Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Why do you rank AJ above the entire original trilogy?

i think while there's defs some low lows like the third case's music video, its prolly the thematically most tightly written ace attorney, some p under-stated writing in the game, esp everything to do with the main villain. plus i just really like noir and weird eurocomic looking freaks like spark brushel.

prolly also just feel better about it after playing DD, which just kinda does the same general theme of "dark age of the law" that AJ does, but worse.

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I think my favourite understated thing about AJ is that all of Apollo's clients were guilty of something and you had to out that at some point or other to ultimtely prove them innocent of murder.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

And the judge lady was just a garbage-tier rival.

Just because she's not DeBeste doesn't mean she's awful. Justine owns :colbert:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like her extendable gavel

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think it served to set Apollo apart from Phoenix as a more forthright dude.

Lotus Aura posted:

Just because she's not DeBeste doesn't mean she's awful. Justine owns :colbert:

Well I disagree and I'll see you disbarred unless you can convince me otherwise.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Haven't played either Investigations yet, but:

TGAA>>Trials and Tribulations>Ace Attorney 1/Spirit of Justice(tied)>Apollo Justice>Justice for All>Dual Destinies

AJ is really thematically coherent and I like noir, but I ended up really not caring about anyone that much. Also, it was inherently hosed over by DD and SOJ ignoring everything in it, thus leaving us with things that were meant to be addressed like Kristoph's psyche locks, Apollo and Trucy, what happened during the timeskip, and Klavier's lack of any character development.

JFA...had one good case. Cases 1 and 3 were execrable. Case 2 was firmly okay, and while it served as great set up for Trials and Tribulations that's about all it did. Franziska was a fun prosecutor and I like her a lot, which makes the fact that she gets shot and barely appears in the final case even as a witness worse.

Dual Destinies has Simon and Athena, Aura Blackquill, the DLC case which is really good, and that is about it. Clumsy plot twists with zero foreshadowing, one-note mustache-twirling villains of which I think one even had the decency to be charismatic about it, tell-don't-show storytelling, the Dark Age of the Law plot which made no sense, and a main villain who is a waste of a good concept and leaves countless plot holes.

t3isukone fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 10, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's been way too long since I've played the 3DS games, mostly because they're trapped on my 3DS with a dead battery

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I beat GAA2 a couple days ago. What a wild ride. GAA Chronicles is easily the best in the series.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Do you think we'll get another Prelude to Pursuit or is that another far off dream like another Presto Cross Examination?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I wish they’d do Presto again.

GAA1 Reasoning Battle works so well as Graydon’s final testimony and I wish that were used more in the duology

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Every time he does pose this it freaks me out. I can only imagine what it would have been like on the 3ds

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's the 20th anniversary in Japan!

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

flavor.flv posted:

Every time he does pose this it freaks me out. I can only imagine what it would have been like on the 3ds

who the gently caress is holmes?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Holmes is the name to avoid copyright from the Dorthur Anon Coyle estate’s famous Sholmes stories

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You're thinking of Maurice LeBlanc

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's Ladder Day

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Do you mean Stepladder Day?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

When is shovel day?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Just beat Chapter 3 of the first game and the plot's starting to get good. Never played a Phoenix Wright game before but I have played all the Danganronpas. Is the original trilogy available on switch cause I think I wanna play those next.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Just beat Chapter 3 of the first game and the plot's starting to get good. Never played a Phoenix Wright game before but I have played all the Danganronpas. Is the original trilogy available on switch cause I think I wanna play those next.

The original trilogy is indeed on Switch and you should absolutely play those next! Sadly the more recent trilogy isn't but it is on mobile if you decide you still want more when you get there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Though there's a very high chance that a collection of 456 is in development and that would probably also come to Switch.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

So I just beat the first Great Ace Attorney. I'll admit, after getting 3 cases deep, I was quite underwhelmed, and I didn't fully get the hype. Every new mechanic felt shallow, and the period-piece setting felt underutilized--I was especially salty because I saw a lot of hype for case 3 of this game that felt undeserved after playing it.

However, case 4 was a great AA case in its own right, and case 5 was fantastic, and it made the rest of the game better in hindsight.

I love the majority of the cast, especially Holmes and Susato. I was wary of Ryunosuke, but he grew on me greatly come case 5, and Barak Von Zieks loving rules--he's like a Vincent Price who was slightly less self aware and went to the gym, he's phenomenal. The comic relief of case 5 are probably some of my favorite Shu Takemi designs as well; their visual gags actually slayed me.

I thought the "Scuse Me!" mechanic was totally under-cooked, as it felt like a worse version of Perceive in almost every manner, but I'm expecting it will be elaborated on in the sequel.

Overall, I'm psyched to start the 2nd game!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

It's insane to me that anyone thinks either of the 3DS games are better than any of the trilogy games. I guess that's the beauty of video games

The real insanity is that anyone thinks GBA or 3DS is better than DS-era.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The DS era is literally just the GBA games plus Apollo Justice.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
And the Investigations!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yes, there's three whole games even without counting GBA ports. :v:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

And there are five 3ds games, all of them better than Justice for All

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Justice for All is good and I'd put it as better than the original release of PW:AA, but I'm one of the freaks who likes 2-3 mainly because I thought the trial sections were really good. I thought the only outright bad case was 2-1 because it took until the third game before they realized that the "tutorial" case should also be engaging for people who have played the prior games.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I like 2-3 too because it made me think that child murder, might be okay.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

I like 2-3 too because it made me think that child murder, might be okay.

for regina berry, specifically, it is

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I just bought the trilogy remaster and they added checkmarks to investigation scenes so you don't have to pixel hunt endlessly?

