play games and so optimizing my advancement is always a thing.

To be fair I never did finish my Kong Sparring matches. I kept running into issues with the pathing and building in my little Greenbeach fort and doing the sparring matches took a lot of micro that got kindof annoying so I never finished out the process. Still I might go back to it at some point.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'll keep some of the minmax stuff in the back of my head, but at least for a bit i'll see how my natural adventures of the cool scorchlander lady and her shek 'gal pal', ruka, fare with their goal of being a thorn in the side of the luddite misogynist empire

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Kenshi is a spare time finger trap. The harder you try to min max the worse it wastes your time.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'll keep some of the minmax stuff in the back of my head, but at least for a bit i'll see how my natural adventures of the cool scorchlander lady and her shek 'gal pal', ruka, fare with their goal of being a thorn in the side of the luddite misogynist empire
This is an excellent way to play, do not get eaten friend.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
It's a lot of fun to see how many Beak things a character can take on before they lose their limbs. Just have arms and legs in the bags of your cleanup crew.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
In my experience, it is almost always "at most one" beak thing before delimbing. Scary.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

huh, I can't find the mod that adds mechanical beak things to the crater

absolute terrors

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Babe Magnet posted:

huh, I can't find the mod that adds mechanical beak things to the crater

absolute terrors

it's the "animals animals animals" (or similar) mod

yeah they suck rear end. you can recruit them though and they become a better kind of terror

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Yeah, the last time I posted that little outline people gave me poo poo for it on the "playing the game wrong" theory but i have limited time to play games and so optimizing my advancement is always a thing.

To be fair I never did finish my Kong Sparring matches. I kept running into issues with the pathing and building in my little Greenbeach fort and doing the sparring matches took a lot of micro that got kindof annoying so I never finished out the process. Still I might go back to it at some point.

lol whatever's fun for you man :shrug:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Flesh Forge posted:

lol whatever's fun for you man :shrug:

Part of the fun for me in games like this is figuring out what the optimal path is to get fully optimized characters with the minimum time invested. Once I figure it out though I don't always actually execute. it's the puzzle that's interesting not so much actually implementing the solution.

There were some other issues though also. I ended up finishing the Crab Tournament in between Kong Sparring matches and that felt enough like "winning" that it kinda gave me a good stopping point.

The next step would've been like trying to fight the big faction leaders and that's what the kong sparring was in theory training for -- there's nothing else that maxing out skills is really needed for -- but that would've broken the world state because it would've pissed off those factions, and I always hate taking those kinds of irrevocable steps.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 3, 2022

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Part of the fun for me in games like this is figuring out what the optimal path is to get fully optimized characters with the minimum time invested. Once I figure it out though I don't always actually execute. it's the puzzle that's interesting not so much actually implementing the solution.

There were some other issues though also. I ended up finishing the Crab Tournament in between Kong Sparring matches and that felt enough like "winning" that it kinda gave me a good stopping point.

The next step would've been like trying to fight the big faction leaders and that's what the kong sparring was in theory training for -- there's nothing else that maxing out skills is really needed for -- but that would've broken the world state because it would've pissed off those factions, and I always hate taking those kinds of irrevocable steps.

this is a very Games-brained way to play Kenshi. I'm guessing you also save all your consumables for the final boss and then don't use them

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I wasn't trying to tell you you were playing wrong, I was trying to tell you that stuff is super unfun and I guess you figured that out yourself anyway

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Flesh Forge posted:

I wasn't trying to tell you you were playing wrong, I was trying to tell you that stuff is super unfun and I guess you figured that out yourself anyway

I mean, I had fun as far as it went? I did everything in the game I wanted to do? I built two neat forts I liked!

(Both locations are great for crops but both have some pretty dire pathing issues that also got annoying to deal with after a while)

I got my guys trained up as far as I wanted, I got production lines for everything I wanted production for, I beat the Crab Tournament, etc.

I never really understand these "you must not be having fun!" posts. I mean, obviously I was, or I wouldn't have been playing? Different people have fun playing sandbox games different ways?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 3, 2022

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

i had a base in that second location but the crab people kept coming to gently caress my poo poo up over and over and then when i only had one person not in a coma, the skin bandits came along

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

a7m2 posted:

i had a base in that second location but the crab people kept coming to gently caress my poo poo up over and over and then when i only had one person not in a coma, the skin bandits came along

Yeah, the killbox and overlooking turret tower solved those problems (along with having high-skill guys with good gear etc; one reason I built there was to make it easy to capture a lot of skin bandits to train against). The real issue was pathing, building there hits the bug where if you save and reload suddenly half the fort is inaccessible and the people in those areas are trapped and you have to spam ctrl-shift-f11 over and over again until the pathing is repaired.

I wouldn't recommend it as a "first fort" site though, it's a site you move to with a trained up team and materials ready to go on pack animals so you can have a quick wall and defenses up ASAP.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 3, 2022

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
My favorite Kenshi game was strictly small squad for a long, long time. A human, a dog, a robot (Burn), and Beep.

Everyone except the dog rocked a bow as their primary weapon, and for the beginning of the game we operated out of one of the UC desert locations doing mostly Skimmer hunting and scavenging. We had a nice little tanner shop set up to convert leather into cash.

Don’t sleep on the power of bows, you can deal a lot of damage very quickly even with middling skill. You can also kite and micro most enemies. I used the dog to micro and distract enemies while the archers shot them down. You can also form up in a loose semicircle formation and have unengaged archers shoot at melee enemies trying to chase or fight your other archers, while the dog eats enemy archers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, good archers are massively powerful.

Some of my archers with old world bows would open up on a group of enemies, they'd outright one shot a bunch of them before they got even close. Had to make sure to put them away for when combat closed though, only takes one bolt to the back of your head to lose a good dude.