Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I was having a good time posting and reading posts about my fave game. Everyone's allowed to be mad about videogames, even though I strongly recommend not doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I was just destroying gamers with facts and logic

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Being mad about videogames is one of my favorite activities! Sometimes even in this thread, by mistake :v:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
DX:HR is a fantastic game. I really enjoy the gameplay and the story and have replayed it several times even though I like Mankind Divided better.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I never asked for this derail

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain DIEgiene posted:

Sometimes even in this thread, by mistake :v:

I agree. We've all erred coming here.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
On the last mission of Hitman 2, in spite of being penalized for killing non-targets, I did anyway when it was the best available solution to a particular area and I could do it without alerting everywhere. It helped that it was a masquerade party for ultra rich survivalists to buy bunkers and poo poo. The thing dragging it down was that the whole island wasn't a free fire zone.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i think i agree with Vic's argument fundamentally but i am not sure because it feels like everything has become so convuluted.

actually i even know what we are arguing about anymore.

Deus Ex MD good?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sally posted:

i think i agree with Vic's argument fundamentally but i am not sure because it feels like everything has become so convuluted.

Deus Ex MD good?

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is half of an amazing game. The other half was cancelled.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Cleretic posted:

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is half of an amazing game. The other half was cancelled.

The three extra stories (Desperate Measures, System Rift, and A Criminal Past) make up for a lot of the missing content. System Rift's bank heist is especially good.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I can see where Both Sides are coming from in this discussion.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Yeah this is how I feel about it.

I'll play another Deus Ex Reboot if they ever make it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Yeah this is how I feel about it.

I'll play another Deus Ex Reboot if they ever make it

Apparently the team (or whatever is left of them) is what is making the Guardians of the Galaxy game due out this month.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Sally posted:

Deus Ex MD good?

The gist is, is a cutscene which evokes negative emotions a "punishment" from the developers for playing the game "wrong"? It seems kind of silly to put it that way, I mean lots of classic stories have sad endings. There are whole genres with names like "tragedy" and "horror"!

Separately, does giving more xp for nonlethal actions incentivise playing nonlethal? Well, of course it does. The first time you play the game you'll kill someone, see you yet 30 xp, then knock someone out and see you get 50xp, and think "ok ill knock people out then" because you don't know how much xp is in the game and how much you'll need to get all the good upgrades.

Separately again, GOAT Alpha Protocol has an "orphans created" stat for killing enemies and a "hospital bills" stat for knockouts, a nice reminder that either way you're harming people

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Alpha Protocol has an "orphans created" stat for killing enemies

IIRC while you're in the Middle East, this number goes up by 2-4 or more for each death, while in China it goes up by 1.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Alright now that we've gotten to the bottom of this Deus Ex problem, let's talk about how much Adam you get for sparing Little Sisters or killing them. :twisted:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Frankly I think you get enough Adam by just playing DXHR and MD.

Sally posted:

Deus Ex MD good?

Mankind Divided is mechanically and level design wise full of Little Things in games and better than DXHR.

Then there's the story which as Cleretic pointed out just kinda misses the second half.

Also it revolves around the prosecution of augs which gets unintentionally more and more offensive the more parallels to real world it makes. Not a fan.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is half of an amazing game. The other two thirds were cancelled

Wasn't it meant to be a trilogy, not a duology?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Vic posted:

Also it revolves around the prosecution of augs which gets unintentionally more and more offensive the more parallels to real world it makes. Not a fan.

Persecution; prosecution is the act of determining if someone is guilty in court. (Which is a separate game that I also want to play, Cyberpunk Ace Attorney would be great)

But I stand by the thought that going for the angle of 'anti-augmented discrimination' isn't a bad idea, they just picked the wrong kinds of discrimination to base it on, and went too hard on it in the wrong places. I've mentioned before, but basing it on racism is definitely wrong both in terms of insensitivity and of the actual kinds of discrimination augmented people in that universe would face. A lot of other forms of discrimination wouldn't work either, for various reasons; the discrimination seen by war veterans is a tonal fit, but typically too subtle to work for a video game. Ableism would ring hollow with an able-bodied protagonist even if you did everything else right. Personally, I think the best angle would've been to base it on homophobia through the 20th and 21st centuries, but even then you'd hit problems with making direct parallels.

Although really, no matter what, you hit an issue with grappling with problems like that in a story like Deus Ex, because Deus Ex has 'there are shadowy organizations running the world' built into its DNA. By nature, every problem in that game universe has been somehow orchestrated by shadowy people running the world in a secret boardroom. Even if you loving nail the rest of a narrative making parallels between augmented people and the gay community during the AIDS crisis or something, it's not going to work when it ends in 'punch this specific rear end in a top hat in the dick for happy ending'.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 09:21 on Oct 10, 2021

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

Byzantine posted:

IIRC while you're in the Middle East, this number goes up by 2-4 or more for each death, while in China it goes up by 1.

And when you kill the high-tech tactical operators of G22, it doesn't go up at all.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Idk, it made me feel a genuine kind of creeping horror as the pogrom tightened, I thought the outrage was a little overblown.

I'm sure they could have done it better but trying to evoke real world horror is better than being afraid to try in case people yell at you.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Alright now that we've gotten to the bottom of this Deus Ex problem, let's talk about how much Adam you get for sparing Little Sisters or killing them. :twisted:

If you're very quick and interrupt a couple of supposed-to-be-scripted events, you can kill two little sisters and still get the good ending, so that's the optimal strategy.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Shiroc posted:

On the last mission of Hitman 2, in spite of being penalized for killing non-targets, I did anyway when it was the best available solution to a particular area and I could do it without alerting everywhere. It helped that it was a masquerade party for ultra rich survivalists to buy bunkers and poo poo. The thing dragging it down was that the whole island wasn't a free fire zone.