Game changer. GOTY

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Trial Part 1 GAA2-4: It'd probably ruin it, but I still kinda wish that the jury was around to join the entire court in telling Ryunosuke to PAY UP, COUNSEL

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Justice for All is good and I'd put it as better than the original release of PW:AA, but I'm one of the freaks who likes 2-3 mainly because I thought the trial sections were really good. I thought the only outright bad case was 2-1 because it took until the third game before they realized that the "tutorial" case should also be engaging for people who have played the prior games.

Honestly, you have a decent point. With that in mind, I think 2-1 might be my least favorite case in the series. The amnesia thing is tacky, and the perp's gimmick is shallow, wearing itself out quicker than most. Plus, the big "gotcha" twists are kinda underwhelming too.

Case 2-3 has a bad rap (and deservedly so imo), but at least it sucks with a bang. I respect a spectacular failure more than a middling one.

E:

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like there's two metrics to judge prosecutors on: how they are written as characters and how they are written as an obstacle in the gameplay. Some are good at both, some are good characters but bad at being rivals, and some are Sahdmadi.

I just want to add that I appreciate this comment. I haven't seen this concept verbalized before, and, thinking back, I understand why people who lean one way or the other might have predilections for specific prosecutors. And it's just a great way to point out why Sahdmadi is a putz.

Jumping off of that, I've seen a lot of people greatly enjoy Blackquill as a prosecutor. Why is that? I've only played AA5 through one time, and I have to admit he didn't leave much of sn impression on me, though that may be more indicative of the game as a whole rather than of Blackquill as a character.

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 17, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Blackquill is the first proper no-frills prosecutor in the series, despite his frankly too-many personal gimmicks. He's in court because he thinks the defendant is guilty, he plays it fair, and he's not five steps ahead of you and actually gets to be surprised quite often when new information comes to light. No other prosecutor actually checks all those boxes, even if a bunch come close.

He also has a stoic badass vibe while being a massive dork at heart, though I don't know how much of that is specific to the localization. In Japanese it was probably less weird to act like a ronin, but the English version took the logical course of action and made him a giant weeb.

The moment I personally remember most fondly was in the third case, where Athena was going off on some wild goose chase or another (I wanna say it was the "you're a goner/Hugh O'Connor" question) and he just straight up goes "yeah I'm not even going to humor this; I'm gonna go take a walk" and just leaves the courtroom for the next couple testimonies. He had exactly as much respect for that case as I did, and it ruled. Plus the entirety of 6-4 that's just him stealing the show from minute one.

Dual Destinies is probably my least favorite main series game, but none of that is Blackquill's fault. He did all he could for it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I liked how Blackquill was written. He always has an argument for why the trial should continue and has methods that, while aggressive, are consistent with his ultimately noble motivations. Compare that to someone like Klavier who should be decent on paper but who is constantly acting dishonestly and often ploughing on even after his argument has been essentially completely defeated by the defense.

GAA did also do this better though so it might just be a general writing change. Since you had 3 full games of the prosecutor basically always being an rear end in a top hat that might've just been what they defaulted to for AJ.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Great ace attorney did it better because the creator had just come off of Layton vs Wright where "smug prosecutor who's way better at law than you" didn't fit the story so he had to try something new, and it turns out people liked "noble knight who cares about justice" a lot better

For his next game he kind of slid backwards a bit and did "smug knight who cares about justice and is way better at law than you" but it was still an improvement

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i kind of fell off Blackquill in his intro when they attempted to make "he can make a persuasive argument" into some kind of gimmick or superpower

also Zieks is really good at raising the exact same objections i have with the defense's argument which always makes me feel clever.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

flavor.flv posted:

Great ace attorney did it better because the creator had just come off of Layton vs Wright where "smug prosecutor who's way better at law than you" didn't fit the story so he had to try something new, and it turns out people liked "noble knight who cares about justice" a lot better

For his next game he kind of slid backwards a bit and did "smug knight who cares about justice and is way better at law than you" but it was still an improvement

I've always thought Barnham is a little underrated, probably thanks to the game he was in. Him winding up his desk-slam more and more was fun too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, it's hard for the prosecutor to make an impact when two thirds of the game they're in is not an Ace Attorney game. It also doesn't help that he really didn't have an arc and just disappeared in the final case.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Barnham is a special wonderful treasure but I don't think "I have never heard of this 'logic' of yours until just now, but if applied to your own case, does it not show a fault?" would have worked a second time, let alone in a setting where law school exists.

van Zieks is the perfect iteration on both Barnham and Godot and is the best prosecutor in the series besides.

E: also every main prosecutor between Klavier and Sadmahdi was a knight. There's been as many of those as there have been von Karmas. That's kind of weird.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like how bad the jury system is in the game as a backstory on why they aren't used in AA

like the "jury can end the trial whenever they feel like it" rule seems very rude