Oh I killed EVERYONE I could get away with in that level.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Idk, it made me feel a genuine kind of creeping horror as the pogrom tightened, I thought the outrage was a little overblown.

I'm sure they could have done it better but trying to evoke real world horror is better than being afraid to try in case people yell at you.

That part is fine, but the writing ingame is mixing several struggles into this AND then both sides'ing the whole thing...

Plus I don't buy the premise of everyone getting augs from DXHR in the first place.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vic posted:

That part is fine, but the writing ingame is mixing several struggles into this AND then both sides'ing the whole thing...

Plus I don't buy the premise of everyone getting augs from DXHR in the first place.

Do you want to be hired? Do you have augs, or are willing to get them?

Well that's nice you, but Applicant B does have augs, so we're hiring Applicant B. Good luck being employed never.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
My White Mage in FFXIV is dressed up like a cowboy and my Samurai is a pirate. My Dancer is wearing lace panties and silk stockings and an oversized Fat Chocobo head.

Dress-up in games is fun! Silly costumes are great!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do you want to be hired? Do you have augs, or are willing to get them?

Well that's nice you, but Applicant B does have augs, so we're hiring Applicant B. Good luck being employed never.

Nah it's dumb. The neuropozine dependency is known from the get go. They require lol energy to work. Can't self repair like your limbs do. 99% of jobs wouldn't benefit from you having one. Proprietary. Look dumb. Incredible health risk.

Game pretends it makes sense but it doesn't.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Why would corporations care about any of that if their workers can get .5% higher efficiency, though?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

In my head canon the aug incident is just augs trying to extract that 20xp by punching everyone around them.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Vic posted:

In my head canon the aug incident is just augs trying to extract that 20xp by punching everyone around them.
"You're lucky you're worth more to me alive than dead" [dislocates both of their arms with high-speed spinning motion]

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Vic posted:

Nah it's dumb. The neuropozine dependency is known from the get go. They require lol energy to work. Can't self repair like your limbs do. 99% of jobs wouldn't benefit from you having one. Proprietary. Look dumb. Incredible health risk.

This is like that one tweet that's gone around recently of an article saying 'Shinra being an all-powerful company in FFVII doesn't make sense, because people would simply choose not to support them'.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

If you're very quick and interrupt a couple of supposed-to-be-scripted events, you can kill two little sisters and still get the good ending, so that's the optimal strategy.
Can you show me this in a spreadsheet so I can understand better?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vic posted:

Cool story, you're fired, we got someone new in and slapped new augs on them to get back to work.

Also we'll subsidize your energy costs if you work for us. If not, sucks to be you.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Cool story, you're fired, we got someone new in and slapped new augs on them to get back to work.

Also we'll subsidize your energy costs if you work for us. If not, sucks to be you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Augs are also in the peak novelty phase at the time of HR so everyone is getting them if they can. People assume the drug dependence will be innovated away, and to be fair they're sorta right.

Imagine if your boss could require you to take meth.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Lol if Amazon could slap crippling augments onto their employees to make them 10% faster in the warehouses while only having to pay them a dollar more they'd do it in a heartbeat and then dump their rear end the moment the person became less than useful.

And for many people if the choice was between starving to death in an alley or getting surgery to get a job, they'd probably choose the latter.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think augs got a lot more relevant again in the last few years. It is tech bro scum literally charging you rent for your arm/eyes/nervous system.

Likewise, the modern twentysomething not only rents their apartment. All their music is rented from spotify, their books are only available through amazon, their movies are rented from netflix, their access to food is rented from those awful delivery subscriptions. You own nothing so it can all be taken away from you on a whim.

How long before our clothes are being provided on a £30 a month (incl 3 free replacements!!!) subscription too?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cleretic posted:

Persecution; prosecution is the act of determining if someone is guilty in court. (Which is a separate game that I also want to play, Cyberpunk Ace Attorney would be great)
'.

"And that's precisely how this other person committed the crime,nprocing without the shadow of a doubt how innocenty client is!"
*Judge looks over at BioCorp representative in the front seat of the audience, who shakes his head*
"I don't see it, your client is guilty, trial adjourned"

Then your client's bus is blown up on the way to the labour camps.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Augs are also in the peak novelty phase at the time of HR so everyone is getting them if they can. People assume the drug dependence will be innovated away, and to be fair they're sorta right.

Imagine if your boss could require you to take meth.

I mean, they still sort of do if you're in a lot of world's militaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Cleretic posted:

This is like that one tweet that's gone around recently of an article saying 'Shinra being an all-powerful company in FFVII doesn't make sense, because people would simply choose not to support them'.

Just to be clear I'm not talking about corporate dystopia not making sense, seeing as we're living in it. I'm talking about the specifics of the technology and how it's implemented in that universe. I could extrapolate, whip out some spreadsheets if anyone's interested.

But suffice to say, the nitty gritty of how everyone got augmented was handwaved. It would be military, law enforcement, organized crime, not Jenny from accounting running around with robolegs. Corps are motivated by greed. Spending money to augment a single person, instead of just outsourcing their job is far fetched. You could make it work but as it is, the game just kinda generally gestures at ideas. There's a lot of character drama and little hard sci fi in the logs and emails. Don't @ me.